Author Topic: Funny Company Names....  (Read 107216 times)

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
Re: Funny Company Names....
« Reply #350 on: July 02, 2021, 06:31:33 pm »
TimFox, "Calpis"/カルピス is a great example. Due to the current plight, I haven't been to Japan since 2019. While I try to keep the kanji in memory and review their various readings, I remember things that I mispronounced while talking to people. Some of those mistakes could have been taken as rather offensive.

O'Bryce, excellent excuse. In deference to your native accent, you are hereby officially permitted to fly the German flag under your name. As for IPA, maybe we should start a thread about homographs among TLAs.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #351 on: July 03, 2021, 07:59:09 am »
Well I've lived in Germany for many years, so the flag is where I am, not where I'm from. As for Japanese, I only spent a few years there and other than recognising the road signs of certain cities, I never really learnt to read it. My pronunciation seemed ok though as I was understood most of the time.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: harerod

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #352 on: July 03, 2021, 09:13:14 am »
McBryce: Living and working in Japan? Now I am a wee bit jealous.

CatalinaWOW: There is one important link that I forgot before:
https://translate.google.de/?sl=ja&tl=en&text=%E9%BB%84%E8%89%B2%E3%81%AE%E9%9B%AA%E3%81%AF%E9%A3%9F%E3%81%B9%E3%81%BE%E3%81%9B%E3%82%93%E3%80%82&op=translate
Google Translate has a reader function, with what seems to be a Tokyo accent.  The handwriting recognition is excellent, especially if one sticks to the standard stroke order.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:18:40 am by harerod »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #353 on: July 05, 2021, 12:54:23 pm »
I think the problem is that you are pronouncing "Yukky" as it would be pronounced in German, whereas it has a commonly known pronunciation in English (the word small children use to describe something that doesn't taste good), which is the pronunciation I was trying to convey.

No, it's quite the opposite. If you speak "yukky" it as it would be pronounced in English, you get the Japanese pronounciaton wrong. If you pronounce the "u" the German way, you get much closer.

harerod has provided the phonetic alphabet (IPA) transcription for the vowel you want. Please see (and hear) here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_back_unrounded_vowel

Ok, then the problem is my (non)-english accent. I come from Dublin, where "u" is pronounced exactly the same as it is in German. I know the British "u" sounds completely different. So "but" in British english sounds more like "bat", but in Dublin is has the "u" sound as it would in German.

As for IPA* and other phonetic descriptive formats, I have never understood them! :D

McBryce.

* IPA for me is Polypropylene :D
India Pale Ale or Isopropanol. But Polypropylene? why?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: July 05, 2021, 01:02:04 pm »
Doh! Because my brain was on standby and I had just been discussing PP at work  :palm: I meant Isopropanol.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline peteru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #355 on: July 05, 2021, 01:54:46 pm »
While on the way to Belgium (for a beer tour of course), I spotted this car in a German car park:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 02:38:20 pm by peteru »

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: July 05, 2021, 02:25:15 pm »
reminds me of this old story

An old raf veteran  was giving a talk during assembly at a posh girl's school, and was recounting one of the many dogfights he took part in during world war 2

"I had two fuckers to the left of me, two fuckers to the right, another two fuckers below, and one fucker coming in from the sun"

At this point the headmistress went pale and interjected "I must inform you girls that there is a type of aircraft called a fokker spelled f-o-k-k-e-r"

raf veteran  replied "That may be true madam but these fuckers were in messerschmitts""

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, HighVoltage, ebastler, Neomys Sapiens, peteru

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #357 on: July 05, 2021, 04:08:34 pm »
While on the way to Belgium (for a beer tour of course), I spotted this car in a German car park:

Which is pronounced "fycker", due to the umlaut dots. So Germans, even those who know English, won't raise an eyebrow at this.  8)

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #358 on: July 05, 2021, 05:25:49 pm »
When reading the classic "On the Sensations of Tone as a Physiological Basis for the Theory of Music" ("Die Lehre von den Tonempfindungen als physiologische Grundlage für die Theorie der Musik"), by Hermann von Helmholtz (1863), I was very impressed by his early work on synthesizing musical notes, since he adjusted his apparatus to produce German vowel sounds, which I could never do properly in German class.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #359 on: July 05, 2021, 05:54:23 pm »

Which is pronounced "fycker", due to the umlaut dots. So Germans, even those who know English, won't raise an eyebrow at this.  8)

An English speaker won't understand the "y" in "Fycker", they would read that like the German "Feiker". For English ears/readers it would be "Fou-ker".

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #360 on: July 05, 2021, 07:01:10 pm »
I was always taught that an U with an Umlaut was to be prounced somewhere in-between "EW" and "OO"; so somewhere between
FOOKER and FEWKER in English, but not as a "y" in English (german EI sound)

Was I led astray by poor teaching?

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #361 on: July 05, 2021, 07:03:26 pm »
The IPA transcription of "Fücker": [fʏkɐ]. [fʏkər] would sound unnatural to most German native speakers, at least in the south. We have lots of accents and dialects in this country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Standard_German
[ʏ] is used to transcribe umlaut ü.
/er/ at word ending is often reduced into [ɐ], an effect similar to the schwa-sound in English - [ə].

As for ebastler's "won't raise an eyebrow at this" - that depends pretty much on the mental age of the reader...  :)

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #362 on: July 05, 2021, 07:21:38 pm »
boffin, have a look at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_German_phonology, especially the vowel diagram.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel_diagram
The vowel diagram shows the position of the blade of the tongue during sound production. The history of the first vowel diagram tells of sacrifices comparable to what the Curies did. When this research was first done, MRI was not available. So volunteers had several pieces of metal sewn to their tongues to enable x-ray photography and movies to be taken, while they spoke.

Edit: if one wanted to investigate further, the name "Daniel Jones" would provide a good starting point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_vowels <- check x-ray pictures to see the metal strips.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 07:39:33 pm by harerod »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #363 on: July 05, 2021, 08:15:14 pm »
I was always taught that an U with an Umlaut was to be prounced somewhere in-between "EW" and "OO"; so somewhere between
FOOKER and FEWKER in English, but not as a "y" in English (german EI sound)

Was I led astray by poor teaching?

I wasn't thinking of the long "y", but a short one like in "mystery" or "cyst". But I realize now that this does not get the right "ü" sound.  The English pronouciation of that short "y" is much closer to a short "i" like in "picture" or "minion" than what we want for the "ü".

I guess there is a reason the the "ü" and "ö" are difficult for English speakers; there is no directly equivalent sound in English. "EW" or "OO" don't cut it either, I'm afraid.  ;)

There are plenty of sites with pronounciation examples these days, e.g. here: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/dr%C3%BCcken. But if one is not used to the sound, it might be difficult to pick up the difference even from listening? (Just like it is difficult for Germans to get the English "W" or "TH" sounds initially...)

Edit: To offer another take on the "ü" sound: It is somewhere halfway between "eee" and "ooo" (as pronounced in English). Raise your tongue towards the roof of your mouth as when pronouncing "beetle", but round your lips as you would when pronouncing "boot". That should get you in the ballpark?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 09:01:07 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #364 on: July 05, 2021, 09:57:57 pm »
Every time I write "per se", I cannot help but giggle a bit.  You see, Finnish "perse" = "arse" (in English).  I've hidden several dad jokes in my posts for those who know that to discover.  No laughs yet, though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:03:56 pm by Nominal Animal »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #365 on: July 06, 2021, 04:35:46 am »
One of these just opened a location near me. They have lasers. They shoot the lasers at your privates. pew .. pew .. pew.

Are you ready for a visit? Schedule with your friendly neighbourhood vagicians.

I don't know, but when I was growing up if someone said they were visiting their friendly neighbourhood vagician  I would have an entirely different service in mind.

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #366 on: July 06, 2021, 05:59:36 am »
Every time I write "per se", I cannot help but giggle a bit.  You see, Finnish "perse" = "arse" (in English).  I've hidden several dad jokes in my posts for those who know that to discover.  No laughs yet, though.
Err, I enjoy reading your posts because of the insights they contain. So, to get those jokes - would one have to know Finnish?

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: July 06, 2021, 06:26:13 am »
So, to get those jokes - would one have to know Finnish?
No, just that sometimes replacing the term "per se" (by itself/in itself) with "arse" may make sense, in the dad joke style.  (Including, it is never used offensively, and any deprecation hidden in there is self-deprecation and shared misery.  Dads don't belittle kids, they help them grow into dads too.)

You do realize that having to explain ones jokes that nobody laughs at, is per se a dad joke?

The only immediately helpful Finnish term that anyone might care to know that pops into my mind is the word perkele  [ˈperkele].  The next time you stub your toe or something, let those hard r's roll with that sharp k immediately following – [ˈperrrr kele], and you'll find it helps deal with the sudden sharp pain.  Tests do indicate that pain threshold is higher when you get to use such 'words of power', compared to when you stay silent or just yell non-words, and among my admittedly small international sample, that word has particularly good characteristics for exactly that use.

[Lots of edits, because me fail English, and getting the wording even in the correct ballpark is hard.  Finnish is so much easier...]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 06:37:48 am by Nominal Animal »

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #368 on: July 06, 2021, 07:27:16 am »
Out of context, I would have bet that "perkele" was Greek. Thanks, again what learned.

Finnish being easier than English? "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!"
I'll put Finnish is on my bucket list, right after Japanese, Hebrew and Oromo.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #369 on: July 06, 2021, 09:38:12 am »
Forgot to mention: part of the funnyness to me is that the Finnish word for family, "perhe", is only very slightly different: replace the sibilant with an exhalation, and that's it.  Also works for a kid-friendly expletive, you see.

Finnish being easier than English? "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!"
Only because I grew up with it, of course.  It has its beautiful features like all languages have..  Tolkien for example liked the phonotactics, and used those to create Quenya.

I myself don't often speak English aloud at all.  I read a lot, and use it in very narrow technical contexts, but outside of entertainment (mostly Youtube, old comedies et cetera), nothing "social".  About the opposite to majority of English speakers, I guess.  Some of the issues and errors I make are just :o to native speakers.  Although I almost never confuse then/than or they/their/they're (except as typos), so it is not that I make fewer errors, mine are just different.  For example, at one point I realized my pronounciation had degraded so much (due to lack of use) that people had trouble telling whether I said "can" or "can't".  I switched to letting my Finnish Rally English Accent come clear through, and that made my speech much easier to understand, it seems.
(At school, we are taught that That Accent Is The Worst Sin, and should emulate British/American/etc. pronunciation, because Rally English, although clear and understandable, being instantly recognizable, immediately marks us as Finnish and that is Shameful.  Don't get self-hating xenophiles teach you foreign languages; the results are just too odd.  Many, many Finns, especially the older folk, won't talk to you in English because they fear you laugh at their accent.  Get them drunk, and suddenly they talk like five languages.  Usually all mixed together, though.  The tales I could tell, for example of that one discussion where the Finn used 'swamps' instead of 'mushrooms', because of Swedish influence.  Was hilarious, what with the mental imagery of someone eating peat and whatnot.)

Wrt. the language issues all over this thread, my point here is that it is not just language, nor just culture.  Some of us just use non-native languages in weird ways that make for odd (and hopefully entertaining) errors and mistakes.  Speaking a language well does not mean you know all the idioms used, and that explains many of the funny company names.  It is not just a matter of picking up a thesaurus or automatic translator, although the company and product names generated that way are definitely in their own hilarious class.  Sometimes it is just, whatstheword, context or social circles or such.

I happened to stumble on certain videos and stuff that used the pressurized air analogs for certain electrical circuits recently.  You can talk about whether the analog is apt or not, but fact is, very few kids nowadays know anything about pressurized air (except that you either have to pump it, or you get it from a hose at the gas station).  Which makes that approach, well, hilarious: it's like trying to teach city kids computer repair by using livestock rearing similes and analogs.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:44:42 am by Nominal Animal »

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #370 on: July 06, 2021, 10:35:29 am »
UNLESS I missed something over the last numerous pages here...
There are also a LOT of funny & inappropriate Website/Domain names! . . .  8)
https://www.boredpanda.com/worst-domain-names/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #371 on: July 06, 2021, 10:48:26 am »
https://www.boredpanda.com/worst-domain-names/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Oh, my.
iratus parum formica

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #372 on: July 06, 2021, 11:01:46 am »

Oh, my.

I'm sure a lot of these, (and numerous other companies!), must be aware of the situation, but are happy to play
on it to gain further attention to themselves!!   8)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #373 on: July 06, 2021, 03:59:39 pm »
Many, many Finns, especially the older folk, won't talk to you in English because they fear you laugh at their accent.  Get them drunk, and suddenly they talk like five languages. Usually all mixed together, though.

On the last contract I did for a German company I had a colleague who spoke native German, very good English and passable French and Italian. I speak native English, terrible German (but with a near impeccable north western accent as I learned it all in Germany from Germans which results in people greatly overestimating my competence in the language) and passable French. We had other colleagues from all over Europe and Africa and the one common language was English. Said colleague, Sven, had the habit of lapsing into French, sometimes when he couldn't find an English word for the German in his head, sometimes just because he knew he was in a "foreign" non-German conversation, so might drop into a conference call with "Bonjour tout le monde". I, on the other hand, have a habit of at least trying to reply in the language I've been spoken to in, and, like Sven, my brain sometimes short circuits and knows it should be speaking "foreign" and grabs the most familiar foreign word, even if it isn't in the language being spoken.

The net result of all this is that when Sven and I were talking to each other the conversation could be in a mixture of English/German/French, often all in one sentence, complete with accent shifts. We used to drive people crazy with it, especially folks from the Balkan countries who often only had English as their only non-native language, and the English who are notoriously bad at "foreign" even though it has been compulsory to teach at least one modern foreign language in our schools since I was a child.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #374 on: July 06, 2021, 04:30:03 pm »
Nominal Animal:
Quenya being based on Finnish phonotactics - that is excellent information. I will keep that in mind when I reread the Tolkien's work.

"Finnish Rally English Accent" - I had to look that one up. Schumacher vs. Häkkinen, those were the days.

I took university phonetics classes for aspiring English teachers in 2017/2018. Highest grades will only be awarded to students with flawless General American or Received Pronunciation, judged by native speakers. I soon dropped out of the advanced classes, but stayed friends with my American phonetics teacher, who became my sparring partner for Japanese. That connection is rather fortunate for me, since my more severe oral production mistakes still get corrected.

"Don't get self-hating xenophiles teach you foreign languages; the results are just too odd." Indeed, I couldn't find a better term for the people that make the liberal arts departments so unbearable for engineers.

"Get them drunk, and suddenly they talk like five languages". From first hand experience with Finns I can only say that this would be an expensive experiment, requiring solid funding.

All the other readers:
I would like to apologize for taking this thread OT. However I can't come up with any funny company names that would work in English. Feel free to laugh at mine, a rather direct translation of my last name. It stems from the sticks peon drivers used to beat about the bushes with - to chase rabbits out for the noble hunters. Nothing naughty, sorry.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Nominal Animal

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf