Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 787197 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #1575 on: May 26, 2017, 10:47:49 pm »
Another item I just ordered is a Tektronix TLA7BB4. This is a 136 channel logic analyser acquisition module with 64Mbits of memory per channel. The real kicker is that it offers a high speed buffer with 128kbit sampled at 50GHz (no, this is not a typo). Unfortunately it is in an as-is condition so I have to hope (pray) it works. To be continued...
Serious stuff. Can you use the same probes as for TLA7AA4 (P6810/P6860/P6890) or do you have to move to P69XX D-Max ones? I was looking at TLA7BB4 and D-Max probes but the price increase compared to 7AA4 series is huge and not so popular on eBay.  I guess TLA7AA4 in Half/Quad channel mode wasn't enough for your needs.
According to the manual the same probes can be used on both TLA7AA4 and the TLA7BB4. And whether I need it... not really right now so it is more like a bad case of GAS. I'm a sucker for logic analysers.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1576 on: May 27, 2017, 07:06:38 am »
well..............

I posted about whether an Agilent 8591E spec/an with a very dim display was worth buying and nobody responded.

I got it and it turns out that the problem is the intensity pot has to be pushed in a little firmly. Looks like this thing is a WINNER!

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1577 on: May 27, 2017, 11:34:55 am »
Tektronix DC503A for only $32 -
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #1578 on: May 27, 2017, 01:42:57 pm »
Tektronix DC503A for only $32 -
Hmm any one would think you have some' housings' with holes to fill  :P.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1579 on: May 27, 2017, 02:45:39 pm »
Nice Catch.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #1580 on: May 27, 2017, 10:02:28 pm »
Got a good deal on a LeCroy ZS1000 probe, complete in original packaging with all accessories including the stand, practically unused... Paid about a third of new.

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1581 on: May 27, 2017, 10:34:01 pm »
For once, I scored a deal. I attended the ham radio Hamvention in Ohio a week ago and stopped by the Tequipment booth. And there it was, an event special price list. And there it was, a demo Rigol DP832 power supply with all options (and full warranty) for 286$. New price for this plus options is close to $700. The unit is very fresh, cal certificate is only five months old or so. Whoo-hoo.

John (WB5THT)

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1582 on: May 28, 2017, 10:21:24 pm »
not really test equipment, but I picked up a Panasonic AG-1980 for $19.95.  :-+

Offline Marek85

• Contributor
« Reply #1583 on: June 10, 2017, 04:42:59 pm »
I got the HMC 8043 yesterday. Played around with it and I'm very satisfied :) It can be controlled with a PC in various ways but my favorite is SCPI via USB. A lot of options and a lot of potential.

But airflow holes on top of a bench power supply? Come on...

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1584 on: June 11, 2017, 02:35:52 am »
I got the HMC 8043 yesterday. Played around with it and I'm very satisfied :)
Very nice.  I was debating that or the TTi MX100TP and went with the TTi.  Both had LXI support, which was important to me.  I think the R&S has a cleaner look than the TTi.  But I wanted the extra power and the sense ports in the front.  The MX100TP is a bit deep at 375mm (15").  It gets in the way on my bench a bit.  The HMC8043 is a much more compact design.  Nice score!

Offline Marek85

• Contributor
« Reply #1585 on: June 11, 2017, 01:35:32 pm »
I was debating that or the TTi MX100TP and went with the TTi.

Yes I saw your thread Rob and I also looked up the MX100TP. Nevertheless I spotted this new HMC 8043 with -40% off and I just couldn't resist it :P It was still a lot of money for me but I'm very happy with it. 100 W is enough for me and the functionality is great. Easy ramps, programmable fuses, arb sequences - all built in.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:45:34 pm by Marek85 »

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1586 on: June 11, 2017, 04:41:13 pm »
I spotted this new HMC 8043 with -40% off and I just couldn't resist it :P
Where?  That sort of discount would have swayed my decision.

Offline Marek85

• Contributor
« Reply #1587 on: June 11, 2017, 07:12:27 pm »
Where?

Poland. But they had only one piece :/

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1588 on: June 11, 2017, 08:31:30 pm »
Poland. But they had only one piece :/

Sweet deal!   :-+

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1589 on: June 11, 2017, 09:13:21 pm »
I got the HMC 8043 yesterday. Played around with it and I'm very satisfied :) It can be controlled with a PC in various ways but my favorite is SCPI via USB. A lot of options and a lot of potential.

But airflow holes on top of a bench power supply? Come on...
Yeah, air holes on top are really stupid. At work someone blew up a nice TTi supply by dropping something metallic inside. Good for me though, I got given it for free and fixed it 8)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1590 on: June 12, 2017, 02:37:17 am »
Yeah, air holes on top are really stupid. At work someone blew up a nice TTi supply by dropping something metallic inside. Good for me though, I got given it for free and fixed it 8)

Nice score. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1591 on: June 12, 2017, 03:54:23 am »
I never realized dropping stuff through the top of equipment was such a serious problem. My HP and Agilent power supplies have vents in the top, and my Tektronix power supply has holes there. I always thought the top and bottom was where the openings worked best for convection cooling. I guess the sides would work almost as well though. Now that I think about it, I had a TV once that might have survived that Coke incident if the cooling slots had been somewhere besides on top.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1592 on: June 12, 2017, 05:13:03 am »
CRT monitors do need a lot of convective cooling with how hot they run in there so its probably a bad idea not to have vents on the top.

I don't think i have any power supplies that have vents on top, but i do have an old HP pulse generator that has a hole mesh along the top and bottom panel while the cards inside are stacked vertically so that air can pass up trough it. Tho the cooling method did not seam work that well since its clear that the power supply PCB got rather hot in some places (darkened spots). Tho its possible the unit was run with other equipment stacked on it  so the airflow was blocked. But that's not something that should have been a problem since the case does have the groves that some old HP gear had for easy stacking.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1593 on: June 12, 2017, 07:35:47 am »
The air holes are an issue if the supply is actually directly on a bench (as they are in the open-plan office I work in). Stuff inevitably gets put on top of the supply as there is never enough space, and accidents can happen. If you have your gear on shelving then it's not such an issue.

Offline Marek85

• Contributor
« Reply #1594 on: June 12, 2017, 10:17:40 am »
The air holes are an issue if the supply is actually directly on a bench (as they are in the open-plan office I work in). Stuff inevitably gets put on top of the supply as there is never enough space...

Yeah that's what I had in mid. It's a bench power supply and you cannot stack it with other gear... :palm:

Offline bjcuizon

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF and Analog Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #1595 on: June 13, 2017, 04:49:17 am »
Just scored a bunch of adapters and interconnects for some gear. They're from RS and local stores.  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:51:06 am by bjcuizon »
Don't mess with an Electronics Engineer, it Megahertz!

Offline deepskyridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1596 on: June 13, 2017, 07:04:38 pm »
I just got in the past week from Ebay:

Fluke 6060B - Not working - $75
HP 5370B - Not working  - $140

The 6060B has a shorted bridge rectifier in the PS, have parts on order.
The 5370B is missing one of it's cards, power supply control and it's OCXO. Picked up the PS control on ebay.

Gary

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1597 on: June 16, 2017, 11:32:02 am »
After hunting for a 1GHz+ DSO for over half a year I think I finally got one for a reasonable price (way less than $1000). Today I paid for an Agilent 54835A (4 channels 1GHz 2Gs/s) in for 'parts condition' but it looks fine on the outside. This is a PC based scope and it is stuck in the BIOS screen saying 'CMOS checksum error press F1 yadda yadda'. It is a bit of a crap shoot but it has received a new motherboard after 2005 (VIN 033 sticker) due to a recall. The fans look really clean so I hope it has been sitting unused on a shelve for a long time and the only problem is the CMOS battery has gone flat. The hard drive is also recognised by the BIOS so that means it at least still spins. I hope to uphack it to an 54846A (4 channels 1GHz 4Gs/s / 2 channel 2.25GHz/8Gs/s) but more about that once I get it to work and pass self test.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:52:45 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 0.01C

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1598 on: June 16, 2017, 04:25:19 pm »
Funny thread  :clap:
I got a  :-BROKE AG8753ES at HKD2000 last year . repair HKD50, now  :popcorn:
0.01℃

The following users thanked this post: Muxr

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #1599 on: June 16, 2017, 04:58:40 pm »
I just got in the past week from Ebay:

Fluke 6060B - Not working - $75
HP 5370B - Not working  - $140

The 6060B has a shorted bridge rectifier in the PS, have parts on order.
The 5370B is missing one of it's cards, power supply control and it's OCXO. Picked up the PS control on ebay.

Gary

I recently was given a working 5371a plus a parts unit.  I was watching the 5370b on ebay and I am still watching I guess. 

They are pretty interesting units.  Try it with timelab when you get it working.  I wrote my own VB code to collect the data off the 5371a as it was easier than trying to get timelab to talk to my GPIB.  I've been getting some interesting Allan deviation charts from my two GPS PPS outputs.  Ping me offline if you need some help once you get it running.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf