Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 787344 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #1350 on: March 21, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »
I got myself a Lecroy LC584AL (1GHz, 2Gs/s 1Mpts) scope from the broken test equipment asylum called Ebay. According to the seller it doesn't show a picture so it was cheap after making an offer.

This is the picture from the Ebay listing:

I'm starting to worry I have to un-score this. It has been marked 'shipped' more than 3 weeks ago from the US and the Ebay seller has not provided me with a tracking number despite several requests so I have no idea when it will arrive or wether it is stuck somewhere. I'd really hate it if I have to open a Paypal claim.
Today I opened a Paypal claim and almost immediately got a refund from the Ebay seller. Ofcourse I started looking to see if there is something else out there and  :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: IT GOT RELISTED ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/LeCroy-LC584AL-1GHz-Oscilloscope-8GS-s-2-GS-s-FOR-PARTS-OR-REPAIR-/282404432028 ) ! The a-hole never even shipped it to me and just kept quiet!  :rant: I'm slightly pissed off right now. But then again it might be a total lemon  :-BROKE and a higher force has prevented me from wasting my money.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1351 on: March 21, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »
They probably found out it was going to cost a lot more than expected to ship it to you, given my experience shipping heavy things from the US to other nations it would not surprise me if the shipping costs more than you paid for the scope. Still a crummy way to do business, he owed you an explanation but I'm guessing that's something like what happened. I don't know why but US shipping companies all gouge for overseas shipping. They charge much more than it costs to have something shipped here from overseas.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1352 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:03 pm »
I see that the relisted scope says something about not shipping internationally due to "past issues with international buyers".  I wonder if that's new, and he means you and that the "problem" was that you expected him to ship it to you after you bought it?   :-// 

Not a cool way to do business.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1353 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:25 pm »
I paid little over $150 for shipping using USPS which is actually slightly high for a piece of equipment this size so I don't think it has to do with shipping costs. Perhaps filling out a custom's form was too much to ask. Actually I enquired him specifically about the shipping costs to the NL (I always add that the NL is in West-Europe) and he quoted me the shipping costs before I commited to buying the oscilloscope.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:28:32 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: cncjerry

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1354 on: March 21, 2017, 06:38:41 pm »
Is that high? For me to ship that scope from Canada to NL using UPS it would be at least 150 USD and that is with a 70% discount off book rates. Obviously UPS is generally more expensive then USPS but shipping rates tend to be through the roof everywhere lately.

Either way that is certainly a bad experience overall and a crap seller.
VE7FM

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1355 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:38 pm »
International shipping has gotten obscenely expensive in recent years, I used to ship stuff all over the place but today I would not even attempt to ship a monster of a scope like that internationally. Of course I would say as much up front and not back out after the deal had closed.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1356 on: March 21, 2017, 08:13:41 pm »
If the price + shipping costs are worth it you won't hear me complaining. It is not unusual for me to pay more for shipping than the piece of equipment. Anyway, on to finding something else interesting!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1357 on: March 21, 2017, 08:23:30 pm »
Yeah it just annoys me that it costs so much. It's too bad that didn't work out too, regardless of the reason, that was a really crummy way for that seller to handle it, hopefully you left negative feedback.

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1358 on: March 27, 2017, 09:37:34 am »
Hit the local annual ham-fest this weekend. 1st one I've ever been to.

Picked up a Fluke 27/FM, (which has issues, but was in mint shape), a Fluke 8050A, (which also is in mint shape and only needed nicd's), and finally, a Radiometer Type SMG-1 Stereo Generator.

All for $80!

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1359 on: March 30, 2017, 07:11:36 am »
Keithley 2015 THD. $349. this ebay seller has hundreds for sale.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #1360 on: March 30, 2017, 07:50:53 am »
This was my biggest, not my latest score (in terms of number of TE acquired on one single trip):
Two HP6632 supplies, a Fluke 8600 multimeter, a Powerbox 3100 power supply, and the bonus Delta Elektronika SM 45-70 (which means 45V at 70A -> 3kW)
All from a single visit at Rosenkranz Elektronik in Darmstadt (the town where I got my EE diploma many years ago)

The Powerbox is now my most used supply, the 6632s are modded with some front panel binding posts, the Fluke has a weak relay inside (still have to repair this), and the Delta had a broken DIP flat cable connector (which I fixed).
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #1361 on: March 30, 2017, 10:05:18 am »
All from a single visit at Rosenkranz Elektronik in Darmstadt (the town where I got my EE diploma many years ago)

Do you know this lucky bag near Darmstadt, which is called Rainer Förtig?
http://rainer-foertig.de/

:-D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1362 on: March 30, 2017, 10:12:18 am »
300€ for 6632B ?
That confirms my assumption that german buyers are so damm rich. Thats why I am unable to win anything for reasonable price on german ebay.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1363 on: March 30, 2017, 10:15:16 am »
Do you know this lucky bag near Darmstadt, which is called Rainer Förtig?
http://rainer-foertig.de/
Yes, I know their website, but haven't been there.
A few week ago, I've been at the "längste Theke der Welt", visited Karl Knopf at his Messgerätemarkt and Hifi store, got that Datron 1061 and a TDS580C from him:
http://wunderkis.de/datron1061a/index.html

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1364 on: March 30, 2017, 10:17:11 am »
300€ for 6632B ?

Nope, the whole pile was about 700 Euros, each 6632B about 200 Euro

But you're right, German ebay bidders are some kind of insane (in terms of prices they bid). I leave many auctions alone just because of that, it's hard to find a real bargain.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:19:31 am by capt bullshot »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1365 on: March 30, 2017, 03:28:20 pm »
Keithley 2015 THD. $349. this ebay seller has hundreds for sale.

Nice one.

I got mine for something similar in really good condition and it has become my favorite multimeter.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1366 on: March 30, 2017, 07:46:46 pm »
Agilent 34401a. $385

Looks absolutely brand new, pristine - not a scratch. Screen protector is still attached. Zero VFD wear. Passes self test.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1367 on: March 30, 2017, 07:55:13 pm »
Agilent 34401a. $385

Looks absolutely brand new, pristine - not a scratch. Screen protector is still attached. Zero VFD wear. Passes self test.
You got very lucky, congratulations
In much less quality, they usually go for much more
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1368 on: March 30, 2017, 09:22:25 pm »
Agilent 34401a. $385

now that it's discontinued, there's a hurricane of 34401a being dumped on ebay. it's easy to just wait out for a good deal. doesn't take long.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1369 on: March 30, 2017, 09:24:01 pm »
This was my biggest, not my latest score (in terms of number of TE acquired on one single trip):
Two HP6632 supplies, a Fluke 8600 multimeter, a Powerbox 3100 power supply, and the bonus Delta Elektronika SM 45-70 (which means 45V at 70A -> 3kW)

The Powerbox is now my most used supply

That Powerbox has an interesting front panel. I hadn't seen one before.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1370 on: March 30, 2017, 09:27:17 pm »
Agilent 34401a. $385

now that it's discontinued, there's a hurricane of 34401a being dumped on ebay. it's easy to just wait out for a good deal. doesn't take long.

I haven't been watching very closely, but the price of 34401A seem higher now than a couple of years ago. Are there still businesses buying them for automation/compatibility reasons?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1371 on: March 30, 2017, 09:47:24 pm »
Agilent 34401a. $385

*** drool ***

:scared:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1372 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:33 pm »
Agilent 34401a. $385

*** drool ***

:scared:
Yah I agree.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1373 on: March 30, 2017, 11:02:13 pm »

I haven't been watching very closely, but the price of 34401A seem higher now than a couple of years ago. Are there still businesses buying them for automation/compatibility reasons?
Yes, prices have gone up for the 34401A on ebay over the last few years, especially when the instrument is in good condition. And now, with the possible problems of the 34461A and other new DMM, the prices of the 34401A will probably increase even more.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1374 on: March 31, 2017, 12:55:32 am »
Interesting. Thanks for the insights, HV.

I certainly wouldn't give mine up. Although the 34401A and 34410A don't have dual display, graphing, etc., I still prefer their large-digit VFD and prompt startup. :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf