Author Topic: Covid 19 virus  (Read 196711 times)

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Covid 19 virus
« Reply #1350 on: March 26, 2020, 04:15:55 pm »
imo - is that a picture money going into a fireplace? I'm not well versed on my German history.

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #1351 on: March 26, 2020, 04:20:55 pm »
Yes.
A loaf of bread in Berlin that cost around 160 Marks at the end of 1922 cost 200,000,000,000 Marks by late 1923.
By November 1923, the US dollar was worth 4,210,500,000,000 German marks.
There were 50 trillion Marks banknotes used in groceries to pay..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation_in_the_Weimar_Republic
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 04:50:20 pm by imo »

The following users thanked this post: Kasper

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1352 on: March 26, 2020, 04:25:08 pm »
this 101 years old boy now is immune to SARS-CoV-2  :)

https://translate.google.it/translate?hl=it&tab=wT&sl=it&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fbologna.repubblica.it%2Fcronaca%2F2020%2F03%2F26%2Fnews%2Fcoronavirus_guarisce_a_101_anni-252361069%2F%3Fref%3DRHPPTP-BH-I252189793-C12-P18-S11.4-T1

I'm happy he survived that.
I remember there has been another 101 years old chinese man who fully recovered a while ago.

The following users thanked this post: iMo

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1353 on: March 26, 2020, 04:39:05 pm »
this 101 years old boy now is immune to SARS-CoV-2  :)

https://translate.google.it/translate?hl=it&tab=wT&sl=it&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fbologna.repubblica.it%2Fcronaca%2F2020%2F03%2F26%2Fnews%2Fcoronavirus_guarisce_a_101_anni-252361069%2F%3Fref%3DRHPPTP-BH-I252189793-C12-P18-S11.4-T1

I'm happy he survived that.
I remember there has been another 101 years old chinese man who fully recovered a while ago.
Well good for him. It's a bit off-topic, but I wonder if the previous swine flu pandemic wasn't as bad, as it could've been because the virus was a strain of H1N1 which occurred back in 1918 and many of the old people either lived through, it as young children, or acquired immunity as babies suckling at their mothers' breasts?

Canadian govt has planned to give extra money to everyone with moderate to low income with kids and $2000 / month for 4 months to people who are out of work because of covid.

BC, Canada govt made new rule that tenants cant be evicted for not paying rent. They are also paying $500/month to landlords if their tenants say they are losing money because of covid.  Standard rent is $1000 - $2000 / month.

I think my neighbors had a small party yesterday to celebrate.

Neither my wife nor myself get any free covid money but we expect to pay more taxes soon.
Your neighbours were stupid throwing a party. It goes against everyone keeping their distance. If everyone did the same, it would spread much more. Hopefully most people have more sense.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 04:49:06 pm by Zero999 »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1354 on: March 26, 2020, 04:44:01 pm »
Your neighbours were stupid throwing a party. It goes against everyone keeping their distance. If everyone did the same, it would spread much more. Hopefully most people have more sense.

Hmm, let's see if Kasper can give more info, but don't get all worked up. Said neighbours may have had a small party between themselves without inviting anyone not living in their house. In this case, it's not going to spread anything more.

Zen. ::)

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1355 on: March 26, 2020, 04:52:11 pm »
Yes.
A loaf of bread in Berlin that cost around 160 Marks at the end of 1922 cost 200,000,000,000 Marks by late 1923.

Ouch.

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1356 on: March 26, 2020, 05:03:14 pm »
Yes.

Ouch.

G20 countries to inject 5 Trillion USD into the economy..  [CNN]

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1357 on: March 26, 2020, 05:06:31 pm »

Sure. Void money.

Anyway... some people were apparently claiming that Covid-19 crisis would have only a minor impact on economy.
A 5-trillion USD minor impact. That's almost pocket money indeed. :horse:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:12:35 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline Deni

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1358 on: March 26, 2020, 05:08:31 pm »
Yes, easily. He's an idiot.

OK, perhpas he is, perhaps he is not - the same applies to all of us. But there was another link which, unfortunately, is pure data - no opinion. As you obviously missed it, here it is again:

http://www.euromomo.eu/index.html

It's "mortality monitor" - organization that collects data about deceased persons for 20+ EU countries once per week and was established for the situation like thise - to detect
abnormal spikes in mortality rate. You can spot sinewave-like curve, where each winter "shakes up" 60+ generation, when the flu season starts. So far, no abnormalities (although data lag 1 week), even
some drop is visible. That's what I would like to understand or to be explained to me. Perhaps Swedes are doing right - running their lives, more or less, as before...?

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1359 on: March 26, 2020, 05:14:26 pm »

Hmm, let's see if Kasper can give more info, but don't get all worked up. Said neighbours may have had a small party between themselves without inviting anyone not living in their house. In this case, it's not going to spread anything more.

Hope is good in a time like this, that's why I included 'small' when I described their party.  Just a few visitors was my guess.  I was more focused on them being outside drinking, making noise all day.

I think some people have made it their lifetime goal to do as little work as possible and I fear they believe spreading covid will help them accomplish that goal.  I don't think many people would be so callous but I have seen a lot of justifications for people not doing their best.  Everything from, "flu kills more and no one cares about that so why should I care about this", to "suicide kills 800,000 and covid will only kill 80,000 and if I don't socialize, I'll kill myself so my therapist said it's ok to socialize and their ex is a surgeon", to "it only affects old people so why do I have to isolate, they should isolate".  These are the same people that complain their welfare doesn't pay well enough.  I try to be understanding, times are tough, people are trying to cope but some of this is just maddening and the govt giving extra money to people who seem to contribute the least is annoying.  That being said, I am glad they are giving money directly to people instead of giving it to banks and saying (falsely) it will trickle down.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1360 on: March 26, 2020, 05:25:11 pm »

Hope is good in a time like this, that's why I included 'small' when I described their party.  Just a few visitors was my guess.  I was more focused on them being outside drinking, making noise all day.

Ouch. If there was any visitor, then it's definitely bad. :--
Was being too optimistic here maybe.

I think some people have made it their lifetime goal to do as little work as possible and I fear they believe spreading covid will help them accomplish that goal.

There's a line between people happy to get some help in hard times, and people actively celebrating, or even making worse, a crisis that they think will help them become parasites.
I was again thinking of the former case - I hope I was more right than you are here, otherwise we're in big trouble...

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1361 on: March 26, 2020, 05:25:45 pm »

Sure. Void money.

Anyway... some people were apparently claiming that Covid-19 crisis would have only a minor impact on economy.
A 5-trillion USD minor impact. That's almost pocket money indeed. :horse:

5 trillion USD is not a big number world-wide actually (25% US GDP afaik), the problem is those money are from large part not covered by production - they are going to "print out banknotes".
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:08:07 pm by imo »

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1362 on: March 26, 2020, 05:27:19 pm »
There's a line between people happy to get some help in hard times, and people actively celebrating, or even making worse, a crisis that they think will help them become parasites.
I was again thinking of the former case - I hope I was more right than you are here, otherwise we're in big trouble...

To be clear, I said I fear it and I don't think many people would do it.

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1363 on: March 26, 2020, 05:36:46 pm »
It's "mortality monitor" - organization that collects data about deceased persons for 20+ EU countries once per week and was established for the situation like thise - to detect
abnormal spikes in mortality rate. You can spot sinewave-like curve, where each winter "shakes up" 60+ generation, when the flu season starts. So far, no abnormalities (although data lag 1 week), even
some drop is visible. That's what I would like to understand or to be explained to me. Perhaps Swedes are doing right - running their lives, more or less, as before...?

1) The week's delay is significant; shit started to really hit the fan in Europe just approximately a week ago. Look back at that monitor site in about two months from now.

2) The strong actions (finally) taken are very likely to help reduce the death toll. This argument is discussed to death, but here it goes: if you don't do anything, a lot of people die. If you do, and manage to prevent a lot of death, then you can't prove anymore that a lot of people would have been dead, so the argument that "everybody freaked out for no reason" will continue to live forever. This is stupid, as there is a lot of actual expert analysis on the severity of the virus - and the fact that practically all governments around the world except Sweden agree with said experts.

It appears, Sweden is currently the only nation in the world running this human experiment, but it is very likely to change, as well, likely in a few days from now. So finally, no one can really say how many would have died if no actions (or very small actions) would have been taken, because finally everyone are taking strong actions, believing they are limiting the death toll - and most likely, they are absolutely correct about it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:50:32 pm by Siwastaja »

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1364 on: March 26, 2020, 05:47:42 pm »
(...) because finally everyone are taking strong actions, believing they are limiting the death toll - and most likely, they are absolutely correct about it.

I don't think anyone can deny the effectiveness of confinement. It sure is a sudden and big disruption in both people's daily life and economy, but since virus spread is through human contact, I can't see how it would be possible that drastically limiting contacts would not drastically limit the spread.

Other actions, such as mass testing (when possible - which is currently not in most of Europe) are more debated, but I do think knowing is always better than not knowing to make the best decisions.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1365 on: March 26, 2020, 05:47:43 pm »
After spending an entire week at home and away from other people I fucked up today by going to the local post office to pay the phone bill without taking a mask....
can't you do that online?
Yeah, I probably could have but I was starting to climb the walls and wanted to check out the nearby supermarket as well to see what the stock levels were like. I was also out of fresh fruit and vegetables and had a mad craving for a big salad.   ::)
Imagine 9mil New Yorkers will do the same..  :scared:

No, the New Yorkers all all fleeing New York like rats leaving a sinking ship. A week ago there was only about 3 flights per day from New York to Florida but few days ago there were 196 flights. the number of people fleeing New York to go to Florida is increasing even faster than the virus. Do the math, 196 flights per day x an average of 250 passengers per flight.  The Florida governor is mad as hell about the number of untested people arriving here and has been trying to get the president to stop the flights but the airlines want the revenue and Trump is going to give them what they want. The airlines are going to ensure that the entire country is thoroughly infected but they'll have their blood money, er, revenue.

BTW I just looked at the numbers in the bailout bill that the US Congress just passed. Big Business, mostly the airlines, are getting a $500million bailout but the hospitals are only getting $100million.  :--

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1366 on: March 26, 2020, 05:56:12 pm »
I don't think anyone can deny the effectiveness of confinement. It sure is a sudden and big disruption in both people's daily life and economy, but since virus spread is through human contact, I can't see how it would be possible that drastically limiting contacts would not drastically limit the spread.

For you or me, or 99% of EEVblog forum participants, this is blatantly obvious. In large general public however, there are significant percentages of people who

1) Suffer from a mental block or a psychological condition of not being able to think rationally at all in such case. It's their defence mechanism,
2) Narcissist psychopaths who simply don't give a shit about the others,
3) Simply people who are too stupid to understand, stupid not being used here as a way to belittle, but as an actual description of their cognitive skills required to reach the conclusion you or I reach.

A certain amount of such people are going to repeat the mantra about how every government overreacted, no matter how bad the outcome is. The better the outcome is (by strong actions), the larger this group will be, I guess. This limits the government's response: they fear that what if they seem to "overreact", they lose their voter base. They want to actually see with their own eyes that yes, the experts are right.

Needless to say, enforcing the actions by the police/military are only needed because of these groups of people. This is why the Finnish strategy, "we only give suggestions and trust people follow them" is a catastrophe. Luckily, it seems this strategy is changing today: for the first time, we will have an actual restriction enforced by the police and military starting from tomorrow (the isolation of the hotspot capital city area).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:00:38 pm by Siwastaja »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1367 on: March 26, 2020, 06:00:08 pm »
If the UK does come out less scythed than other countries it will be parroted as the government did the right thing when in reality we just had the benefit of hindsight from other countries and and even stuffing that up acting a week late were a week ahead but with milder measures. We will see what today's numbers are but with limited testing we don't know the truth but current trends have not been rocketing with rates staying the same for a few days before increasing but the data is poor in my opinion and it's telling that they announce it as late as possible in the day.

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1368 on: March 26, 2020, 06:01:40 pm »
Yes, easily. He's an idiot.

OK, perhpas he is, perhaps he is not - the same applies to all of us. But there was another link which, unfortunately, is pure data - no opinion. As you obviously missed it, here it is again:

http://www.euromomo.eu/index.html

life expectancy usually constantly increases a bit, but:

Pooled estimates of all-cause mortality show, overall, normal expected levels in the participating countries; however, increased excess mortality is notable in Italy.

both data and other countries still lag behind
you have not realized yet that we are just still at the BEGINNING !!!
Italy luckily is on the right trend, but it will take yet a few more weeks to achieve a significant reduction both of new cases and deaths. Other countries are still climbing uphill at a fast pace.
Tomorrow US will become the first country in the world for cases figure (later for deaths).
During next week unfortunately other countries will get above Italy in this macabre rank.
Nothing to be happy about  :'(

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1369 on: March 26, 2020, 06:05:23 pm »
..   No, the New Yorkers all all fleeing New York like rats leaving a sinking ship.
White House calls for everybody leaving NY should go into 14 days quarantine, afaik.. :)

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1370 on: March 26, 2020, 06:11:24 pm »
After spending an entire week at home and away from other people I fucked up today by going to the local post office to pay the phone bill without taking a mask....
can't you do that online?
Yeah, I probably could have but I was starting to climb the walls and wanted to check out the nearby supermarket as well to see what the stock levels were like. I was also out of fresh fruit and vegetables and had a mad craving for a big salad.   ::)
Imagine 9mil New Yorkers will do the same..  :scared:

No, the New Yorkers all all fleeing New York like rats leaving a sinking ship. A week ago there was only about 3 flights per day from New York to Florida but few days ago there were 196 flights. the number of people fleeing New York to go to Florida is increasing even faster than the virus. Do the math, 196 flights per day x an average of 250 passengers per flight.  The Florida governor is mad as hell about the number of untested people arriving here and has been trying to get the president to stop the flights but the airlines want the revenue and Trump is going to give them what they want. The airlines are going to ensure that the entire country is thoroughly infected but they'll have their blood money, er, revenue.

BTW I just looked at the numbers in the bailout bill that the US Congress just passed. Big Business, mostly the airlines, are getting a $500million bailout but the hospitals are only getting $100million.  :--

Your concern should be directed to gov. Cuomo. Those numbers are Billions, not millions. Only 25B is for passenger airlines though with the same again available as loans for salaries, the 500B is mostly for loans to other businesses to stay in business and avoid firing people. Hospitals/staff get about 117B significantly MORE. Significant money for a multitude of other things but really pay attention to what's happening. We don't need people getting upset over perceived grievances that just aren't real. I'm more annoyed by them approving 25M for the politicians who still haven't even passed the bill. They say politicians and their families can't get money, but then make sure they get money. I'll add in researching some people are apparently mistaking that money as a raise and it's not. Not sure why people would assume it was.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/stimulus-package-details-coronavirus/index.html

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/whats-in-stimulus-package-coronavirus-149282
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:22:54 pm by maginnovision »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1371 on: March 26, 2020, 06:15:11 pm »
Needless to say, enforcing the actions by the police/military are only needed because of these groups of people. This is why the Finnish strategy, "we only give suggestions and trust people follow them" is a catastrophe.

I don't know a lot about Finland, but a bit about nordic countries in general, and I would have expected people there to be a lot more well behaved than this. But maybe it's just a small fraction of all people (but in that case, that would not be as significant a problem as it is?) Or maybe the Finnish are just obnoxious? Or something. :P

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1372 on: March 26, 2020, 06:17:45 pm »
@not1xor1: I don't know how much we can trust the published figures, but currently Italy has one of the highest death rate (deaths/total cases) with about 10%. This is gigantic.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1373 on: March 26, 2020, 06:19:21 pm »
Is there anywhere that shows data day to day country by country?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1374 on: March 26, 2020, 06:21:40 pm »
Is there anywhere that shows data day to day country by country?

Several, put that yesterday already: https://virusncov.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf