Author Topic: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus  (Read 1840793 times)

Offline guiasse

Re: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus
« Reply #3875 on: April 07, 2015, 10:24:41 am »
I have followed the tutorial on a MSO2072A it works perfectly. ;D My firmware is 3.03.sp1.
Thanks a lot for that ! That's a really nice work.

Gui

Offline milow

• Contributor
« Reply #3876 on: April 09, 2015, 02:18:23 pm »
For curiosity, I want to understand the details of these hacks, but this thread is huge. I've already read the first 40 pages and want to summarize only the technical details without all the chatter. Or just extract the relevant threads. Is there anyone else who want's to join me?

Dave92F1

« Reply #3877 on: April 09, 2015, 04:55:45 pm »
The DS2000 series has been out for a few years though, kinda concerned that a new model will be released in the not-too-distant future.

Does Rigol have an average/typical release cadence for new/replacement products?
The DS2000 is still one of their newer series. I'd be very surprised to see a replacement line before 2018 or so.

That's not to say there might not be a model introduced with some minor tweaks (like the change for DS2000 to DS2000A, which added the 50 ohm input, or the -S version with the AWG added - at extra cost).

But the DS2000 series is still extremely competitive, I'd expect Rigol to be working on other things - for example their DMMs are getting old (much older than the DS2000). Compare to the latest Siglent and Agilent...

Offline rpb1

« Reply #3878 on: April 10, 2015, 10:28:27 pm »
for my DS4024 I see options for enabling decoders.  However, are there known ways to increase BW? 

don't see discussion of that in the thread (I didn't read all 262 posts tho) and gotroot only shows non BW related option enablement.

will DSH9 "all options" also bump bandwidth? to what?

Offline electricMN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3879 on: April 14, 2015, 02:37:10 pm »
This worked for me: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol%27s-internal-i2c-bus/msg633003/#msg633003

I have an MSO2072A with firmware version 00.03.00 SP1 and hardware version 2.2.

I tried the USB port but it wouldn't work so I tried the LAN connection and that did the trick.  :)
When sending the commands using RigolBildschirmkopie.exe it said "There was an error when sending the SCPI command." but it worked anyway.
Looking at the installed options, it says I have both the 200MHz and the 300MHz options installed, along with all of the rest of the options.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #3880 on: April 16, 2015, 06:38:43 am »
This worked for me: [url]https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol%27s-internal-i2c-bus/msg633003/#msg633003[/url]

I have an MSO2072A with firmware version 00.03.00 SP1 and hardware version 2.2.

I tried the USB port but it wouldn't work so I tried the LAN connection and that did the trick.  :)
When sending the commands using RigolBildschirmkopie.exe it said "There was an error when sending the SCPI command." but it worked anyway.
Looking at the installed options, it says I have both the 200MHz and the 300MHz options installed, along with all of the rest of the options.

I can also confirm that this works great. Only tried LAN using "RigolBildschirmkopie", which I guess means RigolScreenshot?  :P

Brand new DS2072A from tequipment.

It came with:

Software version 00.03.01.00.04
Hardware version 1.0.2.0.2
FPGA Version:
  SPU: 04.00.09
  WPU: 01.01.03
  CCU: 12.29.00
  MCU: 00.06

Shows manufacturer date of Aug 4th, 2014 (I guess these have been in stock for a while?).

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3881 on: April 16, 2015, 09:16:55 am »
for my DS4024 I see options for enabling decoders.  However, are there known ways to increase BW? 

don't see discussion of that in the thread (I didn't read all 262 posts tho) and gotroot only shows non BW related option enablement.

will DSH9 "all options" also bump bandwidth? to what?

Cannot be done by option, you'll have to flash special adapted firmware for this purpose. Search for the link for the Rigol files and then for 2.01 from Mr. Krabs.  That'll release 500MHz bandwidth.

Gunb

Online H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3882 on: April 16, 2015, 09:56:33 am »
That (too) has changed, some 6 months ago.
See this post and the .pdf attached to it.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3883 on: April 16, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »
That (too) has changed, some 6 months ago.
See this post and the .pdf attached to it.

Thx guy! Did not follow the thread for a while.

Any idea how to unlock latest Ultra Power Analyzer?
Asks me for a key with 4 fields but generating it the same way as described shows that it does not work.

Seems that there's missing a character in the 1st and 3rd field.

Rgds
Gunb

Online H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3884 on: April 16, 2015, 08:29:11 pm »
Not sure I understand what you mean.
Is it missing a character in the 1st and 3rd field of the generated code or what?

Looking at the .pdf I'd try FAK9 which would be 500MHz, Power Analzer and all decoder options but no the MA option as I don't know what that is. Punching that into Riglol 1.03d gives me key containing 4 groups of 7 characters each. I didn't try it my scope though.

Apparently they've added support for 1553 bus decoding and triggering in the latest version, that's an option which isn't covered in the .pdf

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3885 on: April 16, 2015, 09:40:26 pm »
Not sure I understand what you mean.
Is it missing a character in the 1st and 3rd field of the generated code or what?

Exactly. You've understood me right.

Looking at the .pdf I'd try FAK9 which would be 500MHz, Power Analzer and all decoder options but no the MA option as I don't know what that is. Punching that into Riglol 1.03d gives me key containing 4 groups of 7 characters each. I didn't try it my scope though.

Exactly what I've done before. Exactly the same code I've used. Got also the 4 groups of 7 characters. Did not work. Tried a few times.

Is there a way to see which Ultra Power Version is used?

Offline electricMN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3886 on: April 16, 2015, 11:13:14 pm »
I can also confirm that this works great. Only tried LAN using "RigolBildschirmkopie", which I guess means RigolScreenshot?  :P

Brand new DS2072A from tequipment.

It came with:

Software version 00.03.01.00.04
Hardware version 1.0.2.0.2
FPGA Version:
  SPU: 04.00.09
  WPU: 01.01.03
  CCU: 12.29.00
  MCU: 00.06

Shows manufacturer date of Aug 4th, 2014 (I guess these have been in stock for a while?).

I requested the latest firmware from Rigol and installed it without loosing my options so that worked out well also.  ;)

Online H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3887 on: April 17, 2015, 05:14:58 am »
GunB,
I'm sorry, I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Firmware version?
And, just so there's no misunderstanding, I don't have the Power Analyzer option on mine either, all I did yesterday was verify that Riglol did in fact produce a 4x7 character key string - which you said you didn't get but now saying you did.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3888 on: April 17, 2015, 06:19:00 am »
GunB,
I'm sorry, I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Firmware version?
And, just so there's no misunderstanding, I don't have the Power Analyzer option on mine either, all I did yesterday was verify that Riglol did in fact produce a 4x7 character key string - which you said you didn't get but now saying you did.

Latest firmware, see
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso4000-and-ds4000-tests-bugs-firmware-questions-etc/255/

I got the 4x7 character key produced by Riglol but after installing Power Analyzer and starting the app it asks me for a 15 days trial or entering a key. After I've entered the produced key it says that it does not match.

I've related the missing characters to the fields of the Power Analyzer application where I could enter 8 instead of 7 characters in the 1st and 3rd field ot jump to the next field. Maybe that this is not important, I' don't know. Maybe they've simply changed the keys?

Kind rgds
Gunb

Online H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3889 on: April 17, 2015, 08:40:35 am »
So you're saying it's the key for the PC application and not the scopes option code you're talking about?
If that's the case then I'm not sure you can even use Riglol to generate a key, I would suspect not but who am I...
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know I currently don't have a need for the power analyzer so I'm not going to mess around with it.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3890 on: April 17, 2015, 09:54:44 am »
So you're saying it's the key for the PC application and not the scopes option code you're talking about?
If that's the case then I'm not sure you can even use Riglol to generate a key, I would suspect not but who am I...
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know I currently don't have a need for the power analyzer so I'm not going to mess around with it.

Yes.

The scope options I've enabled long ago but I switched back to the default 100MHz of the DS4012.
Yesterday I've tried the first time to go back to 500MHz after I've installed the latest firmware by using Ultra Sigma as described in the PDF you've attached. That works fine! Thank you for that.

Then I've thought to download Ultra Power Analyzer. Done so.

Ultra Power Analyzer can be set "online", which connects to the scope and identifies its serial number. Either the 15 days trial is working or a 4x7 key has to be entered. Thought you've meant that also. And when entering the key there likewise it replies with the message that it does not match.

Well, it's not so important but would be an interesting tool. I can't see any Power option on the scope as the other options like RS232, SPI,.... so I was thinking that the key would only make sense to be used with the PC application itself.

Kind rgds
Gunb

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3891 on: April 17, 2015, 02:32:07 pm »
I am wondering if the Power Analysis option for the Rigol scopes and the Power Analysis PC software are two unrelated things.  I can't see why there would need to be two separate (and presumably purchased) keys, one for the scope and the other for the PC software, to get PA running.  I would like to think that the PA option for the scope (once implemented) would be a self-contained  mode, and the PC software (I guess once tied to a specific scope) would just analyze data dumps from the scope memory.  :-//

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3892 on: April 17, 2015, 05:32:54 pm »
Any idea how to unlock latest Ultra Power Analyzer?
Asks me for a key with 4 fields but generating it the same way as described shows that it does not work.
Seems that there's missing a character in the 1st and 3rd field.
Gunb
You may wish to check the DS2000 UPA discussion Here

Hmm, that's where I've started. Does not help, or did I understand something wrong?

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3893 on: April 17, 2015, 05:38:45 pm »
I am wondering if the Power Analysis option for the Rigol scopes and the Power Analysis PC software are two unrelated things.  I can't see why there would need to be two separate (and presumably purchased) keys, one for the scope and the other for the PC software, to get PA running.  I would like to think that the PA option for the scope (once implemented) would be a self-contained  mode, and the PC software (I guess once tied to a specific scope) would just analyze data dumps from the scope memory.  :-//

That was my thinking, too.

That's why I've understood it that way, that the keys generated with the same characters as for the scope have to be used for unlocking the PC app, too.

The only possible answer for the question would be that the scope as well as the PC software have to be unlocked to communicate afterwards. But that would imply that both exchange the confirmation about the unlocked option.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3894 on: April 17, 2015, 06:07:09 pm »
 :-+

Well guys,

the key does not work, but I've checked the registry in between. Ultra Power follows the same concept as Ultra Spectrum for the DSA815 which I have got, too.
Under [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RIGOL Technologies, Inc\Ultra Sigma\Tools] there are 2 entries now which let me come to the conclusion, that after
15 days both can be reset with the registry hack used only for Ultra Spectrum before.
So I've set the date to the next month, and as expected Ultra Power asked me for the key to be activated. I've used the registry hack and voila - worked fine again!

So. there's a way for using Ultra Power unlimited as Ultra Spectrum before  :) :) :)

Rgds
Gunb

Online H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3895 on: April 18, 2015, 08:38:20 am »
I agree, why is there a need for a PC software key when you must have a scope with the PA option enabled connected to the PC in order to actually use the software?

Anyway, have you tried generating a key (for the PC) with somethig like AAJA or BAJA?

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #3896 on: April 29, 2015, 01:07:45 am »
I'm getting ready to do the U1105 Pin 7&8 hack on my DSA815-TG and while it's open I'd like to dump memory to look at things like has the serial changed? or would the same hacks that got the MSO1000's going work on the DSA815 with the 1.04 boot loader

Does anyone know which JTAG header I need to plug into and what I need to dump memory wise?
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #3897 on: April 29, 2015, 12:26:49 pm »
Does anyone know which JTAG header I need to plug into and what I need to dump memory wise?
You do not have to do a memory dump to see the current Serial Number.  Simply go to DSA System Info and compare the S/N here to the Rear Panel S/N Label.  They should be the same.
JTAG Connections:  Once you remove the DSA815's Rear Plastic Cover you will see the two connectors.  You will NOT have to remove the metal shield, just the rear plastic cover!  The upper connector is the 8 Pin 'SPI' Interface for VREF, and the lower connector is the 14 Pin (Blackfin) 'JTAG' Interface.
Do NOT connect Pin 7 (3.3 VDC) of the 'SPI' (8 Pin) Connector to Pin 1 of the (14 Pin) 'JTAG' connector.  It won't hurt anything, except the DSA815 will not initialize and Power up.
Reference this -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/spectrum-analyzer-rigol-dsa815/msg522376/#msg522376  for the Pin-out details.
Note: You may be able to use this application here ->  http://peter.dreisiebner.at/rigol-bildschirmkopie-lan/  without needing to go to the trouble of doing a JTAG Memory Dump.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:35:00 am by ted572 »

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #3898 on: April 30, 2015, 06:31:10 am »
By the way:  You do not have to do a memory dump to see the current Serial Number.  Simply go to DSA System Info and compare the S/N here to the Rear Panel S/N Label.  They should be the same.

I meant Private Key not serial number, sorry about that.

Thanks for the rest.  not sure how I missed the JTAG Header info in that thread
I think I also saw the range to dump in it and that it could be dump via SCPI
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #3899 on: May 24, 2015, 10:15:17 pm »
By the way:  You do not have to do a memory dump to see the current Serial Number.  Simply go to DSA System Info and compare the S/N here to the Rear Panel S/N Label.  They should be the same.

I meant Private Key not serial number, sorry about that.

Thanks for the rest.  not sure how I missed the JTAG Header info in that thread
I think I also saw the range to dump in it and that it could be dump via SCPI

Were you ever able to dump the memory via JTAG?

SCPI READ seems to not be implemented on my DSA815, or I am doing something wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf