Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3088904 times)

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #2675 on: September 23, 2015, 01:35:15 pm »
This Gizmodo article doesn't muck around!
http://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-the-bullshit-this-indiegogo-campaign-is-sellin-1732402971

If Batteroo are worried about my big audience, try Gizmodo  ;D

That's a well written, down-to-earth, factual article. Well done Chris Mills for not just regurgitating the promo copy but actually doing some digging!  :-+ :-+ :-+

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2676 on: September 23, 2015, 01:50:44 pm »

How do they even manufacture stuff like that?

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
« Reply #2677 on: September 23, 2015, 02:17:17 pm »
similarily to MLCC capacitors :

Probably add 2/3 steps for the vias.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #2678 on: September 23, 2015, 02:32:59 pm »
"The wave of bad publicity led to a few changes: Batteriser changed its website and video, to remove the claim that ‘all’ batteries have 80% capacity remaining (a mistake Roohparvar told me was because of a “miscommunication” between the engineers and the “website guys”);?
:palm:
The website guys made the official promo video too?  :palm:
https://youtu.be/4iEshd6izgk?t=33m52s

Weirdly enough, today's Batteriser web site implies that it's all of them:

Devices only tap into 20% of a Battary's charge before it[sic] tells you the battery is "dead". Batteriser taps into the other 80%..

I wonder if the IndieGoGo backers have been told the official numbers have gone from "8x" to "80% more" (which is only 1.8x).

...or is it 5x more (ie. going from 20% to 100%)??   I guess math isn't their strong point  :-DD

Maybe it's just that Batteroo have never done the thunderingly obvious test of actually measuring things then publishing a list like this:

Example battery life increase:

Flashlights: XX% longer
Monkeys: YY% longer...

etc.
It could be even worse, 80% of the used 20%!
So 36% of the complete battery charge!
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2679 on: September 23, 2015, 02:39:22 pm »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2680 on: September 23, 2015, 03:06:39 pm »
similarily to MLCC capacitors : Probably add 2/3 steps for the vias.

I guess so...

Offline dr_frost_dk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2681 on: September 23, 2015, 06:01:52 pm »
Let's see if this gets deleted or if they comment on it :)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2682 on: September 23, 2015, 07:03:39 pm »
The Roohparvar show reminds me of this great Aussie classic from the early 90's.
 :-DD

Offline photon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2683 on: September 23, 2015, 07:32:30 pm »
They are at the point where they HAVE to release "something" in terms of a tangible product rather than pulling out at this late stage.

Pulling out was never an option. This isn't a couple of schmucks in a garage, it's a professional VC backed company with big names on the board of directors, with a ton of resources, money, and experience. They'll ride this donkey all the way into town, with bells on.
The biggest mistake they made was to try and defend their (ever changing) technical claims, they should have just kept quiet and most likely everyone would have forgotten all about it.
Batteries seem to be a current hot button for VC's. Here's a VC funded company with a 9 volt battery with micro and wi-fi for $36. http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1327736

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #2684 on: September 23, 2015, 08:31:48 pm »
They are at the point where they HAVE to release "something" in terms of a tangible product rather than pulling out at this late stage.

Pulling out was never an option. This isn't a couple of schmucks in a garage, it's a professional VC backed company with big names on the board of directors, with a ton of resources, money, and experience. They'll ride this donkey all the way into town, with bells on.
The biggest mistake they made was to try and defend their (ever changing) technical claims, they should have just kept quiet and most likely everyone would have forgotten all about it.
Batteries seem to be a current hot button for VC's. Here's a VC funded company with a 9 volt battery with micro and wi-fi for $36. http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1327736
What the?!

Why install that in the battery and not in the smoke alarm? How can a stupid 9V battery can detect that the alarm is ringing?

That even more stupid than the batteriser :/
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2685 on: September 23, 2015, 08:36:47 pm »
Something tells me they are going to edit or pull their videos with the 800% claim...

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #2686 on: September 23, 2015, 08:40:00 pm »
I received this email from Batteriser... still misleading.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #2687 on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:49 pm »
Who exactly is Blomgren and was he actually associated ever with Eveready Batteries? And what is Imara Corp and is this the same guy?
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2688 on: September 23, 2015, 09:00:12 pm »
He's a "rent-an-expert", consult who is also on the bat-board, but supposedly he did actually work for Union Carbide. Here he is in action: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/battery-expert-i-would-not-fly-in-a-dreamliner/

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2689 on: September 23, 2015, 09:50:27 pm »
Who exactly is Blomgren and was he actually associated ever with Eveready Batteries? And what is Imara Corp and is this the same guy?

http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2009/12/09/turning-out-the-lights-imara-a-lithium-ion-battery-maker/

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2690 on: September 23, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »
Hi Group,

Here is some of the latest comments on the Batteriser IGG Campaign:

This is their response to the comment that drew their attention to the Gizmodo article:

Their comments on the Video posted by TechnologyCatalyst (Forum Member 5ky)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1662&v=bw_jFIPxePc

Ali claims that the results are suspect, because the G3 should not last 17 hours:

And to top it off, questions about the Monkey:

This comment links Ali directly to the Batteriser Fan Page.

Jay_Diddy_B

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:55:18 pm by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2691 on: September 23, 2015, 11:49:32 pm »
http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2009/12/09/turning-out-the-lights-imara-a-lithium-ion-battery-maker/

That list of VC backed companies gone belly-up is impressive, and just the tip of the iceberg of course.
And of course, if you are the founder of such a company, instead of getting a bad rep, it seems to be a badge of honour and easier to get your next VC idea funded.
No wonder many people can spend their entire career going from one failed startup to the next, on someone else's dime. Good gig if you can get it I guess.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2692 on: September 23, 2015, 11:54:32 pm »
Ali claims that the results are suspect, because the G3 should not last 17 hours:

They can prove this beyond doubt, just do a proper time-lapse video.
And anyone else can verify it too.
This is not a matter of opinion, it's one of demonstrable quantifiable provable fact.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2693 on: September 24, 2015, 12:02:52 am »
Notice how everybody on their board is "former president of...whatever", ie. nobody the companies thought was worth keeping (assuming they didn't go bust).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:07:59 am by Fungus »

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #2694 on: September 24, 2015, 12:07:58 am »
Nice to see that Gizmodo article. I suspect Gizmodo have about the same target audience as batteriser is trying to fool. :D

Meanwhile I've discovered a real battery problem here at home: my wireless mouse drains my batteries to literally zero volts, and this appears to harm the NiMh batteries I use with it (one even had inverted polarity when I measured it!) I wouldn't have noticed if not for all these battery videos. I suppose I need to come up with some sort of low voltage cut-off circuit for it. :-\

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2695 on: September 24, 2015, 12:13:06 am »

This is not a matter of opinion, it's one of demonstrable quantifiable provable fact.
I think Ali is my favorite of the Batteroo Brothers. Very quotable.

Offline photon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2696 on: September 24, 2015, 12:55:37 am »

That list of VC backed companies gone belly-up is impressive, and just the tip of the iceberg of course.
And of course, if you are the founder of such a company, instead of getting a bad rep, it seems to be a badge of honour and easier to get your next VC idea funded.
No wonder many people can spend their entire career going from one failed startup to the next, on someone else's dime. Good gig if you can get it I guess.
Losing millions of dollars is going to hurt a lot of people and cost them their jobs. But some are so politically astute that they can successfully reflect blame and survive. These are the dangerous ones, but I do think they eventually get their due rep wise.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2697 on: September 24, 2015, 01:15:34 am »

And once again, those not in the profession neither understand nor account for engineering safety factors. When I write "operates 15 hours" on a specification, I'm going to damned well make sure I have enough headroom to make it.

Of course the GPS runs 17 hours with fresh Duracells at room temperature. It's SUPPOSED TO!!!!!

:palm:

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #2698 on: September 24, 2015, 01:23:46 am »
Well, from the Battero perspective and according to the other Batteriser logic it makes perfect sense to claim something runs 15 hours when in reality it was only 2... I suppose it's understandable Roohparvar finds it hard to believe any product could possibly be better than the manufacturers specs. 

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2699 on: September 24, 2015, 01:31:55 am »
That response from Batteriser just makes me want to go and get one of these GPS's and repeat the test myself...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf