Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3088894 times)

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #3225 on: November 23, 2015, 08:53:20 am »
They might be in trouble with potentially having their patent application rejected, but does mean they are infringing the other patents?
Wouldn't it just mean that their variation is simply not novel enough to warrant granting a new patent?
The discussion seem quite extensive (see attached).

I think the examiner is more interested in obviousness than novelty. If the examiner rejects based on novelty against the claims of an active patent, then I think there would likely be potential infringement issue. Same with direct obviousness. However, for obviousness against combination of patents (sec 103 - the current batteriser prior art), it's a lot less clear to me (not lawyer); seems like you could have a patent rejected but be ok to enter market in many/most cases but can’t find that stated anywhere. I think this case may fall under the “Doctrine of equivalents” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_of_equivalents but I don’t really know.

I doubt that's the only reason for the delay though.

I doubt it's a reason for any delay.

Agreed in this case. However, half the use of a patent is to be “reasonably assured you can enter the space”; if they are really sincere that they wish to enter the market as a serious company it would be dumb not wait out the short period until fully examined by the USPTO since the space is fairly convoluted, and the number of units they wish to send out is definitely enough to get them noticed if there is an infringement issue present. If they wait, then they can possibly maneuver a bit to get out of infringement (if any found) and if they're rejected but not in infringement, then no big deal in-terms of shipping units. I think they knew this would be the normal thing to do, which is why at the bottom of their Indiegogo page, the timeline clearly says “2010-2013 … Patents” as if they had done it before presale.

The discussion seem quite extensive (see attached).
Attached file from the patent examiner which is in reference to previous attachment; not a quick read but makes the other file from Batteroo more readable.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3226 on: November 23, 2015, 09:11:00 am »
Wouldn't it just mean that their variation is simply not novel enough to warrant granting a new patent?
How could you possibly measure a quantity of novelty? What the patent system is supposed to judge is obviousness of novelty to someone versed in the field, although it does a pretty poor job of this.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #3227 on: November 23, 2015, 09:41:57 am »
How could you possibly measure a quantity of novelty? What the patent system is supposed to judge is obviousness of novelty to someone versed in the field, although it does a pretty poor job of this.

Obviousness and novelty are treated as separate things by the patent office. Novelty is actually considered the easier of the two to measure, since it is usually just examining claims, dates, and disclosures. Obviousness is... less obvious see http://www.bitlaw.com/patent/requirements.html

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3228 on: November 23, 2015, 10:01:38 am »

Obviousness and novelty are treated as separate things by the patent office. Novelty is actually considered the easier of the two to measure, since it is usually just examining claims, dates, and disclosures. Obviousness is... less obvious see http://www.bitlaw.com/patent/requirements.html
The patent office doesn't try to measure amounts of novelty, only that novelty is present.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3229 on: November 23, 2015, 10:37:08 am »

That's because the patent examiner almost certainly isn't someone who's well versed in the practical  field.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3230 on: November 23, 2015, 02:28:03 pm »

That's because the patent examiner almost certainly isn't someone who's well versed in the practical  field.

And it doesn't help that they only get paid to accept patents, not to reject them.

Offline adprom

• Contributor
« Reply #3231 on: November 24, 2015, 12:01:51 am »
AFAICT, that's hearsay until confirmed.

You have just completely made up that capacitor theory! It is complete hearsay (and unwarranted speculation) that something may exist where there has been no indication that it exists, and it is not mentioned in any patent. If that was the case - they would be marketing the hell out of it.
Nearly any decently designed device has a boost converter in in it. No well designed digital camera works poorly with rechargeable batteries. It has been years since I have had a device that has a particularly high cut off voltage. I think the last, was a really old cordless mouse.

You're a careful buyer. Least cost economics tend to favor poor choices.

As Dave said, it is quite hard to find any circuit, even cheap rubbish that doesn't have a boost converter in it.

Sadly, many consumer electronics products are not designed for optimal battery performance.

See comment above.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #3232 on: November 24, 2015, 05:20:33 am »
And it doesn't help that they only get paid to accept patents, not to reject them.

Huh?

The patent examiner at the patent office gets paid their salary regardless of how many patents they accept or deny.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3233 on: November 24, 2015, 07:55:52 am »

Huh?

The patent examiner at the patent office gets paid their salary regardless of how many patents they accept or deny.
The patent office gets paid for accepting patents, so their ability to pay staff is predicated on sustaining a good rate of patent acceptance. Not following a "when in doubt accept" policy is not likely to be career enhancing.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3234 on: November 24, 2015, 10:21:27 am »
Huh? The patent examiner at the patent office gets paid their salary regardless of how many patents they accept or deny.

Sure, but their bosses don't.

Patents are a commercial enterprise. Their bosses want them to accept as many patents as possible. Rejecting a lot of patents is frowned upon.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3235 on: November 24, 2015, 10:23:11 am »
AFAICT, that's hearsay until confirmed.
You have just completely made up that capacitor theory! It is complete hearsay (and unwarranted speculation) that something may exist where there has been no indication that it exists

Hey, that's the way the over-unity people roll...

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3236 on: November 24, 2015, 11:46:49 am »

I wonder if there are any rouge hard-arse patent examiners? who just sit there all day and go:
Nope!
Bullshit!
*face palm*
You gotta be kidding!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3237 on: November 24, 2015, 11:51:26 am »

I wonder if there are any rouge hard-arse patent examiners? who just sit there all day and go:
Nope!
Bullshit!
*face palm*
You gotta be kidding!

No, they do an IQ test at the interview and if you pass it you don't get a job.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3238 on: November 24, 2015, 11:53:03 am »
Einstein once worked in a patent office...admittedly, not in the US.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #3239 on: November 24, 2015, 11:57:34 am »

Nope!
Bullshit!
*face palm*
You gotta be kidding!
And have a cousin named Probe?
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3240 on: November 24, 2015, 12:19:43 pm »
Nope!
Bullshit!
*face palm*
You gotta be kidding!

Sadly, not.

I'd love to work at the patent office. I'd totally be rejecting stuff all day long.

OTOH I know somebody who works in a patent office in Germany (Munich). They showed me around their new building/offices one day and it's unbelievable. All very plush and everything completely automated. Detectors to know if anybody is in the room to control the heating individually, automatic window blinds with sunlight detectors, etc. Must have cost a fortune to build and you don't get that sort of money from rejecting patents.

The Patent Office is a perfect example of something that should be paid for with taxpayer money. There's no way acceptance of patents should have a profit motive (and they should only employ curmudgeons).

Offline d-smes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3241 on: November 24, 2015, 02:18:36 pm »
The US Patent and Trademark building is also very nice.  While they are funded with taxpayer money, they are the only US government agency that takes in way more than they spend (the IRS doesn't count).  They actually turn a profit (it goes into the General Fund; they don't get to spend it).  I suspect that is true of other patent offices around the world.  While it is true one must pay an Issue Fee for a patent to become official, the real money is made with annuity payments required every several years (yearly in the EU, I believe) to keep the patent or trademark active and enforceable throughout its 20 year life.

Sorry I can't dispel the "profit motive" appearance.  But I will say it's not a slam dunk to get a patent.  The examiners are very good at finding published papers and prior art to reject ones claim.  It takes several back-and-forth office actions to explain and educate them how your invention works and is different.   In the end, only about 80% of my dozens of applications were granted patent status.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3242 on: November 25, 2015, 05:03:00 pm »
Sorry I can't dispel the "profit motive" appearance.  But I will say it's not a slam dunk to get a patent.  The examiners are very good at finding published papers and prior art to reject ones claim.  It takes several back-and-forth office actions to explain and educate them how your invention works and is different.   In the end, only about 80% of my dozens of applications were granted patent status.

Maybe for "prior art" but certainly not for "non-obviousness".

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #3243 on: November 25, 2015, 06:00:27 pm »
well this comes as no surprise!

interesting though they do reveal the prototype had a maximum 500mA output limit

Dear Indiegogo Supporters,

Our team has been hard at work completing final development of Batteriser and moving into initial production. At this time, we have encountered a slight delay relating to the manufacturing of the Batteriser's integrated circuit (IC).

Our earlier proof of concept prototype IC could efficiently deliver 500 milliamps of steady state current. However, as many applications need higher current driving capabilities, we modified our Integrated Circuit (IC) design to make it capable of the higher level of current driving capability. We expected our final IC to be ready and out of the fabrication facility (FAB) over a month ago. However, due to a drift in process parameters, the IC is still being worked on by our engineering team, in order to be ready for mass production. Fortunately, we have been working diligently with the FAB to address and fix the issues responsible for this delay, and we are anxiously waiting to receive our final IC in the coming weeks. We are committed to producing your Batterisers with the highest quality standards.

As you might recall, this is the last component necessary to start assembling and shipping Batterisers. At this time, we will need to delay our estimated ship date, but we are doing everything possible to ship Batterisers to you and your family as soon as possible, and hopefully before Christmas.

As part of our commitment to shipping to our supporters as early as possible, we have already made arrangements to have the first production batch shipped via air from our manufacturing partners in Asia, therefore significantly expediting the overall shipping process. Although we will incur significantly more costs by air shipping, it will be well worth the reward of making our Indiegogo supporters happy.

We sinerely apologize for the delay and for any inconvenience it may cause you. We couldn't be more thankful for your support, and hope to have Batterisers in your hands as soon as possible! Thank you and please enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Best Wishes,
Bob Roohparvar
CEO | Batteroo, Inc.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3244 on: November 25, 2015, 06:26:53 pm »

interesting though they do reveal the prototype had a maximum 500mA output limit

And they still don't specify the maximum current of the modified Integrated Circuit (IC).
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3245 on: November 25, 2015, 06:36:06 pm »
501mA maximum current, or 1.002A in marketing speak.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3247 on: November 25, 2015, 06:56:37 pm »

And they still don't specify the maximum current of the modified Integrated Circuit (IC).
They were bragging about 1.5A output.  ::)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #3248 on: November 25, 2015, 07:14:45 pm »

They were bragging about 1.5A output.  ::)

At some stage in the past they were boasting "as much as the battery could deliver"...  Which we all know is pure BS.
I just cannot find the original Bob Roohparvar post to be able to quote it here.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3249 on: November 25, 2015, 07:23:44 pm »
Drift in process parameters: FAB can't produce functioning ICs in sufficient numbers. Too many duds.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf