Author Topic: EEVblog #411 - MiniPro TL866 Universal Programmer Review  (Read 1461817 times)

Offline Fluffhamster

Re: EEVblog #411 - MiniPro TL866 Universal Programmer Review
« Reply #2025 on: May 06, 2023, 10:00:38 pm »
Hi
I have a borrowed TL866 II plus programmer with ICSP output and cable.

I have Microsoft Surface Book 2 open and the ability to dump a complete BIOS from the Winbond 25Q128JV (wson8) chip that is on the motherboard.
I want to take the opportunity to rip the bios from the chip without desoldering. I'm an amateur so I'm asking for safety's sake how to do it.

I could easily and temporarily solder 8 wires to its legs and connect it to the TL866 II plus.
The question is whether to read using the ZIF socket or cables on the port on the side of the programmer (ICSP).
How to do it safely for the system and for the board, what to watch out for.

please treat me like an amateur

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2026 on: May 10, 2023, 10:30:07 am »
you dont need 8 wires, its an spi  interface,  you need to find the correct connection ... its listed in the devices as 25Q128

Offline sahraoui123

« Reply #2027 on: May 16, 2023, 06:19:13 pm »
hi
please conversion tl866A to tl866 II plus it's possible ! :) :) :)
thanks

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2028 on: May 16, 2023, 06:34:27 pm »
hi
please conversion tl866A to tl866 II plus it's possible ! :) :) :)
thanks

There are hardware differences between the two models -- different ranges of programming voltages, and maybe further changes. (More address lines for support of larger flash memory in the II plus?) I am not aware of any documented way to upgrade an A/CS model to a II plus.

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2029 on: June 27, 2023, 07:04:05 pm »
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes:

I have a TL866II Plus that I bought off eBay and set aside for future use. When I got it out to use it I installed the software and the USB drivers. It appears that the USB drivers installed correctly but the software does not see the programmer. It's almost like the Flash is corrupt or something. I just received a new XGecu T48 programmer that runs the same software and when I plug it in it works fine but the same software asks for the programmer type and when I select the TL-866II Plus it loads the software in demo mode.

So does anyone know how to force flash the firmware in the TL866II Plus or do I have a brick. Does XGecu have a repair/exchange depot or am I just wishful thinking?

Sam
W3OHM
W3OHM

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2030 on: July 07, 2023, 06:04:12 am »
Sam you could always try to contact the manufacturer directly especially if it's in warranty. Unfortunately the autoelectric and xgecu websites aren't working for me at the moment.

This is one of the problems with buying chinese gadgets, getting direct support can be awkward. But I'd suggest if you are wanting to try troubleshooting it yourself start by confirming you haven't brought a counterfeit or mislabeled TL866A/C.

Then disassemble it and give it a clean with pure isopropyl alcohol, an extra soft bristled toothbrush is idle to very gently loosen up and remove any pcb contaminants both sides. Then I would rinse it again in alcohol and let it dry thoroughly before testing again before proceeding with board power and microcontroller diagnostics to confirm it's actually trying to boot.

I flash recovered my TL866 with Radioman's firmware updater. I'm not sure the process for the TL866II+ though. You may wish to start a thread in the repair section if you need detailed assistance with troubleshooting it at board level and also taking photos of the PCB etc.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline kerouanton

• Regular Contributor
  • Just curious about science, radio etc.
    • Sometimes I play with radio
« Reply #2031 on: July 13, 2023, 06:02:35 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've got a genuine TL866II Plus for several years, and am quite happy with it. However I noticed that Xgecu has released the T48 recently (and the high-end T56 previously). I'm wondering if anyone has tried the T48 and noticed any significant difference compared to the TL866II Plus, apart from supporting additional chips. For my perspective I don't feel like upgrading since my actual version does what I need. However, I have 2 questions for those who are familiar with those programmers!

When reading the T56 user manual, I saw that it is able to perform operations related to HDMI and VGA, using a specific adapter. As the EDID is just an eeprom directly connected to the video output I don't see the point of having a T56 to read/program this eeprom, the TL866 can indeed read and program this eeprom (I tried recently). Am I right?

My second question is about the ability for the T56 (and perhaps T48) to handle FPGAs via JTAG or SCPI. I read the specs of the T56 and it seems that it's fully reconfigurable and each pin is totally independant.

For now, I use a cheap USB Blaster dongle to program Altera FPGAs, which seems to be a basic JTAG device.
Since the XGecu programmers are already able to use SCPI to program devices, would it theorically possible for a T56 to send JTAG signal instead for selected ICs? Same question for Xilinx, I just went to the Xilinx site to check, their FPGA programmer uses JTAG and/or SCPI to communicate so I guess it should only be a software upgrade from XGecu? Am I missing something?
https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/hw-usb-ii-g.html

This would be great and probably would convince me to upgrade to the T56, to keep the number of hardware in my lab to the minimum...

Offline pedrozc

« Reply #2032 on: August 31, 2023, 01:15:50 pm »
Hello everyone.  I want to thank you for all the information I learned on this forum, especially the radioman for his work.  I successfully managed to convert my Tl866 to version A. I'm a beginner so please excuse my stupid questions and my English. I want to ask if it is possible to make a full software backup of my tl866 using Pickit3.  I tried to read the firmware, pickit wrote "code protect".  read through .so i saved it.  I just don't know if this backup is usable or if I need to disable some protection in the Pickit3 settings.  well thank you

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2033 on: August 31, 2023, 03:29:17 pm »
As best as I recall, Radioman mentioned in his documentation how to do a full flash manually. You need a copy of the original manufacturer software which includes the firmware and Radiomans flash tool. Essentially from there you can make your own device just like the clone makers have or recover it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 03:33:44 pm by Shock »

Offline pedrozc

« Reply #2034 on: September 01, 2023, 01:03:46 pm »
thank you for your reply.  i will try to do it this way.  I know that a backup could be created during the process of converting the device, which I did not do.  I need to find out if only a backup can be created, or if I have to go through the whole process.  I would not like to risk damaging the programmer.  thank you again

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2035 on: September 01, 2023, 02:58:48 pm »
Without your device connected try generating a .hex file. I don't think there is any useful information aside from the device code and serial you need to save, and even that can be auto generated if you prefer.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 03:33:48 pm by Shock »

Offline pedrozc

« Reply #2036 on: September 01, 2023, 05:36:38 pm »
I tried to generate a hex file without connecting the device to usb.  Everything OK.  I wanted to have a backup that I can use with the Pickit programmer in case of a major failure of the programmer.. thank you very much

Offline Southerner

• Regular Contributor
MiniPro TL866 PIC programming error
« Reply #2037 on: November 26, 2023, 07:50:37 am »
Can someone help me with MiniPro (6.85 I think) on my TL866CS converted to TL866A?  I recently tried to program a Pic16F628A from a provided hex file (for a Pic timer project and also for firmware for a K150 programmer) and both said they programmed correctly but neither works.  On the one for the Pic timer I thought it might be because the PIC needed to have at least one fuse set (external clock) and I did not see an option in MiniPro to set the fuses.  If it was not because of missing or wrong fuse settings then I am concerned!  That would mean it is not working at all and yet it said it worked and programmed the target chips with no errors.

Thank you.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2038 on: November 26, 2023, 08:41:43 am »
There's a dedicated tab for the fuse settings, please see the attached screenshot.

Don't fall into my favorite trap in the Minipro software: Checking one of the fuse options will set that fuse bit to zero! Which makes sense, historically, since "burning the fuse" will produce a zero bit, but has confused me more than once.

EDIT: I just realize that the UI has changed. In the older MiniPro 6.85, the "Config" switch is in the upper right of the screen, below the large "Information" button.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 09:34:51 am by ebastler »

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2039 on: December 04, 2023, 06:17:09 am »
Does anybody know if the TL866 can read/program the CY7C263 eprom?

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2040 on: December 11, 2023, 11:20:24 am »
This may be helpful for your CY7C263: BPROM Read Adapter

The following users thanked this post: johnh

Offline Southerner

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEVblog #411 - MiniPro TL866 PROM reader/programmer
« Reply #2041 on: December 14, 2023, 06:34:49 am »
 tsmith35 posted a link of https://team-europe.blogspot.com/2022/06/bprom-read-adapter-v02-21in1.html for a PROM reader.  I have wanted to be able to read and program proms to finish up some very old projects.  TeamEurope says that 32 byte proms like the 82S123 can be read and he appears to be using the newer TL866 ii + to read the proms.  He said to read them using the 2716 definition but that the file had to be edited to make sure the file was the right size for the prom being read.

Since he uses the 2716 eprom definition I am curious if that would also work for programming a blank prom?  Does anyone know if the TL866A will program a prom?
Thank you

Offline SergMM

« Reply #2042 on: December 22, 2023, 09:31:12 pm »
Hello! Good news good everyone! Now Android version soft for TL866A and TL866CS is free! Full IC list is free.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wizardprog.expert

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #2043 on: December 23, 2023, 08:38:33 pm »
Hello! Good news good everyone! Now Android version soft for TL866A and TL866CS is free! Full IC list is free.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wizardprog.expert
Thank you Sergey! will  this work on the logic chips now?
Happy Christmas!

Offline AMR Labs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2045 on: February 10, 2024, 05:57:12 pm »
Where could I possibly download or check a list of the devices supported by this TL866 programmer? I am specifically looking to read a Sharp LH5268A RAM 64K (8K x 8) that is mounted on a battery that looks like a thick socket and makes the chip appear taller. I can measure 3V between Vcc and GND. Just mentioning this so its clear that the contents of the chip are still supposed to be there even tough the whole thing is unplugged from the board where it resides.

I tried to read this chip with my GQ-4X4 but its not on the list. There is a very similar ram chip the HM6264B that is included in the list, and that seems to be very similar if not identical, but the 4X4 will not read the chip. Just FF's.

Any hints appreciated. Thanks.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2046 on: February 10, 2024, 06:05:16 pm »
Where could I possibly download or check a list of the devices supported by this TL866 programmer?

http://www.xgecu.com/EN/Download.html

Site is a bit slow, but the official manufacturer's site. Switch the language to English in the upper right.

The following users thanked this post: AMR Labs

Offline Southerner

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEVblog #411 - MiniPro TL866 program error
« Reply #2047 on: February 12, 2024, 02:06:08 am »
I am getting an error every time I try to program a PIC16F628A

Error! Config 0x000001 Buf_val 0x21 IC_val 0x3F. 

They will erase but will not program and this was with multiple new chips.

Minipro version is 6.85 in Windows 7.

Thank you.

Offline Southerner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2048 on: February 12, 2024, 10:35:24 pm »
My TL866A  SAID it programmed my 16F628A PIC successfully from the hex file when I unchecked the config box but just like last time the PIC did not work in the circuit it was made for.  Same thing when I programmed one with the KitsRUs K150 firmware.  It would not program until I unchecked config but it did not work in the device.  I am told that I can not even program the config fuses for the PIC except within the hex file itself.  What am I doing wrong?  The TL866 appears to do what it is supposed to but it always fails to program the chip correctly so it works afterwards.

Thank you

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2049 on: February 13, 2024, 01:27:49 am »
I have not looked at the 16F28A datasheet, hence am not sure whether the following applies to it. But for many other parts, the TL866 programmer offers a trap in the way it describes the fuse bits: If you set the checkbox for a bit, that means that the fuse will be "burned", i.e. the bit value set to zero. Which is rather counter-intuitive.

Could that be the cause of your present problem too? Maybe the config fuse settings you chose are "impossible" due to that inverted interpretation?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf