Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451450 times)

indman, Feliciano, carrascoso and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1125 on: August 09, 2015, 12:49:09 am »
Hello everyone,

Just got this tester in kit form from BangGood:

http://www.banggood.com/86-Plastic-Shell-DIY-Meter-Tester-Kit-For-Capacitance-ESR-Inductance-p-956240.html

Pretty good kit, but it doesn't have the latest release of the firmware. I saw on that there seems to be a realease 508 of Karl Heinz's v 1.12K here:

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/?pathrev=508

So my question is which version do I use, do I simply use the default directory for this 2 line display tester?

Thank you!

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1126 on: August 09, 2015, 03:49:13 am »
Sorry, but I have another question for this BangGood transistor tester.

How can I make a backup copy of the flash and eeprom ...I've tried with AVRDUDE with the following commands:

avrdude -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM5 -b 19200  -U flash:r:"TransistorTesterbk.hex":i
avrdude -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM5 -b 19200  -U flash:r:"TransistorTesterbk.hex":a
avrdude -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM5 -b 19200  -U flash:r:"TransistorTesterbk.hex"

But I either get a file with 71 bytes in it or 0..I can't dump the flash memory...haven't tried the EEprom yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1127 on: August 09, 2015, 10:52:58 am »
So my question is which version do I use, do I simply use the default directory for this 2 line display tester?

Use the folder "mega328".

How can I make a backup copy of the flash and eeprom ...

It's unnecessary, because is used the firmware by Karl-Heinz Kübbeler. I think, these testers are currently sold with older revision of a test version 1.12k. Some time ago it was used old v1.05k.

However, if you want, try the following command:
Code: [Select]
avrdude -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM5 -b 19200 -U flash:r:"TransistorTester.hex":a -U eeprom:r:"TransistorTester.eep":a

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1128 on: August 09, 2015, 11:22:24 am »
Thank you for the info Tom666.

I was just wanting to have a backup of the installed firmware before flashing it. Also I am trying to test ans ISP connector that I made for this transistor tester as there is none on the board.

I tried your command with the following and here is what it tells me...also creates a file of 0 bytes:

avrdude -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM5 -b 19200 -U flash:r:"TTesterbk.hex":a

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.05s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: reading flash memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 24.49s

avrdude: writing output file "TTesterbk.hex"
avrdude: error opening TTesterbk.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: output file TTesterbk.hex auto detected as invalid format
avrdude: invalid output file format: -1
avrdude: write to file 'TTesterbk.hex' failed

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (E:07, H:D9, L:FF)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Not sure why it won't read the flash and save it? It does say on the BangGood tester (for which the screen is on) Bat. 4.7V empty! Could that have anything to do with it, because it seems to read the chip Ok?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:37:18 am by rddube »

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1129 on: August 09, 2015, 04:29:43 pm »
You need to define the format (Intel Hex).

The corrected command is:
Code: [Select]
avrdude -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM5 -b 19200 -U flash:r:"TransistorTester.hex":i -U eeprom:r:"TransistorTester.eep":i

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1130 on: August 09, 2015, 07:20:16 pm »
Hi Tom666,

No still no success...I think that the reading of the flash is locked, could that be?

I finally decided to flash with version 1.12K (latest) and all went well. When I try and read the new flashed firmware, still the same problem, can't read it?

Many thanks

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1131 on: August 09, 2015, 11:20:26 pm »
@madires
Hi,
I tried the trendy 1.18m on a Chinese clone with ST7565 graphic LCD. The device was delivered with a 1.11k version.
I had to modify config.h not to flip X and Y on LCD and got it to work... quite:
- probing of resistances, capacitors and transistors work
- there is nothing graphic on the display, except basic for C and R, but not for transistors
- after probing, seem to be a loop which restarts the whole cycle every 5 seconds or so
- self test requires short circuit but nothing happens when shorted
I flashed the .hex made on a RaspberryPi 2 with avrdude by SPI bus.
Is it definitely due to different hardware?
Thx

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1132 on: August 10, 2015, 10:03:27 pm »
Well, the behaviour described in my previous post seems normal according to the documentation... 1.18m supports graphic displays but does not display graphics :-(

I then switched to the 1.12k version (GM_328 device). The self-test function doesn't work well: it does not recognize that the probes are shorted, and displays two resistors of 0.00 Ohms between pins 1, 2 and 3! By selecting selftest in the menu, it says "short probes!" as they are already shorted and waits half a minute (even if I press the start button) then starts testing. Values are significantly different than those of the 1.11k version (for example -67 -67 -67 instead of -4 -4 -4 for T2) ???

Switched back to 1.11k...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:07:12 pm by Gixy »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1133 on: August 11, 2015, 04:11:39 pm »
I tried the trendy 1.18m on a Chinese clone with ST7565 graphic LCD. The device was delivered with a 1.11k version.
I had to modify config.h not to flip X and Y on LCD and got it to work... quite:
- probing of resistances, capacitors and transistors work
- there is nothing graphic on the display, except basic for C and R, but not for transistors
- after probing, seem to be a loop which restarts the whole cycle every 5 seconds or so
- self test requires short circuit but nothing happens when shorted
I flashed the .hex made on a RaspberryPi 2 with avrdude by SPI bus.
Is it definitely due to different hardware?

Yep, Trendy 1.18m doesn't support the fancy pinout yet (I've written about this a few posts ago). It's the first release supporting graphic displays and the fancy pinout will be added the next release or two. The short circuit method might fail because of an un-self-adjusted tester. You can trigger the menu also by two short key presses (please read the README file!).

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1134 on: August 11, 2015, 06:44:23 pm »
Hello Madires,
I always read manuals, and behaviour is the same when accessing selftest by the menu... I just missed your limitation a few posts ago, sorry. At the moment I've switched to the "k" version.
Today I tried to recompile the 1.12k from the trunk repository, same problem.  Then I tried the 1.12k version given by tom666 on the mikrocontroller.net site, and this one works perfectly well! I'm wondering from which sources this version has been generated, as the zip file contained only hex and eep. Can you help Tomas?
Thanks in advance :-)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:29:31 pm by Gixy »

Offline amirtebyan

« Reply #1135 on: August 11, 2015, 06:48:19 pm »
Hi

I want to use ST7920 lcd in serial mode.
but this two pics from tester doc says different thing.
my uC is atmega328p-au

how should i connect this lcd to atmega328?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1136 on: August 11, 2015, 08:06:48 pm »
I want to use ST7920 lcd in serial mode.
but this two pics from tester doc says different thing.
my uC is atmega328p-au

how should i connect this lcd to atmega328?

The circuit diagram is the correct one. The RST pin is defined in config.h but not used currently AFAICS.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:08:30 pm by madires »

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1137 on: August 12, 2015, 07:49:35 am »
@Tom666
Hi Tomas,
Which sources/makefile do you use to generate your GM_328 1.12k version? I tried to use the rev508 of the Mikrocontroller.net repository with no success, whereas yours work perfectly (rev464, I'll try rev502 you posted recently). Thanks in advance.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1138 on: August 12, 2015, 12:53:19 pm »
Hi,
I used a folder ".../trunk/mega328_GM328/".

The attached file contains a compiled version of the firmware for GM328 tester (v1.12k r508) and myself edited "Makefile". The functionality of the firmware is no tested.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1139 on: August 12, 2015, 01:58:19 pm »
Strange, I tried to use the .hex in the /trunk directory and to recompile it with the makefile found in the same directory: in both cases bad functionning. I examined your makefile and saw that the main difference is that you comment the flag DWITH_UART: does only that explain the behaviour?
Anyway, I'll try both your .hex and your makefile and try to conclude.
Thanks Tomas
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:40:37 pm by Gixy »

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1140 on: August 12, 2015, 11:13:08 pm »
I tried the 1.12k_R508 version, with the .hex file compiled by Tom666 and one compiled by myself, with same results: bad functionning. The 1.12k_R464 .hex file provided by Tom666 is working perfectly.I didn't try the R502 version. My conclusion is that the source files of R508 have problems, at least for GM328. I'll try to alert Karl-Heinz.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1141 on: August 13, 2015, 11:28:02 am »
The answer from Karl-Heinz:

> An update with 1.12k version has been made possible only with the R464 revision

The newer Software additionally output a LCD-CE signal at pin PD5.
Unfortunally the GM328 has connected this signal to a grounded
ChipEnable (CE) input of the graphic controller. So the high signal of
the PD5 output is
shorted to GND. At the graphic board you should cut the useless
connection to pin 6 of the connector strip to prevent a shorted output.
Best regards,
Karl-Heinz

Good to know!

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1142 on: August 13, 2015, 06:42:47 pm »
Hi Karl,
I removed two pins on the LCD connector (3 and 6) and now the last
version of software works normally!
The pin 3 was also connected to ground, and as it is the cursor of the
contrast potentiometer (not working as it is a software function for
this display), when turned off completely it was generating also a short
circuit... Usual Chinese engineering.
Once more Vielen Dank :-)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:27:09 pm by Gixy »

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #1143 on: August 13, 2015, 08:50:04 pm »
...Usual Chineese engineering...
Oh please...

Offline johnka

« Reply #1145 on: August 16, 2015, 11:29:22 pm »
I found these boards on banggood and I'm thinking to buy one of these.
Which one should I prefer? 16x2 or 128x64 screen? Which one has the latest firmware and which one follows the original schematic with good quality components? Could I reflash the firmware by downloading the latest one from Karl-Heinz's repo? (I have a USBasp and an Arduino which could be used as ISP programmer.)
Also I'm thinking to make one myself. For start I could use a 16x2 LCD that I already have and a ATMEGA328. Do I need an external crystal oscillator? Some boards on ebay have one and some others don't. What fuses should I use on my microcontroller?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:31:13 pm by johnka »

Offline newDIY

« Reply #1146 on: August 17, 2015, 04:35:03 am »
Which one should I prefer? 16x2 or 128x64 screen? Which one has the latest firmware and which one follows the original schematic with good quality components? Could I reflash the firmware by downloading the latest one from Karl-Heinz's repo? (I have a USBasp and an Arduino which could be used as ISP programmer.)
Also I'm thinking to make one myself. For start I could use a 16x2 LCD that I already have and a ATMEGA328. Do I need an external crystal oscillator? Some boards on ebay have one and some others don't. What fuses should I use on my microcontroller?

I cannot answer your questions about the bangood board.  You would probably need to find someone who has that specific board to answer those detailed questions.

From what I have been reading, the external 8 MHZ crystal oscillator is needed. 

If you want to build a board, you can checkout the original Tester development site (in German) at: www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/248078  They have PCB board layouts and AVR code.  I would give you some links on that site, but google Chrome is not in the mood to translate German tonight.

There are also some PCB board designs in this EEVblog thread as well.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:18:52 pm by newDIY »

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1147 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:53 am »
Which one should I prefer? 16x2 or 128x64 screen? Which one has the latest firmware and which one follows the original schematic with good quality components? Could I reflash the firmware by downloading the latest one from Karl-Heinz's repo?

The quality of the components is the same. In principle, no matter which device you buy, because the only difference is in the used type of LCD and control. Both devices are identical to the basic schematic diagram and can therefore use the official software from Mr. Karl-Heinz.

8MHz external crystal to a certain extent it contributes to a more accurate test results, but you omit it. MCU will clocked with internal 8 MHz RC oscillator - the difference is not critical. It is important to choose the most accurate values of resistors 680 and 470K (tolerance of 0.1%).

In the attached files you will find materials for tester in minimized form. Does not include auxiliary power circuit, external crystal and a source of reference voltage 2.5V. Features of this tester are preserved and are identical with the standard version. It is advisable to use firmware with blocked function "Auto Power Off" (DPO = Disable Power Off).

Setting fuses for ATmega328 and ATmega328p (int. RC 8MHz):
lfuse:0xe2 hfuse:0xd9 efuse:0x04 (0xfc)

Note:
The materials can be downloaded as well from this discussion forum (svetelektro.com):
http://svetelektro.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&f=18&t=30285&p=548740#p548740

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1148 on: August 17, 2015, 03:13:54 pm »
Hello all, I received this tester yesterday and so far I'm happy with it for $22 prime Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OOQC2E8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00#Ask

It came preloaded with 1.12 and all the features work, the signal generator, PWM, and frequency counter was a bonus that I didn't expect. It's running the 328 chip and has the 8 MHz crystal also with a nice display. But it's missing the SPI for updating it, the good he's is I can remove the chip.

I have a friend coming to visit in October who ordered a different one from eBay, I need to look at the internals but I think it might be able to do more then it does now if I update it.
Then I realized I've never got into the programming part of these chips, I'm planning on using AVRDude and figured it's time to buy a programer now with this running the 328, my LED flashlights I build using the amtel tiny, and my 3D printers using the 1280/2560 chips. It would only be needed for the printers if I brick one to recover the boot loader. I'm also testing soldering station that are using the 328 chip and found some bug, they fixed it but now I have to wait on the slow boat from China for the new chip. If I had a programer they could have just emailed me the code to compile and I would have been back to testing again.

So my question is what would be a recommended programer that can do these style of chips? I'm trying to keep the price down on a budget and currently don't have a need to program PIC chips, just the different variety of amtel chips.
I see a lot of different kinds on Amazon, I try to stay off of eBay, just a preference. The only one I confirmed to do all these chips so far is about $70, but even if I get two $10 programmers because I know the 1280/2560 chips might need a programer just for that class I would rather do that for $20 and maybe a interface board for easy plug and program, then unplug.

Any suggestions are welcomed, thank you.

Oh, and after reading a few pages of this it looks like theirs is a 1.18 now so I guess I don't have the latest. Anything worth updating for fro the 1.12 to the 1.18?
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1149 on: August 17, 2015, 04:25:56 pm »
So my question is what would be a recommended programer that can do these style of chips? I'm trying to keep the price down on a budget and currently don't have a need to program PIC chips, just the different variety of amtel chips.
I see a lot of different kinds on Amazon, I try to stay off of eBay, just a preference. The only one I confirmed to do all these chips so far is about $70, but even if I get two $10 programmers because I know the 1280/2560 chips might need a programer just for that class I would rather do that for $20 and maybe a interface board for easy plug and program, then unplug.

The Diamex ALL-AVR (about 30 Euros) supports SPI, PDI and TWI. For SPI you could also use an Arduino or a BusPirate. All three work fine with avrdude.

Oh, and after reading a few pages of this it looks like theirs is a 1.18 now so I guess I don't have the latest. Anything worth updating for fro the 1.12 to the 1.18?

There are two firmwares (besides some Chinese mods). The commonly used one is the k-firmware by Karl-Heinz (1.12k) and there's also the m-firmware (1.18m) comming in two flavours (classic for character displays, trendy for character and graphic displays). You can get both firmwares at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/ and the README file in the m-firmware's archive explains the differences between both.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf