Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451985 times)

jellytot, NikolaSoft and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1425 on: October 20, 2015, 07:47:12 pm »
in the meantime while reviewing the source code, is it supposed to be open source for community contributions or not? Every file has this text:

(c) 2012-2015 by Markus Reschke (madires@theca-tabellaria [dot] de)

that certainly does not sound very "open".

See:  http://opensource.org/licenses

it would be a shame to have something so cool be protected by copyrights.

I would willing to contribute if indeed it is open source.....

Most open source licenses absolutely depend on copyright. Did you actually read any of the popular licenses mentioned on the page you linked to? For most/all of them, the rights granted under the license are granted by the copyright holder, whose identity is also stated in the license.

When I looked at the licensing for this project a while back, I found that it was kind of a morass. The original project, now dormant, project has a vague statement about being free for non-commercial use. The currently maintained forks have added significant new functionality, but it wasn't clear to me if they are technically derived from the original sources. In practice, Chinese sellers are making their own derivatives and selling them.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that the original author could try asserting his copyright at some point, but he only owns the copyright on the code he's written, or that has been transferred to him by the authors (and I don't think any has), so, in practice, about all he could do is make things difficult for the currently maintained forks. He could do so for any reason, but there don't seem to be many good reasons. He wouldn't be entitled to the code they authored, though he could try to strong-arm them into transferring copyright. It wouldn't be cheap and easy though, and there wouldn't be much payoff without spending even more to go after the Chinese sellers. That would be even more costly though, and the upside is, again, limited.

The people maintaining the current forks could pull their own hijinks, but they'd be opening up an even bigger can of worms, and again, with uncertain but limited payoff.

So, I think the best strategy for someone who likes the project and has the skills to contribute, is to do so, and retain copyright on your contributions. In doing so, you'll improve the project for yourself and others, and you'll add to the legal tangle that will make it difficult and expensive for anyone who wants to try and close or seize control of the project.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #1426 on: October 20, 2015, 07:56:55 pm »

Haven't you read the README explaining the license issue? The whole project is OHSW but without a proper license so far. Also a copyright doesn't contradict an open source license. The problem will be fixed in about 2.5 months ;)
Excellent!

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1427 on: October 20, 2015, 08:06:50 pm »
@indman
Although I already had my answer by the time you posted, I appreciate your effort. For the benefit of other readers, I'd recommend changing "tension" to "voltage" everywhere in your post.
Thanks, I corrected! :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:10:43 pm by indman »

Offline gojimmypi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: October 20, 2015, 09:51:08 pm »

Haven't you read the README explaining the license issue? The whole project is OHSW but without a proper license so far. Also a copyright doesn't contradict an open source license. The problem will be fixed in about 2.5 months ;)

Indeed, I read every word of the readme, as found in the root of the transistortester-trunk.tar.gz file, as shown below (nothing with regards to copyright):

This directory contains the program source for all TransistorTester versions.
To build the programming files for your ATmega microcontroller
please change to one of the following subdirectories:
mega8, default, mega328, mega168_strip_grid, mega328_strip_grid, mega328_dogm and mega328_strip_grid_dogm

The mega8 subdirectory contains the Makefile to build the programming data for a ATmega8 microcontroller.
The default subdirectory contains the Makefile to build the programming data for a ATmega168 controller.
The mega328 subdirectory contains the Makefile to build the programming data for a ATmega328 controller.
The subdirectories with the _strip_grid ending contains the Makefiles for the different connection
of the LCD used for the strip grid board and can not be used with the normal connection of the LCD.
You can find the programming data and the matching Makefile for the DOGM style LCD in the subdirectories
with dogm ending (mega328_dogm and mega328_strip_grid_dogm).

All subdirectories hold the Makefile the compiled data TransistorTester.hex and TransistorTester.eep!
The .hex data must be loaded to the flash memory and the .eep data must be loaded to the EEprom memory.
With the Linux operating system or with WinAVR the data can be loaded with the program avrdude to the
memory of the ATmega, controled with the Makefile. The connected ISP programmer must be supported by the program avrdude.
The data can also be loaded with any other program to the ATmega without control of the Makefile.

You can also create a own subdirectory and copy any of the Makefiles of the other directories to this
own subdirectory. Now you can set other options in this Makefile copy in your directory and try to build
your own TransistorTester programming data in this directory.

Please tell me, if you have problems with my software or if you have found errors.
You can send me a Email to kh_kuebbeler [at] web [dot] de or answer to my www.mikrocontroller.net thread.

Good luck
Karl-Heinz Kübbeler

However, I think I did find the README you are referring to... in that was uploaded in a ZIP that was attached to message post here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/%2420-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg723065/#msg723065

That says:
* License

The original author hasn't provided any information about the licence
under which the firmware is distributed. He only stated that it's open
source and any commercial user should contact him. Unfortunately we (
Karl-Heinz and I) haven't found any way to contact him. To remedy
this problem I will choose an open source license at 2016-01-01, if the
original author doesn't contact us to state his wishes until that date.
Since the source code of this firmware version is a major rewrite with
tons of new code and features, I think that this approach is justified.

* What's different?

Karl-Heinz has done a really great documentation of the tester. I recommend
to read it. Therefore I'll tell you just about the major differences to the
official release:

- user interface
  No worries! 
- adaptive component discharge function
- resistance measurement
  + dedicated method for resistances <10 Ohms (instead of using ESR check)
- capacitance measurement
  + starts at 5pF
  + additional method for caps from 4.7µF up to 47µF
  + correction/compensation method
- diodes
  + detection logic
- BJTs
  + V_f is interpolated for a more suitable (virtual) I_b based on hFE
- TRIACs
  + detection of MT1 and MT2
- structured source code
- some more I couldn't think of right now

There are more details in the sections below.
...(snip rest of readme)...

But as I found this in a zip file on this forum, not sure how that would apply to the source found here:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/Markus/

sorry I still don't see any license/copyrights in the tar.gz file.... all the readme's seem to be only compile instructions. Here's a list of all the readme's in there:

ComponentTester\trunk\ReadMe.txt
ComponentTester\trunk\mega328_T3_T4_st7565\ReadMe.txt
ComponentTester\trunk\ST7735\ReadMe.txt
ComponentTester\trunk\mega328_fish8840_OC\ReadMe.txt
ComponentTester\trunk\default\ReadMe.txt
ComponentTester\trunk\mega328_fish8840\ReadMe.txt
ComponentTester\trunk\mega168_strip_grid\ReadMe.txt
ComponentTester\trunk\mega328_wei_st7565\ReadMe.txt
ComponentTester\trunk\ILI9163\ReadMe.txt
ComponentTester\trunk\mega328_GM328\ReadMe.txt

Note a single instance of "license" or "copyright" mentioned. Certainly nothing saying "This program is free software; you can redistribute it".... but also nothing saying that it you can't... again, not even a copyright note.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, just trying to understand as a newbie to this topic before I get involved.  :)

All things considered... posting all that code on the public internet without even a "copyright" would seem to imply public domain.  ???

edit: changed email addresses to de-spider the [at] and [dot] for kh_kuebbeler
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:11:43 pm by gojimmypi »

Offline ralphd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Nerd Ralph
« Reply #1429 on: October 20, 2015, 10:55:39 pm »
For the m-firmware you can set the voltage of the 2.5V reference via UREF_25 in config.h and for the k-firmware you have to change a value in Calibrate_UR.c, IIRC.

Thank you. What's funny is that I was actually looking at it and then got thrown off by the comment talking about "typical" and "datasheet". Could you elaborate on why you both have 2495mV as a default value there? I know that some (older?) vrefs are set to that instead of 2500mV, but we are all talking about precision references @2.5V here, and yet the software expects 2.495V by default?
The original TI 431 and many clones are 2.495V.
I like the cheap Wing Shing 0.3% parts.
http://nerdralph.blogspot.ca/2015/08/cheap-tl431-voltage-references.html
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth. Einstein

Offline gojimmypi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: October 21, 2015, 12:50:09 am »
as I wait for my PC board to ship from China, I was poking around the dangerous prototypes forum for what appears to be the same Transistor Checker, and found this:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3260&start=375#p41127

or more specifically, this link to the PDF manual (from 2012) that I thought might be of interest to share here:

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/143988/TTester_096k.pdf

How similar is the current code base to that manual?

I'm looking forward to receiving my hardware! :)

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1431 on: October 21, 2015, 06:34:52 am »

Software from version 0.96k to the current development version 1.12k achieve significant progress. Many new features were added.
I will mention, for example:
- f-Generator
- frequency measurement
- ability to control with rotary encoder
- 10-bit PWM generator
- measurement capacitors in the circuit
- separate measurement of capacitance and resistance
- DC voltage measurement
- etc.

Some features require add a hardware accessory.
Many important, useful and especially fresh information you will find here: ;)
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/?view=tar
It is a file "tester.pdf" contained in the archive from the link.

Offline klaus11

• Supporter
« Reply #1432 on: October 21, 2015, 09:03:43 am »
This new TransistorTester ESR PWM, uses Atmega328 or 328P?
HP3458A, HP3245a, Keithley 2000, Fluke 87V, Rigol DP832, TEK TDS5052B, HP33120A

Offline bianchifan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1433 on: October 21, 2015, 09:44:06 am »
Can you tell me where / if the source code is available? I tried searching on github & didn't find it.
https://github.com/svn2github/transistortester

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1435 on: October 21, 2015, 10:21:58 am »
This new TransistorTester ESR PWM, uses Atmega328 or 328P?

This kit comes with the ATmega328P. But in most other testers is also used the ATmega328P.
You can use any. Just M328P consumes lower power than M328.

Offline gojimmypi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: October 21, 2015, 12:14:28 pm »
Can you tell me where / if the source code is available? I tried searching on github & didn't find it.
https://github.com/svn2github/transistortester
That's very cool. Thank you.  :)

Offline gojimmypi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: October 21, 2015, 12:19:45 pm »

Software from version 0.96k to the current development version 1.12k achieve significant progress. Many new features were added.
I will mention, for example:
- f-Generator
- frequency measurement
- ability to control with rotary encoder
- 10-bit PWM generator
- measurement capacitors in the circuit
- separate measurement of capacitance and resistance
- DC voltage measurement
- etc.

Some features require add a hardware accessory.
Many important, useful and especially fresh information you will find here: ;)
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/?view=tar
It is a file "tester.pdf" contained in the archive from the link.
wow, cool. Thanks for info.

I am really looking forward to my board delivery now! If only China had Amazon prime 2day delivery...  ;)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1438 on: October 21, 2015, 01:14:02 pm »
However, I think I did find the README you are referring to... in that was uploaded in a ZIP that was attached to message post here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/%2420-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg723065/#msg723065

That says:
* License

The original author hasn't provided any information about the licence
under which the firmware is distributed. He only stated that it's open
source and any commercial user should contact him. Unfortunately we (
Karl-Heinz and I) haven't found any way to contact him. To remedy
this problem I will choose an open source license at 2016-01-01, if the
original author doesn't contact us to state his wishes until that date.
Since the source code of this firmware version is a major rewrite with
tons of new code and features, I think that this approach is justified.

But as I found this in a zip file on this forum, not sure how that would apply to the source found here:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/Markus/

Yep, that's the README of the m-firmware. It should be in each release package. AFAIK the k-firmware doesn't got any detailed information about copyright or a license. But it's not PD. It's OSHW without a standard license as explained in the m-firmware's README. The m-firmware is a different story because it is a complete rewrite. In January I'll choose a standard license for the m-firmware (presumably EUPL) for a proper legal framework. I can't speak for Karl-Heinz, but he seems to be not interested very much in such topics.

We both got no problems with Chinese clones as long as the manufacturers provide a link to the project's web page to the seller, especially for the documentation. And they should also provide their modified code and schematics. Most owners of the Transistor Tester got a Chinese clone and ask here or in the mikrocontroller.net forum for support. Karl-Heinz tries to track the major clones but there are simply too much meanwhile. The problem with the Chinese manufacturers is that they don't provide any support and a few people in the forums, like tom666 for example (don't be angry with me if I missed someone), do a great job to mitigate that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:32:05 pm by madires »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: October 21, 2015, 10:00:43 pm »

:-\ (grumble,grumble its not OHSW, it's OSHW... It's a typo... let it go...  :=\

...information about copyright or a license. But it's not PD. It's OHSW without a standard license as explained in the m-firmware's README.

Ok.. that did it  |O You triggered my pedantic petulant perturbed inner grammar and spelling nazi.  :rant:

It is NOT fecking OHSW (Those feckin' Occupation Health Safety & Welfare do-gooders, shiny arsed jobsworths all of them. Elfin safety my arse!)
It is OSHW (Open Source Hardware)

;) :-/O

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1440 on: October 22, 2015, 12:01:39 am »
Ok.. that did it  |O You triggered my pedantic petulant perturbed inner grammar and spelling nazi.  :rant:

It is NOT fecking OHSW
It is OSHW (Open Source Hardware)

Thank you! My pedantic petulant perturbed inner grammar and spelling nazi level was nearing preposterous levels.

Then again, perhaps madires' firmware actually is OHSW (Open Hearted SoftWare). :-DD

Edit: I had to correct my own typos. D'oh!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:03:16 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline 9a4wy

• Contributor
« Reply #1441 on: October 22, 2015, 11:10:27 am »
I have this one from ebay....
It has  1.07 FW
Could I flash it with new FW and what version please??
tnx...Kristian
AVR ISP MKII can't conect to MCU...is it possible that SPI is locked in this chinese clone??
I have to find someone with AVR DRAGON or similar to try "parallel programming"...what do you think guys?
K

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1442 on: October 22, 2015, 12:29:05 pm »
I have this one from ebay....
It has  1.07 FW
Could I flash it with new FW and what version please??
tnx...Kristian
AVR ISP MKII can't conect to MCU...is it possible that SPI is locked in this chinese clone??
I have to find someone with AVR DRAGON or similar to try "parallel programming"...what do you think guys?
K

Haven't seen any clones with SPI disabled so far, only with the memory lock bits set.

Offline GnatGoSplat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1443 on: October 22, 2015, 07:09:20 pm »
I would like to upgrade to the graphical version, but I also would like a case and 3 probes instead of ZIF.  There are a few with just 2 probes, but I really prefer 3.
So far, I've only found this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141709205814?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
It's a bit more expensive, but I'm willing to spend a little more for case and probes.  However, no rotary encoder on that one.  I've never used a graphical version, what do I gain with the rotary encoder?
Shawn

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1444 on: October 23, 2015, 07:35:42 am »
GnatGoSplat,MK-328 it is qualitative a collected clone with protection of measuring ports. But the encoder isn't set. It can be connected to this diagram according to the instruction from the author and to program a new firmware. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:38:37 am by indman »

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1445 on: October 23, 2015, 10:28:00 am »
...  I've never used a graphical version, what do I gain with the rotary encoder?

The main advantage is a quicker way to control (especially motion) in the menu.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1446 on: October 23, 2015, 12:31:45 pm »
...  I've never used a graphical version, what do I gain with the rotary encoder?

The main advantage is a quicker way to control (especially motion) in the menu.

... and the optional squarewave generator in the m-firmware requires one for changing the frequency. Doing that with a single push button would be a nightmare.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:45:24 pm by madires »

Offline GnatGoSplat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1447 on: October 23, 2015, 01:40:54 pm »
Thanks, I do very much like the idea of a squarewave generator.  :-+
I'd better get one with rotary encoder.
Shawn

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1448 on: October 24, 2015, 02:24:47 am »
Which one of these should I get? I have salvaged component bins filled with like 10,000 various unknown components, I need to sort through all of these. I can easily budget a few hundred dollars for something that can help get me organized. There are so many different variants of this project that I have no idea which one to get. How do you make sure you get one with the latest firmware, and which ones don't auto turn off after a few seconds, and can be powered by a AC adapter?

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1449 on: October 24, 2015, 03:39:24 am »
Which one of these should I get? I have salvaged component bins filled with like 10,000 various unknown components, I need to sort through all of these. I can easily budget a few hundred dollars for something that can help get me organized. There are so many different variants of this project that I have no idea which one to get. How do you make sure you get one with the latest firmware, and which ones don't auto turn off after a few seconds, and can be powered by a AC adapter?

Pretty sure none of them come with the latest firmware. Especially with how quickly the the newer firmwares have been coming out. But thats one of the things that is so great about these, you can grab which firmware you want and build and install on your device. Which also means you can change things like auto turn off and many other features to however you want them (options can be set in the Makefile/fuses).

http://www.banggood.com/DIY-M12864-Graphics-Version-Transistor-Tester-Kit-LCR-ESR-PWM-p-986954.html

This seems to be one of the newer ones and contains most of the recommended hardware, but since it comes as parts if you want to switch any parts out you can. I have 2 of these I have really been enjoying them. They also seem to be one of the more frequently discussed in this thread as of late. If you don't want to have to build your own firmware, the K version of the firmware already has prebuilt binaries that will work with the kit without any modifications.

Edit1: If you look in the mikrocontroller.net repo Software/trunk/mega328_st7565_kit/ directory, the TransistorTester.eep and TransistorTester.hex files are the prebuilt files ready to be installed on the mega328p that comes with the kit listed. These will work as is without any modification, of course if you want to change any options the Makefile is already there, all you have to do is rebuild it and install it on the tester.

Edit2: Pointed to correct firmware directory for kit in edit1
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:40:49 pm by CustomEngineerer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf