Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3453357 times)

NikolaSoft and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #7850 on: August 21, 2022, 10:54:15 am »
Just a short observation though. On the schematic it is missing the LED between R6 and Q3.
Yes, thank you, I will supplement the scheme with this missing element, which plays an important role in the scheme.

I am confronting myself with the following problem: while the tester is working fine, when I press the TEST button, the current consumption is 220 mA (!!) and the battery voltage is reported wrong (7.72V instead of 8.9V). Transistor Q1 gets very hot. Alcohol evaporates almost instantly on it, in comparison with the other components. If I supply 6V instead of 9V, the current consumption drops to about 70mA, still too much IMO. Could it be a faulty capacitor C1?

This is already a known unpleasant problem for this clone. Look carefully at the picture I attached below and everything will become clear to you. Instead of a 3.3V Zener, a 3.3 volt stabilizer should be installed in the sot-23 to power the TFT screen, and the board is divorced incorrectly.2 and 3 outputs shorts are connected on the board. Drawn in red. Tracks need to be cut. In fact, there is a zener diode directly parallel to the output of the 7805. VCC instead of five sinks to 4 volts, and wild consumption from the battery. In the absence of stabilizers in sot-23, I put 1117-3.3 in sot-223, it is better to leave the resistor in front of the TFT screen at one 100 ohms, but you only need to solder it from the seat, it goes straight to 5 volts.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 10:56:48 am by indman »

Offline masster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7851 on: August 21, 2022, 11:50:16 am »
@indman
1) Is the schematic attached the correct one? I mean, having all the corrections already applied?
2) Resistors R3 and R5 are 33K. Shouldn't be R3=10K and R5=3K3 to show the correct value of the battery voltage?
3) I have attached a high resolution photo of my board. Can you draw on it again, please? Because the other photo is low resolution, and I can't see exactly what to cut and what to connect.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7852 on: August 21, 2022, 01:18:05 pm »
1. Yes, the scheme is correct.
2. You can change the resistors R3-R5 if you want to use new k and m-firmware. Or compile the firmware for the divider 33k/33k yourself.
3. I showed in the photo which jumper should be removed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 01:29:50 pm by indman »

The following users thanked this post: masster

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7853 on: August 23, 2022, 03:41:01 am »
has anyone ported this to a 329 or 629 ? how much code would need to change ?
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #7854 on: August 23, 2022, 08:38:46 am »
I'm not aware of anyone. No idea! If the 329 is basically a 328 plus additional features, then it should be just some minor adaptions.

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7855 on: August 23, 2022, 11:47:22 am »
Appart from being on a 64pin case, the main features of the 329pa look similar to those of 328pb. Attached a quick comparison.

Offline Jacon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7856 on: August 23, 2022, 11:53:15 am »
... a 328 plus additional features...
329 seems to have additional LCD controller only...

Offline masster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7857 on: August 25, 2022, 04:01:43 am »
Quote from: indman on August 21, 2022, 06:18:05 am
1. Yes, the scheme is correct.
2. You can change the resistors R3-R5 if you want to use new k and m-firmware. Or compile the firmware for the divider 33k/33k yourself.
3. I showed in the photo which jumper should be removed.

>@indman

It would help a lot for future owners of Fish-8840TFT to find in Clone Tester folder on YandDisk a detailed description of the modifications they have to make. In my opinion, the easiest to understand would be to draw 2 schematics. One schematic should show the original WRONG tracks and components (from factory) and another schematic the CORRECT ones.

Thank you for everything.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7858 on: August 26, 2022, 01:23:47 am »
does anyone have this thing available as a Atmel studio 7 project ?

i got as far as getting the gcc compiler installed and make and got it to build.
then i installed atmel studio 7. now make under the command prompt no longer works . it throws an error " the system cannot find the path specified".
Everything worked fine until installed studio 7.

i can also not import the makefile into studio 7 using the makefile import tool. it keeps complaining the makefile is not correct.

i'm getting frustrated ... why is this stuff always so bloody complicated.

or is there an other ide with the abilities of visual studio to edit this project ? if so : how to install it and load this as a project ?

thanks

more info :
if i run make on a freshly unzipped tarball it works fine.
if i re-run make without doing anything else i get the "the system cannot find the path specified" error

c:\comptester\make <enter>
..... compiles complete and produces output
c:\comptester\make <enter>
The system cannot find the path specified -barf-

-edit 2-
offending line is 221 : -include $(shell mkdir dep 2>/dev/null ....
i commented it out.

now i can import in studio 7 and the build works there too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 03:21:35 am by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7859 on: August 26, 2022, 11:34:18 pm »
Let's say we received a new Chinese T7 clone, a TQFP32 MCU without any marks @16MHz. Is there any way to make an educated guess on what knock-off it can be, LGT8F328P or other?

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7860 on: August 27, 2022, 06:24:34 am »
Feliciano,this is not difficult to do. ATmega and LGT8F have detailed documentation.It is enough to look closely at the location of Vcc and GND to determine the processor family.

The following users thanked this post: Feliciano

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #7861 on: August 27, 2022, 09:20:43 am »
What is  the best transistor tester to buy?

Not really interested in hacking it, just in getting the more advanced one of the many options available in the web.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Offline amershehzadawan

« Reply #7862 on: August 27, 2022, 11:52:34 am »
Hi everyone

first of all i really admire this great project. i salute all developrs of this project.

i am writing this after reading numerous posts in eevblog.com and mikrocontroller.net as well Transistortester documentation and source files at github repository and various firmware files at Yandex drive.

As this project progresses and so far no commercial transistor testor includes new features like continuity tester or ring tester. So i decided to make this testor on Atmega2560. But this chip (and others 644/1280) are not available in my country and Atmega328 has shorter flash memory and so forth i am only left to arduino version of Atmega2560.

The github repository includes Arduino Mega2560 'hex' and 'eeprom' files of newly released version 1.47m and also the source files.
I understood the software options required to be set in config.h or makefile etc.

My questions are

1 What are the hardware changes required for version 1.47m to be make to the arduino mega board to make this testor workable, apart from required 0.1 resistors etc and shorting of two pins to make frequency generator work. Do we have a schematic which includes continuity with buzzer option, zener testor, ring testor etc.
2 How to flash eeprom file to arduino mega.

If someone has already made some progress towards making this testor on arduino Mega2560 please share with me. It would be very helpful.
i know a version 1.13k that has made by plouc68000 two years back. But that does not include newly included fantastic options. And i am unable to translate '.c' to '.ino' files like he did.

your help will make my day

Thanks and regards,

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7863 on: August 27, 2022, 02:28:57 pm »

Not really interested in hacking it, just in getting the more advanced one of the many options available in the web.

Please see https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/blob/master/Documentation/English/Clone-Comparison-Chart.pdf!

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, Calambres, nez

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7864 on: August 27, 2022, 02:40:32 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg4291063/#msg4291063
This clone of T4 is not based on the original ATmega328, but so far on a processor known only to FNIRSI.
The marking on the ATMega328PU-TH case is a fake
Attention! Check with the seller which version of LCR-T4 he will send you, because updating the firmware and upgrading(repair) it is not yet possible! If this is important to you, then this version of the clone has a Chinese APT32F172K8T6 processor installed  ;)

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia, Calambres

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7865 on: August 27, 2022, 02:49:51 pm »
1 What are the hardware changes required for version 1.47m to be make to the arduino mega board to make this testor workable, apart from required 0.1 resistors etc and shorting of two pins to make frequency generator work. Do we have a schematic which includes continuity with buzzer option, zener testor, ring testor etc.

We don't have a reference schematic for ATmega2560, but it's fairly simple to add the hardware options. Have you seen the required settings for Arduino in the Clones file and the default pin assignments in config_1280.h?

Via avrdude for example (either directly via the ISP header, or when the Arduino bootloader is flashed via the USB2serial onboard adapter).

If someone has already made some progress towards making this testor on arduino Mega2560 please share with me. It would be very helpful.
i know a version 1.13k that has made by plouc68000 two years back. But that does not include newly included fantastic options. And i am unable to translate '.c' to '.ino' files like he did.

I've tested the m-firmware on a Mega2560 clone and it works fine. Ports for Arduino use the Arduino HAL which takes away some ressources and therefore limits what is possible, i.e. some features aren't available.

The following users thanked this post: amershehzadawan

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #7866 on: August 27, 2022, 05:47:15 pm »

Please see https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/blob/master/Documentation/English/Clone-Comparison-Chart.pdf!

Thanks, mate!

Offline amershehzadawan

« Reply #7867 on: August 27, 2022, 07:50:17 pm »
Thankyou MADIRES for your prompt reply.

i will check and reply.

Greetings

Offline masster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7868 on: September 03, 2022, 06:58:32 pm »
Quote from: amershehzadawan on August 27, 2022, 04:52:34 am
My questions are

>

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7869 on: September 04, 2022, 11:08:59 am »
Then it's most likely caused by damaged I/O pins. To verify this you can run the self test and look for strange values (or post them here).

I de-fluxed the board, cleaned-up a few things, looked for cracks, shorts, etc.  I didn't find a smoking-gun.

I entered menu mode, select "test", it asks for a short, I install the short, and then nothing happens.  I wait a minute, click the button, and it goes back to the main menu.
I entered the menu mode, select "adjustment", and get the same result as "test".

I entered "show values" I find the following:
Ri- 20 ohms
Ri+ 22 ohms
C0 43 pF
R0 0.2 ohms
Vref 1084 mV
Vcc 5049 mV *
Acomp 0 mV

I had the exact same problem, I changed the AtMega328p and it came back to normal. The AtMega was damaged.

Offline masster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7870 on: September 04, 2022, 03:55:53 pm »
@indman
Here is the schematic for Fish-8840TFT updated with the original, wrong circuit schematic for 3.3V.
By the way, the current consumption dropped from 180mA to 26mA after correction.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7871 on: September 04, 2022, 04:14:49 pm »
@indman
Here is the schematic for Fish-8840TFT updated with the original, wrong circuit schematic for 3.3V.
There are several variants of the Chinese clone Fish8840TFT - on a blue and green printed circuit board. The option on the green board does not have the same error as on the blue one.Therefore, the correct schematic diagram is on my resource. And I gave you the error variant above in the message #7850. This is a child's mistake, which can be easily detected by any amateur radio operator with experience. If he can't fix such a simple mistake, then the question is why does he need this device? ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 07:56:34 am by indman »

Offline Substance

« Reply #7872 on: September 05, 2022, 12:11:40 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg4291063/#msg4291063
This clone of T4 is not based on the original ATmega328, but so far on a processor known only to FNIRSI.
The marking on the ATMega328PU-TH case is a fake
Attention! Check with the seller which version of LCR-T4 he will send you, because updating the firmware and upgrading(repair) it is not yet possible! If this is important to you, then this version of the clone has a Chinese APT32F172K8T6 processor installed  ;)
Thank you for this information. How did you find out that it has an APT32F172K8T6 microcontroller? I recently bought an LCR-T4 and, unfortunately, I received the "V4.1.3_2022/5/18" hardware version of this tester. I immediately saw something unusual about the microcontroller, and I checked how the (+5V) supply connects to the MCU: GND to pin 18 and VDD to pin 19!

No, this cannot be an Atmel ATmega328P, and the supply pins do match the APT32F172K8T6 pinout! Device marking: it does have an Atmel logo (that looks a bit weird), and "MEGA328P / U-TH / 35473D / 220642H" printed/etched on it. No 8 MHz crystal is mounted, and judging from the empty footprints there is a beginning of a serial-to-USB interface (for a CH340N) on the PCB. (I have seen pictures of this PCB version with the CH340N and USB connector mounted.)

Yes, be careful when ordering a new LCR-T4. If you are expecting to receive a component tester that has a genuine Atmel ATmega328P (which you could then reprogram... ) then a little chat with the seller is recommended. However, resellers may not be aware of this fake clone, or resellers may not be interested in customers demanding a product that has genuine components. My seller stated that the reason for this LCR-T4 having different components (with fake device marking on the MCU) is a "chip upgrade", and no comments on the microcontroller device markings.

So, if you have a chance to see the LCR-T4 before purchasing, it is advised to check the bottom side of the PCB to verify whether there is a crystal present. Also the top side of the "V4.1.3_2022/5/18" version PCB has a distinct pattern of traces running straight from ZIF socket to the 1, 2, & 3 test pads. Many customers have bought this product without knowing or complaining about the MCU. Some customers ask (themselves) what this USB connector is all about, but most customers just report that the device is working fine. I just wanted an LCR-T4 to experiment with and to reprogram it, but I now have to search for an original LCR-T4 clone.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 12:15:21 pm by Substance »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7873 on: September 05, 2022, 12:28:00 pm »
I just wanted an LCR-T4 to experiment with and to reprogram it, but I now have to search for an original LCR-T4 clone.
Over time, the old LCR-T4 clone will become more and more difficult to obtain, because the deficit and serious rise in price of genuine ATMEL chips will port the author's code to other platforms, which are provided by cheap Chinese CPU variants.
But since the firmware for these processors will not be available yet, consider that you are buying a disposable device. ;)

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7874 on: September 12, 2022, 08:40:26 pm »
Hi,

I have upgraded my AY-AT to 1.47m. But the encoder does not work. I don't see where is my mistake.

CONFIG.h

#define HW_ENCODER
#define ENCODER_PULSES   4
#define ENCODER_STEPS    20

CONFIG328.h
/*
 *  rotary encoder
 */

#define ENCODER_PORT     PORTD     /* port data register */
#define ENCODER_DDR      DDRD      /* port data direction register */
#define ENCODER_PIN      PIND      /* port input pins register */
#define ENCODER_A        PD3       /* rotary encoder A signal */