Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 258723 times)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #925 on: October 11, 2022, 03:52:41 am »
Crisis averted.
I heard from Fran that Patrons have come through and made up the loss, so it's business as usual, at least for now. She'll do a follow-up video.

It's good to know but still is just a temporary bandage. She needs to find a definite solution.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #926 on: October 11, 2022, 04:16:05 am »
Crisis averted.
I heard from Fran that Patrons have come through and made up the loss, so it's business as usual, at least for now. She'll do a follow-up video.

It's good to know but still is just a temporary bandage. She needs to find a definite solution.

Maybe. Or maybe not. Nothing is definitive in life anyway.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #927 on: October 11, 2022, 04:26:32 am »
Crisis averted.

I think she had a reasonably good argument about existing subscribers going up a level.  Having $1 / 2 / 3.14 / 5 levels might seem to make sense if you just want to increase the number of subscribers, but anyone who watches much can pay $2 as easily as $1.  At least that's true in the US.

It is too bad about her pedal business.  To make that work she would need to team up with someone entirely outside the pedal/guitar/music crowd to get away from whatever issues happened there.  I don't suppose we'll see her on Shark Tank, but something like that done privately might be a winner.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #928 on: October 11, 2022, 05:18:37 am »
Crisis averted.
Maybe. Or maybe not. Nothing is definitive in life anyway.

This kind of crisis has happened practically ever year for the last 4-5 years now, and Patreon income has been naturally dropping for most creators as it happend to her. She was lucky to get the boost again this time I think.
I'd put the odds at 90% we are here again by this time next year.

Anyway, it's made me think about my spaces and how I'm not using them to their full advantage. I have 123sqm of total space, the bunker is a dump, and the dungeon is in danger of becoming one also.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #929 on: October 11, 2022, 05:25:13 am »

Anyway, it's made me think about my spaces and how I'm not using them to their full advantage. I have 123sqm of total space, the bunker is a dump, and the dungeon is in danger of becoming one also.

You could run a gaming den or possibly a bath house, if you um, wanna get your hands dirty.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 05:27:21 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #930 on: October 11, 2022, 06:26:44 am »
Crisis averted.

I'm afraid this won't be sustainable. And it must be humiliating. These videos essentially boil down to begging: "Please give me more money, not because I have something new and interesting to offer, but because I need it now."

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #931 on: October 11, 2022, 06:37:00 am »
I don't know what it's like overseas but here in Melbourne rental prices have been increasing exponentially, to the point where many simply cannot afford to keep a roof over their heads anymore. I go for long walks almost daily and it's quite disturbing to see the number of properties with a For Rent  sign and peoples possessions stacked out on the nature strip.

Even some poor kids Peri the Panda got left behind.   :( :'(
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 02:59:27 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #932 on: October 11, 2022, 06:57:51 am »
Crisis averted.

Right, until the exact same thing happens again within a year or two because nothing has changed. A recession is looming so her income is likely to drop sharply in the near future. Business as usual is the whole problem here, she's continuing down the same bone headed path that caused the previous crises and another will follow. I don't even know why people continue to hand her money, I would have stopped supporting after seeing how futile it was before. I enjoy Fran's technical videos but I have zero interest in the drama and self induced messes. This is one of those times when the cost of staying in one's comfort zone is enormous. It's even more frustrating when I just cannot even fathom why someone would so stubbornly choose such a shit hole to live in when there's an entire country to choose from, especially when the stated goal is safety. Philly is not as safe as most of the country by any measure, this is an objectively true fact.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #933 on: October 11, 2022, 07:48:37 am »
Extremely & obsessively hard headed.......and thats it.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #934 on: October 11, 2022, 08:41:56 am »
I don't know what it's like overseas but here in Melbourne rental prices have been increasing exponentially, to the point where many simply cannot afford to keep a roof over their heads anymore.

Not a major increase in commercial rents in my business part. But I'm glad I don't rent any more and downsized back to the windowsless place that I own. I could still have afforded to rent that place at $32k/year, and it's twice the size as my one and has windows. But I'd be paying for the lifestyle and more room to put my junk.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #935 on: October 11, 2022, 08:45:37 am »
Crisis averted.

Right, until the exact same thing happens again within a year or two because nothing has changed. A recession is looming so her income is likely to drop sharply in the near future.

For my contrary opinion that nobody asked for, here's mine albeit perhaps just a theory at this stage.

If a for-real zombie apocalypse happens, Fran might be better off there, from a security standpoint.

iratus parum formica

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #936 on: October 11, 2022, 11:36:29 am »
For my contrary opinion that nobody asked for, here's mine albeit perhaps just a theory at this stage.

If a for-real zombie apocalypse happens, Fran might be better off there, from a security standpoint.

I'm thinking she's using the "The Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't know" line of thinking.

Or perhaps Hamlet's thinking process -

"The undiscovere'd country, from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry
And lose the name of action."

OK I'll go away now.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #937 on: October 11, 2022, 11:57:30 am »
Crisis averted.
The continuum of support shows how the base pulls through in times of need, but it resembles the scenario of giving money to an addict. I ceased support after a series of ranting videos about the insufferable weight of her life choices, despite having enough clout to do unimaginable things such as changing Google results about her or being able to financially pull out of crisis after crisis.

The criticism about suggestions provided by outsiders is impossible to curb, especially when the reasons and line of thought are supposedly made public. I mentioned years ago: when you receive money from someone, it can come with a slight loss of leverage on what you do, as spending choices start to become much more scrutinized by the public (such as the flight school or the near space event).

I only hope she does not burn her credibility for new supporters and stretch the patience of her existing by having yet another unfallible plan that pretty much resembles the former one. The supporters may feel they are giving money to someone that is not making reasonable monetary decisions and the risk of a steep drop in income is quite real.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #938 on: October 11, 2022, 01:12:57 pm »
As long there are sympathizers, fans, admirers and etc to be milked on, "for years", why stop ?

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #939 on: October 11, 2022, 02:12:57 pm »
Such a safe and wonderful place to live, full of brotherhood...

There is none so blind as he who will not see..... :horse:
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #940 on: October 11, 2022, 05:12:45 pm »
As long there are sympathizers, fans, admirers and etc to be milked on, "for years", why stop ?

I would not advocate stopping, I mean it's free money that is given voluntarily, I wouldn't expect anyone to turn that down. I just don't care about her struggles anymore because they are self induced, I agree with the comment above that it's a bit like giving money to an addict, it's just enabling poor choices and it is IMHO a poor investment. If she were purchasing a permanent location with the money then I would consider contributing but when I spend money I expect a solution, not just kicking the can down the road. The Fran rent crisis keeps happening over and over, because she's doing the same thing over and over and steadfastly refusing to do anything differently to change the outcome. The end result eventually is that something is going to force her hand, and change will come out of necessity, and she will have much less control over the outcome than if she had made the change happen herself.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #941 on: October 11, 2022, 06:08:53 pm »

The Open Society :-+
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #942 on: October 11, 2022, 06:23:50 pm »
Extremely & obsessively hard headed.......and thats it.

Well, asking for help and denying any solution that is not what the person had in mind initially is an extremely common behavior.
We unfortunately see this on a regular basis with clients. (Whoever has never run into this issue with a client, please raise your hand!) This can be very, very frustrating.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #943 on: October 11, 2022, 07:20:43 pm »
These are the places on Loopnet near Philly that are under $10/sqft/year
But I've tried to find her places before and I know she wants me and other to stop looking for her, it seems to upset her if you even try  :(
[...]

I doubt she's upset with you so much as she's upset with the facts that you are sharing.  Stubborn people often get upset while fighting off their stubbornness.

Just a guess: maybe she wants people to know how awful bigots and landlords are and she's willing to go broke to prove it.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #944 on: October 11, 2022, 07:41:21 pm »
With so much money contributed she should have purchased a place when the first eviction happened, end of story for me.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #945 on: October 11, 2022, 07:55:17 pm »
With so much money contributed she should have purchased a place when the first eviction happened, end of story for me.
I agree. But some people are just so stuck in their ways and people around them enabling them to continue their bad behaviour. I watched some episodes from a US TV series called hoarders. It is about people that got stuck in their situation (by hoarding stuff) and only a serious intervention + therapy can help them crawl out of the hole they dug for themselves.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #946 on: October 12, 2022, 12:19:50 am »

You don't stop what's working, but if you are smart then you realise you are on the edge all the time and plan accordingly. In this case that would be dramatically lower expenses and save as much cash for when you inevitably fall on the bad side of the edge again.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #947 on: October 12, 2022, 12:27:34 am »
Not only hoarders, but there were also shows about the lives of über-overweight people and there was always an enabler behind the scenes, as the people themselves were sometimes unable to even leave their beds or houses, let alone go out to buy groceries. These relationships were usually based on guilt with a very controlling person - something similar to the current fad of glorifying obese people. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #948 on: October 12, 2022, 12:55:17 am »

Wow, I checked.
I know there are bad neighborhods in every city, but damn.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #949 on: October 12, 2022, 01:01:12 am »
These are the places on Loopnet near Philly that are under $10/sqft/year
But I've tried to find her places before and I know she wants me and other to stop looking for her, it seems to upset her if you even try  :(
[...]
I doubt she's upset with you so much as she's upset with the facts that you are sharing.  Stubborn people often get upset while fighting off their stubbornness.

FYI, she just sent me lengthy email thanking me for my help and concern. We are in regular contact about this stuff. Problem is the engineer in me wants to help solve the problem and I go overboard by doing the research to try and find her alternatives, I can't help myself  :-\

From the original gofundme video she said she needs about 2000sqft
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 01:23:49 am by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf