Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452196 times)

Obelix2007 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #7550 on: April 01, 2022, 09:27:28 am »
Have you tried to change the settings for ENCODER_PULSES and ENCODER_STEPS as indman suggested?

Offline wizard1

• Contributor
« Reply #7551 on: April 02, 2022, 07:32:55 am »
Have you tried to change the settings for ENCODER_PULSES and ENCODER_STEPS as indman suggested?

I tried changing those tonight. They have an impact to the rotary action but not to the switch action when I push the encoder shaft. After some more testing I believe this might be due to glitching on the switch line but I'm still not clear on why k firmware doesn't have a problem with the glitch.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7552 on: April 02, 2022, 10:59:55 am »
OK! Then we will consider the Test4 version as definitely working for the GM328A + clone and stop there. I will delete the rest of the versions so that they do not mislead users. ;)

Hello Indman, I think will be installing winavr to get back to compiling some of this stuff. Where would I find Test4 of Markus 1.45m source code to compile and play with it?

Many thanks,

Ray

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7553 on: April 02, 2022, 11:44:04 am »
Hi rddube!
I added the Test4 firmware along with the necessary configuration files config.h and config_328.h to the "GM328(A+)" folder on my resource https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z. Look carefully and you will find everything. I also added a Readme!!!.txt file in English to the "CloneTester" root folder, which explains how to quickly find the firmware you need from the clone photo. ;)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7554 on: April 02, 2022, 01:20:17 pm »
I tried changing those tonight. They have an impact to the rotary action but not to the switch action when I push the encoder shaft. After some more testing I believe this might be due to glitching on the switch line but I'm still not clear on why k firmware doesn't have a problem with the glitch.

So it's the encoder's push button which causes the issue. The k-firmware manages the rotary encoder a little bit different than the m-firmware. The m-firmware is able to monitor multiple user inputs at the same time. That's why I asked about pushing the knob accidently. Since you didn't the rotary encoder seems to have a flaky push button.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7555 on: April 03, 2022, 12:56:20 am »
Hi rddube!
I added the Test4 firmware along with the necessary configuration files config.h and config_328.h to the "GM328(A+)" folder on my resource https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z. Look carefully and you will find everything. I also added a Readme!!!.txt file in English to the "CloneTester" root folder, which explains how to quickly find the firmware you need from the clone photo. ;)

Hello Indman...finally got my compiling environment up and running. The code in the archive for Test4 firmware compiles for me @ over 90K (hex) whereas the version you had sent me and that is already compiled in the archive is at 88.2K (hex)? Could it be that you left config.h and config328.h with the code for Test5 or Test6 ? Also, which part needs to be changed to change the font used?

Many thanks!

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7556 on: April 03, 2022, 01:27:13 am »
Ok, so I found it in the config files - seems my compiler compiles a little larger than yours, but the code works perfectly well (Test4 version of the config.h and config328 files).

Will be experimenting now and report back if I discover anything special.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7557 on: April 03, 2022, 09:49:16 am »
Question for programmers - I'd like to modify the ESR function of Markus version 1.45m so that it probes every X seconds, just like when you start the tester with automatic probing. How difficult would that be? Or maybe it has already been done?

Many thanks,

Ray
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 10:08:42 am by rddube »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7558 on: April 03, 2022, 10:13:39 am »
Question for programmers - I'd like to modify the ESR function of Markus version 1.45m so that it probes every X seconds, just like when you start the tester with automatic probing.
Why don't you like the RCL Monitor option? That's exactly what it's designed for-automatic monitoring!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 02:48:44 pm by indman »

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7559 on: April 03, 2022, 10:23:13 am »
Question for programmers - I'd like to modify the ESR function of Markus version 1.45m so that it probes every X seconds, just like when you start the tester with automatic probing.
Why don't you like the RCL Monitor option? That's exactly what it's designed for-autonatic monitoring!

Hello Indman! Ok, maybe I don't understand this, but I mean the ESR function (testing caps in circuit), whenever I want to test a cap, I have to press the test button while holding the 2 probes...I'd like it to probe automatically every 5 seconds for example. Is there a way to activate this? I know that when you start the tester you can have both modes available (automatic probing or wait for keypress) and I would like to be able to have the automatic probing in the ESR function? Tks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 10:24:53 am by rddube »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7560 on: April 03, 2022, 10:31:00 am »
rddube,The in-circuit ESR measurement function of this tester has a 50% chance of obtaining a reliable result, as well as any measurement of a part in a circuit. There are many factors that affect the test result. Therefore, I exclude this function from my mod firmware. For in-circuit measurements, it is necessary to use highly specialized devices that are designed for this kind of measurement. Better yet, test parts that are dismantled from the circuit - this is the main purpose of this device.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 10:34:29 am by indman »

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7561 on: April 03, 2022, 12:36:14 pm »
rddube,The in-circuit ESR measurement function of this tester has a 50% chance of obtaining a reliable result, as well as any measurement of a part in a circuit. There are many factors that affect the test result. Therefore, I exclude this function from my mod firmware. For in-circuit measurements, it is necessary to use highly specialized devices that are designed for this kind of measurement. Better yet, test parts that are dismantled from the circuit - this is the main purpose of this device.

I hear you Indman and I know it's not very accurate, but I do like to use it when I can. Certainly, if I suspect a capacitor to be bad, I'll take it out of circuit to test. Right now, I use the 1.13k version of this function because you don't have to press the test button to have it measure, albeit as inacurate as it may be. Was just wondering if I could make the 1.45m version to work in the same manner.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7562 on: April 03, 2022, 02:16:59 pm »
Have you tried SW_MONITOR_C (in config.h)?

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7563 on: April 03, 2022, 02:57:15 pm »
Have you tried SW_MONITOR_C (in config.h)?

Hello Madires,

If I enable SW_MONITOR_C it doesn't change anything. Should I disable SW_MONITOR_RCL and enable SW_MONITOR_C ?

Thank you!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7564 on: April 03, 2022, 03:42:14 pm »
Enter the main menu and run "C Monitor". ;)

The following users thanked this post: rddube

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7565 on: April 03, 2022, 05:00:34 pm »

That works perfectly! Thank you Madires!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:08:01 pm by rddube »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7566 on: April 03, 2022, 05:36:04 pm »
I don't see much difference in the universal RCL Monitor mode, which also includes a separate C Monitor. ;)

Offline Felipe Lacerda

• Contributor
« Reply #7567 on: April 04, 2022, 10:34:03 pm »
hi guys,

Attached to the (new/old) T7 images, the circuit doesn't look the same as the previous ones with a step-up transformer. :-//
firmware v3.12k? :-DD

The measurements I got:
Resistor   2.2 \$\Omega\$
DMM       2.2 \$\Omega\$
T7          1.8 \$\Omega\$  :--
(Should this compromise ESR measures, or not?)

What can I do to improve performance?
Does it support 1.45m firmware?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:10:18 am by Felipe Lacerda »

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7568 on: April 05, 2022, 05:58:49 am »
Felipe Lacerda, You have a new type of T7 clone that has an ATMega328 processor and no STC power controller. Apparently the Chinese comrades have run out of ATMega324 and ATMega644 processors! ;D In any case, you first need to thoroughly rinse the board from flux residue and repeat the calibration. If this does not help, then with a high probability the firmware from GM328A (AY-AT) with minor modifications should be suitable for your clone. ;)

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia, hg1dfb

Offline anwfeb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7569 on: April 05, 2022, 07:25:07 am »
hi, i have a clone of LCR TC1 with atmega644 change as published by indman, i have been using it so far it's good, but i just found a resistor measurement problem for small value measurement for example 0.22 ohm then if i measure with pin pins 1 and 3 the result the test always changes in a few seconds, for example to 0.23 0.24 0.21 0.19 my question is, is this reasonable? and can i fix this shortcoming? i have changed the stable LDO, 431 shunt, also 680 and 470k resistors with 0.1% but the test results are still not getting good results for resistance measurement..

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7570 on: April 05, 2022, 07:34:31 am »
anwfeb,show results of hardware tests T1-T6

Offline anwfeb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7571 on: April 05, 2022, 08:11:39 am »
Please check..

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7572 on: April 05, 2022, 08:17:51 am »
Great results, congratulations! In what mode are you measuring resistance? Measure a 0.22 resistor between pins 1-2 and 2-3. Will there be a difference in the readings? Also try the RCL Monitor mode.

Offline anwfeb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7573 on: April 05, 2022, 08:26:28 am »
yes. I have changed many components to get a better value, but the measurement value < 1 ohm the results always change, for tests on legs 2 and 3 or 1 and 2 the test results also change when I press the first test start for example the 0.23 ohm result then test start next 0.21 ohms. is the problem on the pcb line that is too small? until the reading is not accurate because the small PCB path seems to have obstacles, and is the atmega644PA U-TH different from atmega644PA AU? because the component supplier in my country only has atmega644PA U-TH if this is the main problem then I have to buy imports for atmega644PA AU because I don't know for sure what is the cause of this problem..

In what mode are you measuring resistance?
I tested in auto/transistor mode on pins 1 and 3 but directly connected to Resistor and Inductor mode

for RCL Monitor i haven't tested it
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:29:21 am by anwfeb »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7574 on: April 05, 2022, 08:34:24 am »
anwfeb,drift of measurement results within + - 0.05Ω is quite possible for many reasons - do not forget that this is just a tester, and not a professional meter. The drift is affected by the shortcomings of the ADC of an 8-bit processor, the heating of ports, the quality and batch of the processor, etc. d.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf