Author Topic: Neoden 4 pick and place  (Read 600152 times)

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Re: Neoden 4 pick and place
« Reply #550 on: March 05, 2016, 08:40:44 am »
Does anyone in our group have a candidate to take on the design brief, and implementation, (most likely different people) of those things mentioned so far - machine vision, PCB extended feed, and conveyor system? With a view to integration with OpenPnP, and then porting the interface across to Neoden4?

I reviewed the openPNP interface and I think it's not a real improvement to use for the NEODEN 4!
A lot of functions need to be rebuild to drive the neoden hardware.

First the OpenPNP software UI and functions need to be improved.
Then we should do the interfaces to different machines.

Im not sure how much we can read into this comment. One vendor picking holes in another one, really annoys me.     an frankly for everyone else, at least they can see the UI for this sytem, unlike the much promised by not delivered videos of his system
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:50:15 am by mrpackethead »
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #551 on: March 05, 2016, 09:28:15 am »
Does anyone in our group have a candidate to take on the design brief, and implementation, (most likely different people) of those things mentioned so far - machine vision, PCB extended feed, and conveyor system? With a view to integration with OpenPnP, and then porting the interface across to Neoden4?

I reviewed the openPNP interface and I think it's not a real improvement to use for the NEODEN 4!
A lot of functions need to be rebuild to drive the neoden hardware.

But the huge difference is that unlike the Neoden4 software,  it is under continuous development, and you can improve it yourself.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline thommo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #552 on: March 05, 2016, 11:49:30 am »
Yes Mike & MrPackethead,

I think you both make good points.
SmallSMT will possibly have a bias (understandably), but the machine that they have is well built. If it had a conveyor drive, and a cartridge tape load for components, it would be a real contender. Particularly their latest 4 head design with nozzle changer options.

On the other hand people say good things about the SmallSMT software.

Whatever we do - new SW, or OpenPnP, there is going to be a substantial body of work to integrate and interface, and port all the drivers, and of course the machine vision, etc.

My preference would be to try to adopt the OpenPnP base, and pay for a commercial solution to develop those 'missing features' which the Neoden4 HW currently provides, and then closely observe the rate of change in the NeoDen and other HW platforms.

If Neoden don't want to work alongside and update us re HW mods and variations, then of course it opens an opportunity to look at building a HW element. Oddly, the fundemental elements are probably the simplist part of the whole deal - Cartesian plotter with 3 axis + rotation of the heads. The component feeders are the most custom parts, and I believe there are changes coming on that front too.

I think it's time to speak with NeoDen and explore if there is an opportunity to develop this in conjunction with them. I'll make the call and start things off unless anyone's got an issue.

Best if we can work with as much existing infrastructure as possible I believe. I want to concentrate on what we are best at, and have limited resources to allocate to the peripherals. I need a simple commercial solution that works, and preferably one which  is 'open' so we can customise where and if needed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:52:25 am by thommo »

Offline Smallsmt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #553 on: March 05, 2016, 12:08:03 pm »
It is always the same people want to not contribute to the solution of a problem and are looking for only the criticism points.

I really want a common usable pick and place software using HAL layers to support different machine types.
I am engineer and know how much time you need to spend to build a good solution.

OpenPNP is far away from a good solution it's maybe a starting point.

We developed some Linux based vision systems before and I know it need a lot of work to debug and support over years because you need to handle too many influences caused by software versions and hardware.
So multi platform support is an option but totally useless!

Another big problem is you need a good project team and time to develop a neat solution so I want to support this work!

And it's not a problem for me to support the NEODEN4 or any other hardware!

I was in the same situation some years before. You bought a machine and received some problems and hope the manufacturer solve it in a short time.
But first the communication is not easy then you feel nothing happens.
I am sure NEODEN will solve the problems soon but they never change the software interface completely.

Did anyone talk to them if it is possible to receive the controller command set and communication protocol?

At this point it will be possible to build a driver to support the machine and I hope they support this work.
It's not a big problem for them because they sell the hardware and don't loose customers.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 12:18:33 pm by Smallsmt »

Offline ServoKit

• Regular Contributor
    • ServoKit
« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2016, 02:10:31 pm »
Created a new thread about the TVM802A/B here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/pick-and-place-machine-tvm802a-tvm802b/

Regards, Axel

Offline sam512bb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2016, 04:06:22 pm »
Good day All,

Just thinking out of the box...Given that there is an interest in developing better software for the N4, what if someone approached the fellow who designed and developed his own PnP called VisionBot (http://visionbot.net/) and perhaps convince him ($) to port his software to support the N4?  This might be a viable approach if his software is solid, etc... and it does look fairly mature.

Cheers,

Sam

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #556 on: March 05, 2016, 05:15:05 pm »
Good day All,

Just thinking out of the box...Given that there is an interest in developing better software for the N4, what if someone approached the fellow who designed and developed his own PnP called VisionBot (http://visionbot.net/) and perhaps convince him ($) to port his software to support the N4?  This might be a viable approach if his software is solid, etc... and it does look fairly mature.

Cheers,

Sam

Hi

Inevitably there is a certain amount of "secret sauce" in the firmware inside a pick and place. For better or worse, there is no standard interface language to talk to these beasts. You need a bunch of information from the hardware / firmware guys first. You then need to check that over (validate it). Often there are things in the information that simply don't work quite as described. (quick note --- I don't know anything about the Neoden firmware. I do indeed do this for a living). Once you have that, the guy on the other end needs to have a chance at looking it over. Without seeing the way they did there "stuff", he has absolutely no way to know how hard the process will be.

At this point he can give  you a quote on what it's likely to take to do a port. He comes up with an estimate (say a year's work) and you hand him the first installment payment. He now needs a Neoden 4 and some parts to thump on as he does his thing. He also needs a line to the guys at Neoden. The "hey Bob, this thing you wrote doesn't work the way you say it does" conversation will take place a *lot* of times (like a few times a day) for the first few months. Since this is a retrofit, you will be fixing firmware bugs in the driver code rather than having the firmware guys do the fix.

So now you hand him his final check and he gives you a piece of code. Just like all the other stuff, it's about 90% there. (It's always only going to be 90% of the way). Out it goes to the field and in come the bug reports / upgrade requests / feature mods / support questions. Taking care of all of that *is* a full time job for somebody. In fact it's probably a full time job several guys. He politely requests *more* money to do that for a year than the original software cost to port.

Net result, you now have a company. It has running costs and a workforce. It pays taxes and has a web site. It needs a regular income to keep all of that going. Hmmm.....

Bob

Offline sam512bb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #557 on: March 05, 2016, 07:28:31 pm »
Good day All,

Cheers,

Sam

Hi

Inevitably there is a certain amount of "secret sauce" in the firmware inside a pick and place. For better or worse, there is no standard interface language to talk to these beasts. You need a bunch of information from the hardware / firmware guys first. You then need to check that over (validate it). Often there are things in the information that simply don't work quite as described. (quick note --- I don't know anything about the Neoden firmware. I do indeed do this for a living). Once you have that, the guy on the other end needs to have a chance at looking it over. Without seeing the way they did there "stuff", he has absolutely no way to know how hard the process will be.

At this point he can give  you a quote on what it's likely to take to do a port. He comes up with an estimate (say a year's work) and you hand him the first installment payment. He now needs a Neoden 4 and some parts to thump on as he does his thing. He also needs a line to the guys at Neoden. The "hey Bob, this thing you wrote doesn't work the way you say it does" conversation will take place a *lot* of times (like a few times a day) for the first few months. Since this is a retrofit, you will be fixing firmware bugs in the driver code rather than having the firmware guys do the fix.

So now you hand him his final check and he gives you a piece of code. Just like all the other stuff, it's about 90% there. (It's always only going to be 90% of the way). Out it goes to the field and in come the bug reports / upgrade requests / feature mods / support questions. Taking care of all of that *is* a full time job for somebody. In fact it's probably a full time job several guys. He politely requests *more* money to do that for a year than the original software cost to port.

Net result, you now have a company. It has running costs and a workforce. It pays taxes and has a web site. It needs a regular income to keep all of that going. Hmmm.....

Bob

Good day Bob,

You are quite right... I was just suggesting another option.  That being said what are your thoughts and/or direction options? 

Cheers,

Sam

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #558 on: March 05, 2016, 08:00:30 pm »
Smells like a kickstarter, with the guy/company in the end disappearing with your Neoden and the backers money.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #559 on: March 05, 2016, 08:06:45 pm »
Good day All,

Cheers,

Sam

Hi

Bob

Good day Bob,

You are quite right... I was just suggesting another option.  That being said what are your thoughts and/or direction options? 

Cheers,

Sam

Hi

I think one *practical* way to do something like this is to have an open interface standard. Something the "hardware guy" can build to and verify against. Multiple outfits all use the same this or that command to do the same thing. You have a descriptor table somewhere in eeprom or flash that gives all the details of what is what. This is basically the way things like USB and Bluetooth work. The guys on the "other side" can then go write code that works against the standard.

Using USB as an example, you quickly find that it is rare to have a driver for this or that device come out without it being done by the people who made the target gizmo. Indeed third party drivers *do* exist and that validates the whole scheme. If you dig a bit deeper into USB, you find that the mothership (usb.org) charges various fees and issues licenses for this and that. Setting up an organization to administer something like this for pick and place .... not likely to happen.

That gets you back to a three way deal. Some sort of user group funds a process. There are contracts with various people. Doing some math:

Developer guy gets $120K a year and takes a year, gets same per year after that
Equipment and software for compatibility testing runs $20K to $60K a year
Two support guys get $60K a year after the first year.
Somebody manages all this and gets $120K a year.

You have about $200K in the first year and about $400K a year after that. Before you go off on the numbers, try setting up and paying all the taxes, utilities, mandatory benefits and the like on a group of people.

So to fund that, how many people own one and are ready to pay a yearly support fee?

If it's 1,000 people ... you each owe $400 a year. If it's 100 people, you each owe $4,000 a year. Consider that this is support contracts and not machines. You inevitably will have people with multiple machines who will not expect to pay on a per machine basis. Your support costs do not go up by 8 when Bob has 8 machines, so that is a reasonable assumption.

So what happens? You start with the assumption that you will get 1,000 people. You charge $400. You get 121 people ... end of project.

How was it done initially? They paid the guy his fee for initial code. The machine he worked with was a prototype they already had. The 120K gets spread out over a run of a couple machines a working day for the first year.  It's an incidental expense spread out over 500 to a thousand machines.

We don't see it from "our end" of the pipe, but the price of these machines goes down on a monthly basis. The one here / two there sales are not what keep a company afloat. It's the guy who wants 10 or a hundred machines that really sets the market. He may not be an end user, he could be a dealer. It's a good bet that whoever it is, the price just keeps going down. That's why the software gets done up front and there isn't any money later on.

This is why decoupling software support contracts from machine sales is a really good idea. You buy your machine for price X and it comes with support for a year. Past that, you pay a fee (and have some level of expectation about support). Inevitably your expectation is a bit higher than what gets delivered but you pay the "ownership tax" to keep things going. Essentially what the costs at the top of this are looking at is the real sort of fees and costs associated with even a "bare bones" approach to that. 

Bob

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #560 on: March 05, 2016, 08:30:06 pm »
I think one *practical* way to do something like this is to have an open interface standard. Something the "hardware guy" can build to and verify against. Multiple outfits all use the same this or that command to do the same thing. You have a descriptor table somewhere in eeprom or flash that gives all the details of what is what. This is basically the way things like USB and Bluetooth work. The guys on the "other side" can then go write code that works against the standard.

Just like Gcode is very universal across multiple CNC plaforms,   E1.31 is universal for Lighting.. SMTP is universal for email..  It can be done, and ultimately open standards win.     Where various vendors win/loose is their implementation of those standards into products.

Setting up an organization to administer something like this for pick and place .... not likely to happen.

Its likely that you dont' even need to find such an organisation.. Just find a standard that is a very near fit already.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:57:50 pm by mrpackethead »

Offline thommo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #561 on: March 05, 2016, 08:32:20 pm »
Hi SmallSMT,

Can I please suggest that you consider doing something positive for your company and post a step-by-step instruction set for the operation of your machine/interface? Check out the link to the latest blog which Servokit has posted (above).

This way the critiscism will stop and things will become productive instead, and there'll be no (or less) need for defensive comments.

I believe your product is really good. I personally have a preference for NeoDen at present because I prefer their feeder system, it has 4 heads, and a conveyor transport system.

The market is very clearly telling you that these are features that a certain level of user is looking for.

If your machine had these too, I believe you'd be selling machines to them, and me.

You are totally correct in relation to the difficulty and amount of work involved in developing a 3rd party system, either by integrating OpenPnP, or starting with another machine's base. Are you suggesting that SmallSMT would consider porting its code to the Neoden4 platform? If so, you should make this clearer and explain how you suggest the process may look and a timeline.

Everyone on the forum is clearly looking for a solution.

It is always the same people want to not contribute to the solution of a problem and are looking for only the criticism points.

I really want a common usable pick and place software using HAL layers to support different machine types.
I am engineer and know how much time you need to spend to build a good solution.

OpenPNP is far away from a good solution it's maybe a starting point.

We developed some Linux based vision systems before and I know it need a lot of work to debug and support over years because you need to handle too many influences caused by software versions and hardware.
So multi platform support is an option but totally useless!

Another big problem is you need a good project team and time to develop a neat solution so I want to support this work!

And it's not a problem for me to support the NEODEN4 or any other hardware!

I was in the same situation some years before. You bought a machine and received some problems and hope the manufacturer solve it in a short time.
But first the communication is not easy then you feel nothing happens.
I am sure NEODEN will solve the problems soon but they never change the software interface completely.

Did anyone talk to them if it is possible to receive the controller command set and communication protocol?

At this point it will be possible to build a driver to support the machine and I hope they support this work.
It's not a big problem for them because they sell the hardware and don't loose customers.

Offline Ichan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2016, 05:54:30 pm »
I got information that my machine had landed in here today :), next is custom clearance process - a very non deterministic time process :(.

I hope i can get it at the end of this week. In the meantime i make a simple plan calculation.

The first picture is part placement plan, 296 parts without vision, 56 parts with vision, and 20 parts manually placed - for each panel.

Neoden claims placement rate 10000 CPH without vision and 5000 CPH with vision, i take half of it as on the second picture.

I will be very happy if this plan can be realized...

-ichan

Offline thommo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #563 on: March 07, 2016, 07:46:17 pm »
Ichan
I'm curious about what other equipment you have, or intend to use, in your production line, in order to maintain your projected throughput.

For example, what paste machine and reflow equipment will you be using.

Could be another trip back to the camera once again for you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:48:16 pm by thommo »

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2016, 07:55:04 pm »
Ichan
I'm curious about what other equipment you have, or intend to use, in your production line, in order to maintain your projected throughput.

Getting paste onto pcbs incorreclty is the root of 90% of failures in my experience.  Don't under estimate this step.

Offline thommo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #565 on: March 07, 2016, 08:05:40 pm »
What does your short-run production line look like MrP?

What stencil paste system are you using, and reflow oven at present?

Ichan

Getting paste onto pcbs incorreclty is the root of 90% of failures in my experience.  Don't under estimate this step.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #566 on: March 07, 2016, 08:25:36 pm »
What does your short-run production line look like MrP?

In the workshop where we do the small run stuff... ( this is only relaly prototypes and stuff that is 20-100 pces tops )..

I use frameless stencils mounted into a Quick Frame.  ( http://www.quickstencil.com/proframe1217.aspx ).  This works really well for me, its easy to store stencils as they are flat.  I bought a reletively low cost stencil printer in china..    Its like this one ( http://www.aliexpress.com/store/914873?spm=2114.10010108.0.149.nQyUfu ).  Though i bought it at the SEG, and brought it back with me as checked baggage.        I get stencils from sitopway to match the quickstencil for about $60. 

I want to make a smaller "quick frame" type setup, so i can use smaller stencils. Just a matter of time to do that though.

I have one of those crappy IR ovens, its been relegated to the bottom shelf and collecting dust.    My $90 Kambrook oven and the old sparkfun controller kit, has worked really well for me.. 

It takes time and pratice to get manual pasting nailed.  And good paste at the right temp, that is well mixed.     You can place parts with all the precision in the world,  but if the paste is bad. Your screwed.

>What stencil paste system are you using, and reflow oven at present?

Offline Ichan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #567 on: March 07, 2016, 08:47:32 pm »
I have Novastar SPR-25 stencil printer and GF-120HT reflow oven. They both are good, but as the oven is high wattage and the PP machine is much slower than the oven cycle time then a kitchen oven is a far more cost effective solution.

Pictures below tell all, note that the kitchen oven has no special controller but a flash light... :-DD

-ichan

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #568 on: March 07, 2016, 10:38:07 pm »
I have been looking at the SPR-25. Would you recommend it for low volume fine pitch?
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #569 on: March 07, 2016, 10:43:14 pm »
I have been looking at the SPR-25. Would you recommend it for low volume fine pitch?

No idea, but my ~$300 printer with the quickframe works well for .4mm pitched QFNs and 0402s.   A lot more comes down to stencil thickness and applicaiton of paste. the better printers won't help you much there, but what they will help you with is aligning the stencil. The cheap ones are really painful, and it can take a few minutes per panel to get your aligngment!

Offline rwb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #570 on: March 08, 2016, 06:27:58 am »
@ichan I'm excited that your NeoDen 4 is almost in your hands  :-+

I looked over your IC list and I see some fine pitch IC parts that have the same pin spacing as parts that I would want to use the machine to lay so this will be very interesting to see how well the NeoDen 4 handles them at any speed at the quantity that you will be running.

This should be a really good test. Your either going to be really happy or stuck fixing problems constantly.

Can't wait for the party to start  :popcorn:

Offline ServoKit

• Regular Contributor
    • ServoKit
« Reply #571 on: March 08, 2016, 06:41:41 am »
Hey ichan, here's my oven with controller (and flashlight).

It's surprising how good this works, 5mins and you are done.

Regards, Axel

Offline rwb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #572 on: March 08, 2016, 06:46:38 am »
The cheap toasters do get the job done on the cheap  :)

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #573 on: March 08, 2016, 07:34:01 am »
The cheap toasters do get the job done on the cheap  :)

They sure do. If you take the time, to get it sorted out they are a really good option.   Obvisouly you cnat' do thousands of boards, but they are great for prototyping.

Offline TJ232

• Frequent Contributor
  • www.esp8266-projects.org
    • ESP8266 Projects
« Reply #574 on: March 08, 2016, 02:05:06 pm »
Hey ichan, here's my oven with controller (and flashlight).

It's surprising how good this works, 5mins and you are done.

Regards, Axel

<joke>
Axel, your place look way to clean, kmoon :))

And that Owen, kmoon, it's like in Severin showroom or some Pharmacy device :D
<end joke>

Have the same model from Severin, working like a charm  :-+

ESP8266 Projects - www.esp8266-projects.org
MPDMv4 Dimmer Board available on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/stores/next_evo1/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf