Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451766 times)

bffargo, jellytot and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1475 on: November 09, 2015, 11:28:32 am »
Is torch, the originator of this thread, still around?

It seems this well-developed (i.e., long :o) thread would benefit from the addition of a summary section in the very first post to collect all the requisite and related info (or links thereto) in one place and then updated as new versions of hardware/software come out.

Would be nice to have all the information in one place and something to show what software goes with what hardware.
I still have this non-working unit that I think only needs reprogramming.

I am not very good when it comes to programming and need a noob tutorial. 

When power is applied and button is pressed you only get a bar across the screen.
I have tried to go through this thread to collect information but get pulled in other directions lol.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1476 on: November 09, 2015, 01:02:45 pm »
When power is applied and button is pressed you only get a bar across the screen.

That's the case when the display isn't initialized. There are several posts in this thread about flashing the ATmega. An Arduino works as programmer too ;)

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1477 on: November 09, 2015, 02:59:39 pm »

Does the microcontroller (or anything else) get warm while the screen is on?

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #1478 on: November 09, 2015, 03:22:01 pm »

That's the case when the display isn't initialized. There are several posts in this thread about flashing the ATmega. An Arduino works as programmer too ;)

I will search back through the threads and see what I can find. If I can ever learn this I will post a YT video showing how.

Does the microcontroller (or anything else) get warm while the screen is on?

From the beginning.  I picked the unit up to test a transistor one day. I noticed it did nothing. Screen did not come on and I did not feel any heat in the controller.  The day before I had checked some HV caps. Was thinking that perhaps one was not discharged. I ordered a second unit.

Many months later I took the bad unit out and tried to read the controller. Then I tried writing the programs to it. But not knowing what I was doing may have corrupted the controller. Again I am a total noob at trying to do this. But after my failure I noticed that when I press the button I get a bar across the screen now. So it does show some sort of life. Perhaps it is toast. I am not sure.

I continued to play with it and this came up :
"BAT 4.8V empty"
I tried to program again and only get the “bar” now. I put it aside till I could learn more about it.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #1479 on: November 09, 2015, 05:41:01 pm »
Assuming you are using a fresh battery, it sounds like either there is a problem with the voltage divider used to read the battery voltage, or the new firmware you installed isn't configured with the right divider ratio for calculating battery voltage (see BAT_NUMERATOR in the makefile).

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1480 on: November 10, 2015, 09:53:19 am »
From the beginning.  I picked the unit up to test a transistor one day. I noticed it did nothing. Screen did not come on and I did not feel any heat in the controller.  The day before I had checked some HV caps. Was thinking that perhaps one was not discharged. I ordered a second unit.

According to the above information, I guess that is damaged MCU (it must be replaced). For flashing just use any ISP programmer (for example the USBasp).

On this type of tester is appropriate to make the following changes:
- the addition of the blocking capacitor between AVCC and GND (resolve the problem with error message "Cell")
- replacement the zener diode D1 with the source of the precision voltage 2.5V
This adjustment is described in the official manual. In the attached pdf file is the extracted relevant section of the manual.

Procedure for flashing a firmware into MCU (ATmega328P) with the USBasp programmer:

Required hardware:
- USBasp (price around US $1.87)

Required Software (download links below):
- USBasp Driver
- AVRDUDE
- Firmware

1. Unzip the downloaded files into a separate directory and then perform the installation USBasp driver.
2. Then connect (through the ISP cable) the USBasp programmer with the ISP connector on the tester.
3. Navigate to the folder with the unpacked software and perform this following command from command line:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p --B 4.0 -e -U flash:w:"TransistorTester.hex":i -U eeprom:w:"TransistorTester.eep":i -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m
This command (also includes a section for writing fuses) can be copied and saved as e.g. "flash.bat" and stored in a prepared folder. In the future you can simplify this flashing of the firmware by the usage of "flash.bat".

Links:
USBasp - Driver:
http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/usbasp-windriver.2011-05-28.zip
or
http://www.protostack.com/download/USBasp-win-driver-x86-x64-v3.0.7.zip

AVRDUDE:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/avrdude/avrdude-6.1-mingw32.zip

Firmware:
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328_2X16_menu/?view=tar

USBasp - How to install driver on Windows 8:
http://letsmakerobots.com/node/36841

USBasp - How to install driver on Windows 8.1:
http://openchrysalis.wordpress.com/2014/09/26/installing-usbasp-driver-software-in-windows-8-1/

USBasp - User Guide:
http://www.protostack.com/download/Users%20Guide%20(AC-PG-USBASP-UG-V2.0).pdf

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #1481 on: November 10, 2015, 12:17:57 pm »

According to the above information, I guess that is damaged MCU (it must be replaced). For flashing just use any ISP programmer (for example the USBasp).

Now that was an excellent post!

I too think the MCU could be bad. Perhaps it is just corrupt.
I have that same programmer here on my desk already.

Below is a pic on what this one does when you press the button.
Also my programmer.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1482 on: November 10, 2015, 05:27:45 pm »
I Have a tester just like that with a similar problem. I had to replace the Microcontroller.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #1483 on: November 10, 2015, 05:46:06 pm »
I Have a tester just like that with a similar problem. I had to replace the Microcontroller.

Think I will order a few of those controllers and give it a go also.

I just bought one of the new tester kit from banggood. Really like the way it works. I just uploaded a video on it.

I uploaded my video and put a thread here not to tie this one up:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/diy-m12864-graphics-version-transistor-tester-kit-lcr-esr-pwm/new/#new
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:05:17 pm by Radio Tech »

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #1484 on: November 10, 2015, 08:03:32 pm »
Graham
Thanks for the reply on this. Great to know someone is close that knows a bit about these. I am headed out the door atm but reply back on this. Seems I can really use your help and perhaps you can teach this old dog a new trick. From previous test I think you are correct on it being a ATMega168. Would be nice to have it upgraded.
Really appreciate the information. Will get back with you.
Thanks   :-+

Offline 9a4wy

• Contributor
« Reply #1485 on: November 11, 2015, 12:55:57 pm »

Could someone compile hex+eep files from 1.19m for me??
I have no tool for this now  :(
tnx

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1486 on: November 11, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »

Could someone compile hex+eep files from 1.19m for me??
I have no tool for this now  :(

Please see http://www.avrtester.tode.cz/index.php?p=firmware (scroll down a little bit) for the classic edition.

Offline 9a4wy

• Contributor
« Reply #1487 on: November 11, 2015, 08:00:20 pm »
uhhh...
tnx very much....I feel dumb now :(

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #1488 on: November 11, 2015, 08:16:13 pm »
uhhh...
tnx very much....I feel dumb now :(

Dont feel dumb. This stuff can be difficult.
I cant even get the driver installed that tom666 posted  :-DD

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #1489 on: November 12, 2015, 02:08:55 am »
Spent the last 2 hours on the laptop I am trying to set this up on for programming.
Giving up on it. will try on a windows 7 machine this week end. Instructions for drivers says you have to disable driver signature enforcement for win 8.1.  When I get to that page pc freezes up and cannot do anything.  Other than that pc runs fine.

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #1490 on: November 12, 2015, 05:32:08 am »
This is one great thread.

I am reading through everything (from page 1) and deciding if I order one ($23 on DX, but will end up costing $55 due to taxes) or build my own. I haven't read everything yet, but has anyone here had success with a homemade tester?
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1491 on: November 12, 2015, 08:19:45 am »
I haven't read everything yet, but has anyone here had success with a homemade tester?

Some time ago I made the following variants of this tester (see attached pictures). The simpler (SCT v1.7) does not contain auxiliary power circuit. Switching on and off is complemented through a separate switch.

Many references can be found on this discussion forum (these are links after text "Podklady k vyrobe (DIY):"):
http://svetelektro.com/Forum/avr-component-tester-rlc-esr-semiconductors-tester-t30285.html

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1492 on: November 12, 2015, 11:38:54 am »
I am reading through everything (from page 1) and deciding if I order one ($23 on DX, but will end up costing $55 due to taxes) or build my own. I haven't read everything yet, but has anyone here had success with a homemade tester?

Yup, please see http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Hardware/Markus/ for some inspiration ;)

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #1493 on: November 12, 2015, 06:54:18 pm »
I just finished one of these kits. I noticed a few problems with it.

First the n (Nano) character is corrupted. See pictures. I'm guessing that the character data in the ATmega is corrupted.

After performing a few tests I also noticed that the ATMega is pulling the 2.5v voltage reference to ground. (Pin 27) It will briefly rise to the normal 2.5v level when taking a measurement. Also, if you boot it up directly into the menu the reference will stay at 2.5v until you've completed a measurement. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I usually work with Microchip PIC's and don't have a programmer for the ATmega. I've ordered a cheap USBasp programmer from Ebay. I'm going to see if a reflash fixes any of the problems.

Offline papabol_24

• Contributor
« Reply #1494 on: November 13, 2015, 09:12:45 am »
@tom666

hello tom, can u pls compile me a flipped fw of fish8840? thank you very much

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1495 on: November 13, 2015, 09:20:41 am »
I just finished one of these kits. I noticed a few problems with it.

First the n (Nano) character is corrupted. See pictures. I'm guessing that the character data in the ATmega is corrupted.

This cosmetic mistake I also registered.
The problem was solved by flashing a new firmware. On "banggood" I published instructions for updating firmware for this tester.
You can find it as 17 post at this link:
http://forum.banggood.com/forum-topic-92191.html?page=2

After performing a few tests I also noticed that the ATMega is pulling the 2.5v voltage reference to ground. (Pin 27) It will briefly rise to the normal 2.5v level when taking a measurement. Also, if you boot it up directly into the menu the reference will stay at 2.5v until you've completed a measurement. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

It's all right.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1496 on: November 13, 2015, 09:35:33 am »
can u pls compile me a flipped fw of fish8840?
This is an original LCD or exchanged?
From which folder (SVN repositories) did you use the firmware?

Offline papabol_24

• Contributor
« Reply #1497 on: November 13, 2015, 09:38:37 am »
Hello tom, this is a new unit from the seller that sent me the broken lcd  :) ive used the fw that u gave me on page 84, its the Fish8840_v1.12k_r554.zip

thank you :)

Offline papabol_24

• Contributor
« Reply #1498 on: November 13, 2015, 12:53:21 pm »
Hello Tom, the text is still flipped  :)

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1499 on: November 13, 2015, 01:28:33 pm »
So try this

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf