Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1120588 times)

charliex and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Because you really should be using a (HV)differential probe instead of defeating the grounding of your scope?
But since your primary work is with SMPS I guess you know that :)

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline dr.Bar-Mental

Sure I do.  :D

But due to Agilent decision to save some money on adjustable SmartProbe (tm) power supply for IfiniiVision models (it fixed to +/-5V), my beautiful HP1153A probe is collecting dust now...  >:(
At least till I finish this project - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/agilent-probe-interface-(-autoprobe-and-probe-id)/

I know, N2804A is an alternative but check the price!

And sometimes I have to troubleshoot some mixed signal systems where ground plane is not connected to Earth/chassis and shouldn't be connected. Isolation transformer helps but leaves opportunity for pushing up noise floor.

I've used TPS series from Tektronix before (battery powered) but Agilent X3000 series with PWR option is much better choice in my opinion.

Offline laserK

Hi everybody,

I started looking into my 4024A with Firmware 4.07. I can confirm that the TX/RX pins for the debug serial are identical to the 3000A series. From comparing boot sequences of a 3014A (FW 2.35) with this rather new 4024A I found that the option to stop the u-boot with space is gone. Pressing space will always bring you to the CE loader (the next loader after uboot). Option "u)" in the CE loader is supposed to bring you back to u-boot but doesn't work (see log below). It tries a soft and a hard reset, both seem to fail. I tried pressing "u" and a lot of spaces. Didn't help either. The only interesting thing so far has been that loading the second image in the CE loader brings you to some hidden firmware recovery tool stating that the firmware is corrupted and needs to be reloaded. I guess it's a fallback solution in case the first option doesn't boot.
It asks for a .agx or .ksx file. It would be interesting if a downgrade is possible this way. Does anyone have an older fw (<4.07) version for the 4000 series that he/she could PM me?

Code: [Select]
U-Boot 2010.03 (Oct 18 2011 - 14:28:06)Agilent P500

CPU:   SPEAr600
DRAM:  128 MiB
Flash: 512 KiB
NAND:  internal ecc 256 MiB

Debug serial initialized ........OK
RTC: 2017-3-11   19:20:23.24 UTC

Microsoft Windows CE Bootloader Common Library Version 1.4 Built May  7 2015 01:38:03
Microsoft Windows CE 6.0 Ethernet Bootloader for the Agilent P500 board
Adaptation performed by Agilent Technologies (c) 2008

P500 Boot Loader Configuration :

Mac address .......... (XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX)
Ip address ........... (192.168.1.175)
Subnet Mask address .. (255.255.255.0)
DHCP ................. (Enabled)
Boot delay (seconds).. (0)
Load image 1 at startup

Image addresses. (0xdxxxxxxx for NAND, 0x8xxxxxxx for RAM)
        1 (0xd0400000)
        2 (0xd4400000)

l) Load memory resident image Load image 1 now
1) Load memory resident image 1 now
2) Load memory resident image 2 now
3) Load memory resident image 3 now
d) Download from platform builder now
u) Start u-boot by resetting
v) Verify Images
>Soft reset of CPU
Soft reset failed. Trying HW reset.
HW reset failed.

P500 Boot Loader Configuration :

Mac address .......... (XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX)
Ip address ........... (192.168.1.175)
Subnet Mask address .. (255.255.255.0)
DHCP ................. (Enabled)
Boot delay (seconds).. (0)
Load image 1 at startup

Image addresses. (0xdxxxxxxx for NAND, 0x8xxxxxxx for RAM)
        1 (0xd0400000)
        2 (0xd4400000)

l) Load memory resident image Load image 1 now
1) Load memory resident image 1 now
2) Load memory resident image 2 now
3) Load memory resident image 3 now
d) Download from platform builder now
u) Start u-boot by resetting
v) Verify Images

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
BTW, is there the source code for u-boot for the scopes somewhere?
I have it, I think for the 2000/3000X series. No idea how I got it and it's 55MB so a bit hard to attach.

Thanks. Looks like you have it from here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-agilent-scopes/msg43179/?topicseen#msg43179

Interestingly there is a .git directory in it, too. It has a references to http://git.stlinux.com/spear/u-boot in the config file. Anyone tried to run Linux on it? This would be fun.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
This is my 1st tutorial about how to unlock the DSO-X 2002A based on simple method provided by TopLoser page 49 of the forum on 28 Sept 2016:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/1200/
I hope every new user can follow it and in 15min can understand how to do it without the frustration of “read back few pages, it is on the forum”.

https://goo.gl/E57hPM

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
After I applied the TopLoser’s method from tutorial above and from link below:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg1036134/#msg1036134

I noticed the problem with IP garbage and very slow communication with the scope.
I have a series of questions that maybe someone is willing to answer if knows the answer:
1)   Are any other methods to unlock the firmware 2.41 beside TopLoser’s method and the following:

memset:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg989285/#msg989285

mischo22:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg1001661/#msg1001661

[IDC]Dragon:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg1070250/#msg1070250

If there are any other methods on the forum that I skipped by mistake, could you please point to them with a link as I did above?

2)   Using other methods (not TopLoser’s method), as one of the 3 mentioned above, would that help to solve the IP garbage and very slow communication with the scope using the LNA card?

It seems the method presented by “mischo22” solves the problem.
Did anyone else test it?
What about the other methods? Do they solve the IP/LAN problem?

3)   How to get rid of the Warning message with Unfinalized software and all that bla bla bla?

It seems, in the beginning were 2 answers to that:
Jrgandara:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg324104/#msg324104

elektrinis:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg410709/#msg410709

Does anyone else tried to get rid of those warning messages with the firmware 2.41?
How should that be changed? Patching “infiniiVisionCore.dll”?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:30:11 pm by viki2000 »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
The lan solution suggested by mischo22 works great.
VE7FM

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
I would like to test the method presented by mischo22.

I have 2 questions:
1) At next steps:
     “3. Copy the file \program files\infiniivision\infiniivisioncore.dll to the usb stick
     4. Patch the dll at position 0x027C0E8. Change the bytes from "04 00 a0 e1" to "00 00 a0 e3"
     ”
     Do I need a HEX editor to do that?
     If yes, which one did you use?

2) At next step.
     “8. Create a link file with the following content and install the link with the LinkInstallerCab”

Where so I find LinkInstallerCab? Where can I find more info/procedure about how to install and uninstall/remove .lnk files with LinkInstallerCab?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
You can use any hex editor that will do the job.

I don't recommend the cab installer (had you read through all of the thread you'd know what it is) - just copy the file into place.

Do all of this carefully and only if you really need full LAN functionality - you don't want to brick the scope which can easily happen.

btw, I know there are many pages. It takes a long time to read through all of it - but then it should be worth it as you're getting features without paying for them.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: viki2000, Andrew

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
I was afraid I will hear that advice of reading back pages again and again, instead of direct answer.
I was afraid because I have read and I still do it. In fact I downloaded all the pages as pdf and I read offline and I search through it.
But that does not help sometimes. Maybe I do not know the words or I cannot make the connection between them.
That’s why I decided to make tutorials, like the one above, easy accessible for everyone new, understandable in max 15-20min, easy to follow step by step with pictures and video.
And if I succeed to apply mischo22 solution, then I will do a tutorial also for that, for beginners, to avoid bricking the scope if it is followed step by step.
I know it takes time; it took me hours to prepare the 1st one above, but it’s worth it. It seems nobody wants to do it, but rather give the advice “go back and read”. I want to change that for future new readers: my time of few hours once with your previous sweat of probably more hours before.
I want to see only one place, one post with one or more tutorials, which can be easy followed without going to read some pages back. I am willing to do that. I just need some short answers to some of the questions which are not very clear for me now, but for sure I will understand with a bit of help from your side.
Is it possible to have direct answers without reading back advice and knowing that I am ready to prepare an easy to follow tutorial for everyone else?
Is anyone upset if I do that? Happy? Doesn’t care?

For example, reading through and searching for words, from beginning of the thread, I could not find any reference to the “LinkInstallerCab”.
Is the “LinkInstallerCab” the same as “WinCE CAB Manager” or any other cab manager as for example “MSCEInf - CAB Analyzer”?
The name “LinkInstallerCab” is found only in one place of the thread and forum. What other name do you use for it? Are any examples how to use it? I would like to know more about it, especially the suggested procedure to install and uninstall/remove .lnk files.

And I am very thankful that you told me that actually I do not need to use it and is enough to just copy the file into place. I will try to follow that.
Nevertheless, it would be good for me to understand what mischo22 intended to say when he mentioned “LinkInstallerCab”.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, carl_lab

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
I have made a short video with half of the steps suggested by mischo22:
https://goo.gl/co62DQ

I did not change anything in my scope so far, until I understand everything what is happening.
I have a problem with step 8. from mischo22's method:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg1001661/#msg1001661
8. Create a link file with the following content and install the link with the LinkInstallerCab:
50#\windows\cmd.exe /c \Secure\startinfiniivision.cmd

My questions here are:
- Do I need to make the link file with the code above if I do not use the impossible to find LinkInstallerCab?
- If I make the link file with the code above, where do I place it? Again in the "\secure\"?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:56:00 am by viki2000 »

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
It seems that “LinkInstallerCab” that I did not understand is in fact “linkinstall.cab” made by memset here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg989285/#msg989285
At the end of his method is shown the place for the link file, similar with TopLoser method.
Therefore the link file with the following content:

50#\windows\cmd.exe /c \Secure\startinfiniivision.cmd
It should be placed in “\Secure\Startup\” and we do not need “LinkInstallerCab” for that. It is enough to copy it there with DOS commands using telnet.
Is that right?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:43:33 pm by viki2000 »

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
Yes, that is right.
The link file with the content:
50#\windows\cmd.exe /c \Secure\startinfiniivision.cmdmust be placed in “\Secure\Startup\” using simple copy command.

I successfully unlocked the scope using mischo22 method.
The LAN card works fine now, fast and showing the right IP address.
Before I started the unlocking procedure, I reverted back to locked state the already unlocked scope using TopLoser method. That was simple using telnet, just deleting “infiniivision.lnk” from “\secure\startup” and renaming the “infiniivision.xxx” to “infiniivision.lnk” using the dos command “ren infiniivision.xxx infiniivision.lnk ”. Then I restarted the scope and was like new from factory, without any licenses installed and without any warning messages. Then I started mischo22’s method and worked from 1st time if the steps were clear.
If I have time during the next days, I will make a tutorial with videos about it, step by step.

Because I started to play with that HEX editor when I patched the “infiniivisioncore.dll”, it seems the warning messages that we see are inside to that dll and in fact can be removed. Have a look at the screenshots below.

Has anyone tried to remove them?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:45:21 pm by viki2000 »

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
This is my 2nd tutorial about how to unlock the DSO-X 2002A based on the method provided by mischo22  page 43 of the forum on 11 August 2016:

I hope every new user can follow it and in 15min can understand how to do it without the frustration of “read back few pages, it is on the forum” and without bricking (making unusable) the oscilloscope.
This method solves the problem of the oscilloscope IP slow communication and garbage info that we may get with other methods.

https://goo.gl/DNfZdv

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
Here are few more comments from my side.
-   I am sorry if for experienced users I spoiled all the fun when you are prepared to reply “read back few pages”. If there are free solutions, then let them be free and easy to follow and not free and twisted, jumping back and forth in the forum as a bunny or a grasshopper. Obviously the new user/reader must read otherwise is in trouble and cannot perform the unlocking properly. But the words “read back few pages” became a generic answer, a status quo. Just think logical: the energy and the number of words used for direct answer would be many times the same, but still people prefer “read back few pages, it is on the forum”; unbelievable.
-   Let’s don’t laugh by the new users who do not know or understand how to do it or if by mistake they made their scope unusable. I am really glad that I see how certain users helped others which were in trouble and then the solution was posted. It is hard to follow, because is not organized properly, but at least good hints are there.
-   I will not make any further tutorials.
-   The initial method found by “memset” using only the USB stick is definitely nice for 3000 series oscilloscopes. Later “[IDC]Dragon” improved that method by adding an easier install/uninstall procedure also for the 2000 series oscilloscopes. These methods do not require LAN card. It is enough a USB stick, a proper one that must be tested by each user individually, but some tested brands and types/sizes are listed on the forum. I do not like these methods for a single reason: if something goes wrong when you prepare the files, then you must have the LAN card and use Telnet to correct the files inside the oscilloscope. That does not mean these methods do not work. It just means you have to be careful. I like always a safe method, especially if I do this hack only once, for one oscilloscope in my case. Therefore I decided for LAN card, a cheaper one and the proposed methods “TopLoser” and “mischo22” worked fine for me from 1st time. In fact TopLoser method seems that does the same as “memset” and “[IDC]Dragon” methods, only that TopLoser requires the LAN card. It just seemed safer for me than initial USB stick only method proposed by “memset” and “[IDC]Dragon”. That’s why I decided for LAN card approach and I will not try the USB stick only method and no further video tutorials.
-   I consider, may be subjective, TopLoser’s method the most simple one and mischo22’s method the most satisfactory one.
-   For the new readers, when you will read about “link file” it means a file with the extension “.lnk”, which usually refers to “infiniivision.lnk” file that is placed in the folder “\secure\startup” inside the oscilloscope with firmware version 2.41. You need the oscilloscope LAN card and Telnet client to access it. When you make new files with the content and extension required by the proposed solution, you always start with New Text file and then you paste in the required text/commands and after you save, then you change the extension .txt with the required one and obviously the name of the file.
-   When I logged into oscilloscope with telnet, in my case, the first attempt gave me always error, even if I did not input any wrong characters. It always asked me 2 times, I do not know why and I do not care too much, but it was so.
-   The nag screen text with all the warnings can be removed. In fact I did it for my scope, but I will not explain here how for a single reason: I dislike the idea of hack-sell the scope and I do not want simple users which will follow step by step my video tutorials to make money out of this by selling the scope without any warning message looking as a new original scope. Who is a bit smart can figure it out alone. But even if the warning messages are removed, anyone, meaning also the Keysight engineers can find out easy if it is a hacked oscilloscope or one with proper licenses.  It is easy, jut log into the oscilloscope with telnet and check some files, that’s all. So in the end it does not matter too much if the warning message is there or not, I did it only for curiosity.

I received that DSO-X 2002A for free couple of years ago and did not use it, almost at all, maybe 1-2 times per year. Was sitting on the shelf besides other instruments and is less likely that I will use it in future, maybe the digital port will be interesting to be tested, but on the summer time. I do not really need this oscilloscope. I made the unlocking only by curiosity, as technical change.
I have a better scope that I use more often, it is a higher class, Rigol DS4034 (price is half compared with Keysight 3000 series) and has a huge advantage over the Keysight: it has a memory of 140 Million points.
When we unlock the 100K to 1M for DSO-X 2002A, it is a joke compared with Rigol 140M.
This huge memory is a very important feature when we need longer capture time with high sampling rate. I use that for non-repetitive signals.
I never understand these guys from Agilent and LeCroy and Tektronik and Yokogawa…why they do not implement higher memory cheap, why they ask so much for it as upgrade when the memory today became so cheap? It is not a logical reason behind. The same was LeCroy and their hard drives. I worked with LeCroy several years and they could not answer why they use low capacity drives in the past, most probably economical/stock reason. I mean low capacity hard drive when SSD were common with higher capacity on the market? Anyway, it does not matter; it is just a money game. Look at your hardware. It is sold with a certain price and with that price Keysight makes profit; otherwise they will not sell it. And you do not have all the options activated maybe for the rest of your life, because you do not need them for example, but the box is sold, it is in your hands. First of all you need to realize that the box without options activated is anyway far higher price compared with the price at the factory gate, higher than you can imagine. Adidas made sport shoes with 6$ and sold with more than 60$. A new car have the price drastically reduced after is out of the factory, is considered already 2nd hand. With what do you think is different a digital oscilloscope? with nothing. Then, if anyone has a moral problem about hacking the scope to unlock its options, should think twice at the money game and what a price means and how the price is set on the market when they trade. Box in the hand, sold, payed and they ask more money for it? Where is their moral side and why do they hide behind a trade system?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:47:11 am by viki2000 »

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, cgroen, carl_lab

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
I have great sympathy with your posting.

However, many of your analogies and comparisons just don't work like that. An oscilloscope does not wear out the same way a car does. A shoe is much less complex than a scope. On top of that think of the volume at which a shoe or a car is manufactured compared to a scope. Why are science books so much more expensive than steamy romance novels...? Because they can? Because they must?

Similarly to memory...if they were using the same memory modules other industries are using (e.g. computers) then perhaps it could work. However, the system design of measurement acquisition is very different from computers. Perhaps that could be changed I don't know. I just think that there may very well be a reason why things are designed the way they are. I'm sure Keysight could drop an 8 GB DDR4 module onto the pcb of a scope. But would it be fast? Would it be useful?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:36:03 pm by Neganur »

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
Speaking about memory, how about 50% lower price and 7000% more memory when you compare Rigol 4000 series with Keysight 3000 series?
What magic memory uses Keysight compared with Rigol? And why Keysight should not use the same memory as Rigol?
Just go here and click “Compare Rigol”:
https://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/4000/

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
May i give you a counteroffer: search for my "Project Yaigol" post on this forum. Perhaps it will give you a different angle of view on rigol crap.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
What do you want me to say? The Rigol specs sure look nice on paper.

Perhaps it has something to do with the performance (speed among others) of the Keysight compared to the 4k Rigol. I think to recall the Rigol is really terribly slow when you enable MSO or math functions or longer memory.

I also believe that has something to do with how the memory is accessed in the scope (which is in the ASIC of Keysight's).

What's the waveform update rate of the Rigol at that memory depth anyway? ;)

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
What do you want me to say? The Rigol specs sure look nice on paper.

Perhaps it has something to do with the performance (speed among others) of the Keysight compared to the 4k Rigol. I think to recall the Rigol is really terribly slow when you enable MSO or math functions or longer memory.
I've worked with the Rigol scopes a long time, it is still funny to see the 4000's stutter on the display (watch the traces they pause momentarily even in roll mode). We've had a flood of users all saying how deep memory is the essential feature and they want Mpts in their low end scopes but almost complete silence on what they want to use it for, specmanship is a sport in its own and the rest of us evaluate the produce for our uses and then get on with work.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, GlowingGhoul

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
Because I started to play with that HEX editor when I patched the “infiniivisioncore.dll”, it seems the warning messages that we see are inside to that dll and in fact can be removed. Have a look at the screenshots below.

Has anyone tried to remove them?

Yes, I have done it and booted successfully without the warning message.
I might post it here when I have time.

I lost my job few month ago and made me very busy and have not finished updating the oscilloscope chart,
so please be patient.

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
Do I smell here a Rigol-Agilent debate?
This is not my intention. I am not a Rigol advocate, even if I use one and I consider it good for my type of measurements.
You understood me wrong. I have said: Rigol D4034 is a higher class than Agilent DSO-X 2002A, which is true. And then my focus was on memory size compared with overall price of the instrument. It still makes no sense for me to put so small RAM memory in DSO today, when you look at the price of memory on the market and compare it with overall price of the instrument and particularly how much each DSO company asks for memory upgrade; it is ridiculous. Besides that, the price of the instrument is totally unreal.
I will answer to each of you individually, but only once, because I am not going to change this thread about Agilent in a Rigol analysis, even if deviation with jokes seems that are allowed as long as are about Agilent/Keisight…

@ Someone
Hello Someone, I am someone that can answer to your question:
“We've had a flood of users all saying how deep memory is the essential feature and they want Mpts in their low end scopes but almost complete silence on what they want to use it for”
I need it and I used it for non-repetitive asymmetrical “long” time signals/events. More or less a DAQ with high speed digitizers would definitely fit better to such analysis, but they were too expensive and I need it once in a while, maybe couple up to several times per year, so occasionally and for the rest of time a simple DSO is just fine. In a previous job I had in my hands for 2 weeks a Yokogawa DL850E scopecorder which was quite good for what I needed, but was around 25K €, quite expensive, but 16 channels with continuous recording at 100MSa/s was good. We were almost ready to buy it together with other instruments, but some things changed in the company and the project of improving the lab stopped and later I left that company. In fact I wanted initially to transform a high end PC into s signal recorder by adding high speed digitizers and dedicated software. A second option was to use frame for digitizers from National Instruments, but the price with software and setup time came close to a ready-made system as the one from Yokogawa.
 I will not provide here full details of the application(s), but I will provide below setup examples.

@Neganur
I never said that overall Rigol is a better instrument than Agilent at the same class/band width.
My point was strictly realted to the memory.
My scope is not MSO, so I cannot say if it is terrible slowly. At math functions is still all right for what I need and I do not use them often. For such situations I prefer to export the waveform and analyze it external on PC with dedicated software. In the past I have worked several years with Lecroy Waverunner 6030a oscilloscope and I did the same even if the math functions were there and complex and not slowly.
“I also believe that has something to do with how the memory is accessed in the scope”.
You may be right, but perhaps Bud can help us more here.
“What's the waveform update rate of the Rigol at that memory depth anyway?”
That is not fair and not a good comparison to decide over the acquisition of the signal. Here it is why.
When you click compare Rigol on the next link: https://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/4000/ and you look at the >110K waveforms/s for Rigol (6.5K $) and then >1M waveforms/s for Agilent (11.7K $) then you conclude that is 9 times slower. How about Tektronix in the middle with the >280K waveforms/s (11.5K $)? Who is cheating here? Has Tektronix a slow memory, it is bad scope with high price? You cannot say that.
First of all, this parameter is not important for me at all.
Let’s picture it: you start the acquisition of the signal, lets’ say based on triggering event and not continuous roll mode: we suppose is continuous run and not on single. Then, when one screen is captured, or a segment of memory in case the memory is segmented, that signal is considered a waveform and then the next waveform is captured and we have many waveforms until the memory is full. This is more or less similar with frames in a video. What you show with the parameters above is the “frame rate” of the video, which I agree it may be very important in situations when in a repetitive signals comes once in a while a glitch, a noise, something abnormal and you want to detect it.  But this is not my case. This refers refresh rate of the waveforms, how fast are recorded and placed in memory the waveforms, but is not so important (at least not for me) as sampling rate for acquisition of one single waveform, especially when I set the oscilloscope on single acquisition mode. Just follow me few more sentences.
I do not know about your signals, but I work in the range 40Hz-100KHz with repetitive and non-repetitive signals, at which, sometimes/occasionally I detect signal event superimpose noise/pulses of max, 100MHz and even narrower pulses. The problem is that I need to see if these non-repetitive abnormalities of high frequency are maintained for longer period of time.
Here is the example: the time base is 10ms; Agilent DSO-X 2002A can have the sampling rate of 5Msa/s on normal run and 10Msa/s on single; Rigol can have 1Gsa/s sampling rate at 10ms time base.
The point is that there is a direct relation between sampling rate, the time base and the length of the memory of the scope.
As you go to longer time base settings, the sampling rate goes down from 2Gas/ or 4Ga/s to very low values only because there is not enough memory to store the sample.
How stupid is that when the memory is not so expensive today?
I know what you will say as the 1st thought, because I have heard it several times up to now: with the proper triggering setting, you can reduce the time base, increase the sampling rate and you will capture that event, which is true, because I have done that, but that does not show you how long time the non-repetitive abnormalities are maintained. It gives you only info about the signal/pulses in terms of peak, width and when are superimposed over the normal signal, like you know the volts or amperes with whatever values you need, but does not tell you how long time, because you cannot capture long time. And time means energy, which is an important parameter to evaluate how certain device behave or fail.
As you see, I need it on single, long time base, high sampling rate – from here deep memory, more or less as DAQ. For me this is an important feature for a DSO and just few months ago I had a debate over failures of certain devices from which we won 15K € compensations. They used this Agilent DSO-X 2002A and another LeCroy low end, low memory and I used Rigol. The 3rd party, manufacturer of the semiconductor used in the devices voted on our side as customer of the device with a written paper. Of course, the manufacturer of the device detected the abnormalities, not with Agilent, but with LeCroy in their R&D lab, but could not say too much about energy, duration of the pulses.
I am not saying a moment that Rigol is a better instrument than Agilent or LeCroy when we speak about overall design of the instrument and the components used inside, but deep memory is very good many times ( at least in my case) and should be implemented cheap.

@ Bud
I am really impressed about your work and your findings. I have only bravo and applause. It is a Master work.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-yaigol-fixing-rigol-scope-design-problems/

Since I have read your discoveries I have a nail in my stomach and thoughts flies trough my head: is my scope also with open PLL? How can rely on any signal acquisition/measurement? How bad is it?...

That is an R&D “crime”, “suicide” and should be addressed adequately with a market recall as Toyota did with their cars few years ago.
I bought our Rigol online few years ago from next website: http://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-DS4034.html

My panic increased when I have seen these days next offer:

Bandwidth upgrade for free!
Bandwidth upgrade for Rigol DS/MSO403X from 350 MHz up to 500 MHz, with a total value of € 2487.10 (incl. VAT)

All Options for free!
Get all options with a total value of € 3429,58 (incl. VAT) for free with the purchase of a new device. Offer valid until June 30th, 2017!

Suddenly came into my mind: do Rigol and/or distributors know about your PLL discovery and they try to get rid of the existing oscilloscope stock or is just because they found out that Rigol Option Key Codes are published free on different websites, including on this forum and nobody buys them anymore?

After adrenaline came to normal levels, my mind started asking questions, which I realize are for you:
1) You mentioned DS1000 was initially fund with problems and later based on your analysis DS2000, particularly DS2072A.
Do you know if DS4000, particularly DS4034 has the same PLL, the ADC clock and power supplies/regulator problems?

2) Can you publish the serial number of your DS2072A oscilloscope and maybe the manufacture date?
3) Did you try to speak/inform Rigol about your findings? If yes, did you get any answer?
4) How do we know if the problems are not related only with a certain oscilloscope series or production series/batch or maybe they have been just corrected in mean time?
I would like to know that and I would like to know if Rigol have made any official statement or they try to cover up everything.
I would like to contact them.
5) Could you tell us what RAM memory is inside to DS2072A?

Does anyone else found similar critical problems with their Rigol?
If yes, could you provide the model and serial number?
I almost forgot, we are on Agilent discussion, but I was caught by the fever of PLL open loop.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:50:30 am by viki2000 »

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, Andrew8086

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Do I smell here a Rigol-Agilent debate?

Ah come on, you brought up the comparison to the Rigol yourself. Asking what "magic memory" the Keysight uses that makes it so expensive.

The memory is inside an ASIC vs. something slower on the Rigol. I thought you had understood that by now, but apparently not since you ask the same question again.

Maybe this helps: http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5991-1024EN.pdf

I'm not interested in a pissing contest between scope brands either, sorry if the comments I threw in weren't actually spelling out what I meant: The Rigol is slow and sluggish due to many reasons, memory architecture being one of them. Consequently, the Rigol has a lower update rate with deep memory enabled. That's it.

Neither was my intention to say 1M wfm/s is the most important thing nor the best metric to measure scopes. But a consequence of the memory (and price) differences is due to this different design. (and really has nothing to do with it being fair or not)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:04:56 am by Neganur »

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
I am glad that you pointed to the pdf file above.
On the page 2, table from right side, bottom of the table. Think of one single waveform acquisition, scope set on single, time base 20ms, Agilent has only 2MS/s sampling rate at 4Mpts memory, while Rigol has 500MS/s sampling rate at 140Mpts memory.
Between samplings the ADC is blind and the points are shown only with interpolation.
Why is then the Rigol memory slow?
It is good enough.
The only problem is at waveforms/s, which is not important for me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:59:18 am by viki2000 »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
The only problem is at waveforms/s, which is not important for me.

Depends on your application for which you use the scope, but with higher waveform per second update rates you can see glitches which are not visible with other scopes. I think Dave compared a Rigol with a Agilent scope and demonstrated this feature, I tested it too on my Agilent:

Even if you don't need it and you measure something different, it is very useful if your scope can show you such glitches, and you can see it by accident before it gets a problem for a customer of your product. If you know what you are searching, you don't need it, as I demonstrated at the end of the video, you can just trigger on pulse width etc.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf