Author Topic: Covid 19 virus  (Read 196735 times)

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
Re: Covid 19 virus
« Reply #1600 on: March 29, 2020, 02:48:05 pm »
Everyone will try to postpone drastic actions until they run out of other options. Nobody wants to risk their arse calling Wolf. Either way they will be roasted by media. For wasting money or lives.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1601 on: March 29, 2020, 02:53:51 pm »
Everyone will try to postpone drastic actions until they run out of other options. Nobody wants to risk their arse calling Wolf. Either way they will be roasted by media. For wasting money or lives.

Agreed. This is a very tough kind of decision to make. And we have no sure way of predicting for sure how a given virus will act and spread until it has already done so significantly - by definition, acting early would be acting on non-significant data, which no one would really agree with. It's easy to agree with early actions when it's way past early. It's not when we have little inconclusive data.

Sure some countries have waited for too long even when we started to have significant data, but it's obvious we're always going to lag by a few weeks with viruses like this. Otherwise we would end up taking drastic measures every time  people start sneezing in the streets.

Always easy to say what should have been done, rarely easy to say what should *be* done.

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1602 on: March 29, 2020, 03:24:05 pm »

Here, if the goverment is the left-wing , the media always give them pomade, when the goverment is the right-wing give them sticks. Recently, all the culprit of the management of the COVID is by the Popular Party  when they aren't in the goverment since 2018.  Literally, give disgust  to watch the TV, it seems goverment pamphlet to style of the NO-DO*.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-Do

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #1603 on: March 29, 2020, 03:42:09 pm »
I wonder how many fake PPEs governments are purchasing for big money..

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/29/netherlands-recalls-hundreds-of-thousands-of-defective-chinese-face-masks

80% of test kits from China show false results
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3903937
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:18:32 pm by imo »

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #1604 on: March 29, 2020, 04:43:49 pm »
I am lucky to live near the black forest in Germany. A river with green shores passes about 200m from our office and we can walk the dog for hours without meeting anybody. Absolutely no reason to complain. When i walk within our town for half an hour, i see 3 or 4 other persons, mostly walking dogs. Of course it depends on the weather.

In Serbia they are setting up "concentration camps" for those tested positive, because they already know people won't obey to any government orders.
Let's not stop breathing due to fear and don't eat to much..

Regards, Dieter

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1605 on: March 29, 2020, 05:19:20 pm »

Agreed. This is a very tough kind of decision to make. And we have no sure way of predicting for sure how a given virus will act and spread until it has already done so significantly - by definition, acting early would be acting on non-significant data, which no one would really agree with. It's easy to agree with early actions when it's way past early. It's not when we have little inconclusive data.

Sure some countries have waited for too long even when we started to have significant data, but it's obvious we're always going to lag by a few weeks with viruses like this. Otherwise we would end up taking drastic measures every time  people start sneezing in the streets.

Always easy to say what should have been done, rarely easy to say what should *be* done.

You know, in general I would tend to agree but in this case...
Didn't our politician see what had happened in China? Even with all the mistrust for a totalitarian regime with a Great Firewall designed to prevent the spread of 'undesired' ideas, the data on the industrial production was there for all to see. But after that, didn't they see what happened to Italy?
And after that, didn't the see what happened to Spain?
And after that...

It is true that this is a very serious problem with no painless solution, but the math is pretty clear and is known to experts in math and epidemiology. To avoid a catastrophic spread of a highly contagious virus with no vaccine in sight you need to act fast on social distancing. Se for example the latest videos by Tom Rocks Maths on YT, it explains it very well.

Instead, every Country is looking at the demise of their neighbors, possibly trying to take advantage of their economic downfall, instead of deploying measures to prevent this mutual exploitation. Hollywood will make "The Big short 2", and everybody will wonder why it was allowed to happen - again.
(all of this in addition to the loss of jobs and company foreclosure due to the lockdown).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:21:15 pm by Sredni »
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1606 on: March 29, 2020, 05:46:41 pm »
I am lucky to live near the black forest in Germany. A river with green shores passes about 200m from our office and we can walk the dog for hours without meeting anybody. Absolutely no reason to complain.

You are lucky.

Over here, getting out for just exercising is now restricted to 1 hour and 1 km max. from your house. For people living in urban areas, that's basically just going around your block or something. And except for disabled people, in 1 hour you're going to pretty much run in circles several times in a radius of 1 km. Sweet.

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1607 on: March 29, 2020, 06:06:15 pm »
Instead, every Country is looking at the demise of their neighbors, possibly trying to take advantage of their economic downfall, instead of deploying measures to prevent this mutual exploitation. Hollywood will make "The Big short 2", and everybody will wonder why it was allowed to happen - again.
(all of this in addition to the loss of jobs and company foreclosure due to the lockdown).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=ArrKjxCeNHY&feature=emb_logo
I agree with and thank Mr Costa

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1608 on: March 29, 2020, 06:15:13 pm »
Instead, every Country is looking at the demise of their neighbors, possibly trying to take advantage of their economic downfall, instead of deploying measures to prevent this mutual exploitation.

I don't know if that's entirely true, but the situation is still enlightening. Just look at how we manage the crisis on a european level? Looks like every country is trying to fight on their own, even getting help from chinese doctors. Where's the EU? Where's the unity? Where is the european collaboration? Are EU members currently better off than the others helping the latter in any way? I dunno. I may have missed something, but lately, the only time I've heard from the EU was because of this stupid comment from a representative that drove Huawei off. That sounds certainly helpful. ::)

The following users thanked this post: Marck

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1609 on: March 29, 2020, 06:16:35 pm »
I am lucky to live near the black forest in Germany. A river with green shores passes about 200m from our office and we can walk the dog for hours without meeting anybody. Absolutely no reason to complain.

You are lucky.

Over here, getting out for just exercising is now restricted to 1 hour and 1 km max. from your house. For people living in urban areas, that's basically just going around your block or something. And except for disabled people, in 1 hour you're going to pretty much run in circles several times in a radius of 1 km. Sweet.

Really, i don't understand the people that can't stay in home during a month without turning themselves crazy. I am a fortunate person  because  i live in a chalet with a forest at front.
I don't know what they would do  if they would be in submarine.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1610 on: March 29, 2020, 06:20:46 pm »
I don't know if that's entirely true, but the situation is still enlightening. Just look at how we manage the crisis on a european level? Looks like every country is trying to fight on their own, even getting help from chinese doctors. Where's the EU? Where's the unity? Where is the european collaboration? Are EU members currently better off than the others helping the latter in any way? I dunno. I may have missed something, but lately, the only time I've heard from the EU was because of this stupid comment from a representative that drove Huawei off. That sounds certainly helpful. ::)
There is a lot of coordination and cooperation going on, especially when it concerns medical matters. Few people are interested in making a PR show out of it right now.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1611 on: March 29, 2020, 06:24:57 pm »
Really, i don't understand the people that can't stay in home during a month without turning themselves crazy. I am a fortunate person  because  i live in a chalet with a forest at front.
Many people seem horrified to be alone with themselves or their thoughts. Every minute needs to be filled with distractions. When those distractions are gone they may not like what they find.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1612 on: March 29, 2020, 07:14:15 pm »
Many people seem horrified to be alone with themselves or their thoughts. Every minute needs to be filled with distractions. When those distractions are gone they may not like what they find.
There are many people of the opposite kind, they feel well mostly stay home in normal times, so this quarantine is not a big  deal to them.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Kilrah

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1613 on: March 29, 2020, 07:44:36 pm »
Where's the EU? Where's the unity? Where is the european collaboration?

Germany helps by flying in and treating seriously ill people from France and Italy.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1614 on: March 29, 2020, 07:50:15 pm »
??? How many Italians out of those hundreds of ones dying every day the Germans "fly in" ?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1615 on: March 29, 2020, 08:04:51 pm »
https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/03/28/ocr-issues-bulletin-on-civil-rights-laws-and-hipaa-flexibilities-that-apply-during-the-covid-19-emergency.html

No triage allowed? Sort of. Makes it a bit more first come first serve since older people will need more help as a function of age.
Today, the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at the U.S Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is issuing a bulletin to ensure that entities covered by civil rights authorities keep in mind their obligations under laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, and exercise of conscience and religion in HHS-funded programs, including in the provision of health care services during COVID-19.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:08:51 pm by maginnovision »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1616 on: March 29, 2020, 08:15:57 pm »
There are many people of the opposite kind, they feel well mostly stay home in normal times, so this quarantine is not a big  deal to them.
I don't think those are the people vodka was writing about.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1617 on: March 29, 2020, 10:07:06 pm »
No triage allowed?

My strictly non-emotional head says that if there has to be a choice, the one most likely to survive should get the goodies. I guess that in many cases, that would mean the old being discarded, and that would sure look like discrimination. Certainly wouldn't want to be the one making that choice (actually, wouldn't want to be making any choice along those lines).

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
COVID-19 Current Situation - 28 Mar 2020
« Reply #1618 on: March 29, 2020, 10:10:14 pm »
Since often a picture truly is worth a thousand words, I post these for reflective comparison.
I will likely update some subset of graphs once per week as the various trends become apparent.
Currently the situation in Spain appears to be the most urgently dire.

Data is taken from JHU CSEE (https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19)

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1619 on: March 29, 2020, 10:24:04 pm »
Remove the text and you could be looking at climate change graphs. Except for China. Although if China could work that one for climate change things could be very different!

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1620 on: March 29, 2020, 10:40:43 pm »
My strictly non-emotional head says that if there has to be a choice, the one most likely to survive should get the goodies. I guess that in many cases, that would mean the old being discarded, and that would sure look like discrimination. Certainly wouldn't want to be the one making that choice (actually, wouldn't want to be making any choice along those lines).
It's a bit insulting to think doctors wouldn't do everything and anything to avoid having to make those choices and wouldn't optimize their resources as far as they humanly can. Triage isn't a choice but a necessity, if and when it comes to that.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1621 on: March 29, 2020, 10:48:27 pm »
It's a bit insulting to think doctors wouldn't do everything and anything to avoid having to make those choices

Yes, it would be insulting to think that, which is why I didn't imply that or say that in any way. I'm surprised you did.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1622 on: March 29, 2020, 10:53:24 pm »
Well the forecast in the US is 100-200K deaths and millions infected. May not be an issue everywhere but the experts seem to think it will be an issue in many places. Looking at new York de Blasio kept telling people don't worry(go to bars, restaurants, theaters, hang out) before finally shutting down the 15th. New York will probably be the worst hit city in the world in all metrics.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/03/28/de-blasios-coronavirus-crisis-1269480

No triage allowed?

I agree. I just hope the vultures don't come out after combing through reports to find people to sue.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:04:44 pm by maginnovision »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1623 on: March 29, 2020, 11:24:43 pm »
Yes, it would be insulting to think that, which is why I didn't imply that or say that in any way. I'm surprised you did.
I didn't. The original OCR release linked appears to do so.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1624 on: March 29, 2020, 11:29:26 pm »
Well the forecast in the US is 100-200K deaths and millions infected. May not be an issue everywhere but the experts seem to think it will be an issue in many places. Looking at new York de Blasio kept telling people don't worry(go to bars, restaurants, theaters, hang out) before finally shutting down the 15th. New York will probably be the worst hit city in the world in all metrics.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/03/28/de-blasios-coronavirus-crisis-1269480

I agree. I just hope the vultures don't come out after combing through reports to find people to sue.
Apparently Brazil's Bolsonaro doesn't believe he should be taking measures so Brazil may become New York on a massive scale.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52080830

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf