Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1120475 times)

kanzler and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline azer

• Regular Contributor
Re: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?
« Reply #1250 on: December 15, 2016, 02:55:23 pm »
It's the bandwidth of the scope
00 = 70MHz
01 = 100MHz
02 = 200MHz
03 = 350MHz
05 = 500MHz
10 = 1000MHz

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1251 on: December 15, 2016, 05:11:40 pm »
I have a stock 500MHz, I keep watching here to make the big jump to the Ghz moon... so far no big news as I understand. Do you need high res pics of the 500Mhz front end? IMO no, in any case PM me I'll do my best to support you talented guys.
what I understood is that:
1) the boards for 100 - 500 Mhz are the same, 350/500 Mhz are just using some different capacitor/inductor values at the front end compared to the 100/200 Mhz boards.
Thus upgrade 100->200 and 350->500 Mhz can be done by software. 100/200 -> 350/500 Mhz will just need a few some parts replaced.
2) the 1 GHz board is indeed different (addl. relay etc.), thus an 'upgrade'  will not be possible (at least not an easy upgrade).
That is also my understanding, plus that the sampling rate is 5GSa/s compared to 4GSa/s, so I don't know if there is anything different beyond the AFE such as ADC, FPGA or ASIC speed grades.

One thing I had considered is whether or not the Teledyne relay is really required, or it can use the existing relays with some degradation to 1GHz. At the time we were looking at the part differences between the 100/200 and 350/500, I'm not aware of a full schematic being made, although I remember the question being asked among the interested parties. I can't remember if the Teledyne relay is an additional one, or a replacement of an existing relay. Either way, the boards are _definitely_ different, it's not just an unpopulated part. Trying to run bodge wires at this kind of frequency isn't going to end well, which is why I'm wondering if just running the existing relays out of spec and any appropriate L/C changes would be enough.

In the 3000A model the Teledyne relay is the big change to the PCB. They also one regular relay in a different location but the footprint is present on the 500 MHz and lower PCB's. Memset did try strapping his as a 1 GHz model but it didn't work because it couldn't find the relays properly. With some time spent it may be possible to jumper the existing relays to work with some degraded performance - and of course you need to change the LC networks. If the scopes didn't cost as much as they do I think it would be great to further experiment.
VE7FM

Offline Luminax

• Regular Contributor
    • Electronesk
« Reply #1252 on: December 16, 2016, 09:10:43 am »
00 = 70MHz
01 = 100MHz
02 = 200MHz
03 = 350MHz
05 = 500MHz
10 = 1000MHz

Ah, so mine would be 2014A => 100MHz
I think that would means that it can accurately, within 2% accuracy, measure up to 20MHz sinewave
What about square wave, though? I had dug up an old EXO3 CMOS oscillator with max 20MHz squarewave clock pulse and it seems the resulting waves are quite jagged... maybe I need more expensive probe... hmmm
Jack of all trade - Master of some... I hope...

Offline PioB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1253 on: December 16, 2016, 09:17:43 am »
00 = 70MHz
01 = 100MHz
02 = 200MHz
03 = 350MHz
05 = 500MHz
10 = 1000MHz

Ah, so mine would be 2014A => 100MHz
I think that would means that it can accurately, within 2% accuracy, measure up to 20MHz sinewave
What about square wave, though? I had dug up an old EXO3 CMOS oscillator with max 20MHz squarewave clock pulse and it seems the resulting waves are quite jagged... maybe I need more expensive probe... hmmm
That is the analog bandwidth,  tho. Check that vs x GSamples/second.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1254 on: December 16, 2016, 09:20:32 am »

I had dug up an old EXO3 CMOS oscillator with max 20MHz squarewave clock pulse and it seems the resulting waves are quite jagged... maybe I need more expensive probe... hmmm

How are you probing? You should pull off the clip probe, attach the ground spring clip, and probe directly on the chip (pin 4 for ground if it's the device I think you're using), and the pointy tip on the output to see anything sensible. If you're using the ~4 inch fly lead for grounding, it won't show nice edges.

Offline Luminax

• Regular Contributor
    • Electronesk
« Reply #1255 on: December 16, 2016, 10:21:15 am »
Yep pin 4 ground, and I've probed directly and still get some overshoot/undershoot...

The 200MHz version with digital enabled (MSOX) is almost double the price of what I currently have.... dayum...

That reminded me... the bandwidth is hardwired/board dependent was it?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1256 on: December 16, 2016, 11:39:41 am »
Yep pin 4 ground, and I've probed directly and still get some overshoot/undershoot...

The 200MHz version with digital enabled (MSOX) is almost double the price of what I currently have.... dayum...

If you can attach a screenshot we can see if it looks reasonable of not. It's never going to look perfect.

I believe that the 100MHz 2000 can be liberated to 200MHz in software, as can the MSO option, but I don't have any direct experience with the 2000.

Offline azer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1257 on: December 16, 2016, 01:21:27 pm »
No, you can measure 100MHz quite accurately as the sampling rate is much higher.
All of the 2000 series is 2GS/s, the 3000 (non T version) up to 500MHz is 4GS/s and the 3000 1GHz is 5GS/s

All the official options on the 2000 series can be upgraded with software with the fixes mentioned earlier in the thread. 3000 can be software upgraded to 500MHz, 1Ghz is hardware change.

Offline Luminax

• Regular Contributor
    • Electronesk
« Reply #1258 on: December 17, 2016, 12:09:13 pm »

If you can attach a screenshot we can see if it looks reasonable of not. It's never going to look perfect.

I believe that the 100MHz 2000 can be liberated to 200MHz in software, as can the MSO option, but I don't have any direct experience with the 2000.

I'll get a screenshot on monday.

No, you can measure 100MHz quite accurately as the sampling rate is much higher.
All of the 2000 series is 2GS/s, the 3000 (non T version) up to 500MHz is 4GS/s and the 3000 1GHz is 5GS/s

All the official options on the 2000 series can be upgraded with software with the fixes mentioned earlier in the thread. 3000 can be software upgraded to 500MHz, 1Ghz is hardware change.

I'll try to dig back into the thread, but do you happen to remember the options?

Also, isn't the bandwidth have somethi g to do with Frontline input bandwidth and what it's capable of responding to, as in slew rate, rise time, fall time etc etc?

Offline Luminax

• Regular Contributor
    • Electronesk
« Reply #1259 on: December 19, 2016, 09:53:00 am »
Man... it took me a full day to re-read the whole thread... awesome stuffs!

I've also dug up some old switches from a while back and mine have this :

189#\Secure\infiniiVision\infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l DIS -l MSO -l memMax -l MEMUP -l ADVMATH -l SGM -l SGMC -l AUTO -l COMP -l TOM -l EMBD -l VID -l COMP -l SCPIPS -l WAVEGEN -l MASK -l BW20

Unfortunately, no ADVMATH... hmmmmmm could it be an fpga hardcode or an entirely different beast altogether?

Anyway, seems like I don't need to further bandwidth upgrade anyway as 200MHz + 150Mhz probe seems to be quite sufficient for my current need.

Great work guys, thank you

Offline azer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1260 on: December 19, 2016, 01:13:06 pm »
ADVMATH seems to only be available on the 3000 series and up
What you get access to is generally what is available in the appbundle package (DSOX2APPBNDL)

Offline mlan

• Contributor
« Reply #1261 on: December 26, 2016, 03:55:49 pm »
I can't believe no one on this thread ever mentioned using '--perf' on a 2000. It works miracles! (sort of...)
The command line description is:
   --perf
     make entry like performance

In other words: make a 2000 behave like a 3000.
It has always been there in plain sight. It will not enable specific 3000 licenses though, but it does enable extra maths, triggers and stats, including overlay stats. Just like a 'vanilla' 3000.

The following users thanked this post: plesa, Andrew

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1262 on: December 26, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »
I can't believe no one on this thread ever mentioned using '--perf' on a 2000. It works miracles! (sort of...)
   --perf

It has always been there in plain sight. It will not enable specific 3000 licenses though, but it does enable extra maths, triggers and stats, including overlay stats. Just like a 'vanilla' 3000.

Thanks for post Christmas gift for 2000-X owners :-+

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1263 on: December 27, 2016, 02:13:51 am »
   --perf

Sounds good. Exactly where does that command go and what is the actual syntax?

Does it get added to the -l ALL etc string in the Startup infiniivision.lnk file or ?? i.e. do we end up with -l ALL -l PERF or ??

Does it work with 2.39 or is it version specific.

Few more details please...

thanks,
george.

Offline mlan

• Contributor
« Reply #1264 on: December 27, 2016, 02:51:39 am »
Sounds good. Exactly where does that command go and what is the actual syntax?

Does it get added to the -l ALL etc string in the Startup infiniivision.lnk file or ?? i.e. do we end up with -l ALL -l PERF or ??

Does it work with 2.39 or is it version specific.

The parameter is just  --perf  and can be appended to the command just like all the other parameters.
It is available in all versions.

When you manually execute   infiniivisionLauncher.exe --help   from the command line you will get a list of all available options.

There is also a  --4GSa  and  --5GSa  option, which might be interesting for the 3000.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1265 on: December 27, 2016, 03:05:58 am »
Ok, I've added --perf at the end of my infiniivision.lnk file (with correct count nnn#/usb/....

Boots as normal from my USB stick, but I don't see anything additional in my 2024A trigger menu or math menu.

This is v2.39 with all features 'enabled' in the lnk file.

cheers,
george.

Offline mlan

• Contributor
« Reply #1266 on: December 27, 2016, 03:20:42 am »
George,

Try to move the --perf to the front or remove all other parameters. I've heard before that some options don't work when appended to a long list. And double check your number before the #.

This should work:  -l MSO -l DIS --perf --forcemaxmem

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1267 on: December 27, 2016, 03:24:35 am »
:)

Just had the same exact thought and moved the --perf as the first option in the LNK file. All works now - EXCELLENT.

Have all the trigger features (runt etc), also the differentiate, integrate etc extra math stuff. Thanks much for finding the --perf option and posting to this thread. Much appreciated!

cheers,
george.

Offline Luminax

• Regular Contributor
    • Electronesk
« Reply #1268 on: December 27, 2016, 06:39:40 am »
Excellent!
I'm glad I'm the only one who use this scope

:-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #1269 on: December 27, 2016, 07:25:43 am »
I have a 3024T that I'd love to up to 500Mhz.
I will take pix of the board when I get back from holidays. I'm not at the level where I would be able to figure this out for myself, so I'd be relying on someone else taking the plunge first.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1270 on: December 28, 2016, 12:14:45 pm »
In case I'm not the last noob to join the party, hope to close the boobytrap.
Here is a refined procedure, see attached. No benefit for existing users, this is rather for newcomers, to prevent bricking with the dual link problem.
The readme file is updated, all credits for the method in general to user "memset".

I've split the procedure into an install CAB which moves away the factory link (if present) and copies the .lnk file from USB, and an uninstall CAB which removes the added .lnk and restores the original link, if one was present.
The supplied .lnk file should be a useful template on how to set all options:
Code: [Select]
121#\Secure\infiniiVision\infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l DIS -l MSO -l MEMUP -l SCPIPS -l CABLE -l SGMC -l FLEXC -l TOM -l BW20It's using "-l DIS" to enable most of them (instead of "-l all" which gives asterisk marks in the about box), then filling up the rest. You may want to edit your bandwidth at the end.

I've tested uninstall, install and more install to update on my 3014A. So far not tested on a 2000 series model, but according to previous postings that should work, too.
Use at your own risk, of course.

It works on my DSOX2002, thank you so much!  :-+

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
George,

Try to move the --perf to the front or remove all other parameters. I've heard before that some options don't work when appended to a long list. And double check your number before the #.

This should work:  -l MSO -l DIS --perf --forcemaxmem

Make me think what more could be 'hidden' on 2000 and 3000?

Thank you by the help!

Offline mlan

• Contributor

Make me think what more could be 'hidden' on 2000 and 3000?

Thank you by the help!

From the command line there are no more out-of-the-box real surprises.
InifiniivisionLaucher.exe --help  gives you a list of all the available switches.
But remember, almost all functionality is a software implementation, and the 2000 and 3000 software is identical... thus...
Even digital input selection for serial decoding should be possible, including I2S.
With a lot of perseverance, it should be possible to make the 2000 behave (almost) identical as the 3000, except for its obvious hardware limitations:
- 200MHz frontend
- no 50ohm input
- No probe detection
- 2GSa/s
- 50,000 waveforms/sec
- one ASIC (which halves the sample-rate, 8 digital inputs and 1Mpts memory depth)

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Even digital input selection for serial decoding should be possible, including I2S

Would really like that one - wouldn't need to have the PC and Logic on standby.

Offline mlan

• Contributor
Even digital input selection for serial decoding should be possible, including I2S

Would really like that one - wouldn't need to have the PC and Logic on standby.

Which FW version do you have? And are you able to patch it?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf