Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 787187 times)

Online scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2825 on: January 30, 2022, 10:27:30 pm »
Well today I scored on my local Facebook marketplace a mint condition Tek 453A for $45.00 and a semi basket case PM3350 for $15.00.

Looks like the PM3350 is going to be a lot of work. It probably would have been an easy fix if the previous owner had not tried to fix it.

Oh well. Another day, another scope repair

Sam
W3OHM
W3OHM

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2826 on: January 31, 2022, 01:49:11 am »
I've played "Power Sensor Gambling" before but this was my first time playing "ECAL Gambling".

I have been wanting a Keysight N7555A ECAL unit for quite some time now, it pairs nicely with a 26.5 GHz FieldFox. It also had one female and one male 3.5 mm connector which is the configuration I was looking for.
So when it came up on a well known auction site I tossed out a low offer, they countered at more then 10 times the amount but after another low offer they accepted. It was of course listed for "parts / not working" and they said it was untested. As the seller seemed to mainly have office electronics and furniture the untested part was likely true.
After waiting for what seemed like forever(bought this over Christmas) it finally arrived and I was thrilled that it worked perfectly.
I then decided to add the torque wrench, a fixed wrench and the required micro USB cable and tuck it all nicely into a Pelican 1170.

This will probably be my best score for 2021/2022 but I won't stop looking for more deals.
VE7FM

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2827 on: January 31, 2022, 04:10:31 pm »

This will probably be my best score for 2021/2022 but I won't stop looking for more deals.

Don't look to much ... have mercy on the others...  :-DD

Congratulations on a Keysight N7555A ECAL.
You probably got it so cheap, you paid more for the original wench!

Sometimes we still can get lucky, but it was much easier 5 years ago.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 04:12:46 pm by HighVoltage »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: TheSteve

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2828 on: January 31, 2022, 06:38:59 pm »

Don't look to much ... have mercy on the others...  :-DD

Congratulations on a Keysight N7555A ECAL.
You probably got it so cheap, you paid more for the original wench!

Sometimes we still can get lucky, but it was much easier 5 years ago.
You always pay more for an original WENCH!

The following users thanked this post: srb1954

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2829 on: January 31, 2022, 07:26:38 pm »
That is my special wrench - an original HP. the front black portion is actually stamped "HEWLETT PACKARD".
VE7FM

Offline TekForever

• Contributor
  • Former NAVAIR Metrologist, Current EET
« Reply #2830 on: January 31, 2022, 08:05:10 pm »
Just saw this thread but I got my Tek TDS620B which I then promptly upgraded to a TDS680B for $95. Came with 2 P6139A probes. Keeping an eye out for an AFG and bench DC PSU to complete my setup.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2831 on: January 31, 2022, 10:04:54 pm »
Niiiiice score on the ecal!

It's probably your best score for 2021/2022? Optimism abounds -- that's one jammy git of a deal, it's gonna be hard to beat it  ;D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #2832 on: February 01, 2022, 03:59:56 am »
I've played "Power Sensor Gambling" before but this was my first time playing "ECAL Gambling".

I have been wanting a Keysight N7555A ECAL unit for quite some time now, it pairs nicely with a 26.5 GHz FieldFox. It also had one female and one male 3.5 mm connector which is the configuration I was looking for.
So when it came up on a well known auction site I tossed out a low offer, they countered at more then 10 times the amount but after another low offer they accepted. It was of course listed for "parts / not working" and they said it was untested. As the seller seemed to mainly have office electronics and furniture the untested part was likely true.
After waiting for what seemed like forever(bought this over Christmas) it finally arrived and I was thrilled that it worked perfectly.
I then decided to add the torque wrench, a fixed wrench and the required micro USB cable and tuck it all nicely into a Pelican 1170.

That's a hell of a score, and I'm jealous of that made in USA wrench. I'm thinking I might eventually try to rig together the ecal setup for my 8510C. You need a fifth box in the system for it (85060C) as well as the ecal. That'll be a while though, still recovering from buying the 8510C and some port cables.  :-DD

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2833 on: February 01, 2022, 08:42:57 pm »

That's a hell of a score, and I'm jealous of that made in USA wrench. I'm thinking I might eventually try to rig together the ecal setup for my 8510C. You need a fifth box in the system for it (85060C) as well as the ecal. That'll be a while though, still recovering from buying the 8510C and some port cables.  :-DD

I've seen the pair of ECAL's used with the 8510C to get 10 MHz to 26.5 GHz in the wood box with torque wrenches go for a couple hundred before. I almost bought it just to tuck it away for the future. Of course now I wish I had.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #2834 on: February 02, 2022, 12:32:41 am »

I've seen the pair of ECAL's used with the 8510C to get 10 MHz to 26.5 GHz in the wood box with torque wrenches go for a couple hundred before. I almost bought it just to tuck it away for the future. Of course now I wish I had.

Wow that would have been a grab.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2835 on: February 07, 2022, 09:17:42 pm »
This crystal tester. In really good nick and works just fine.

The following users thanked this post: Barbouri, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2836 on: February 08, 2022, 07:32:04 am »
This crystal tester. In really good nick and works just fine.
Interesting find. Nowadays a rather strange designation. Would be called an RF diode tester now.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
    • Barbouri's Electronics Projects
« Reply #2837 on: February 14, 2022, 01:36:26 am »
Another HP 3470 Measurement System from 1977, with a Hewlett Packard 34740A 4-1/2 digit display module and a 37402A Multimeter section.
Quite a bit of troubleshooting and repair needed for the display module, and three new bi-polar capacitors needed for the multimeter module, but works fantastic now.

Blog post for the repair and pairing of both modules at: https://www.barbouri.com/2022/02/13/hp-34740a-display-and-34702a-multimeter-modules/

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Cubdriver, capt bullshot

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2838 on: March 21, 2022, 02:39:22 am »
Some more HP goodness from late 1974 arrived today. A 5300B counter system with a 5308A 75 MHz timer / counter, and a 5312A HP-IB ASCII interface center section.

The following users thanked this post: wkb, xrunner, beanflying

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2839 on: March 21, 2022, 09:36:49 am »
I have the same set, apart from the HP-IB interface. Quite nifty counters.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2840 on: May 15, 2022, 03:38:42 pm »
Latest new to me, 36 year old piece of Hewlett Packard gear.
A 8012B Pulse Generator built in 1986.
Blog post at: https://www.barbouri.com/2022/05/14/hewlett-packard-8012b-pulse-generator/

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, wolfy007, bd139

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2841 on: May 16, 2022, 03:44:33 pm »
Latest new to me, 36 year old piece of Hewlett Packard gear.
A 8012B Pulse Generator built in 1986.
Blog post at: https://www.barbouri.com/2022/05/14/hewlett-packard-8012b-pulse-generator/
I own one of those and really like it.  I had a very strange problem that needed repair.
The output stages are switched current sources designed to drive a low impedance, either 50 or 25 ohms, and the calibration on the slide-pots for output voltage has two scales.
The internal 50 ohm loads are switched in with a reed relay controlled by the panel switch;  the reed relays are DIP units with built-in diodes across the coils, and are constructed so that they can be rotated 180 degrees before insertion and still function, except that that reverses the diode polarity.  I noticed bad behavior of that function, and found that indeed the relay was inserted in the wrong rotation. 
There was no sign on the circuit board of previous repair, so it may have come that way from the factory.  With the diode reversed, it "sort-of-maybe-sometimes" worked, since that was well out of spec for the coil.
Replacing the relay solved the problem.

The following users thanked this post: Barbouri

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2842 on: May 16, 2022, 07:22:37 pm »
Been on the hunt for a long time ... Finally

/Bingo

The following users thanked this post: edavid, TheSteve, Cubdriver, bd139, TSCOLAN, mapleLC

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2843 on: May 16, 2022, 08:20:08 pm »

/Bingo

Me <--jealous

Nice!!!!!   :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, Barbouri

Offline slbender

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2844 on: May 19, 2022, 05:09:54 am »

/Bingo

I know that feeling…. I had wanted a certain expensive German box (like $50K new) for hmmm. maybe the past 27 years.  I finally got it for a price I felt I could afford.  Actually Got It!  Turned it on.  Blank white screen. Burned connector in power supply.

OK, better yet - a place in Texas had a full power supply (toroidal transformer, heat sink with regulators, cap board, IEC inlet, and power switch) for the German box, only - they were asking almost as much as I paid for the German box, and “make offer”.  As a joke, I sent in an offer of $125., (thinking they would have a big laugh) but a few minutes later, a window appeared on my iPad  “Pay It”.

The German box still is not working, but disassembled somewhat, soon I hope to find the time to switch in the other power supply to (hopefully) complete its repair?  If anyone is guessing as to what the German box is… let me just say it has a few options and it came with the rarely seen “Low Distortion Generator” module.  So those two were the deals that made my decade.

Steven

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2845 on: May 19, 2022, 05:54:44 pm »
I know that feeling….

Looks like a Nice audio analyzer R&S makes excellent equipment.
And Dr. Rhode knows hos OCXO theory

/Bingo

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2846 on: May 19, 2022, 07:39:50 pm »

/Bingo

Awesome find!
The jealousy is all on my side of the table.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: bingo600

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2847 on: May 20, 2022, 12:35:35 pm »
Rhode & Schwarz FSB 100Hz-5GHz Spectrum Analyzer

I got it pretty cheap, it looks like the one in this photo

Am I correct that I can do frequency response analysis on audio equipment with this unit?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2848 on: May 20, 2022, 02:06:08 pm »

...it looks like the one in this photo

Something's missing here
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2849 on: May 20, 2022, 04:54:43 pm »

/Bingo

Awesome find!
The jealousy is all on my side of the table.

Soon to test it with "your" 53132 counter.
But I doubt i have anything better to test it against...
Well some kind of verifying i could do , but i have nothing w. a lower noisefloor  :-//

Sigh ... Prob ending up CS hunting  :scared:

/Bingo
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:59:48 pm by bingo600 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf