Author Topic: Covid 19 virus  (Read 196745 times)

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Covid 19 virus
« Reply #1425 on: March 27, 2020, 09:00:28 am »
  I'm considered high risk too but I still like my chances are better now than they will be in a couple of weeks.

People who get this virus deliberately should be charged with terrorism, attempted mass murder and buried or burnt alive!

I think there are 4 different cases:
1) deliberate spreaders and those should be treated as mass muders
2) people who think they can immunize themselves and then burden the health system with their case, really bad, but not terrorism
3) people who immunize themselves accepting all the risks restraining themselves from recurring to the hospital later
4) volunteer in one of those early vaccine test programs becoming an hero rather than a terrorist

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1426 on: March 27, 2020, 09:05:40 am »
People who get this virus deliberately should be charged with terrorism, attempted mass murder

Just a week ago that was essentially the UK's plan (have people catch it, not the charging bit), albeit in a limited random way. Amazing how quickly the situation changes, and how long ago a short time seems!

Source?

Mr Boris ? The times even wrote he was a hero, a Churchill or a Fabio Massimo of our epoch  :palm:
instead I always thought he was just an asshole playing Dr. Mengele   >:D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:08:48 am by not1xor1 »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1427 on: March 27, 2020, 09:10:46 am »
Source?

Boris: 'Herd immunity'.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: March 27, 2020, 09:22:09 am »
Fair enough, i didn't start watching the news about this until about a week ago.

I thought the hurd immunity thing was debunked as only a fleating suggestion, but reviewing the news from that time it seems he was actually serious until people pointed out just how many critical patients there would be.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #1429 on: March 27, 2020, 09:45:09 am »
https://news.expats.cz/coronavirus-in-the-czech-republic/experimental-drug-remdesivir-administered-to-first-czech-coronavirus-patient/

The patient's condition "improved significantly", he has been detached from the artificial blood circulation system [Czech TV today]

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #1430 on: March 27, 2020, 11:22:59 am »
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:25:09 am by BravoV »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1431 on: March 27, 2020, 11:37:04 am »
Brits PM Bojo got corvid19.

It's the first time he's done anything with a positive result.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: Andy Watson, not1xor1

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1432 on: March 27, 2020, 11:53:06 am »

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-boris-johnson-tests-positive-for-covid-19-11964493
I'm more worried about his mum. It was Mother's day Sunday last week in the UK. He told everyone to stay at home and not to see their mothers, if they can avoid it, but he seemed to imply he was going to see his mum anyway! I hope she's okay!

Politicians are a high risk group, probably just as much so or even more than medical staff, because they travel lots, meet many people and will not be taking the same precautions as doctors and nurses.

Offline Denby

« Reply #1433 on: March 27, 2020, 12:05:10 pm »
I wonder how's he doing his job while sick and isolated?

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1434 on: March 27, 2020, 12:46:03 pm »

It's the first time he's done anything with a positive result.

Now, now.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone except Trump.
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1435 on: March 27, 2020, 01:00:42 pm »
People who get this virus deliberately should be charged with terrorism, attempted mass murder

Just a week ago that was essentially the UK's plan (have people catch it, not the charging bit), albeit in a limited random way. Amazing how quickly the situation changes, and how long ago a short time seems!

Source?

The news? I watched a so called expert from the tropical medicine college in london advising the gov on channel 4 talking about herd immunity and how we would just get it gradually and all would be well while a programmer that had accurately modeled what would happen cradled his head in his hands in despair.

2 Days later the gov did what the programmer was advising is a massive U turn in everything but name!

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: March 27, 2020, 01:10:38 pm »
Now with (from what I've just seen) 958 cases and 5 deaths, things don't look that bad for Finland so far. Don't get me wrong, I'm not underestimating this, and I agree anything should be done to keep this under control, but from figures alone, I can at least slightly understand why some people there would still think it's relatively "mild".

It's just coming with a delay compared to south/middle European nations. The growth rate is approximately as bad as it was in Italy or Spain. (You need to multiply the Finnish numbers by 12 to compare with Italy, adjusting for the 5M versus 60M people.) - We are approximately 20 days behind Italy.

We had some 200 000 Finnish tourists (4% of the population!!), large part from Italy and Spain, come back home, completely bypassing quarantine procedures, any medical control, and without even getting proper information about the necessity of self-quarantine. The problem is, practically every plane have had at least one infected; then they went in full buses back home all over the country, visiting restaurants on the way. The media is now, correctly, looking for the responsible for this fiasco; and the government was just caught pants down lying to us that this was just an "information disconnect", while some documents leaked, showing the ministry of health actually preventing a planned operation by the local healthcare authorities. This is a huge reveal here right now.

Most of these people have came back during last two or three weeks, and are still coming.

The total failure of medical control has been discussed in media and by the politicians for over two weeks now, still the same mistakes continuing were reported still two days ago. Now it seems the leak has been fixed, and the control is working much better, but it took way too long.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:24:00 pm by Siwastaja »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: March 27, 2020, 01:34:10 pm »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1438 on: March 27, 2020, 01:46:02 pm »
People who get this virus deliberately should be charged with terrorism, attempted mass murder and buried or burnt alive!
Why?

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #1439 on: March 27, 2020, 01:49:51 pm »
I wonder till when people and media will be ready to watch and comment the counters with "Confirmed". The main counter (551k today) will "finish" at around 10% of Earth's population. It may take till Xmas when all successful with "flattening the curve".

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1440 on: March 27, 2020, 02:28:10 pm »
Why?
As long as they don't infect anyone else, I don't see the problem.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #1441 on: March 27, 2020, 02:31:24 pm »
I wonder till when people and media will be ready to watch and comment the counters with "Confirmed". The main counter (551k today) will "finish" at around 10% of Earth's population. It may take till Xmas when all successful with "flattening the curve".

Unless the world population has suddenly dropped to 5.5 million somehow, you might want to check your math.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1442 on: March 27, 2020, 03:09:20 pm »
Why?

Clearly you don't.  Go snort a few door handles and in a week or so, send us a few IMs from the queue for an ICU bed if you end up needing one.  When you get that bed, make sure and ask how many people died in the queue outside while you had it.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1443 on: March 27, 2020, 03:20:02 pm »
In BC, Canada we have group(s) ready to make the tough decisions (which of these people gets that ventilator) so the front line healthcare workers don't have to.

I think a live stream of that group would be a good way to convince people to try harder. I wonder if they'd wear executioner masks.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1444 on: March 27, 2020, 03:30:16 pm »
Politicians are a high risk group, probably just as much so or even more than medical staff, because they travel lots, meet many people and will not be taking the same precautions as doctors and nurses.

Of course! It should not come as a surprise that a significant number of them will be tested positive.

And for some (not you here, you refrained!), please cut the politics. Won't help the matter in any way.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1445 on: March 27, 2020, 03:34:12 pm »
Why?

Clearly you don't.  Go snort a few door handles and in a week or so, send us a few IMs from the queue for an ICU bed if you end up needing one.  When you get that bed, make sure and ask how many people died in the queue outside while you had it.

Probably fewer than if it happened anyway in a couple weeks. For me I could stay inside forever with my kids. However my wife can't, she's got to go back to work. Since I'm in the high risk of severe outcomes I may be one of the people who dies when there aren't enough beds. I'm sure you don't care but my wife and kids would. The only good thing is they're young enough they'd forget about me in a few years.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:37:13 pm by maginnovision »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1446 on: March 27, 2020, 03:43:25 pm »
I really don't see anything in those comments that justifies you ...

Whereas I did quite easily.

Perhaps the better way to comment would have been to ask which bit he took exception to rather than just saying he's wrong and compounding the issue? :)

In this case it's not the individual facts so there's nothing to pick out; it's the tone of the whole thing. We need more light and less heat, by all means challenge people's facts or reasoning but general swipes at people because you don't like them, or what they have to say, aren't helpful. This fellow's attitude has been one ranging from passive aggressive to taking veiled swipes at anybody who might have brought any intelligence, informed background or actual domain expertise to the discussion. You've just managed to challenge one of my comments politely and without any personal attacks, I'm just asking that he does the same.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1447 on: March 27, 2020, 04:08:15 pm »
  I'm considered high risk too but I still like my chances are better now than they will be in a couple of weeks.

What should be the penalty for advocating torture to death which is essentially what you're doing?

I can quite understand the attitude of someone who thinks that their personal risk profile for this disease is low and wants to get it over with. Sitting around waiting for this is like seeing the Sword of Damocles  dangling over your head or waiting in the dentist's chair for the bastard to get on with it and actually pull that tooth. I'm in a high risk group, I'm 60 and I have asthma - this disease is literately an existential threat to me - but even I can feel some of that desire to "have it done and over with". Just because someone expresses that does not mean that they have a longing to catch it and become a Typhoid Mary spreading it about left right and centre or behave in any other way irresponsibly. Someone expressing their thoughts and fears is not an acceptable reason for advocating burning people to death.

Perhaps we should ship a small field hospital and some instant barracks to Gruinard Island and let folks like Maginnovision and Stray Electron go to the 'leper colony' thus created to deliberately catch it, on the understanding that, once recovered, they have to come back and volunteer for the jobs that need doing by people with immunity for a set period of time as payment for the dubious privilege of being allowed to deliberately catch it while offering safety to others from their infected selves.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1448 on: March 27, 2020, 04:11:15 pm »
[...]  This fellow's attitude has been one ranging from passive aggressive to taking veiled swipes at anybody who might have brought any intelligence, informed background or actual domain expertise to the discussion.  [...]

Welcome to the Internet!    ;)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1449 on: March 27, 2020, 04:20:50 pm »
Fair enough, i didn't start watching the news about this until about a week ago.

I thought the hurd immunity thing was debunked as only a fleating suggestion, but reviewing the news from that time it seems he was actually serious until people pointed out just how many critical patients there would be.

Herd immunity, not hurd immunity. It's a real thing, a recognised epidemiological phenomenon and ultimately it will be the thing that defeats this epidemic, whether it's herd immunity induced by vaccination or herd immunity induced by the natural course of the disease without vaccination. The problem with the latter is that it will leave a lot of bodies in its wake, the former hopefully not.

It's worth noting that all the delay in creating a vaccine is not the basic 'make a vaccine' bit - candidate vaccines exist now, it's all the testing to ensure that the vaccine isn't as dangerous as the disease. Don't forget that vaccination is only safe because we do a lot of safety testing nowadays and that, even with that, otherwise safe vaccinations do in very rare cases cause more harm than good.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf