Author Topic: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X  (Read 392369 times)

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X
« Reply #1575 on: September 03, 2023, 08:17:39 pm »
In any case,  you want to avoid powering it down for at least the first month simply to get past the initial ageing effect of its internal reference before even so much as contemplating any re-calibration.

I think we're still looking for problems where there aren't any.
This multimeter can be accused of a lot, especially when it comes to the quality of the software and the slow fixing of errors in the firmware.
However, I've had it for some time, it's on almost non-stop (I use it as a basic multimeter - that's why I bought it).

What can I say about these imaginary problems with the reference voltage source - it still stays within the declared specification compared to other multimers I have at home.

In fact, Siglent specifies aging data (like any other manufacturer) - if you don't like the level it offers, it's time to spend a little more money  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 08:21:31 pm by tomud »
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, tautech, LastManStanding, Martin72, Bad_Driver

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1576 on: September 03, 2023, 08:40:53 pm »
Good point !

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1577 on: September 03, 2023, 08:46:26 pm »
In fact, Siglent specifies aging data (like any other manufacturer) - if you don't like the level it offers, it's time to spend a little more money  :popcorn:
Or, if due to any Vref drift correction/adjustment is now simple with the latest firmware....if you must have a precise meter.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1578 on: September 03, 2023, 09:43:32 pm »
Or, if due to any Vref drift correction/adjustment is now simple with the latest firmware....if you must have a precise meter.

There is also a guarantee. Personally, I bought the multimeter as a private person (hobbyist) so I have additional legal protection in the form of the possibility of returning it to the seller if the item does not comply with the contract. If the multimeter does not correspond to the technical data declared by the manufacturer, I can use this right of return.

However, tell yourself this ... I am not a seller, but if there was a problem and the multimeter did not meet the data declared by the manufacturer after some time - it would probably not be offered because it would threaten the bankruptcy of sellers of such equipment.

After all, this isn't some $20 multimeter you can throw away in the trash. So probably people would not ignore such a situation if such a problem arose.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1579 on: September 03, 2023, 10:15:13 pm »
Exactly.
As long as the meter moves within its own specifications, drift or not, everything is fine, no one can say anything against it.
But they do it anyway...
And to distinguish between normal behavior within the specifications or running out of them, that seems to be difficult for some.
I have nowhere read that the meter is out of the ranges, it was only upset to date that it does not display 10,0000 V when 10,0000 V is present, as an exaggerated example.

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1580 on: September 03, 2023, 10:40:56 pm »
Exactly.
As long as the meter moves within its own specifications, drift or not, everything is fine, no one can say anything against it.

Because as I wrote, people are looking for problems where there are none. Before buying, I read the declared technical data and I know what I bought. For the price IMHO it's ok

Yes, you can criticize the equipment for some non-compliance with the specification, e.g. what I am doing, i.e. badly working software, etc. But I will not compare this multimeter with my Keysight 6 and 1/2 where for its current market price I can buy four pieces of SDM3065 ...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 10:42:44 pm by tomud »

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1581 on: September 04, 2023, 03:56:58 pm »
In any case,  you want to avoid powering it down for at least the first month simply to get past the initial ageing effect of its internal reference before even so much as contemplating any re-calibration.

I think we're still looking for problems where there aren't any.
This multimeter can be accused of a lot, especially when it comes to the quality of the software and the slow fixing of errors in the firmware.
However, I've had it for some time, it's on almost non-stop (I use it as a basic multimeter - that's why I bought it).

What can I say about these imaginary problems with the reference voltage source - it still stays within the declared specification compared to other multimers I have at home.

I've had my SDM3065X for almost two years now (My! How the time flies by! :( ). When I was looking to upgrade my Mestek DM91 9999 counts handhelds, I was after a meter with not only an extra digit or so of resolution but also the best tempco performance for the lowest cost and the 3065X was the obvious choice despite costing over a £100 more than the 3055 option.

At the time, the extra digit was just a nice 'bonus' on my 'wish list' which seemed an unnecessary level of resolution. However, I soon enough came to appreciate this 'surfeit of resolution' once I started monitoring the 'lamp voltage' on my LPRO-101 - it gave me a deeper insight into the effect of temperature on this voltage which would have been difficult to perceive with a 3055's more humble level of resolution.

I had planned to leave it powered up for its first month of use anyway but I seem to recall letting it remain powered up for another month or two before finally allowing it to be powered down when not in use (typically overnight periods of rest). As far as I can tell, it more than complies with its specifications in all respects so I'm very satisfied with my investment of the additional £100 + I spent over and above the cost of the SDM3055 that I had been considering.

I don't disagree with your sentiment of throwing more money at a decent bench DMM to eliminate the need to 'burn in' the reference but, as a hobbyist, I was quite prepared to shell out for the modest cost of 13KWH's worth of energy consumption on my electricity bill  :)

BTW, I'd checked out the specs on quite a few alternative bench meters, including Owon's "cheap as chips" offering XDM1041 55,000 counts bench meter (I was only looking for an upgrade to my Mestek DM91 handhelds at the time). Unfortunately, Owon didn't think to include any tempco performance figures in its specification datasheet so I dropped it off the contender list. However, I did eventually purchase one some months after buying the 3065X for use as a secondary bench meter. By then, I was at least able to meaningfully characterise it's performance with  the 3065X  ;)
John

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1582 on: September 04, 2023, 05:28:12 pm »
I'm happy with the electronics as well. However, I do not like the software, apart from the bugs, some things are underdeveloped. This is my big disappointment considering other Siglent measuring devices I have where the firmware level is at a much better level.

For example, even such a screensaver is poorly implemented. To wake up the meter I have to press a button, it would be intuitive to press any key - but not because pressing it when the screen is off activates another function in addition to waking up (normally this pressing should be ignored and only wake up the screen). I omit other minor or major shortcomings compared to the 34465A on which Siglent heavily modeled the GUI. Because after so many years on the market, the firmware should be refined, or at least error-free.

I also have the Keysight 34465A and it's a different level but also a different price. The current price has dropped slightly, however, at the time of purchase, the SDM3065X was not available on the market. The price in companies having it in stock was much higher than the price suggested by the manufacturer (apart from the very unfavorable exchange rate of the dollar to the Polish currency, which increased the price even more).

This made me buy the SDM3065X instead of the second 34465A. Although after some consideration it has its positive sides. I wanted to completely abandon the use of a handheld multimeter at home (stationary is much more convenient). On the other hand, equipment used every day for many hours (as a multimeter is a basic work tool) can be damaged by accident / fatigue. In the case of Siglent, such an event as damage is also a "lesser loss". So Keysight stays for measurements where greater confidence is required, and Siglent for everyday use. I also have an old 34401A, but it serves more as a reserve, due to its age, it's a pity to destroy it - especially the display that burns out.

When it comes to the number of digits in a digital multimeter, it can be used in various ways. For example, my Brymen BM869S has a 50000 mode - it is even very accurate in it. However, with such a multimeter, this digit can be used to observe trends where accuracy itself is not so much required. Although here, too, Siglent and Keysight, which have charts, have a greater advantage. Yes, I can connect Brymen to a computer, but it's less convenient.

As for the references themselves, choosing them by manufacturers, etc., I will not investigate where the truth is. Both devices have their specifications in terms of how they will age in 90 days or a year and if they fit within those and I am happy with what they offer I don't care what reference voltage the manufacturer puts in.

Here, anyway, in order to conclude something, you would need to conduct reliable research with an established methodology, and not rely on a few photos from the forum to determine how important the problem may be.

On the other hand, looking at how much I paid for the SDM3065X because I managed to buy it at an attractive price, I am generally satisfied with the equipment despite many shortcomings - because basically there is nothing else on the market that can be reasonably purchased at this price.

Other Chinese brands such as Hantek, Owon, etc. I rather avoid, I do not trust this equipment. Rigol, which I used to be a fan of, also lost my trust because of bad software - I hope it won't happen with Siglent (the company will understand that in addition to the price of hardware, issues such as software quality and the speed of delivery of patches matter).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1583 on: September 04, 2023, 10:35:29 pm »
I'm happy with the electronics as well. However, I do not like the software, apart from the bugs, some things are underdeveloped. This is my big disappointment considering other Siglent measuring devices I have where the firmware level is at a much better level.
Yes, resulting from several development teams without common oversight.
However worthy feedback can bring about change/improvements.

Suggest you list all improvements you would like to see in a careful manner so they can be considered without risk of misinterpretation.
Keep them short with bullet points with how things work now and expected behaviour desired and I'll push it on.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, ch_scr, KungFuJosh

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1584 on: September 04, 2023, 11:08:11 pm »
Suggest you list all improvements you would like to see in a careful manner so they can be considered without risk of misinterpretation.
Keep them short with bullet points with how things work now and expected behaviour desired and I'll push it on.

• Update the user manual, to reflect the improvements provided by firmware updates, since the release of the largely outdated manual currently available
  • Make the SDM3055 a 240,000 count as advertised, because it behaves like a 220,000 count
  • Less important, but since we are here: Provide a way to see in DUAL mode the frequency and period as stated in Table 2-12, page 41 of the manual

PS: Thanks for your efforts tautech
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 12:22:00 am by Mortymore »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline RikV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1585 on: September 06, 2023, 10:34:14 pm »
Is it possible to configure an SDM3065X to measure an NTC (with known parameters) and continuously display the corresponding temperature?

Offline delvo

• Contributor
« Reply #1586 on: September 07, 2023, 03:35:46 am »
You can define custom sensors and basically provide a table for the parameters

Offline RikV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1587 on: September 08, 2023, 03:58:01 pm »
how is that done? I cannot find it in the manual?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1588 on: September 08, 2023, 07:09:23 pm »
Page 51-53..

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1589 on: September 08, 2023, 08:57:28 pm »
Page 51-53..

In what version of the manual?

The SDM3065X_Usermanual_E02B says nothing about custom sensor  :-//

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1590 on: September 08, 2023, 09:33:58 pm »
It doesn't say it directly, that's true.
But point 3 in the chapter describes the loading/displaying of the configurations, so it is obvious that you can create a configuration yourself.
I look tomorrow whether one can get it also without special entry in the manual.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1591 on: September 08, 2023, 10:09:27 pm »
But point 3 in the chapter describes the loading/displaying of the configurations, so it is obvious that you can create a configuration yourself.

The configurations described in the manual are the ones built in (fixed for each type of usable sensor), not user customisable.

All the SDM manuals that I'm aware, predate de "custom sensor" option (and other options), hence my previous posted request for updated manuals.

Thanks anyway.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1592 on: September 08, 2023, 10:25:26 pm »
Hi,

User defineable sensors were already integrated in the 2020 firmware update, last updated usermanual is from 2022...
Have they probably overlooked...again and agian.  ;)

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1593 on: September 08, 2023, 10:40:27 pm »
That may be the case for the SDM3065X manual since I didn't find a date on it, but for the latest SDM3045X manual the release date is 2016 and for the SDM3055 is 2014

Being the versions I'm aware:
SDM3045x_UserManual_UM06034-E01A
SDM3055x_UserManual_UM06035-E02A

And then detected an hint for the release date of the 3065 manual...  ^-^
From the link https ://siglentna.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2022/03/SDM3065X_Usermanual_E02B.pdf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1594 on: September 08, 2023, 10:43:24 pm »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1595 on: September 08, 2023, 10:54:23 pm »
The dates on that site seems to be upload dates, not the actual release dates of the user manuals, unless I'm missing something

SDM3045X - date on the site is 2019/06/12 but on the manual is 2016
SDM3055 - date on the site is 2019/06/12 but on the manual is 2014
SDM3065X - date on the site is 2022-03-29 and there's no release date on the manual

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1596 on: September 08, 2023, 10:59:00 pm »
The dates on that site seems to be upload dates, not the actual release dates of the user manuals, unless I'm missing something

SDM3045X - date on the site is 2019/06/12 but on the manual is 2016
SDM3055 - date on the site is 2019/06/12 but on the manual is 2014
SDM3065X - date on the site is 2022-03-29 and there's no release date on the manual
Product release dates.  ;)

The file date is when the revision was released/uploaded.
We can also identify revisions from 'E02A' etc.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1597 on: September 10, 2023, 08:51:30 pm »
I look tomorrow whether one can get it also without special entry in the manual.

Tried today, couldn´t get it working with a thermistor or a diode (1N4148).
Would be nice if siglent will update the usermanual with explanations how to configure the custom sensor.
Will contact siglent.eu and ask for it, maybe there is somewhere a app-note for it.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1598 on: September 11, 2023, 03:04:34 pm »
Has been forwarded...  8)

The following users thanked this post: Wrenches of Death

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1599 on: September 11, 2023, 03:28:40 pm »

Tried today, couldn´t get it working with a thermistor or a diode (1N4148).
Would be nice if siglent will update the usermanual with explanations how to configure the custom sensor.
Will contact siglent.eu and ask for it, maybe there is somewhere a app-note for it.

Yeah we looked into this awhile back and also couldn't figure out how this worked, thanks for pinging Siglent!

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf