Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451893 times)

carrascoso and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gojimmypi

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1525 on: November 23, 2015, 12:41:44 am »
update: ok, so the bus pirate apparently cannot program the '328 via OpenOCD/JTAG. I had forgotten that when I first played with my bus pirate and adapted this wiki:

https://github.com/gojimmypi/PiOCD/wiki/Using-a-Raspberry-Pi-with-a-Bus-Pirate-as-a-JTAG-Dongle-to-Linksys-BEFSR41-Router-V2

specifically this note:

http://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/3822/does-atmega-328-2560-chips-support-jtag-type-programmer-and-hardware-debugger

I was however, able to get my AVR Pocket Programmer to actually program the TTester in place (see attached for my wiring diagram) from the Arduino IDE, however there's apparently no ability to actually step though code on the Raspberry Pi version if the IDE. Even if there was, I have no idea of where to start on getting the Arduino IDE to compile the transistor tester source. I'm able to successfully compile the Transistor checker using:

Code: [Select]
make -f Makefile

... but have yet to make the leap on getting that compiled code sent to the '328.... let alone actually single-step debugging.

Any further hints would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #1526 on: November 23, 2015, 06:29:39 am »
Any further hints would be greatly appreciated :)

Coming up:

You may wish to look here:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/248078?page=8

Its a terribly long thread over 8 pages to date. But it contains a lot of valuable information
(some in English; brushing up your German could help though :)
And if in doubt, Karl-Heinz Kübbeler there is your (extremely helpful) man.
He does a lot of software development for the Transistor Tester
(which really is a multi-component tester).

Yours - Messtechniker
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline Datman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1527 on: November 23, 2015, 10:46:02 am »
I haven't much time for it... :-(
I have my work and other projects in progress for fun...
My transistor tester has a graphic display and a SMD 328P, then I can't easily take apart the original uC for making experiments with one of the DIP uC I have! If i make something wrong I do it on the original uC! I could desolder the uC, of course, but I haven't another one and I can't put it on the Arduino board without an adapter.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1528 on: November 23, 2015, 12:42:03 pm »
update: ok, so the bus pirate apparently cannot program the '328 via OpenOCD/JTAG.

The bus pirate works great with avrdude. A little bit slow, but reliable. The ATmegas are programmed using ISP (http://www.atmel.com/images/doc0943.pdf).

BTW, I'm working on an IR RC test & decode feature right now (TSOP receiver module connected to the three test pins).

Offline johnka

« Reply #1529 on: November 26, 2015, 12:35:03 am »
I'm thinking to build a transistor tester since I have most of the components but instead of a 16x2 lcd I'd prefer a graphic display 128x64.
Could I use one of these? link1 link2 link3
I think the second is used on chinese boards with yellow pcb. Do the other two use the same interface to connect?
Also could I use a rotary encoder if I use one of these displays?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:47:32 am by johnka »

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #1530 on: November 26, 2015, 01:44:55 am »
I recently got a cheap case for my tester. Nice case. The PCB fit without problems. I did notice that the contacts in the test socket were very tight. Impossible to plug in a small lead. It just bent. I had to loosen the contacts slightly. This test socket may be the weak point of this case. I have a box full of mystery components to test. Time to see if the socket holds up.

Also, if you plan on using this case don't install the zif socket. You'll need to remove it. I'd already installed it before I found this case. The zif leads are a little large for the PCB holes. It was a real pain to remove it. I had to use my SMD hot air gun to heat up the joints while pulling on the socket with pliers. A vacuum desoldering tool & solder wick wouldn't get it loose.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1531 on: November 26, 2015, 02:09:47 am »
Nice but you didn't link where the case is from and what transistor tester version you have (some extra photos of the inside will help).
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #1532 on: November 26, 2015, 07:08:40 am »

The case was purchased from  banggood.com SKU273392. Also available from others. Ebay etc. See reply #1494 (page 100) for pics of the tester board and a bug that this version has. I'm still waiting for my AVR programmer to arrive from China... :=\

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1533 on: November 26, 2015, 08:21:20 am »
Nice but you didn't link where the case is from and what transistor tester version you have (some extra photos of the inside will help).

It is a well-known and popular DIY kit of the tester with graphic LCD display and control with a rotary encoder, which was here several times mentioned:
* DIY Kit
* Case
* Set = DIY Kit + Case

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1534 on: November 26, 2015, 08:47:46 am »
See reply #1494 (page 100) for pics of the tester board and a bug that this version has.

I registered this bug on one tester. This error is caused by a defective firmware. Flashing MCU with a functional firmware the problem is resolved.
Firmware upgrade process, I published here (post #17).

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #1535 on: November 26, 2015, 07:09:06 pm »
There have been a few mods to allow use of the case and the ZIF socket.

One forum member cut the case to allow the ZIF socket and used an extra IC socket or two between the ZIF socket and the PCB as a riser to provide adequate clearance between the top of the case and the locking lever.

I used 2mm banana jacks to expose three of the test connections, and then mounted the ZIF socket on a small piece of protoboard with 2mm banana plugs sticking out the back. I cut a small piece of scrap plastic to cover the original holes in the case.  This lets me easily switch between test leads and the ZIF socket. I've been using the test leads most of the time though, because I've been doing a lot of in-circuit checks of old capacitors.

Offline bianchifan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: November 27, 2015, 10:22:44 am »
Gearbest - well known from MTBR as genuine YINDING dealer - sells this graphical DIY kit for $16.85.

Newbies will find some useful instructions on instructables.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1537 on: November 27, 2015, 01:13:58 pm »
An update about the IR remote control test and decode feature for the m-firmware. PDM, PWM and Bi-Phase demodulation works fine and I've also added a few common protocols:
- NEC (normal and extended)
- JVC
- Matsushita
- Sony SIRC (12, 15 and 20 bit)
- standard RC-5

There is a ton of protocols and I'd like to know if there any more common ones which I should add too. Please let me know!

PS: Never though that an universal IR RC could be so handy for testing IR protocols  ;)

Offline johnka

« Reply #1538 on: November 27, 2015, 02:35:56 pm »
Gearbest - well known from MTBR as genuine YINDING dealer - sells this graphical DIY kit for $16.85.

Newbies will find some useful instructions on instructables.

Does this kit follow the original schematic?
Is there any way to power it from USB? What modifications should be done on the circuit?

Could anyone explain what are the conflicts between graphic displays and extra functions (rotary encoder, frequency counter e.t.c)?
The manual says: "In most cases the additional functions like rotary encoder or frequency counter are easier to build with the board versions for a character display, because the required data signals are routed to the display connector."
Does it refer to physical difficulty to solder extra wires on the same pins where the display is connected?
I want to build my own tester using the additional features and a graphic display. Would that be possible with this display?

ebay link
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:36:34 pm by johnka »

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #1539 on: November 27, 2015, 06:15:22 pm »
An update about the IR remote control test and decode feature for the m-firmware. PDM, PWM and Bi-Phase demodulation works fine and I've also added a few common protocols:
- NEC (normal and extended)
- JVC
- Matsushita
- Sony SIRC (12, 15 and 20 bit)
- standard RC-5

There is a ton of protocols and I'd like to know if there any more common ones which I should add too. Please let me know!

PS: Never though that an universal IR RC could be so handy for testing IR protocols  ;)
You have the major ones that I have seen used here in the US.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline gojimmypi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1540 on: November 28, 2015, 04:16:38 am »
See reply #1494 (page 100) for pics of the tester board and a bug that this version has.

I registered this bug on one tester. This error is caused by a defective firmware. Flashing MCU with a functional firmware the problem is resolved.
Firmware upgrade process, I published here (post #17).

Hi.

I have one of the China import Transistor Testers, and it seems to work quite well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381351024208

I'm trying to compile the source code onto a new ATMega128, but upon upload and startup, the red power LED is on, the LCD screen illuminates, but nothing is displayed. Perhaps I am using the wrong config.h settings? (see attached).

I've tried both this upload command:

make
avrdude -b 19200 -c avrispmkII -p m328p -v -U flash:w:ComponentTester.hex

as well as this one, from the banggood forum, above:

make
avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m328p -B 4.0 -e -U flash:w:"ComponentTester.hex":i -U eeprom:w:"ComponentTester.eep":i -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m

The chip is exactly the same ATMEGA328P-PU and I am able to burn a bootloader and upload a sample "blink" app from my Arduino.

But I simply cannot seem to make a successful burn of the Transistor tester. Any ideas?

clearly I'm a newbie at this.  :) any suggestions on getting the program to compile and upload correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #1541 on: November 28, 2015, 07:12:04 am »

I purchased this kit from Gearbest on October 30'th. It has a firmware problem. See reply #1494 (page 100). My tester reports firmware version 1.12k. The nano "n"  character is corrupted on the display. Other than this corrupted character, I've  found no  problems with it.

Unless Gearbest is now shipping  this kit with a corrected firmware version, you'll need to re-flash the chip.

I'm still waiting for my cheap Chinese USBASP AVR programmer. I should've spent another buck or two and purchased a programmer from a US seller.  :palm:

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1542 on: November 28, 2015, 11:03:08 am »
I'm trying to compile the source code onto a new ATMega128, but upon upload and startup, the red power LED is on, the LCD screen illuminates, but nothing is displayed. Perhaps I am using the wrong config.h settings? (see attached).

The lit LED indicates that the firmware is running, so you got a display issue. Based on your config.h the LCD should be a ST7565 type. Can you verify that? If it's a ST7565, please check the I/O pins used to connect the LCD. When it's another type you could try the k-firmware (a few more LCD types supported) or send me the LCD/tester and I'll write a driver.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1543 on: November 28, 2015, 11:20:41 am »
I have one of the China import Transistor Testers, and it seems to work quite well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381351024208

I've tried both this upload command:
make
avrdude -b 19200 -c avrispmkII -p m328p -v -U flash:w:ComponentTester.hex

as well as this one, from the banggood forum, above:
make
avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m328p -B 4.0 -e -U flash:w:"ComponentTester.hex":i -U eeprom:w:"ComponentTester.eep":i -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m

The chip is exactly the same ATMEGA328P-PU and I am able to burn a bootloader and upload a sample "blink" app from my Arduino.
But I simply cannot seem to make a successful burn of the Transistor tester. Any ideas?

The problem is the used software (by Markus Reschke - "m" vesrion). For this type of tester I recommend you to use the version of the software from Karl-Heinz Kübbeler ("k" version). You can directly use the current development version from this link (folder already contains the compiled firmware):
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328_st7565_kit/?view=tar

For writing firmware to the MCU you can use only this command:
avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m328p -B 4.0 -e -U flash:w:"TransistorTester.hex":i -U eeprom:w:"TransistorTester.eep":i -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:03:10 pm by tom666 »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1544 on: November 28, 2015, 11:38:47 am »
The problem is the used software (by Markus Reschke - "m" vesrion). For this type of tester I recommend you to use the version of the software from Karl-Heinz Kübbeler ("k" version). You can directly use the current development version from this link (folder already contains the compiled firmware):
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328_st7565_kit/?view=tar

So it's a ST7565 but with standard I/O pins. The T3/T4 uses different pins. Please try

#define LCD_RESET        PD0            /* port pin used for /RES */
#define LCD_A0           PD1            /* port pin used for A0 */
#define LCD_SCL          PD2            /* port pin used for SCL */
#define LCD_SI           PD3            /* port pin used for SI (LCD's data input) */
//#define LCD_CS           PD5            /* port pin used for /CS1 (optional) */

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1545 on: November 28, 2015, 12:38:31 pm »
Many questions :)

Does this kit follow the original schematic?

The scheme is identical to the original wiring. Missing just auxiliary circuit for measuring the frequency (voltage divider and an input capacitor). These elements are contained on the PCB.

Is there any way to power it from USB? What modifications should be done on the circuit?

It can be used DC-DC step-up converter. I recommend to ensure good filtration for the output voltage.

For example:
www.ebay.com/itm/2A-booster-board-DC-DC-step-up-module-input-2-24V-to-5-9-12-28V-Replace-XL6009-/131475227779

Could anyone explain what are the conflicts between graphic displays and extra functions (rotary encoder, frequency counter e.t.c)?

If they are for connecting display used MCU ports PD0, PD1, PD2, PD3 and PD5, everything is all right - this also applies for popular DIY KIT with graphic display and rotary encoder.
The problem has the LCR-T3 and LCR-T4 tester that uses ports PD1 to PD5. Port PD4 is reserved for measuring of the frequency and accordingly this function can not be used.
Other problem of these testers (LCR-T3 and LCR-T4 tester) are not adapted level of data signal MCU and G-LCD (5V vs 3.3V). Way of solving this problem you will find in the manual:
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/?view=tar

The manual says: "In most cases the additional functions like rotary encoder or frequency counter are easier to build with the board versions for a character display, because the required data signals are routed to the display connector."
Does it refer to physical difficulty to solder extra wires on the same pins where the display is connected?

See attached picture from manual.

I want to build my own tester using the additional features and a graphic display. Would that be possible with this display?
ebay link

I don't Recommend. The reason is power supply by a 3V.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1546 on: November 28, 2015, 12:56:23 pm »
So it's a ST7565 but with standard I/O pins. The T3/T4 uses different pins. Please try

#define LCD_RESET        PD0            /* port pin used for /RES */
#define LCD_A0           PD1            /* port pin used for A0 */
#define LCD_SCL          PD2            /* port pin used for SCL */
#define LCD_SI           PD3            /* port pin used for SI (LCD's data input) */
//#define LCD_CS           PD5            /* port pin used for /CS1 (optional) */

I know about this option, but because the user "gojimmypi" is not versed in the problem, so I recommended him version of the software, which is identical with the original version of the firmware (v1.12k).

Offline johnka

« Reply #1547 on: November 28, 2015, 01:44:20 pm »
@tom666 Thanks for all your replies.
What display besides the 16x2 would you suggest so I could use the additional features?
The 3V display I posted above would be ok with a 3.3V regulator?
The roatry encoder is fine to be connected on the same pins used with the display? If the issue is only the frequency counter I could sacrifice that.
I want to build my own because I haven't find one that compines the additional features with input protection and a nice display.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:24:04 pm by johnka »

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1548 on: November 28, 2015, 03:00:21 pm »
What display besides the 16x2 would you suggest so I could use the additional features?

For example JLX12864G-378 (see attached pictures and datasheet).

The 3V display I posted above would be ok with a 3.3V regulator?

Only 3.3V power supply, however, will not solve the problem with diferent levels of data signals between MCU and G-LCD.

The roatry encoder is fine to be connected on the same pins used with the display?

Encoder can be connected to the ports PD1 and PD3 in parallel to the display.

I want to build my own because I haven't find one that compines the additional features with input protection and a nice display.

This tester contains a protection circuit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12864-GM328-Transistor-Tester-Diode-Triode-Capacitance-ESR-Meter-MOS-PNP-NPN-/331646342507

Offline johnka

« Reply #1549 on: November 28, 2015, 04:14:51 pm »
For example JLX12864G-378 (see attached pictures and datasheet).

Is this the JLX12864G-378?
What protocol does it use to communicate? What column should I loook for on the manual's tables?

This tester contains a protection circuit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12864-GM328-Transistor-Tester-Diode-Triode-Capacitance-ESR-Meter-MOS-PNP-NPN-/331646342507

I've seen this model and I've seen a post some pages back with a rotary encoder modification on this tester. The display looks like the 3V version we are talking about. How did they solve the voltage levels difference on data singals?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf