Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452225 times)

Obelix2007 and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bob808

• Frequent Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1075 on: July 11, 2015, 12:45:12 pm »
Just enable all the layers :)

Offline montarbo

• Contributor
« Reply #1076 on: July 11, 2015, 09:46:08 pm »
Just enable all the layers :)

Thanks again for the info, but there is a problem with this file, can you double check the GND, which layer should it be.
As of I save it as PDF the whole gnd is missing, same in Eagle. In your pic the traces go between the GND while in the attached file its missing.

Offline bob808

• Frequent Contributor
$20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1077 on: July 12, 2015, 09:09:23 am »
Press on the Ratsnest button before exporting.
Also when you are looking at the board as you open my file, you are basically seeing the board from the top layer. All the traces are on the backside of the board. So take that into account when you are printing the layout.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:12:00 am by bob808 »

Offline montarbo

• Contributor
« Reply #1078 on: July 12, 2015, 12:13:53 pm »
Thanks a ton for all the info, I've never used Eagle before, that's why i asked for the pdf file at first place. But now I'm trying to work with EagleĀ“, better late than never!!

You mean i should chose the mirrored version when exporting to pdf?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1079 on: July 12, 2015, 12:49:45 pm »
You mean i should chose the mirrored version when exporting to pdf?

You would need the mirrored output only for the top layer, in case it's a double sided PCB.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1080 on: July 12, 2015, 01:17:00 pm »
For you montarbo:

Offline montarbo

• Contributor
« Reply #1081 on: July 12, 2015, 02:10:52 pm »
Thanks ALL for help and great work.

BR

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1082 on: July 12, 2015, 11:02:19 pm »
Thingiverse has a nice "bento box" for the exact model I have (GM328A). Here's my build of it: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:147679

Offline vic2r

« Reply #1083 on: July 13, 2015, 03:27:15 pm »
For owners of this tester which is offered on ebay under the designation as "LCR-T3" or "LCR-T4 Transistor Tester" I offer a way to update firmware (v1.12k r453 EN). Devices have identical PCB, but slightly different G-LCD with matching operation thanks to compatibility with the driver ST7565. Update works on both versions of this tester. However, attention should be given to the fact that the ISP connector from the parts is mirrored. For this purpose I have pieced together a simple detachable :) adapter enabling the MCU to program without arranging the auxiliary ISP connector (see attached pictures). Many thanks to Roland Elmiger (hb9gaa) from the official discussion forum for providing the schematic diagram.

Do you still have the schematic for this design sir, 'cause all i see on the link to the diagram is 16x2 lcd only.  :-// I translated it to english and read it all again then look for the  Roland Elmiger (hb9gaa)name and there is none, now my head is banging on a brick wall  |O  If you still have it or someone has it, can someone please upload it on jpg file.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1084 on: July 14, 2015, 06:25:56 am »
Do you still have the schematic for this design sir, 'cause all i see on the link to the diagram is 16x2 lcd only.  :-// I translated it to english and read it all again then look for the  Roland Elmiger (hb9gaa)name and there is none, now my head is banging on a brick wall  |O  If you still have it or someone has it, can someone please upload it on jpg file.

Link to registered users:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/248078?page=14#3784106

Link to unregistered users:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/248078?page=6#3784106

Offline Overtuner

« Reply #1085 on: July 15, 2015, 08:08:16 am »
Later on I'll add support for ATmega644/1284, fancy pinout and additional display controllers.
sounds good. based on the schematics from Karl-Heinz and Nick L. (Docu chapter 2.7)?
I would suggest some more circuitry
- what about a DC boost converter to 40volts (some simple LT3467 stuff)
- integrated LiPo charger/booster
- and if so, recharging by USB - so what, put a cheap USB/UART- Bridge onboard for future use with external piece of Software...
- Display. think about those cheap (10$) ST7735R based 1.8inch TFT

I could also design a pcb - especially I'm thinking about a size, which will fit in a nice case. I hate those 'naked' stuff on my bench  8)
cheers
Lutz

Offline Overtuner

« Reply #1086 on: July 25, 2015, 01:56:34 pm »
ok, a quick'n dirty prototype is born.

- based on a chinese T4
- built into a Hammond case 1553D-BAT
- with rotary encoder
- with 2mm Banana Jacks
- Textool socket (desoldered from original) glued into top cover

and - there's a lot of space in those type of box.
I created a eagle .lbr with the PCB Layout from Hammond's datasheet. stay tuned ;-)

Lutz
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:59:25 pm by Overtuner »

Offline Overtuner

« Reply #1087 on: July 25, 2015, 08:03:09 pm »
Later on I'll add support for ATmega644/1284, fancy pinout and additional display controllers. If you like to support the development, I would appreciate samples of LCD modules with other controllers. V1.18m of both editions will be released within the next week or so.

do You need one of those cheep ILI9341 based new 2.2inch TFT - I've one over...

I'm sure, I will use them for my new layout, the fit almost perfectly in the case  ;D

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1088 on: July 26, 2015, 10:33:21 am »
do You need one of those cheep ILI9341 based new 2.2inch TFT - I've one over...

I'm sure, I will use them for my new layout, the fit almost perfectly in the case  ;D

I've sent you a PM.

Offline lordhex

« Reply #1089 on: July 27, 2015, 02:04:47 am »
Hello,

I've purchased a similar Transistor Tester from -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OOQC2E8psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 -- GM328 LCD Display Transistor Tester using the latest 2014 version V1.11 software, Atmega328 chip based on this project. Somehow I went into the "Contrast" menu then I've pressed the test button and it took
the "Contrast" all the way down  |O , now I cannot see anything on the display  |O |O |O.
Would anyone be able to tell me how to reset it back to default?
I've searched all the forums since this morning and could not find any answer
to my question. There are lots of Chinese knock offs and I'm not sure which one is which.

Many thanks in advance.
Catalin
YO3FCU

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1090 on: July 27, 2015, 08:09:22 am »
I had the same problem Catalin.  If you look on page 72 of this thread you will see the advice from Firepower and also my solution to locating the correct menu selection to bring the contrast back up again.  It seems strange that the module doesn't have a factory type rest as when initially 'fired up' it works!
John

Offline rstor22

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1091 on: July 27, 2015, 02:24:13 pm »
Would these AVR Transistor testers (such as the ones found on eBay) test leakage (Igss and Idss)  for JFETs ?

Offline lordhex

« Reply #1092 on: July 28, 2015, 01:45:33 am »
I had the same problem Catalin.  If you look on page 72 of this thread you will see the advice from Firepower and also my solution to locating the correct menu selection to bring the contrast back up again.  It seems strange that the module doesn't have a factory type rest as when initially 'fired up' it works!
John

Thank you so much John for replying to my problem.
For the life of me, I cannot get into that menu tried the "blind" method, also tried to see (with an oscilloscope) where the signals are sent to the LCD from the Atmega could not find much. I have to say I don't know anything about microcontrollers, I'm more of an audio/video/Linux/Mac kind of guy.

Much appreciated any help you can offer. I've attached a picture with the culprit.
Thank you,
Catalin

YO3FCU

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #1093 on: July 28, 2015, 07:59:12 am »
ok, a quick'n dirty prototype is born.

- based on a chinese T4
- built into a Hammond case 1553D-BAT
- with rotary encoder
- with 2mm Banana Jacks
- Textool socket (desoldered from original) glued into top cover

and - there's a lot of space in those type of box.
I created a eagle .lbr with the PCB Layout from Hammond's datasheet. stay tuned ;-)

Lutz

Do you want to share it? Please, would be very nice to hace it too.

Offline Overtuner

« Reply #1094 on: July 28, 2015, 08:48:31 am »
of course. all the stuff I create is open source  ;D

I had found a .lbr with other hammond boxes somewhere in the web (unfortunately I don't remember where)
and added the 1553D Variant.

at the moment I'm playing around with the circuitry for my "new" moel of ttester, but quite in early beta state and not finished yet.
m1284, 2.2inch TFT (maybe 2.4 inch with Touch), FT232RL, Lipo with charger(MCP73831), lipo to 5V boost, 3v3 for display, 5v to 40V boost, micro-USB, mini-sd-card, encoder, ...

cheers
Lutz

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #1095 on: July 28, 2015, 10:32:37 am »
of course. all the stuff I create is open source  ;D

I had found a .lbr with other hammond boxes somewhere in the web (unfortunately I don't remember where)
and added the 1553D Variant.

at the moment I'm playing around with the circuitry for my "new" moel of ttester, but quite in early beta state and not finished yet.
m1284, 2.2inch TFT (maybe 2.4 inch with Touch), FT232RL, Lipo with charger(MCP73831), lipo to 5V boost, 3v3 for display, 5v to 40V boost, micro-USB, mini-sd-card, encoder, ...

cheers
Lutz

Oh, that's going to be a nice improvement!

Are those ESR meters cheap to get one and use it for the case?

Are you basing your design on the Markus' Microcontroller.net one? What firmware are you using?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1096 on: July 28, 2015, 01:27:43 pm »

Sounds very interesting! It seems I have to think about how to add touch screen support to the firmware ;)

Offline Overtuner

« Reply #1097 on: July 28, 2015, 06:07:51 pm »
Sounds very interesting! It seems I have to think about how to add touch screen support to the firmware ;)
oh-yeah!  8)
hope, I'll get the 2.4" samples with touch (ILI9341 based) next few days and can ship them to you...

and: also the cheap chinese non-touch 2.2inch and 1.8inch tft's have 99% the same controller....

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1098 on: July 28, 2015, 08:25:58 pm »
Hi Catalin,

The method I used was as follows:

I eventually managed to step correctly to the Contrast  menu item and managed to recover the display.  Because I had problems getting the count right with the appropriate button duration press I cheated a little by using a scope to identify the frequency generator menu setting (pin 1 and 2 for scope) and then the 10 PWM  to get close enough to be sure of getting Contrast.  I had found pressing the button my duration's didn't always get me where I thought I was on the invisible menu!

My module is identical to your one in the picture you attached. The pins 1 and 2 were those on the ZIF socket where you insert components you wish to test. If you get your button pushing right you should see a 100Khz signal on a scope from the signal generator selection. (This gives one some confidence in one's button pressing accuracy!) The next short push should get you a Pulsed output visible on the scope.  Then it is 6 more short pushes to reach Contrast. Follow this with a long press then repeated short presses to hopefully bring the contrast back up.  It didn't work the first time I tried but button pushing with no visible responses isn't easy hence the scope to try and help.

Best of luck Contrast adjustment is now a no go area!

John

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1099 on: July 28, 2015, 10:23:14 pm »
For owners of this tester which is offered on ebay under the designation as "LCR-T3" or "LCR-T4 Transistor Tester" I offer a way to update firmware (v1.12k r453 EN). Devices have identical PCB, but slightly different G-LCD with matching operation thanks to compatibility with the driver ST7565. Update works on both versions of this tester. However, attention should be given to the fact that the ISP connector from the parts is mirrored. For this purpose I have pieced together a simple detachable :) adapter enabling the MCU to program without arranging the auxiliary ISP connector (see attached pictures). Many thanks to Roland Elmiger (hb9gaa) from the official discussion forum for providing the schematic diagram.

Hello Tom666 and every other member!

I am new on this forum and not too experienced, but I try. I own one of these referred to by Tom666 and am trying to flash it with an Arduino Uno via the Avrisp connection. I made myself a cable and everything seems to be communicating, but when I send the avrdude commands, I get a message the following messages:

C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin>avrdude -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM6 -b 19200 -e -U flash:w
:"TransistorTester.hex":a -U eeprom:w:"Transistor.eep":a -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hf
use:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m -v

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jan 19 2010 at 10:45:23
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM6
         Using Programmer              : avrisp
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
         AVR Part                      : ATMEGA328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page
      Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  Max
W   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ---
-- ---------
           eeprom        65     5     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  36
00 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  45
00 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  45
00 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  45
00 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  45
00 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  45
00 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0
 0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0
 0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel AVR ISP
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V