Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3084081 times)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #4100 on: January 15, 2016, 11:01:03 am »
I wish that they would hurry up and release something, even a video of the working but not quite right half amp version would have kept some people satisfied and confirmed that they were on the job.

Anyway can't wait for the exploded view pictures to arrive.....chips or popcorn, I can't decide..... :popcorn:

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4101 on: January 15, 2016, 11:05:47 am »
My torches work down to under 0.8V. No need for Batteriser.
Of course, mine do too (I actually tested one of them on the bench PSU back when we were all doing that kinda stuff in this thread (how long ago was that again?)).
[/quote]

OMG you can't use a PSU to test low battery voltage! The Batteroo experts say so!

Offline GoneTomorrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4102 on: January 15, 2016, 11:11:00 am »
OMG you can't use a PSU to test low battery voltage! The Batteroo experts say so!

Remember, it's wrong and misleading at best. Batteries are not power supplies!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4103 on: January 15, 2016, 12:03:40 pm »
Anyway can't wait for the exploded view pictures to arrive.....chips or popcorn, I can't decide..... :popcorn:

You can create your own "exploded view" when you attach it to something that pulls more than 1.3A :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4104 on: January 15, 2016, 12:52:10 pm »
 No worries on the sleeve getting stuck - they have those convenient holes drilled in there so you can attach pull cords to pull out the battery and sleeve after even their amazing device can no longer extract energy from the battery.  8)

"Half a bee's dick" (yes, I've heard Dave say it in his videos many times as well) - so much more, umm, 'polite' than the typical expression used in the US to represent the same thing.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #4105 on: January 15, 2016, 12:58:34 pm »
No worries on the sleeve getting stuck - they have those convenient holes drilled in there so you can attach pull cords to pull out the battery and sleeve after even their amazing device can no longer extract energy from the battery.  8)

"Half a bee's dick" (yes, I've heard Dave say it in his videos many times as well) - so much more, umm, 'polite' than the typical expression used in the US to represent the same thing.

There's a US version of the saying?

Edit: Hmmm...Ohhhhh! It just dawned on me.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:02:59 pm by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4106 on: January 15, 2016, 01:01:20 pm »
 The most common US version references a hair from a certain part of the female anatomy - I guess that's what I get for associating with truck drivers and mechanics. But hey, if this computer thing falls through, I know how to run construction equipment and work on big diesel engines. (joke - not about to make a major switch at nearly 50, the computer thing has worked out pretty well over the years)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #4107 on: January 15, 2016, 01:03:53 pm »

The most common US version references a hair from a certain part of the female anatomy - I guess that's what I get for associating with truck drivers and mechanics. But hey, if this computer thing falls through, I know how to run construction equipment and work on big diesel engines. (joke - not about to make a major switch at nearly 50, the computer thing has worked out pretty well over the years)

I cun't harely believe that didn't occur to me sooner.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4108 on: January 15, 2016, 01:24:31 pm »
 As Dave likes to say, winner winner, chicken dinner!

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4109 on: January 15, 2016, 03:14:20 pm »

In the UK it's often referred to as a "Gnat's cock", which I believe is the S.I. unit.  We don't use the old imperial Bee dicks any more.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #4110 on: January 15, 2016, 03:42:56 pm »

You can create your own "exploded view" when you attach it to something that pulls more than 1.3A :)

McBryce.

Batterizer -> Batteroaster
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Bob F.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4111 on: January 15, 2016, 04:57:15 pm »
... and they all mostly have about half a bee's dick of slop ...
Now I don't feel well...

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #4112 on: January 15, 2016, 06:21:08 pm »

McBryce.

Batterizer -> Batteroaster
To roast a chicken with only one AAA battery? That's would be really interesting!
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4113 on: January 15, 2016, 06:30:14 pm »
I just noticed that the new video says to insert the Batteriser when the device battery is low on juice. Why not from the beginning with fresh batteries? :D

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #4114 on: January 15, 2016, 06:58:15 pm »
I just noticed that the new video says to insert the Batteriser when the device battery is low on juice. Why not from the beginning with fresh batteries?

They've gone back and forth several times on the recommendation for that one....

If you don't insert them until the cells are depleated you lose the placebo effect of some people thinking it really does extend battery life by forgetting how long the cells have been in the device and people will quickly notice that they only get a small increase in useful life from those dead cells when they slap them into a Batteriser.

On the other hand, if you insert fresh cells into a Batteriser then your device will operate at full speed / full brightness / whatever (which is sometimes a part of Batteroo's claims; that it makes your device work BETTER by giving it a constant 1.5v per cell along with their "it's safer with a Batteriser" BS, etc.) at the expense of shorter battery life than without the Batteriser.

That's a dilly of a pickle...  :)

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4115 on: January 15, 2016, 07:23:49 pm »

Give it a break, you keep harping on and on about this.
You are wrong.
Many people and journalists come to this thread to learn about what's happening and to get some engineering fact and professional comment. We don't want it to turn into conspiracy theory central.

Agree on some parts, the only thing I do not like is "you are wrong"
I would like to learn WHY "I am wrong", and what data you use to come to that conclusion.

Please give some info about your high-respected "journalists" that saw "the product".
You did not see "the product" yourself.
Those "journalists" you run after for some conspiracy reason, are the same kind of guys ar Roohpavar.
Good at the drawing table, not understanding the difference between charge and voltage.
The product exists, but it's wheat her  it does what they say, and if they are really going to ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4116 on: January 15, 2016, 08:17:43 pm »
I cun't harely believe that didn't occur to me sooner.

Your "mis-spelling" was probably too sublte for most to have got the joke :) But I laughed my ass off.  :-+

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline lincoln

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4117 on: January 15, 2016, 09:08:30 pm »
Assuming customers were to ever receive their Batteroosers, I can see many of them getting stuck inside the devices with tubular battery holders (such as the Apple keyboard). I have a few devices with such holders (mainly torches) and they all mostly have about half a bee's dick of slop between battery and casing. Simply wrapping a single layer of 80gsm paper around makes the battery an interference fit.

The shape of the spine of the Batterooser also looks to be non-cylindrical, so there's got to be at least a millimeter there. I'm pretty sure that it would require some force to get into my torches, and then be impossible to remove.

Right? The Apple keyboard is so small that with the right battery (specifically Duracell procells) they barely come out due to a near gas tight seal....

A shame I don't have any any more but I thing the keyboard runs down to below 1v per cell. It has been a while so i don't remember. I had a whole fleet of thees things and the batteries were toast after the kb started to report an issue. mmmhhh.....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:13:57 pm by lincoln »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4118 on: January 15, 2016, 10:39:25 pm »
A shame I don't have any any more but I thing the keyboard runs down to below 1v per cell. It has been a while so i don't remember.

I think someone busted the Apple keyboard on here too, IIRC it did go down to 1V or less.

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4119 on: January 15, 2016, 10:55:19 pm »
Assuming customers were to ever receive their Batteroosers, I can see many of them getting stuck inside the devices with tubular battery holders (such as the Apple keyboard).
Stay tuned for my up coming Indiegogo campaign for... The BATTERiserY (patent pending):
Alkaline batteries that have a slightly smaller diameter than standard, so you can insert them into a Batteriser sleeve and be able to fit them in to tight holders!  ;)

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4120 on: January 15, 2016, 11:42:05 pm »
Assuming customers were to ever receive their Batteroosers, I can see many of them getting stuck inside the devices with tubular battery holders (such as the Apple keyboard).
Stay tuned for my up coming Indiegogo campaign for... The BATTERiserY (patent pending):
Alkaline batteries that have a slightly smaller diameter than standard, so you can insert them into a Batteriser sleeve and be able to fit them in to tight holders!  ;)

800% smaller?

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4121 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:10 pm »
 Negative space-time? Wait - that might provide infinite energy, in which case no Batteriser needed, ever!
Forget buying lottery tickets, I'm dumping it all in this campaign!

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #4122 on: January 15, 2016, 11:51:20 pm »

A shame I don't have any any more but I thing the keyboard runs down to below 1v per cell. It has been a while so i don't remember.

I think someone busted the Apple keyboard on here too, IIRC it did go down to 1V or less.

There's two versions of the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard. When it was first released it took 3 AA batteries; IIRC within 6 months to a year they quietly released a new version that only needed 2 batteries. Nothing else changed externally. I think they bumped the part number up by a single digit.

Anyway, the older version of the keyboard may not work at as low of a voltage? I've got one here and can test it if anyone is interested.

Offline rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4123 on: January 16, 2016, 12:54:25 am »
Negative space-time? Wait - that might provide infinite energy, in which case no Batteriser needed, ever!

Do you work for Steorn by any chance?  :)  I believe that is pretty much the explanation they use to the media :bullshit:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4124 on: January 16, 2016, 03:27:15 am »
Do you work for Steorn by any chance?  :)  I believe that is pretty much the explanation they use to the media :bullshit:

Steorn are buying Batteriser! It'll take 800% longer to release a working product now!  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf