Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3084344 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #3750 on: December 27, 2015, 01:39:51 pm »
Just look at the time line for this case. This whole procedure will take 16 months. No matter who wins this one, Batteroo already lost this one. IMHO a 16 months wait is something they just cannot afford at the moment.

Does the case legally stop Batteriser shipping potentially infringing units?
Even if it didn't, doing so is near suicidal, it just adds to the infringing cost.
Even is Batteroo (and the VC's) fought this and won. It would actually take years and cost them millions to win it. I doubt Energizer wouldn't see it through till the end. They would have a whole legal team that salivate at the thought of cases like this.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3751 on: December 27, 2015, 01:54:51 pm »
I still don't believe they created their own IC and don't buy the 500mA output either, never mind anything higher.
I don't believe that either.

But just take a look at what their Youtube fan posted:

So without the use of bulky caps or inductors, still a peak current of 4.5 Amp!
And they designed all this in just a few months after realizing their first version wasn't good enough.

If they really had such a design, I would recommend them selling it to NS/TI or LT, and forget about the flimsy sleeves.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:57:21 pm by PeterL »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3752 on: December 27, 2015, 01:59:56 pm »
I just realised that if this thing goes to court they may be required under law to swear on a book not to tell porky pies, that alone might be a challenge.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3753 on: December 27, 2015, 02:09:16 pm »
I just realised that if this thing goes to court they may be required under law to swear on a book not to tell porky pies, that alone might be a challenge.

Only the chump spokesperson is the one who has to do that, and as anybody knows the spokesperson is generally one who bears a very strong resemblance to Forrest Gump.

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #3754 on: December 27, 2015, 02:17:51 pm »
So did anyone predict this turn of events?

I think nobody expected "Big Battery" to really care about the device and they probably still wouldn't have if they weren't afraid for their brand name being smudged  being associated with Batterizer by consumers.

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #3755 on: December 27, 2015, 02:19:41 pm »

They do have a lot of guts to promote their product with medicial / life support devices like "heart monitors" and "emergency equipment"  :-\
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 02:22:20 pm by jippie »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3756 on: December 27, 2015, 03:03:19 pm »

a) all the sleeves they made (which have been made according to them, just waiting on the chip?) will have to be re-done.
Naaah they will rename to "Batter" and put a sticker over the last four letters  :)

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #3757 on: December 27, 2015, 03:14:01 pm »

a) all the sleeves they made (which have been made according to them, just waiting on the chip?) will have to be re-done.
Naaah they will rename to "Batter" and put a sticker over the last four letters  :)

Naah, just a sticker "Batteroo" and them can be sent to backers. Unless the sticker machine gets jammed and there will be yet an another delay because of that ;)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3758 on: December 27, 2015, 03:45:14 pm »
And given that the Ingiegogo backers are technically financial backers of the company, this (and likely Patent failure) is news that Batteroo need to share with them.

... and not doing so in a timely manner might be an offence. It's also a strong indication for embezzlement.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3759 on: December 27, 2015, 03:56:34 pm »
I wonder if the Indigogo contributors are also likely to be liable for more than they paid, as they technically can be considered to be shareholders of the company, and might be required to pay in extra to cover the settlement.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3760 on: December 27, 2015, 05:04:02 pm »

I never thought that "Big Battery" would waste their time on something so petty. I'm pretty disappointed that Energizer just granted Bros. Roohparvar such undeserved credibility. Now that the device will not be allowed to fail in the open market, we're going to be listening to this "Big Battery" conspiracy garbage for decades.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3761 on: December 27, 2015, 05:07:47 pm »
I wonder if the Indigogo contributors are also likely to be liable for more than they paid, as they technically can be considered to be shareholders of the company, and might be required to pay in extra to cover the settlement.

If Energizer tries that, they are absolutely stupid. That would generate 1000X more ill will in the market than they could ever hope to recover. If Energizer is smart, they will settle for a name change only, with no money changing hands, and be done with it.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3762 on: December 27, 2015, 05:10:00 pm »
Yes. they are so predictable...

Alexander.
I see some (involuntary?) irony in Dr. Bob closing his letter with 'Best Wishes'.
As, that's all what you backers will be left with.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3763 on: December 27, 2015, 05:16:24 pm »

If Energizer tries that, they are absolutely stupid. That would generate 1000X more ill will in the market than they could ever hope to recover. If Energizer is smart, they will settle for a name change only, with no money changing hands, and be done with it.

I wonder just how good the separation is between the founders and the company. There is still some liability for them if it folds, they might not get off without losing more than reputation.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3764 on: December 27, 2015, 05:28:04 pm »

I wonder just how good the separation is between the founders and the company. There is still some liability for them if it folds, they might not get off without losing more than reputation.

In the US, the LLC is a pretty good shield against this type of stuff.  The real risk is to SK Telecom. That is the deep pocket here.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3765 on: December 27, 2015, 06:07:21 pm »

In the US, the LLC is a pretty good shield against this type of stuff.  The real risk is to SK Telecom. That is the deep pocket here.

Might be, but if they can prove fraud or gross neglect then that will probably fall away and expose them direct.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3766 on: December 27, 2015, 06:28:29 pm »

Nope.

But the Batteriser Brothers must have popped their special reserve bottle of champagne when they received that letter. It's a perfect "out" for them.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3767 on: December 27, 2015, 06:32:24 pm »

Wonder if that's why their C-cell version had wonky lettering?

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3768 on: December 27, 2015, 06:38:20 pm »
Stupendously stupid move from Energizer. They are going to spoil all the fun.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #3769 on: December 27, 2015, 07:11:22 pm »
Stupendously stupid move from Energizer. They are going to spoil all the fun.

Alexander.
Yes, i bought a solid supply of popcorn that i will burn in with if they collaps now...

Erik
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3770 on: December 27, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »
I didn't had the time to read through. The problem is having the "izer" on a battery related product? I could understand it if they where using something like "DarkEnergizer". Batterizer seems totally legit to me (as a name).

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #3771 on: December 27, 2015, 07:32:03 pm »
Rename the product DurexCell. It's a sleeve over a stick anyway. What could possibly go wrong.

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3772 on: December 27, 2015, 07:40:46 pm »
Rename the product DurexCell. It's a sleeve over a stick anyway. What could possibly go wrong.

Keep one in your wallet and you are then Ever Ready !

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3773 on: December 27, 2015, 08:49:41 pm »
I didn't had the time to read through. The problem is having the "izer" on a battery related product? I could understand it if they where using something like "DarkEnergizer". Batterizer seems totally legit to me (as a name).

Alexander.
I agree, to me it is quite far fetched to sue a company based on the izer/iser part of the name.

Offline expertmax

• Regular Contributor
The Batteriser Saga (continues?)
« Reply #3774 on: December 27, 2015, 08:56:56 pm »
Hi fellow eevblog forum users!

I'm very sorry to start another thread about the Batteriser but it seems like the saga won't stop since now they updated their indiegogo page with a delay in shipment due to changes in the hardware and a landslide in Shen Zhen (if you believe that story).

The hardware changes

With each passing day,  we are getting closer and closer to shipping your Batterisers. As you may recall, we initially planned to ship the 500 milli-amp beta version of the Batteriser; however, we made a strategic decision to deliver Batterisers with a  new IC (Integrated circuit) capable of driving 1300 milli-amps of steady state current. We did this because the new version will make Batteriser more compatible with a wider range of devices, and we want to give our backers the absolute best final product that we believe they deserve. Unfortunately, in the construction of the updated Batteriser IC, we encountered unexpected technical fabrication process related issues which caused us to miss our estimated November shipping date. 
Article found on https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/batteriser-extend-battery-life-by-up-to-8x#/updates

Personally I don't see how changing the chip from 500 mA to 1.3 A will increase product compatibility but it seems like the Batteroo folks are trying to delay their shipping date, there's a reason why and I'll get to that in a second.

We are now thrilled to announce that we have identified and resolved our fab process issues, and  have conducted testing of the new IC, with great results. The Batteriser final assembly is underway and packaging is nearly complete.  Unfortunately, due to a tragic heavy landslide in Shenzhen, China  this week,  we are now facing additional slight delays.

OK fair enough, a landslide prevents the shipment of the product. But I investigated further and I found that the landslide was actually in a landfill zone and was about 400 meters wide. The landslide happened in a rural area of Shen Zhen and there is no company near the landslide for at least 2km. So I call this BULLS*IT.

Delays means more money in

Of course this is all so obvious, they are fighting with time and excuses to delay the release of their product. Why? Because they are still taking orders which means they are still taking money away from people. Yes one day they will have to ship their real product but it will not work as advertised and this is when their success will start to slope downwards.

If you plan to ship a product, why would you radically change your hardware if you know you will screw up your promised shipment date? They promised end-november... well we are nearing 2016 and no Batteriser in sight.

What will happen next?

Now my big question was: what will happen to the poeple on indiegogo who funded the development of the Batteriser? Do they have some sort of insurance if no product shows up? What about if the Batteriser does not work as designed/promised/advertised? Will they be able to get a refund?

One thing is for sure, Batteroo will run away with the money. After the batteriser, you will never see the name Roohparvar again and with a good reason: Dave pretty much ruined the last drop of credibility they had and that's a good thing, we don't need these kind of products on our market.

Now, what are your thoughts about this?

Let's hope people on indiegogo will have a refund if necessary and that Batteroo hits a brick wall  |O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf