Poll

Is your country eligible?

Yes
271 (65.1%)
No
145 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 406

Voting closed: March 29, 2016, 12:24:45 am

Author Topic: Keysight Scope Giveaway  (Read 181887 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Keysight Scope Giveaway
« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2016, 08:51:29 pm »
I really wish I could get through the block against those of us who work for Government agencies.
How about just not telling them - how would they find out?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2016, 09:17:29 pm »

I am fully configured to win the 6000x

Vote for my video submission! C. Acosta

@Daniel - can I upload another video for the 6000x contest? Either as a separate entry or to replace the one already submitted?

Yes, feel free to upload another video.  I think we'll probably only allow one entry per person, so you can definitely upload a replacement and I'll give the proper people a heads up.

Offline shplatt

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: March 09, 2016, 09:52:53 pm »
Congrats on the win, I definitely got a little excited when Daniel announced that the winner was Jared....

Until he announced the last initial  |O.

But again, congrats on the win, and to anyone else who has won!  :-+

Thanks, broz (or should I say, Jared?)  Keep entering.  I wouldn't be surprised if a good percentage of their entries have come from EEVblog folks through Dave's video.  It would be interesting to see some statistics.

BTW, I've been corresponding with Keysight.  I agree with posts that Keysight is being very flexible.  Kudos to KS!  Since my last post, I had asked if they could include the app bundle if I picked a lesser scope - the total value is still much less than original $16k.  I just got the response that they will work in the app bundle should a winner chose a lesser scope.

Offline broz

• Regular Contributor
  • Pronounced like the "bros." in "Super Mario bros."
    • My Wordpress Page
« Reply #278 on: March 10, 2016, 01:40:18 am »
BTW, I've been corresponding with Keysight.  I agree with posts that Keysight is being very flexible.  Kudos to KS!  Since my last post, I had asked if they could include the app bundle if I picked a lesser scope - the total value is still much less than original $16k.  I just got the response that they will work in the app bundle should a winner chose a lesser scope.

Right on, I'm really glad it's not an all or nothing kind of contest. It definitely seems like they genuinely care, and want to build lifelong clients rather than just treat people like a number or stat.

Keep up the good work Keysight! You're definitely making me want to work there when I graduate next spring  :-+
Slowly but surely making my way through EE school

Offline AdamHi

• Contributor
« Reply #279 on: March 10, 2016, 11:46:07 am »
I really wish I could get through the block against those of us who work for Government agencies.
How about just not telling them - how would they find out?
I guess I'm just old fashioned and don't run that way (i could never be a politician).
With my full name and a quick google search, it'd be apparent anyhow.

Regardless, Daniel deserves our kudos for all he has done. Keysight, too, for being generous and responsive.

--adam

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2016, 02:22:35 am »
Hey @Keysight_DanielBogdanoff  Things are looking much slicker now, am now even getting the emails with the promotional tidbits.

Most of the links seem to work (Except one of the YouTube "Scope Month Winners" channel, which still goes "not found"). And it has now been made very clear that the more days you enter, the better you chances. And the whole tax / duty thing seems to have come out in the wash.

Only 20 more days or so to go...
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2016, 07:02:22 pm »
Hey @Keysight_DanielBogdanoff  Things are looking much slicker now, am now even getting the emails with the promotional tidbits.

Most of the links seem to work (Except one of the YouTube "Scope Month Winners" channel, which still goes "not found"). And it has now been made very clear that the more days you enter, the better you chances. And the whole tax / duty thing seems to have come out in the wash.

Thanks! There's a playlist on our YouTube channel with the daily winners: http://bit.ly/Scope_winners

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2016, 09:37:11 pm »

Thanks! There's a playlist on our YouTube channel with the daily winners: http://bit.ly/Scope_winners
But the "view list of winners link there is broken"
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline fpliuzzi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2016, 10:28:17 pm »

I clicked on the word 'more' to the right of the "view list of winners link" and then the link worked fine when I clicked on it.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #284 on: March 12, 2016, 05:12:26 am »
I'm in Taiwan and I get led to a asia user only page. Since I entered all my details in mandarin I wonder how Daniel is going to pronounce the names if anyone from asia wins.

Also the https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=TW&lc=cht&ckey=2677413&nid=-32546.0.00&id=2677413 doesn't try to block repeat entries only minutes apart. Makes one wonder if it works at all.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #285 on: March 12, 2016, 05:03:06 pm »
I'm in Taiwan and I get led to a asia user only page. Since I entered all my details in mandarin I wonder how Daniel is going to pronounce the names if anyone from asia wins.

Also the https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=TW&lc=cht&ckey=2677413&nid=-32546.0.00&id=2677413 doesn't try to block repeat entries only minutes apart. Makes one wonder if it works at all.

I have multi-lingual backup in the room with me!

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #286 on: March 12, 2016, 05:04:55 pm »

I see now, I'll get it fixed.

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2016, 04:53:34 pm »
Hi All

There has been questions what is the situation with EU winners so I needed to register (I promise to stay here!).

So, I am one winner as well and located in the UK. Keysight has been very helpful with the situation and it seems they are really trying to figure out the best way to solve the tax issues. The case is that even though they will be using a local distributor, I may need to pay the VAT. It is still under investigation. I can believe it is not simple as regulations differ between countries. As far as I know you do not need to pay taxes on prizes in the UK in general, so I hope that would be the result of this.

I don't know yet what to do if the VAT is on me. It clearly depends on what kind of value they will use for the scope. Nevertheless, I am afraid I cannot afford the 1 GHz model even if cost price was used.

I am very happy with my prize but yes, it seems it will not be free. And unfortunately us hobbyists reflect the price to other products that would be adequate for us, such as Rigol. For this price I could get all the equipment I need for my DIY audio projects, and I could maybe even pay £3000 taxes for the whole bench but unfortunately it is too much for an oscilloscope.

But I cannot complain about getting an excellent oscilloscope, even if it will be 100 MHz instead of 1 GHz!
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2016, 06:03:33 pm »
Hi nihtila,

If you can't get the VAT issue sorted out I am sure there will be people here willing to get you a reasonable Rigol scope and pay the VAT.
I would like to be first on your list for consideration.

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2016, 07:42:14 pm »
Hi All

There has been questions what is the situation with EU winners so I needed to register (I promise to stay here!).

So, I am one winner as well and located in the UK. Keysight has been very helpful with the situation and it seems they are really trying to figure out the best way to solve the tax issues. The case is that even though they will be using a local distributor, I may need to pay the VAT. It is still under investigation. I can believe it is not simple as regulations differ between countries. As far as I know you do not need to pay taxes on prizes in the UK in general, so I hope that would be the result of this.

I don't know yet what to do if the VAT is on me. It clearly depends on what kind of value they will use for the scope. Nevertheless, I am afraid I cannot afford the 1 GHz model even if cost price was used.

I am very happy with my prize but yes, it seems it will not be free. And unfortunately us hobbyists reflect the price to other products that would be adequate for us, such as Rigol. For this price I could get all the equipment I need for my DIY audio projects, and I could maybe even pay £3000 taxes for the whole bench but unfortunately it is too much for an oscilloscope.

But I cannot complain about getting an excellent oscilloscope, even if it will be 100 MHz instead of 1 GHz!

You don't have to pay tax on prizes!   If Keysight imported the scope into the UK they would have to pay VAT on whatever arbitrary value they set on the scope internally (within limits of what the VATman believes) and you would have nil to pay.   But if Keysight supplies the scope in California to a distributor then the distributor has to pay VAT when he imports it and will want someone to pay him back.  If it isn't Keysight it will have to be you!   There is no VAT on the transaction where he gives you the scope free, it is on import that the  tax (and possibly duty) will be paid.

Edit:  This is totally different from the situation in the USA where the winner has to pay his own tax on the value of the prize.   The tax in the UK arises simply from importing the scope   If Keysight paid the import taxes along with the shipping then you would have nothing to pay.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:49:45 pm by rch »

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #290 on: March 14, 2016, 08:01:05 pm »
I'm not expert on tax and I'm not sure I've got the right document but from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70129-betting-gaming-and-lotteries/vat-notice-70129-betting-gaming-and-lotteries
•prizes of goods in free lotteries and in sports competitions should be treated as business gifts and VAT is only due if the tax exclusive cost of the prize is over £50. Input tax will then be deductible in the normal manner.

So if supplied from Keysight UK they will have to account for the VAT on the prize. I guess it is up to them if they will pay the VAT out of their own pocket.

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2016, 08:41:22 pm »
I'm not expert on tax and I'm not sure I've got the right document but from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70129-betting-gaming-and-lotteries/vat-notice-70129-betting-gaming-and-lotteries
•prizes of goods in free lotteries and in sports competitions should be treated as business gifts and VAT is only due if the tax exclusive cost of the prize is over £50. Input tax will then be deductible in the normal manner.

So if supplied from Keysight UK they will have to account for the VAT on the prize. I guess it is up to them if they will pay the VAT out of their own pocket.

That's true.  But if they have just paid VAT to import it then surely they can offset the input tax they have paid against the VAT on supply to the prize winner.  So they only have to pay the VAT once.  Assuming that they did not attempt to import it at less than it's fair value, which will be the value it retains when they give it as a prize.   Edit:   if they didn't have to account for VAT on business gifts it would mean they could still reclaim the input VAT, and the VATman would be subsidising their business gifts!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:45:25 pm by rch »

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2016, 09:13:02 pm »
Yes, you are right, the VAT is not for the prize as in the US - as it would be my income. But yes, they probably have or will have to pay VAT when they import/have imported the scopes into the UK, and I guess now it is the case that do I need to pay that or not. I can only wait for their response if I need to pay it, and for what value it would be.

If the VATman comes behind my door, I probably need to look at the models in 200-300 MHz range as the price drops significantly. I don't think they can set the value to be something ridiculously small. But what is the value then? For example the selling prices for companies are quite different from list prices. We have those 500M models at work so I know what is a proper price for that (=still too much if I need to pay 20%).

Of course paying the VAT, selling the scope, and buying a lower bandwidth model (plus even an audio analyzer I could use) could be an option, but not only it can be difficult to sell for "a good price", it kinda feels wrong...

First world problems :P
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline PeterEE

• Contributor
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2016, 10:01:29 pm »
I finally sent an email to Keysight declining the prize. Even the cheapest scope they offer would require me to pay over $1000 USD in taxes. Not something I can stomach for a hobby. That means you people who are still trying to win have a better chance now.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2016, 10:10:00 pm »
Yes, you are right, the VAT is not for the prize as in the US - as it would be my income. But yes, they probably have or will have to pay VAT when they import/have imported the scopes into the UK, and I guess now it is the case that do I need to pay that or not. I can only wait for their response if I need to pay it, and for what value it would be.

If the VATman comes behind my door, I probably need to look at the models in 200-300 MHz range as the price drops significantly. I don't think they can set the value to be something ridiculously small. But what is the value then? For example the selling prices for companies are quite different from list prices. We have those 500M models at work so I know what is a proper price for that (=still too much if I need to pay 20%).

Of course paying the VAT, selling the scope, and buying a lower bandwidth model (plus even an audio analyzer I could use) could be an option, but not only it can be difficult to sell for "a good price", it kinda feels wrong...

First world problems :P
Private individual cannot be charged with VAT. It is just illegal for the company to give it away to individual and leave the VAT on him.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2016, 11:15:39 pm »
I finally sent an email to Keysight declining the prize. Even the cheapest scope they offer would require me to pay over $1000 USD in taxes. Not something I can stomach for a hobby. That means you people who are still trying to win have a better chance now.

Hats off.....sorry you could not benefit. I appreciate the additional chance being put back into the contest. Like I said earlier - winning one of these will be a significant boost for my small biz that really needs a boost from anywhere I can get it.  :clap:
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2016, 11:57:04 pm »
I still don't understand it...

Keysight has an official sales office in Germany, somewhere near Stuttgart. They have official Distributors in Germany, for example DataTec. So why on earth should a German winner have to pay a single cent to receive his prize? Winning a prize in a lottery is tax free here. There are no customs duties to be paid if the prize is delivered from a German distributor to a German citizen. And there is no VAT to be paid. All prices on goods, targeted at private individuals, have to be given including the VAT. The winners scope is free, it has no price. So 19% VAT from zero (the price the winner has to pay for the scope) ist zero, niente, null. Keysight simply can't charge VAT from the winner (private individual) for a free scope. At least that's my understanding  :-//   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:11:21 am by continuo »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #297 on: March 15, 2016, 12:53:04 am »
I finally sent an email to Keysight declining the prize.

Sorry to hear it couldn't work out. Hopefully, you got some pleasure from having won, even if for only a little while.

That means you people who are still trying to win have a better chance now.

Hmm, does that mean Keysight will extend the event beyond the end of the month? Maybe they'll give away the declined ones on the last day.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #298 on: March 15, 2016, 12:54:28 am »
Hmm, does that mean Keysight will extend the event beyond the end of the month? Maybe they'll give away the declined ones on the last day.

On one of the earlier drawings - they drew an extra to account for a declined prize.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #299 on: March 15, 2016, 02:39:23 pm »
I see. So they do extra draws as the need arises. Cool.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf