Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451848 times)

carrascoso, bffargo and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1400 on: October 19, 2015, 11:11:20 am »
The voltage reference 2.5V is not used in the original version. It can be additionally fitted (parts U3 and R19) :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:15:11 am by tom666 »

Offline klaus11

• Supporter
« Reply #1401 on: October 19, 2015, 11:13:21 am »
Thank  :-+
HP3458A, HP3245a, Keithley 2000, Fluke 87V, Rigol DP832, TEK TDS5052B, HP33120A

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1402 on: October 19, 2015, 11:13:51 am »
In this new scheme Fish8840. Already the reference TL431 is not used?
No, it is the old diagram. After numerous experiments I came to a conclusion that application of TL431 doesn't lead to noticeable improving of parameters of a tester. It is more important to deliver the high-quality power supply voltage of the processor (Vcc=5.000V).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:26:25 am by indman »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1403 on: October 19, 2015, 11:24:47 am »
I changed a firmware for Fish8840BlueDisplay a little - added a homepage with the version and revision of audit. It decelerates start a little, but is more evident and it is convenient!
Attention! This firmware only for a board, in which divider of a supply of R15/R8 = 10k/3.3k!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1404 on: October 19, 2015, 12:43:31 pm »
In this new scheme Fish8840. Already the reference TL431 is not used?
No, it is the old diagram. After numerous experiments I came to a conclusion that application of TL431 doesn't lead to noticeable improving of parameters of a tester. It is more important to deliver the high-quality power supply conditioner of the processor (Vcc=5.000V).

Yup, a MCP1702 is a much better investment than a TL431. A dedicated voltage reference makes sense when you're using something like a 78L05 or if the voltage reference is more than 10 times as accurate as the voltage regulator (MCP1702 is 0.4%).

Offline klaus11

• Supporter
« Reply #1405 on: October 19, 2015, 03:20:47 pm »
Right now I'm trying to program Elnec ISP  smartprog2 and gives me VCC failure
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:23:19 pm by klaus11 »
HP3458A, HP3245a, Keithley 2000, Fluke 87V, Rigol DP832, TEK TDS5052B, HP33120A

Offline gojimmypi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1406 on: October 19, 2015, 06:40:37 pm »
This looks awesome! I'm a newbie to this thread, wondering if someone could point me to the most recent hardware to buy. I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M328-Transistor-Tester-Capacitor-ESR-Inductance-Resistor-LCR-Meter-NPN-PNP-MOS/281538451480

Is it the right one?

I tried to register at aliexpress but depending on the page, either it shows only google play and app store buttons, or when I actually can fill in a registration form, it does not like any of the fields; they all give validation errors.

thanks

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1408 on: October 19, 2015, 07:25:52 pm »
I recommend this kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M328-LCD-12864-Transistor-Tester-DIY-Kit-Diode-Triode-Capacitance-LCR-ESR-Meter-/381351024208
or
http://www.banggood.com/DIY-M12864-Graphics-Version-Transistor-Tester-Kit-LCR-ESR-PWM-p-986954.html

or set with the cabinet:
http://www.banggood.com/DIY-M12864-Graphics-Version-Transistor-Tester-Kit-LCR-ESR-PWM-With-Case-p-997023.html

Seconded. Recently got this one and so far seems to be great. Its already go the encoder instead of push button switches, the 0.1% resistors where it matters and a voltage reference (instead of zener diode), although the general consensus seems to be it would be better to use a ldo voltage regulator like a MCP1702 instead of the 7805 that this kit comes with. If using the MCP1702-5002 you don't need the voltage reference. Of course if you have a MCP1702 you can go ahead and use that if you want, or order one online. They are only $0.52 on mouser.com.

Edit: Also it has the nice display and seems to support all the newer features that have been added to the firmware recently.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:29:05 pm by CustomEngineerer »

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1410 on: October 20, 2015, 04:18:59 am »
Got one of those with the case more out of curiosity than anything else since I keep hearing about it. It's actually smaller than it looks in the pictures, especially the display. The socket leads needed to be carefully bent and the two pairs at the ends of it connected together. Used heat-shrink tubing to insulate them just in case they decided to touch each other when I wasn't looking  :D. I simply used some spare resistor leads to connect it to the main board, but the angle at which they connect is not pretty. The two banana plugs became frequency counter inputs. When soldering in 10K resistors, I measured them and made sure that the combination at the frequency input provided roughly 2.4V, as it says in the manual. Another reason to measure is that I wanted to make the divider for battery voltage testing to be as close to 10K/3.3K as possible.

The firmware that this thing came with was horrible: It would crash randomly at the end of measurement and the tester would sit there sucking about 60mA from the battery until it was disconnected, but no such symptoms were seen after reflashing.

I wonder what I can do about the voltage reference though. It is not nearly as precise as I would like. Would measuring it and changing the expected voltage in software be equivalent to trimming or does it absolutely have to be precise?

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1411 on: October 20, 2015, 04:21:11 am »
awesome, thanks!  Can you tell me where / if the source code is available? I tried searching on github & didn't find it.

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1412 on: October 20, 2015, 06:54:03 am »
awesome, thanks!  Can you tell me where / if the source code is available? I tried searching on github & didn't find it.

In this thread you'll find plenty of information (I put them there as "tom_pin" :)):
http://forum.banggood.com/forum-topic-92191.html
and
http://forum.banggood.com/forum-topic-92191.html?page=2

Videos (not mine):

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1413 on: October 20, 2015, 07:35:08 am »
I wonder what I can do about the voltage reference though. It is not nearly as precise as I would like. Would measuring it and changing the expected voltage in software be equivalent to trimming or does it absolutely have to be precise?

The 2.5V reference is used only to check and calibrate the VCC voltage, but is not required. The merits of using the 2.5V ref. source (for example LM4040 AIZ2.5 [0.1%], TL431, LT1004 CZ-2.5 [0.8%], LM385-2.5, LM336Z-2.5 [0.8%]) only makes sense if it is 10 times more accurate than LDO 5V regulator, as otherwise this may lead to inferior results of the measurement. If is the 78L05 replaced with low-drop LDO MCP1702T (with typical deviation of 0.4%) is the 2.5V reference unnecessary! Another benefit of using low-drop voltage regulator (for example MCP1702-5002, LP2950CZ-5.0, LE50CZ) is to reduce power consumption and lower voltage drop with the ability to work with a little lower input voltage than standard 78L05 stabilizer.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1414 on: October 20, 2015, 08:18:07 am »
... a voltage reference (instead of zener diode) ...

The zener diode is used only in one type of tester (D1 on the attached picture), which is also sold in the variant without 8MHz crystal. Other types of testers (those that use the 2.5V reference source) use typically the TL431 in designs SMD or THT.

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1415 on: October 20, 2015, 03:31:21 pm »

The 2.5V reference is used only to check and calibrate the VCC voltage, but is not required. The merits of using the 2.5V ref. source (for example LM4040 AIZ2.5 [0.1%], TL431, LT1004 CZ-2.5 [0.8%], LM385-2.5, LM336Z-2.5 [0.8%]) only makes sense if it is 10 times more accurate than LDO 5V regulator, as otherwise this may lead to inferior results of the measurement. If is the 78L05 replaced with low-drop LDO MCP1702T (with typical deviation of 0.4%) is the 2.5V reference unnecessary! Another benefit of using low-drop voltage regulator (for example MCP1702-5002, LP2950CZ-5.0, LE50CZ) is to reduce power consumption and lower voltage drop with the ability to work with a little lower input voltage than standard 78L05 stabilizer.

True, but doesn't answer my question, I'm afraid. Even an MCP1702T can be off by enough that calibration against a known reference would be beneficial, even if it's just a lowly TL431 that we're checking against. TL431 is adjustable, so it can be trimmed to be significantly more precise than any voltage regulator (easily by an order of magnitude). But I'm asking whether the same result can be achieved by a simple change in the software. Something tells me that it should be the case.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:33:42 pm by hapless »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1416 on: October 20, 2015, 03:47:07 pm »
True, but doesn't answer my question, I'm afraid. Even an MCP1702T can be off by enough that calibration against a known reference would be beneficial, even if it's just a lowly TL431 that we're checking against. TL431 is adjustable, so it can be trimmed to be significantly more precise than any voltage regulator (easily by an order of magnitude). But I'm asking whether the same result can be achieved by a simple change in the software. Something tells me that it should be the case.

For the m-firmware you can set the voltage of the 2.5V reference via UREF_25 in config.h and for the k-firmware you have to change a value in Calibrate_UR.c, IIRC.

Offline torchTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1417 on: October 20, 2015, 04:14:45 pm »
I've planned to add the fancy pinout in this release too but had/have to deal with a bereavement, a broken heart and a flu. Why do bad things happen all at once? So I ask you all if I should release v1.19m soon without the fancy pinout or if you are patient to wait another month or so?

I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Unfortunately, sometimes bad things happen to good people, please accept my condolences.

As for waiting: take all the time you want. I for one am having trouble following all the improvements and changes as they seem to come so fast. I could use the pause to catch up!!!  ;)

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1418 on: October 20, 2015, 04:45:05 pm »
For the m-firmware you can set the voltage of the 2.5V reference via UREF_25 in config.h and for the k-firmware you have to change a value in Calibrate_UR.c, IIRC.

Thank you. What's funny is that I was actually looking at it and then got thrown off by the comment talking about "typical" and "datasheet". Could you elaborate on why you both have 2495mV as a default value there? I know that some (older?) vrefs are set to that instead of 2500mV, but we are all talking about precision references @2.5V here, and yet the software expects 2.495V by default?

Offline gojimmypi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1419 on: October 20, 2015, 05:36:47 pm »

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/

awesome! thanks for the software link. I ordered my hardware last night... expected delivery a few weeks from China.

in the meantime while reviewing the source code, is it supposed to be open source for community contributions or not? Every file has this text:

(c) 2012-2015 by Markus Reschke (madires@theca-tabellaria [dot] de)

that certainly does not sound very "open".

See:  http://opensource.org/licenses

it would be a shame to have something so cool be protected by copyrights.

I would willing to contribute if indeed it is open source.....

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1420 on: October 20, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »
in the meantime while reviewing the source code, is it supposed to be open source for community contributions or not? Every file has this text:
(c) 2012-2015 by Markus Reschke (madires@theca-tabellaria [dot] de)

I think that if you use it only for personal use, it's all okay :)

For this kit I recommend using software by Karl-Heinz Kübbeler (I have successfully tested):
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/?view=tar

You can directly use the contents from this folder:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328_st7565_kit/?view=tar
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:58:19 pm by tom666 »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1421 on: October 20, 2015, 05:57:05 pm »
Thank you. What's funny is that I was actually looking at it and then got thrown off by the comment talking about "typical" and "datasheet". Could you elaborate on why you both have 2495mV as a default value there? I know that some (older?) vrefs are set to that instead of 2500mV, but we are all talking about precision references @2.5V here, and yet the software expects 2.495V by default?

That value is based on the typical voltage of some voltage reference we're using. You could check out the datasheet of the reference you got or measure the voltage with a accurate DMM (5.5 digits or better).

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1422 on: October 20, 2015, 06:08:24 pm »

Excuse for volume presentation, I hope that the theory will be clear!
In the program by default  reference voltage for ADC 5v (external voltage on AVCC).
In case of detection on  input analog-to-digitial converter(ADC) less 1v the reference switches to internal reference supply source 1.1v.
Affect on internal reference 1.1v we can't (only if to select the processor with its minimum low value).
External reference 5v on AVCC (accuracy) depends on us!
  The source of sample voltage as reference supply source for ADC in this program doesn't work at PC4, and serves for correction of value of the reference voltage 5v the result of operation of ADC accepted in case of calculation. In firmwares of both authors correction is carried out on a formula:
  V5_calc=v5_avcc*v25Uref_pasport/V_izm_ADC PC4, where:
- V5_calc - calculated value of reference voltage 5v the result of operation of ADC  accepted in case of calculation.
- V5_avcc - value of voltage 5v on AVCC (the constant changed by the user)
- V25Uref_pasport - passport value of voltage of the REF (the constant changed by the user at Markus Reschke, at Karl-Heinz Kübbeler - in a code)
- V_izm_ADC PC4 - (real) voltage measured by ADC on PC4
  where the constants  V25Uref_pasport and V5_avcc are (in mV)?

At Markus Reschke in the config.h file:
#define UREF_VCC 5001
#define UREF_25 2495

At Karl-Heinz Kübbeler in the config.h files
#define U_VCC 5000
and  Calibrate_UR.c (value 2495)
ADCconfig.U_AVCC = (unsigned long) (ADCconfig.U_AVCC (unsigned long) * 2495) / mv2500;

Now, taking into account constants the formula assumes an air: V5_calc=5000*2495/V_izm_ADC PC4.
From a formula it is visible that 2495/V_izm_ADC PC4 coefficient of correction of an error of operation of ADC and in case of =2495 it is equal  1.0, according to V5_calc=5000*1=5000!
  If it is very simple, that, then when the REF on 2495mV and real voltage will be connected to PC4 on AVCC will be 5000mV!

PRACTICAL RECOMMENDATIONS!
- to select AVCC and REF for parameters the close to AVCC=5000mV and URef=2495mv or in case of assembly of a firmware to enter the real
values of voltage of AVCC and URef.
- in case of less exact AVCC to use more exact REF, otherwise it is no need also an ear REF, otherwise it is no need and will worsen result!
Good results with MCP1702-5002 with specification of V5_avcc without REF.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:17:04 am by indman »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1423 on: October 20, 2015, 06:18:32 pm »

Haven't you read the README explaining the license issue? The whole project is OSHW but without a proper license so far. Also a copyright doesn't contradict an open source license. The problem will be fixed in about 2.5 months ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:33:06 pm by madires »

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1424 on: October 20, 2015, 07:04:09 pm »
@indman
Although I already had my answer by the time you posted, I appreciate your effort. For the benefit of other readers, I'd recommend changing "tension" to "voltage" everywhere in your post.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf