Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452749 times)

madires and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1000 on: May 15, 2015, 12:59:06 pm »
Hi to all from Athens!
After reading a lot for this tester I decide to get one!  :)
So I bought this tester,4 days ago,plug in a 9V battery and worked fine....Suddently after a dozen of measures refuses to power on (only the green LCD light goes on when I press  test button)...I left it,check battery,connections,bad solderings etc,but all seems OK.,then I put it away....Next day worked well for some time, but after  4-5 measurements stops again....
What is going on ???

When powering on, does the display show the battery status briefly?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1001 on: May 15, 2015, 01:00:01 pm »
Only a couple of things I can think of-

1. Beef up the supply decoupling after (and possibly before) the 5V regulator, add a 10uF if there isn't one already. Inductors and high value capacitors might put additional strain on the 5V rail regulation.

2. Check the pullup on the reset pin and associated track to the programming header footprint.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline firepower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1002 on: May 15, 2015, 02:03:24 pm »
what's your battery voltage with backlight on ?

Offline nassosxlvbros

• Contributor
« Reply #1003 on: May 15, 2015, 02:08:44 pm »
When powering on, does the display show the battery status briefly?

When I push the test button (and tester works) yes,it shows first the battery voltage at 9-9,1 Volts...when trying to light up (no working mode hehehe...)only the green backlight of the display lights up and the upper line shows the 16 black (er,greyish) squares.... |O

what's your battery voltage with backlight on ?

9 Volts are always there.... either with a battery or from regulated power supply.Working or not,voltage is rock steady at 9volts...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:20:50 pm by nassosxlvbros »

Offline opty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1004 on: May 15, 2015, 02:13:08 pm »
... Another reason to avoid the slick but more expensive units with soldered in MCU. Socket versions are getting hard to find now but ordered with a few spare Mega328 chips can be a life saver.

I totally agree.

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be version that is both with socket and ISP header..

Opty

Offline paulie

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1005 on: May 15, 2015, 02:23:24 pm »
Bahhh.. It only takes 10 seconds to solder a row of single header pins to bottom of the board. Fortunately, except for reset, they all ISP pins are nicely grouped together there. My biggest complaint is putting the contrast adjust where it's impossible to access with display installed. A simple hole under the trimmer or using rt angle version would have avoided that.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1006 on: May 15, 2015, 09:22:12 pm »
When I push the test button (and tester works) yes,it shows first the battery voltage at 9-9,1 Volts...when trying to light up (no working mode hehehe...)only the green backlight of the display lights up and the upper line shows the 16 black (er,greyish) squares.... |O

Looks like a bad solder joint.

Offline firepower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1007 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »
Black Squares on LCD is micro not working.  It not sending data  to LCD. Do you have 5V on regulator and micro ? You could check if crystal is oscillating, but they very reliable and most likely you have zapped your micro.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:40:32 pm by firepower »

Offline nassosxlvbros

• Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: May 15, 2015, 11:10:58 pm »
I check everything lot of times,5volts are there (pins 7,20 ) when I press the button,stops when I release...Some times is working Ok some times not. Board is checked for everything wrong under the microscope,all solderings,joints,etc are perfect,all parts are OK,double and triple checked...

when it refuses to power on shows this pic:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:40:50 pm by nassosxlvbros »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1009 on: May 16, 2015, 12:06:26 am »
I check everything lot of times,5volts are there (pins 7,20 ) when I press the button,stops when I release...Some times is working Ok some times not. Board is checked for everything wrong under the microscope,all solderings,joints,etc are perfect,all parts are OK,double and triple checked...

Were you always testing properly discharged capacitors? Make sure the button isn't bouncing perhaps capture it on the scope. Swap the battery.

Send it back if you can but if you can't, I'd resolder everything, then try soldering the test points directly to the component. In this case a resistor is probably the most simple test. Check the display connections as well. Then it's likely to be a faulty micro, design or software issue possibly caused by timing. But it's cheaper/faster to either get another one to rule out its inherent and then to perform a comparative test with duplicate components.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline nassosxlvbros

• Contributor
« Reply #1010 on: May 16, 2015, 12:17:33 am »
Battery is fresh always,my power supply noise free also.Caps are discharged every single time....The only thing that remains is the microcontroller...faulty chip or something else... :-// I already order another tester because is a much cheaper choice... |O
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:31:59 am by nassosxlvbros »

Offline MickM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1011 on: May 16, 2015, 04:21:25 am »
Hi;
  The very first thing that the software does on reset is set a pin to keep itself powered on.
If this does not happen then the CPU is not running.
Black bars on the LCD also mean the CPU is not talking to it.

So check for clock at the crystal pins ( I think it's around 1v distorted sine wave).
Look at the reset pin.
Look at power and ground pins, look for ripple.
If your CPU is socketed, unplug it, check the pins then plug it back in.
Look at the address and data lines - are they changing?

You may have a bad pcb, with a short.
Try freezing/heating it.
I had a cap meter that was under etched at the power socket.
Can you program a new chip ?
If smd chip can you change it?

I built a couple, then out of curiosity bought one.
They were all through-hole.

Mick M

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: May 16, 2015, 04:49:20 am »

when it refuses to power on shows this pic:

In my experience, you can have solder joints that look absolutely perfect, but make intermittent contact. I would take out the chip and look carefully to make sure that pins are not bent. Next, I would examine the socket because sometimes flux gets inside the holes. After that, insert the chip carefully, making sure that every pin is inside a hole in the socket. This can sometimes be more challenging that it sounds. If all else fails, I would reflow or resolder, beginning with the microcontroller's socket. HTH.

By the way, your phone's camera doesn't seem to be able to take sharp pictures at such close distances.

Offline nassosxlvbros

• Contributor
« Reply #1013 on: May 16, 2015, 09:06:50 am »
Thanks for the answers!
Sorry for bad the pics,but my mobile don;t like close pics...I'll try a trick on this.
Here some pics fron the pcb.
As you can see everything is clear.The 1nF cap between pins 20-21 is an extra option from me. R15 replaced,but nothing happens..

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:10:23 am by nassosxlvbros »

Offline nassosxlvbros

• Contributor
« Reply #1014 on: May 16, 2015, 09:13:04 am »
And after all night stay today is working....I don't know for how long of course....

Offline firepower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1015 on: May 16, 2015, 09:50:30 am »
I reseat the micro chip its too far to the right in the pic. make sure its centered in the socket. If you can replace socket with a machined type even better.

I think thats a poor quality socket and is causing your intermittent failures. every thing else is soldered so should be ok. Having good photos does help us to know what your dealing with.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:54:21 am by firepower »

Offline FabioLucca

« Reply #1016 on: May 16, 2015, 01:57:32 pm »
Hello, I rode the circuit in the simplest way, used a Funduino (AVR 328p 16MHz) removed the LED connected to pin PB5 and changed the capacitor connected to the AREF 1nF, so far so sure, but he is indicating random capacitances including without probes of 100uF  or more 800uF order, besides giving error at the end of "ADJUSTMENT".
Interpreting SELFTEST or ADJUSTMENT data to find the problem?

I used the version "ComponentTester-1.17m" created by Markus Frejek/Karl-Heinz Kübbeler found in https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/ course confurada agreement.
Resistors (680R and 470k) 1% tolerance
LM4040cim 2.5V 0,5% tolerance

OBS .: Text translated by google translator of Portuguese.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:25:55 pm by FabioLucca »

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1017 on: May 16, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »
Hello, I rode the circuit in the simplest way, used a Funduino (AVR 328p 16MHz) removed the LED connected to pin PB5 and changed the capacitor connected to the AREF 1nF, so far so sure, but he is indicating random capacitances including without probes of 100uF  or more 800uF order, besides giving error at the end of "ADJUSTMENT".
Interpreting SELFTEST or ADJUSTMENT data to find the problem?

Are you powering the tester with a SMPSU? Please try a battery or a linear regulated PSU.

I used the version "ComponentTester-1.17m" created by Markus Frejek/Karl-Heinz Kübbeler found in https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/ course confurada agreement.
Resistors (680R and 470k) 1% tolerance
LM4040cim 2.5V 0,5% tolerance

k-firmware: Karl-Heinz
m-firmware: madires (also a Markus) ;)

Offline FabioLucca

« Reply #1018 on: May 16, 2015, 04:04:38 pm »
Bingo! It worked, it worked perfectly!
Thanks madires!

Offline nassosxlvbros

• Contributor
« Reply #1019 on: May 17, 2015, 01:06:05 pm »
Yesterday tester makes the same....worked for a dozen times and then stops....As I don't have the necessaries to replace the chip and reproggram it, I must order another meter and waiting ........ :( :-//
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:31:40 am by nassosxlvbros »

Offline intrax

• Contributor
« Reply #1020 on: May 26, 2015, 09:44:04 pm »
thank you for a most enjoyable read. I just took mine apart to see what Atmega was onboard. The lying swine has sent me a 168 not a 328 as stated in this auction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181718729730?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Time to send him an rude email I think. Not happy at this at all.

To Markus and Karl, very impressed with what you have done, as the saying goes Vorsprun… .. :urch Technik indeed.
What seller is your most gracious animal comment referring to? I am curious. .

Offline zomi

« Reply #1021 on: May 29, 2015, 11:06:38 am »
Thanks tom.

Got it programmed and working ..

Just stuck on how to use makefile.
Wasn't able to sort the battery reading out.

And could someone update me, on the new firmware it has a batch mode enabled from the start.

Offline nassosxlvbros

• Contributor
« Reply #1022 on: June 06, 2015, 07:36:45 pm »
Update with good news!  :)
Today I receive a new meter kit from Banggood.For a $12.99 was a nice deal.The kit includes everything and a white box.So I asseble it and worked at once.After assembly, I check the "old" chip in the new pcb.It worked just fine.I measure a dozen of caps,about 50 resistors,some leds and 20 transistors.Every time meter powers up correctly.So I check again the old pcb.Measuring Vcc pins (1,7,20) and voila! a wrong smd cap at pin 1 was faulty!! The voltage on ths pin was 1,33V instead of 5 Volts.So I remove the bad cap and meter comes to life again!  :-+ 

Offline pol35

« Reply #1023 on: June 08, 2015, 09:33:42 pm »

hello
this tester can do ESR in circuit ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311343672563

Is a good esr?
Some recommended seller ? link?

thanks
a greeting

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1024 on: June 08, 2015, 09:56:48 pm »
hello
this tester can do ESR in circuit ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311343672563

Is a good esr?
Some recommended seller ? link?

Beware,  ESR in circuit can be troublesome.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/how-to-blow-a-esr-meter/msg679338/#msg679338

I would recommend in this case to buy a version with the Atmega328  in DIP form on a socket.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf