Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452294 times)

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1375 on: October 13, 2015, 05:14:02 pm »
I bought this a few months back and works well (didn't come with the li ion cell) and just stumbled upon this thread. Still back reading now at P24.

Works pretty well. I chose this over the large LCD types as I can replace the LCD if necessary.
Usb charging with onboard 14500 li ion cell
Uses the 328 uC 1.11k FW and a TL431 voltage reference with an option for trimming but not used.

There appears to be a 6p inline ISP header but I currently don't have an AVR programmer so I'm sticking with the old FW for now.

edit: menu is enabled in mine so the additional functions can be used
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:49:15 am by djQUAN »

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #1376 on: October 13, 2015, 07:47:08 pm »
@Circuiteromalaguito, Kalvin, et al:

This, of course, is just my opinion, but...

Every now and then someone comes who wants to add lots of bells and whistles to the existing schematic. The charm of the original tester was in the simplicity of its hardware. Take that away, and you are left with something other than the transistor tester that we are all discussing in this thread. Sure, you can do everything that you suggest, but what reason is there not to do it as a separate project? Then you can use, say, ARM and a voltage converter, and do many other interesting things... but I believe you're trying to horseshoe this particular project into something that it's not.

I am great admirer of the minimalist design. No need to make things too complicated. And if the 1284-based version is available, then my suggestion is obsolete of course.

Offline ralphd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Nerd Ralph
« Reply #1377 on: October 14, 2015, 01:58:14 am »
You could use my asm SPI code.
http://nerdralph.blogspot.ca/2015/03/fastest-avr-software-spi-in-west.html

I'll have a look. Thanks for the hint!
If your firmware has serial output on PC3, my soft uart is the smallest around, and the only one with no jitter (difference between the timing of 1 vs 0 bits)
https://github.com/nerdralph/nerdralph/tree/master/avr/libs/bbuart
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth. Einstein

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1378 on: October 14, 2015, 06:56:40 am »
You could use my asm SPI code.
http://nerdralph.blogspot.ca/2015/03/fastest-avr-software-spi-in-west.html

I'll have a look. Thanks for the hint!
If your firmware has serial output on PC3, my soft uart is the smallest around, and the only one with no jitter (difference between the timing of 1 vs 0 bits)
https://github.com/nerdralph/nerdralph/tree/master/avr/libs/bbuart
You've developed some pretty cool stuff. That soft UART is something I could use on a tiny85  :-+ Bookmarked

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #1379 on: October 14, 2015, 09:39:26 am »
After reading stuff around here, a good reference is said to be beneficial so I checked my unit.

It was using a TL431 which measured 4.9xx volts on the Vref pin. Swapped it out for a LM336-2.5 and added a trimmer on the unpopulated space so I could set it to exactly 2.500V.

Redid a self cal test and I'm not sure which measurements it helped. But it still worked. Oh well  :phew:

Offline GnatGoSplat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1380 on: October 14, 2015, 03:16:15 pm »
Macbeth, indman, and tom666, thanks very much for the help, it makes sense now and I got it going.

Hi GnatGoSplat,
the recommended setting of the fuses for ATmega8 (Int. RC 8MHz) by software author (KHK) is:
lfuse:0x24 hfuse:0xd9

I used the firmware you attached and also set the fuses exactly as shown.  It now seems to work perfectly with one slight issue is the display of the result goes away very quickly before it shuts off.  Is there a way to increase this delay?
Shawn

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1381 on: October 14, 2015, 03:51:17 pm »
In case it's of use to anyone, here are some photos of how I replaced the test switch with a rotary encoder on my tester.

My unit is one of the popular 2 x 16 character display designs with through-hole components and a socketed 328p processor. The board is marked EZM Electronics Studio, M328_9V_V3.1, 2013.09.25

I removed the original test switch, drilled holes and cut lands out of the ground plane. The resistors are size 0603. I also rotated the LED and moved the + terminal so it would be further from the encoder and visible when I added a 20mm knob.

The orange capacitors on the processor pins aren't part of the encoder circuit. They are the recommended 1nF capacitor on AREF, plus additional 100nF capacitors on Vcc and AVcc.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1382 on: October 14, 2015, 04:16:48 pm »
I used the firmware you attached and also set the fuses exactly as shown.  It now seems to work perfectly with one slight issue is the display of the result goes away very quickly before it shuts off.  Is there a way to increase this delay?

Delays can be adjusted by modifying the file "config.h".

It is this part of the code (the time is specified in milliseconds):
// LONG_WAIT_TIME is the time for displaying the successfull test result
#ifndef LONG_WAIT_TIME
#define LONG_WAIT_TIME 28000
#endif

// MIDDLE_WAIT_TIME is used for display the next parameter for Show data menu function
#define MIDDLE_WAIT_TIME 15000

// SHORT_WAIT_TIME is the time for displaying a unknown component message
#ifndef SHORT_WAIT_TIME
#define SHORT_WAIT_TIME 8000
#endif

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #1383 on: October 14, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »
MLXXXp: Thanks for showing your mod!  I have the graphical version of that tester and it would be nice to upgrade it.

I mostly built my bangood kit (with case and rotary encoder) over the weekend. I prepared by doing a 4-wire measurement of the provided 0.1% 470K and 680 Ohm resistors. All were within spec, but I still paired them up so each was as close to the ideal ratio as possible. The value of this exercise is questionable, but I did it for fun.

I've paused to consider what I'm going to do about the test socket and leads. My current plan is to modify the case to shoehorn in three 2mm banana jacks rather than 2 4mm. Then I'm going to mount the DIP ZIF socket on a piece of protoboard and bolt/solder three 2mm banana plugs to the other side along one edge. It will be similar to the MK168/MK328. If I like the result, I'll probably have a small PCB made with some SMD test pads.

Parts are on order from China. At least some of them will be here within a week or so. I'll share details of my success (or failure!) once they arrive.

The other alternative I'm considering is to use some IC sockets as a riser to mount the ZIF socket onboard as giovannirat did and cut the case for it. Then, I'd make up an adapter that will allow 3 test leads.

Question: What, if any, downsides are there to replacing the 8MHz crystal with a 16MHz (and reflashing the MCU appropriately)? I figured the extra clock speed could help with UI responsiveness/refresh. Battery life might suffer, but I'd be ok with that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:11:54 pm by eas »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1384 on: October 14, 2015, 05:16:49 pm »
Question: What, if any, downsides are there to replacing the 8MHz crystal with a 16MHz (and reflashing the MCU appropriately)? I figured the extra clock speed could help with UI responsiveness/refresh. Battery life might suffer, but I'd be ok with that.

A 16MHz crystal increases the accuracy and measurement range of some measurements, and also increases the top frequency of the squarewave generator. The only downside is that you have to build a new firmware with the MCU frequency set to 16MHz ;)

Offline 9a4wy

• Contributor
« Reply #1385 on: October 15, 2015, 12:37:59 pm »
I have this one from ebay....
It has  1.07 FW
Could I flash it with new FW and what version please??
tnx...Kristian

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1386 on: October 15, 2015, 12:46:06 pm »
It has  1.07 FW

Yes, 1.12k or 1.19m classic edition. Please see http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/ and go to "trunk" for the current k-firmware or "Markus" for the m-firmware.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1387 on: October 15, 2015, 01:31:06 pm »
It has  1.07 FW

Specifically, in the case of using the k-version you can use directly the contents (files "TransistorTester.hex" and "TransistorTester.eep") of these folders:
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328/?view=tar
or
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328_2X16_menu/?view=tar

Setting of fuses for ATmega328:
lfuse:0xf7 hfuse:0xd9 efuse:0x04 (0xfc)

Offline klaus11

• Supporter
« Reply #1388 on: October 18, 2015, 09:20:48 am »
I need a reliable fish8840 scheme, you can help me
HP3458A, HP3245a, Keithley 2000, Fluke 87V, Rigol DP832, TEK TDS5052B, HP33120A

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1389 on: October 18, 2015, 09:44:25 am »
I've paused to consider what I'm going to do about the test socket and leads. My current plan is to modify the case to shoehorn in three 2mm banana jacks rather than 2 4mm. Then I'm going to mount the DIP ZIF socket on a piece of protoboard and bolt/solder three 2mm banana plugs to the other side along one edge. It will be similar to the MK168/MK328. If I like the result, I'll probably have a small PCB made with some SMD test pads.

If you are successful please post pictures when you are done. Anything has to be better than the crappy socket supplied with the case. I installed my first tester into the case last week and had all kinds of problems with the supplied 5 hole socket. I was was trying to join the socket to the 2 mini banana terminals to the PCB (like the pictures on banggood for the case) and one of the socket's gold colored leads snapped right off. After some effort I was able to MacGuyver it back together and as soon as I got that one fixed one of the leads on the other side snapped off. I managed to get that one fixed and the whole thing assembled, but I went ahead and ordered one of the replacement sockets listed a couple of pages back because I really don't expect my fixes to hold for too long. While waiting for that to arrive I decided its not worth trying to even install. Due to a screw up on my initial order I got a second tester and case and had been planning to just not even use the case but I saw some pictures of a user that modified a different version of the tester/case to use the ZIF socket and think it would be worth trying. If I am ever successful in doing something similar I will probably disassemble the first one and just use it without the case. I was thinking it might be nice to have just the PCB mounted to my desk near all my parts for quick checking.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:46:01 am by CustomEngineerer »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1390 on: October 18, 2015, 10:27:28 am »
I need a reliable fish8840 scheme, you can help me
Fish8840 has many options of execution. You can see diagrams for several clones on my resource according to the link https://yadi.sk/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1391 on: October 18, 2015, 11:39:37 am »
I need a reliable fish8840 scheme ...

This tester (by Fish8840) is consistent with standard electric connection. It is used with the G-LCD display (ST7565 controller). The difference is in the power supply circuit. See picture from the official manual - there you'll find a lot of useful information about this tester.

Connecting (SPI mode) the G-LCD display with the MCU is as follows:
PD0 - LCD-REST
PD1 - LCD-RS
PD2 - LCD-SCLK
PD3 - LCD-SID

Note:
The advantage of this tester is a simple way of adaptation for 16x2 character LCD.

Edit:
I edited and exported the wiring diagram (by indman) to its original state.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:31:44 pm by tom666 »

Offline klaus11

• Supporter
« Reply #1392 on: October 18, 2015, 06:38:02 pm »
I need a reliable fish8840 scheme ...

This tester (by Fish8840) is consistent with standard electric connection. It is used with the G-LCD display (ST7565 controller). The difference is in the power supply circuit. See picture from the official manual - there you'll find a lot of useful information about this tester.

Connecting (SPI mode) the G-LCD display with the MCU is as follows:
PD0 - LCD-REST
PD1 - LCD-RS
PD2 - LCD-SCLK
PD3 - LCD-SID

Note:
The advantage of this tester is a simple way of adaptation for 16x2 character LCD.

Edit:
I edited and exported the wiring diagram (by indman) to its original state.

If I know him, but without modifying the original circuit   C20 + not to Q1
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:53:33 pm by klaus11 »

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1393 on: October 18, 2015, 06:53:10 pm »
If I know him, but  C20 + not to Q1

Everything is OK.

Offline klaus11

• Supporter
« Reply #1394 on: October 18, 2015, 06:57:08 pm »
I do not want to be indiscreet, but I only see Q1 to C18 and U5

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1395 on: October 18, 2015, 07:17:27 pm »
On the PCB are two positions for C20 (the same is for C18) and it is therefore possible to use either a THT electrolytic capacitor or the tantalum capacitor.
In this case, on the position C20 and C18 is mounted tantalum capacitor.

Edit:
In the wiring diagram is reversed C20 and C18. In the Annex is a corrected circuit diagram :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:37:23 pm by tom666 »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1396 on: October 19, 2015, 06:40:52 am »
tom666, thanks for corrections on the diagram C20 and C18! :D I upgrade the clone of Fish8840 with the big blue display - changed and added some elements in the diagram for correct operation of new firmwares from the author. Changes are selected in the red color on the diagram. The diagram in high quality can be downloaded at the link https://yadi.sk/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 06:45:44 am by indman »

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #1397 on: October 19, 2015, 06:53:28 am »

If you are successful please post pictures when you are done. Anything has to be better than the crappy socket supplied with the case.
I plan to. If shipping on the 2mm sockets is as fast as it was on my last order from the same seller, I should have the parts by next weekend.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1398 on: October 19, 2015, 07:24:35 am »

If you are successful please post pictures when you are done. Anything has to be better than the crappy socket supplied with the case.
I plan to. If shipping on the 2mm sockets is as fast as it was on my last order from the same seller, I should have the parts by next weekend.

I've got some 2mm sockets laying around, really wish I would have thought to do the 3x2mm like you are saying. I will probably do that on the second case/tester I've got. Thanks for the great ideas.

Offline klaus11

• Supporter
« Reply #1399 on: October 19, 2015, 10:27:23 am »
In this new scheme Fish8840. Already the reference TL431 is not used?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf