Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1120452 times)

kanzler and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline polizz7442

Sorry to post the same message as others, but I also cannot seem to find an active 2.65 FW link in the thread and I've been reading for a couple of hours. Would anyone happen to have it handy? I have a DSOx2K scope that was previously loaded with 2.5. Is the procedure just as simple as loading it onto the root of a USB still along with the lnk file? Thanks all.

Offline msuthar

• Contributor
Re: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?
« Reply #3251 on: February 02, 2024, 05:10:05 am »
After a very long time there is update on DSO X-2000 series oscilloscope firmware  2.66 is posted today

https://www.keysight.com/in/en/support/DSOX2004A/oscilloscope-70-mhz-4-analog-channels.html#drivers

brgds.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 06:55:20 am by msuthar »

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3252 on: February 02, 2024, 06:24:29 am »
Almost 3 years since the last update.  I wonder if we'll get an updated hack or if everyone has gone underground.

Release notes for 2.66:
"Enhancements for both 2000A and 3000A
- Added a new Trig Out mode – Trigger Source. The raw trigger signal from the
oscilloscope’s trigger circuit is output to Trig Out when Trigger Source is selected.
Bug Fixes for both 2000A and 3000A
- Fixed issue in which saving a PNG 24-bit image does not work after recalling a setup file.
- Fixed issue where the phase measurement is incorrect after recalling a setup file with
different source settings."

According to the manual, Trig Out is delayed by 30ns, so I wonder if this "enhancement" removes that delay or if they are referring to some other change.

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3253 on: February 04, 2024, 10:11:29 pm »
The delay seems to be slightly reduced (~5ns). Apart from that it doesn't output auto trigger events. This is a weirdly specific feature to add to a 12 year old DSO. Maybe a big customer (or someone inside Keysight) thought they really, really needed that for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 10:52:39 pm by switchabl »

The following users thanked this post: J-R

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3254 on: February 04, 2024, 10:39:33 pm »
The delay seems to be slightly reduced (~5ns). Apart from that it doesn't output auto trigger events. This is a weirdly specific feature to add to a 12 year old DSO. Maybe a big customer (or someone inside Keysight) thought they really, really needed that for some reason.
Good to know.  Seems that having a hacked scope is the better path for most folks.

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3255 on: February 04, 2024, 10:56:11 pm »
I played around with it some more. It does output every potential trigger event, even if the acquisition engine is not ready/not running. That's actually pretty interesting (but still very niche).

The following users thanked this post: J-R

Offline doombot1

« Reply #3256 on: February 08, 2024, 10:46:28 pm »
A while since I've made an EEVBlog post, but delved enough into what I'm about to describe that I figured anyone else with the same issue as me would really appreciate the documentation (I know I would've myself). Anyways... here goes.

I got an MSO-X 2012A scope from my uni 2 years ago that had the dreaded NAND corruption problem. Lights flash, screen stays blank, etc. Knowing my uni, the scope's FW had never been upgraded - and checking the working scopes in the labs, it was running the _original_ 1.10 firmware from Agilent.

So, on a whim, I figured I would give this thread a read-through, and ended up finding the famed titiris method. Took apart the scope, attached UART, et cetera. And to my absolute surprise, it worked! I loaded on 2.35 firmware directly, nothing in between and everything worked just fine. Loaded the cab file on at the end, and bingo! Working scope. Even though it's the 3000X firmware DSO firmware, it loaded onto my 2000X MSO. Still maintained the MSO license, too.  ;D And a quick FYI - for anyone who is looking to find SOME of the old firmwares - anything >= 2.37 (non-hacked), you can go to the link elsewhere in this thread - https://cal.equipment/doc/HP_Agilent_Keysight/DSOX/ - it will show you a 403 error - but if you put the same link into the Internet Archive/Wayback machine, you can still get to the firmwares! Haven't found anything newer than 2.37 though, unfortunately... if anyone's got a patched 2.65, send me a PM - that would be awesome ;)

...anyways. Here's where I got cocky. "Oh," I thought, "I've gotten this far - may as well try to hack the scope." So, I read a few more pages and saw someone had created a 2.41 cab file - and without _any_ thinking, I downloaded that and loaded it onto my scope. :palm: TERRIBLE idea. It bricked the scope - sent it into a boot loop. :-BROKE It would get to the point where it loaded the splash screen for 2.35 and then it would reboot. After reading a few more pages (like my impatient *** should've done beforehand), I realized that A. you need patched DLLs, and B. you can't just ...load 2.41 on top of 2.35. DUH! |O So I just figured "oh, well I'll just redo the titiris method." That didn't work. It'd send the file over YMODEM and then just... not boot off of the USB. I tried no less than 5 times. Waiting 45 minutes each time.

I gave up on it for a few days and was pretty frustrated - I'd gotten SO close, and yet, for nothing. But after a bit of stewing, I came back to it - I realized that I might've been able to use telnet to recover the scope. Not wanting to shell out for a LAN board, just in case it didn't work (and again... did I mention that I'm impatient?), I stuck wires into the pins of the header on the mainboard (using the schematics/pinout from the DSOXLAN schematics found from elsewhere in this thread). I tried once with standard breadboarding wires but those were too large, and although they fit, they didn't fit well and kinda goofed the connector up a bit. I tried again with logic probe tips, but again, too cramped. Came back to it the next day and realized ethernet cable wire is pretty thin, right? Well - turns out that 24 gauge solid-core ethernet wire works _perfect_ for this - stuck a bunch of those into the connector wires and BINGO! LAN!

(this is getting long, sorry in advance... it's just how I am)

LAN worked now - but the biggest issue now was, how the **** could I connect to it? Because the scope was stuck in a boot loop, I (connected to the UART in one window) could see that it initialized the LAN immediately before trying to load the infiniivision_ext.lnk file, and then would die very quickly. Enough time to get the telnet to connect but not to actually log in, let alone to kill infiniivisionLauncher.exe.
A stroke of genius had me write a quick AutoHotKey script to auto-type the entire username/password combo with just 2 key presses - and with that, I could just barely get logged onto the telnet before the scope looped again - but, even with a 3rd AHK macro for "processMgr.exe kill infiniivisionSetup.exe", the scope didn't have enough time to actually kill the process before hitting the fault and looping. After a LOT of toying around, I figured that maybe the .lnk file was bad? Or that if I renamed it, it wouldn't be able to call it, and therefore wouldn't try to run the faulted Launcher. So, doing one command at a time, with an incredible amount of patience (you have to open the telnet at just the right time for it to connect), I:
   1. Listed the files in \Secure\Startup
   2. Ran a `type` (MS equivalent of cat) on \Secure\Startup\infiniivision_ext.lnk - this showed me that it had the "hacked" commandline from the 2.41 I tried to load; the one with all of the options.
   3. Created a file `test.txt` in \Secure\Startup
   4. Filled `test.txt` with a new .lnk command - XX#\usb\Secure\Startup\infiniivision.lnk (can't recall what the number before the # was, unfortunately - I had to try a few) - note the \usb at the start, too.
   5. Renamed test.txt to `infiniivision.lnk`
After the rename, the scope used infiniivision.lnk instead of the _ext version - and would boot, load telnet, and presumably because the usb wasn't even plugged in, would try to execute a nonexistent program - which meant that instead of looping because of a fault, the scope would just hang. Which is fine - because now I could get into Telnet! And stay there!

From there, it was pretty simple. Kill the infiniivision launcher first - `processMgr.exe kill infiniivisionLauncher.exe` I loaded the firmware onto a thumb drive in the same folder structure described in titiris's post (2.35 - NOT 2.41 - mostly because I couldn't find 2.41) and then just put in the flash drive and manually executed `\usb\Secure\infiniiVision\infiniivisionlauncher.exe` in Telnet - and it worked!! The scope booted. Which was incredible! From there, it was as simple as changing the infiniivision.lnk file on the scope (\Secure\Startup\infiniivision.lnk) to include the proper link to boot from the scope's exe as normal, and then I just used the scope's GUI to flash the 2.35 firmware. Note that if `infiniivisionStartupOverride.txt` is present on the USB, the FW flash will fail - you need to remove that. And from there, all was well - scope works just fine, and I avoided having to send it to Keysight to get it fixed!

This isn't so much of a guide as it is an explanation of what I did wrong... but that said - I wrote this all out in the slim chance that someone else did an oopsie like I did and thinks they ruined their scope - and if so, hopefully this helps you fix it!! Good luck, and cheers!
P.S. Again... if anyone's got patched FW of any version >= 2.35, that would be awesome... PM me! I'm suddenly not overly afraid to try again - but I also will probably need more thorough instructions this time ;)

Offline doombot1

« Reply #3257 on: February 08, 2024, 10:47:31 pm »
Sorry to post the same message as others, but I also cannot seem to find an active 2.65 FW link in the thread and I've been reading for a couple of hours. Would anyone happen to have it handy? I have a DSOx2K scope that was previously loaded with 2.5. Is the procedure just as simple as loading it onto the root of a USB still along with the lnk file? Thanks all.
I've got the same question... is that all? Just load it on via USB as normal? Or is there _anything_ else that needs to be done? Can I load it right on top of 2.35 firmware?

Offline xlslope

« Reply #3258 on: February 21, 2024, 10:41:14 am »
If anyone could send me a PhillyFlyers's 3000T and 3000A's patched firmware and lnk,thanks a lot.
my e-mail addr is 502383998@qq.com.

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
« Reply #3259 on: February 21, 2024, 02:46:18 pm »
For the unpatched firmware you only need the  *.ksx file.
for the patched firmware you need a infiniivision.lnk file in usb root containing the "patch parameters" like this:
146#infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l MSO -l WAVEGEN --perf -l D2000AUTB -l D2000GENB -l D2000BDLB -l BW10 -l BW20 -l SCPIPS -l PLUS -l VID -l CABLE -l ASV
or a shorter version that should do more or less the same.
50#infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l all -l BW20 -l SCPIPS

The latest (last) patched firmware is '2000XSeries.02.65.20210307001_patched.ksx'

"If your oscilloscope’s software version is prior to 2.41, you will need to change the suffix of the upgrade file from .ksx to .cab."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 02:48:16 pm by LA7SJA »
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3260 on: February 28, 2024, 12:42:53 pm »
Fw. ver. 2.66 is out.
https://www.keysight.com/us/en/lib/software-detail/instrument-firmware-software/installing-infiniivision-2000-xseries-oscilloscope-firmware-2014479.html
- Fixed issue in which saving a PNG 24-bit image does not work after recalling a setup file.
- Fixed issue where the phase measurement is incorrect after recalling a setup file with
different source settings.
Release Date: 1 February 2024
Instrument software version: Revision 2.66
File Names: 2000XSeries.02.66.20240123001.ksx,3000XSeries.02.66.20240123001.ksx

Later edit - Sorry I did not see that the info was reported few posts above.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:37:30 pm by skander36 »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3261 on: February 28, 2024, 03:05:40 pm »

- Fixed issue where the phase measurement is incorrect after recalling a setup file with different source settings.

Thanks for the info..
Those were annoying problems, I am glad they got resolved.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline msuthar

• Contributor
DSO-X2004 with new firmware 2.66 with all features! it is still possible.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 07:57:08 pm by msuthar »

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
What is the method?

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
DSOX2000 and 3000 series are 13 years old now. They are like Fluke 89 now, LOL. Fluke 89IV was probably introduced in 2004, some 20 years ago.
I still do like my DSOX2002A, though. I bought it back in 2013. Nowadays I would probably buy a newer GW Instek, but I am not sure.

Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline msuthar

• Contributor
What is the method?

Old methods found in this forum

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
What is the method?

Old methods found in this forum
Multiple methods have been discussed going back over 10 years and 130+ forum pages.  Which one specifically did you use?

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
Presumably they patched infiniiVisionCore.dll in the WinCE image (manually). It is not exactly a secret that this is what all the more recent hacks do. You'd still need to find the correct offsets to patch for 2.66. There's probably not a step-by-step guide but I'm pretty sure there is enough information in this thread for someone with at least minimal reverse engineering experience to figure it out.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:39:15 pm by switchabl »

Offline dfw_ee

• Contributor
Hi, i've some news about unbrick the 4000A series..(maybe someone know that  :-+)
Inside the cab 7.31.2020012900 there is a special bin , named "recover.nk.bin.comp" you can decompress and than convert into  "recover.nb0". With that you can use teraterm and load with YMODEM and command "loady 0x0361000 115200"

With "go 0x00362000" starts one application that permit upolad a standard firmware and so on..

Now my request, I need an old firmware for the 4000A, can someone help me?
Online there is only 7.31.2020012900  :-\

Thanks for posting this info. My MSO-X 4054A would not boot up, It was hanging with only the "REF" button lit. I hooked up to the internal UART and saw the following:

CeDecompressFlashBlock failed
****** Data record 91 corrupted, ABORT!!! ******

So as expected it confirmed the corrupted flash. I utilized "recover.nb0" as you have above and was able to unbrick the scope. Happy to have it working again! Thanks!!

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Is my DSO-X 2002A the fastest in the world?    8)

Offline CNsam

• Contributor
I purchased a DSO-X 3034A from the university, but its situation doesn't seem very promising...
As shown in the picture, after the instrument is powered on, the screen lights up and is stuck on the 'welcome' interface, and the panel button lights flash alternately.
Can someone tell me what is the problem? what should I do? This is very important to me and I am very grateful for the help!ftp://

Offline maurit

• Contributor
Hi,
if you can't fix it I'm interested in buying it for spare parts.
Please reach me at : maurinot AT libero DOT it
Thanks.

Offline CNsam

• Contributor
I hope to restore him rather than sell him. I want the joy of successful repair :-// :(

Offline maurit

• Contributor
Hello,
I still have a few DSOX_Lan cards for the DSO-X 2000 and 3000 series.
You can see them by searching on ebay for
"Agilent Keysight DSOXLAN LAN module for the InfiniiVision 2000 and 3000 X-Series"

Offline maurit

• Contributor
Top View

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf