Author Topic: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X  (Read 392259 times)

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X
« Reply #1250 on: January 10, 2023, 09:02:24 pm »
Recently got my self an sdm3065x-sc, and I gotta say that the fan is a bit loud for my taste. Has anyone tried to replace it with a noctua yet? If so, how did it go? I accidentally ripped the warranty sticker off when taking it out of the plastic bag it...  |O   
So I thought ill give it a try, but dunno how its going to affect the accuracy of the meter
Welcome to the forum.

A data point for you might be mods I did to SDS1104X-E for a customer to investigate lowering fan noise.
I cut the steel grille away from the fan for zero noticeable benefit. Customer brought and fitted a similar spec Noctua for zero appreciable advantage.
Muck with the fan by all means but don't expect the unit to meet factory spec if you do.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Armin308

Offline Armin308

« Reply #1251 on: January 10, 2023, 09:24:45 pm »
Well, guess I wont touch it. Did it for the sds2104x plus and it got a lot quieter, dont really know if that was a good idea though  :-//
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:26:19 pm by Armin308 »
AJ

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1252 on: January 10, 2023, 09:34:20 pm »
Well, guess I wont touch it. Did for the sds2104x plus and it got a lot quieter, dont really know if it that was a good idea though  :-//
SDS2000X Plus is an interesting case as the later HD model is almost silent and one imagines the 12 bit capability would create more heat too. X Plus has a big PCB with lot of finned heat sinks on it too so maybe less flow through it would be okay but I'm inclined to trust what the designers have done for cooling.
Of course for your SDM3065X-SC there is a bit more HW inside than the non SC models which might impact on airflow so for the sake of temp stability for the LM399 Vref you are likely better to leave the fan stock until you know your instrument better.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1253 on: January 10, 2023, 10:48:41 pm »
Finally I got the "permission" to order four bench meters..
And finally a very last question:
What seriously speaks against the SDM3045X ?
I would just need the accuracy and bandwidth of a Fluke87 for the desk.
Nothing more...
Oh, and it should work stable, no freezings, no stuckings, just switching on and work with it, every day.
Could the SDM3045X handle this or not?
No problem if latest firmware is installed.
There are some idiosyncrasies with this model which to properly understand you need study this:
SDM3045X Ranging issues and why:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdm3045x-enough-is-enough/

Ah, ok...
The range thing doesn´t worry me.
So I give it a try and order at least one for testing, when succesful the next three..
This test site will be transformed into a siglent exhibition stand. 8)

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1254 on: January 12, 2023, 10:06:31 am »
This test site will be transformed into a siglent exhibition stand. 8)

He he

The package ordered yesterday has just arrived. So I also join the group of DMM by Siglent owners :)

I read this topic many times and wondered for a long time whether to buy SDM or something else. In the meantime, the prices of third-party multimeters have almost doubled :(

The price of SDM3065X in Poland has also increased significantly :( However, I found in one store at a price without increases (about 717 euro with 23% VAT and shipping) so I didn't think twice and bought it.

For now, the first test after unpacking, unfortunately I have to go to work, so probably more tests in the evening.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 11:49:59 pm by tomud »
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1255 on: January 12, 2023, 05:17:35 pm »
Recently got my self an sdm3065x-sc, and I gotta say that the fan is a bit loud for my taste. Has anyone tried to replace it with a noctua yet? If so, how did it go? I accidentally ripped the warranty sticker off when taking it out of the plastic bag it...  |O   
So I thought ill give it a try, but dunno how its going to affect the accuracy of the meter
With my 3055, which was very loud too, I put in a Sunon Maglev with comparable air moving capability. It was much less noisy running at full 12V already. But there was a siginificant swoosh of a fan running too fast in ram air. I put in a 300 Ohm resistor, lowering the voltage to 7V. Now it's fine.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 05:19:26 pm by Peter_O »

The following users thanked this post: Dbldutch

Offline Dbldutch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1256 on: January 13, 2023, 03:17:56 pm »
Peter_O,

Thank you, good info!

Tks

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1257 on: January 18, 2023, 03:02:47 am »
Hmm, I found the first problem with the SDM3065X.

The question is whether this problem occurs in other models and has anyone reported it to the manufacturer. The latest firmware is installed (V3.01.01.10).

If you select dual mode to measure voltage and current (behaves identically for DC and AC) and the wires are not connected (e.g. we want to cancel the measurement). The digital multimeter cannot measure the current and freezes (in this case it should show 0 A). Unable to exit to single mode, does not respond to attempts to change the function  :-//

After something like this, you can only turn the multimeter off and on to solve the problem  :(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 03:04:35 am by tomud »

Offline HamDancer

• Contributor
« Reply #1258 on: January 18, 2023, 03:45:03 am »
Hmm, I found the first problem with the SDM3065X.

The question is whether this problem occurs in other models and has anyone reported it to the manufacturer. The latest firmware is installed (V3.01.01.10).

If you select dual mode to measure voltage and current (behaves identically for DC and AC) and the wires are not connected (e.g. we want to cancel the measurement). The digital multimeter cannot measure the current and freezes (in this case it should show 0 A). Unable to exit to single mode, does not respond to attempts to change the function  :-//

After something like this, you can only turn the multimeter off and on to solve the problem  :(

Well look at that... it does the same thing on my 3055. I never really use dual mode (the relay drives me crazy) so I hadn't noticed it.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1259 on: January 18, 2023, 05:26:11 am »
Put the meter in manual mode (not autoranging), then it works. This bug was reported a rather long time ago, but no new firmware since then...

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1260 on: January 18, 2023, 10:03:19 am »
OK thank you for the information.

The problem came up while testing the device, just after buying it, I play with it a bit to check all the functions and whether the purchased copy has any problems.

If other users are experiencing the problem, you can see that it is a firmware issue and not a hardware etc issue with my multimeter.

Put the meter in manual mode (not autoranging), then it works. This bug was reported a rather long time ago, but no new firmware since then...

In fact, a lot of time has passed since the last update, you can see that the manufacturer needs to be reminded of this.

It is a pity that the firmware in the SDM series does not have a high priority, because probably there is not much to count on adding new functionalities. It's a bit strange because these are the only Siglent multimeters. For example, the function present in Agilent/Keysight 34461A is a bit missing, i.e. changing the format of the displayed numbers (changing the dot to a comma and adding separator) - https://youtu.be/SObqPuUozNo?t=624

Especially the separator facilitates quick reading with more numbers on the screen.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 10:05:42 am by tomud »

Offline Inovet

« Reply #1261 on: January 18, 2023, 10:32:21 am »
There are flaws in the firmware. Even such trifles as the "-" sign for negative values shifts the number on the display to the right. This can  also fix it simply by formatting the output line.

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1262 on: January 18, 2023, 01:04:21 pm »
 When buying this digital multimeter, I expected errors, but not in the style of hanging the device after selecting the measurement function  :palm:

I reported the problem, I'll see what answer I get.

It's been 16 months since the last firmware update for the SDM3065X, so it's probably worth writing an e-mail to Siglent. Reminding the manufacturer that users are waiting for bug fixes - maybe it will change priorities and some developer will take care of it.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1263 on: January 18, 2023, 01:19:57 pm »
When buying this digital multimeter, I expected errors....

I reported the problem, I'll see what answer I get.

It's been 16 months since the last firmware update for the SDM3065X, so it's probably worth writing an e-mail to Siglent. Reminding the manufacturer that users are waiting for bug fixes - maybe it will change priorities and some developer will take care of it.

I reported since almost 2 years about other issues to Siglent Germany support..... no sign no answer no feedback... only the Golden man left the company and sine more  |O

as one man likes a reliable help / support form a company ...  so be prepared  :palm: :palm: :palm:

and good luck to get any new FW since 2 years .. may the priority is on new gear.

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1264 on: January 19, 2023, 10:58:55 am »
I got a reply from support.

This is a know issue and will be solved with the next FW update.

In the meantime, if you switch the sequence of setting (main current / second voltage) it should work.

To be honest, I expected that answer.

I hope we won't have to wait a few more years for bug fixes in the firmware  :popcorn:

btw Maybe tautech has some information about Siglent's plans for digital multimeter firmware.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:02:41 am by tomud »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1265 on: January 19, 2023, 07:36:37 pm »
I hope we won't have to wait a few more years for bug fixes in the firmware  :popcorn:

How did you contact, by local Siglent in ...? or by ....?

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1266 on: January 19, 2023, 08:26:51 pm »

How did you contact, by local Siglent in ...? or by ....?

SIGLENT Technologies Germany GmbH

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1267 on: January 19, 2023, 10:48:56 pm »
I recently contacted Siglent Europe through the contact form in their webpage

https://www.siglenteu.com/contact-us/

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1268 on: January 19, 2023, 11:08:46 pm »
I recently contacted Siglent Europe through the contact form in their webpage

https://www.siglenteu.com/contact-us/

You can also send an e-mail info-eu@siglent.com

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline INLET1011

« Reply #1269 on: January 20, 2023, 06:41:00 am »
Which will come first, I buy SDM3055 or Siglent release new DMM series.

I have VOAC757, which producted almost half a century ago. :palm:
I definitely have to buy a new one.
I'm attracted to the SDM3055, but the problem is that it's been available since 2015.

In general, DMM releases aren't as frequent as oscilloscopes?

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1270 on: January 20, 2023, 10:21:11 am »
The technology for the DMMs is relative mature.  The 30+year old HP/KS3458 is still a good meter.  A new designed 5.5 digit meter may not be that different from the SDM3055 - maybe a 5% lower BOM costs and power consumption.

8 years seems to be enough time for the firmware to get reasonable stable - seems the last update finally fixed most of the freeze at boot problems. I would more have a problem with a new meter and buggy firmware that may take years to get fixed. How robust a meter actually is needs time to tell and the SDM3055 seems to be not too bad.

There is always the chance that a new very competitive product comes out, that has enough impact to shift the prices down. However this is independent on how long the SDM3055 is out, it would effect the whole market. For a relative mature product the chances are not that high, though the chip crisis may stirr up things (require a new design because of laking parts) and there could be a lucky punch.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Dbldutch, Mortymore, INLET1011

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1271 on: January 22, 2023, 03:20:47 pm »
Which will come first, I buy SDM3055 or Siglent release new DMM series.

You can always wait for something new, then you will never buy anything  >:D

In the case of DMM, there are no big changes and, as someone has already written, new models do not appear as quickly as in the case of oscilloscopes, etc.

Personally, maybe I will point out some errors in SDM in this thread (and I will complain) :P
But that's because IMHO it's worth pushing the Siglent company, with a little willingness and tweaking the software, they can be very competitively priced DMMs.

Would I buy the SDM3065X a second time - probably yes. I knew about some mistakes. The one with the measurement hanging in Dual mode surprised and upset me a bit (because it is a visible error that should have been caught and fixed a long time ago). I also realize that I would have to pay more than twice as much for a digital multimeter from a reputable company...

All in all, I don't know if it's not a good idea, as in the case of other measuring devices, to start a separate thread with a list of issues to be corrected, etc. It would be a much clearer knowledge base about the problems that still exist and what needs to be improved. Unfortunately, reading this long topic, it's easy to miss something.

I'd love to do it, but IMHO it's better if someone who is on this forum more often (so he can update the list in the first post). Unfortunately, due to other obligations I have, it happens that I do not visit here for a long time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:37:35 pm by tomud »

The following users thanked this post: INLET1011

Offline MarkKn

• Contributor
« Reply #1272 on: January 22, 2023, 04:58:55 pm »
Tomud, thanks for identifying the lockup issue and reporting it. I think that is how my meter locked up because I was working with dual mode around the time it happened.

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1273 on: January 31, 2023, 02:43:15 pm »
I reported since almost 2 years about other issues to Siglent Germany support..... no sign no answer no feedback...

hmm on January 22nd I sent a reply to Siglent Germany. I thanked the answer and sent a few other comments I have about the firmware and what can be improved.

I also asked if you know when the new version of the software will be released, etc. An excerpt from my e-mail:

Dear ...,

Thank you for your answer.

I still have a question, is it possible to know the approximate release date of the new software? It's not about a specific date, but an approximation (month, several months, year).

Best regards,

Unfortunately, I have not received any reply to this e-mail  :-//

It looks a bit bad...  :phew:  Even if you don't know, you can always reply "sorry we don't know the date" etc.   :-//

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:45:21 pm by tomud »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1274 on: January 31, 2023, 08:00:44 pm »
I reported since almost 2 years about other issues to Siglent Germany support..... no sign no answer no feedback...

hmm on January 22nd I sent a reply to Siglent Germany. I thanked the answer and sent a few other comments I have about the firmware and what can be improved.

I also asked if you know when the new version of the software will be released, etc. An excerpt from my e-mail:

Dear ...,

Thank you for your answer.

I still have a question, is it possible to know the approximate release date of the new software? It's not about a specific date, but an approximation (month, several months, year).

Best regards,

Unfortunately, I have not received any reply to this e-mail  :-//

It looks a bit bad...  :phew:  Even if you don't know, you can always reply "sorry we don't know the date" etc.   :-//

On my side it is now 2 years without a sign  :palm: :palm: :palm: :-DD

May @Tautech has a better :box: channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf