Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 169713 times)

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #550 on: December 06, 2019, 10:06:05 pm »
Did you change the hard drive and/or IDE cable? Your symptoms look like the hard drive or the cable between the motherboard and hard drive is bad. Another suspect is the memory.

The original hd has a serious case of the clicking death... That's why I have to reinstall.
I attached a 500gb hd on the sata1 port. When I used an alternative cd drive, I attached that one on the sata1 just to see if I would get anything. I do not have another IDE cd drive. I would have another IDE hd to test but I dont see how that would help at this stage.

Maybe I burn another set of xp cds.

However I find it strange that with the original IDE cd drive, the win xp setup fails without any error at all (new never opened disks) and the win 2000 installation at least reports an error...

Strange. Windows. I love it ^^

despite the hdd being noisy and about to die, does the scope boot and work with that hard drive? if it does, just make an image on a ssd
you need to back up and transfer your cal data from D drive anyways, I think.

Hmm it clicked loudly and did not boot. So I assumend it was dead. I have to grab an IDE converter tomorrow and see if my pc can get anything.

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #551 on: December 06, 2019, 11:59:56 pm »
So... I installed the chipset and lan drivers from here: https://drivers.eu/Mainboards/INTEL/D865GLC since they are not available elswhere.
Then I installed the XStream-DSO Drives and the XStream software for XP from here: https://teledynelecroy.com/support/softwaredownload/documents.aspx?sc=17 by selecting the DDA-3xxx dda-5xxx option corresponding to my DDA-5005.

The problem is that there seems to be a missing file in the XStreamDrive installation, more specifically the "Multifunction Device" is not found (see picture).
Then when I start XStream it says no hardware detected, not allowed to run...

Edit: I Did a complete reinstallation. The "Multifunction Device" is still not found but it is allowed to run now. However, it is in a kind of demo mode with demo waveforms. The serial number is also not correct.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 01:36:10 am by sixtimesseven »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #552 on: December 07, 2019, 06:20:01 am »
There's the XStream software pack, then there's an additional aladdin driver pack, and I believe the order is supposed to be that way.  If you go into the device manager you should be able to update drivers for unknown devices, and windows may auto-find the installed driver.  It has been finicky for me before, but I'm not entirely sure why.  With my last install, one of the drivers in the pack didn't seem to install on its own, but process of elimination forcing it to install on the remaining unknown device worked fine.  I also think the printer driver needs to be installed after everything, if you have it, since the printer connection is through the PCI card, so you need the card's drivers to be in place for it to even be found.

There's also the chance something is actually wrong with it.  Communication errors generally show up in the bottom notification box, but you can get more detail as to what is going on through the service menu or the xstream browser (I think that's what it's called) that will give you some additional configuration and diagnostic information that you can normally find through remote control commands.

BTW, "burning" a CD ISO to a USB key will never be bootable (unless they've expanded options now), a bootable USB needs a boot sector setup closer to a floppy disk than a CD drive, so there's a format difference that prevents just a CD ISO from doing the job.  I think the official method for XP on a USB key was something like taking the full install, the boot sector from a bootable floppy, then using a tool to build the USB key from that.... hard to remember the details as it's been like 15 years :p

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #553 on: December 07, 2019, 09:26:51 am »
There's the XStream software pack, then there's an additional aladdin driver pack, and I believe the order is supposed to be that way.

Hmm, I did notice any aladdin driver install. Is that supposed to be on the Lecroy driver install?

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #554 on: December 07, 2019, 09:50:08 am »
There's the XStream software pack, then there's an additional aladdin driver pack, and I believe the order is supposed to be that way.

Hmm, I did notice any aladdin driver install. Is that supposed to be on the Lecroy driver install?

But it does look like this is the problem. The multifunctional device showing up in device manager identifies as a aladdin_aquisition_dev
Connected to the internet, drivers are not found automatically and I have not found much by searching manually. Maybe someone has the driver saved?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #555 on: December 07, 2019, 10:05:52 am »

Yes. The driver installation is part of the oscilloscope software package.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #556 on: December 07, 2019, 11:01:11 am »

Yes. The driver installation is part of the oscilloscope software package.

Interesting, ok.
If I install the XSteam drivers package, Windows firs asks me to connect to the internet to search for updated driver. Here I tried both yes and no. Then it will promt multiple warnings about non signed driver. Then a window asking if I want to install automatically pops up which I confirm. After that it does a system restore point and tells me it is done. Then the cycle repeats several time. I hope this is correct?
Everything installs fine apart from that multifunction (aladdin) device. At the end it promts that not everything installed and promts to close.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #557 on: December 07, 2019, 11:59:07 am »
Somewhere in the Lecroy directories there is something like an 'aladdin driver installer.exe' (don't know the exact name or directory). Run that to install the drivers.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #558 on: December 07, 2019, 12:02:04 pm »
Somewhere in the Lecroy directories there is something like an 'aladdin driver installer.exe' (don't know the exact name or directory). Run that to install the drivers.

I just downloaded the XSteamDriver file from here: https://teledynelecroy.com/support/softwaredownload/download.aspx?did=11293

That's all driver packaged in one executable. Or do you mean on the lecroy website?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #559 on: December 07, 2019, 12:07:39 pm »
No. After installing the Xstream package the driver package is on your oscilloscope.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #560 on: December 07, 2019, 12:08:54 pm »
The driver pack for these scopes was removed from the installer after version 6.x.  Install 6.x first or use the attached driver pack which I extracted from the 6.8 installer.

The following users thanked this post: sixtimesseven

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #561 on: December 07, 2019, 09:43:11 pm »
It comes up on the list as a single piece of software, but there is multiple download links.  The XStream software package comes with drivers for Magellan boards, which replaced the Aladdin boards, so the second set is needed and is easy to miss.  In the case of these scopes, the XStream package and the driver package are different installs and different downloads.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #562 on: December 08, 2019, 02:38:48 am »
In the case of these scopes, the XStream package and the driver package are different installs and different downloads.

I have never seen the driver packages available as a separate download.  Can you show where they are?

As far as I have ever seen the drivers are in the XStream installer until version 8.x, after which they disappeared.  Most of the firmware download links will have two versions and the older version still has the drivers but it's a full X-Stream installer, not just a driver pack.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #563 on: December 08, 2019, 02:43:55 am »
In the case of these scopes, the XStream package and the driver package are different installs and different downloads.

I have never seen the driver packages available as a separate download.  Can you show where they are?

As far as I have ever seen the drivers are in the XStream installer until version 8.x, after which they disappeared.  Most of the firmware download links will have two versions and the older version still has the drivers but it's a full X-Stream installer, not just a driver pack.

just select 7000A and it's right there
https://teledynelecroy.com/support/softwaredownload/documents.aspx?sc=11

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #564 on: December 08, 2019, 12:05:37 pm »
The driver pack for these scopes was removed from the installer after version 6.x.  Install 6.x first or use the attached driver pack which I extracted from the 6.8 installer.

Win xp pro, the chipset driver and the the 6.8 XStream drivers installed without and after installing audio, ethernet and grapics driver there were no more errors in the device manager. EDIT: I must have overlooked this late in the night. The ETH and the Aladdin Aquisition Device still show errors in the dm.
However, I still see no input and the serial number (it says: WM000001) is not correct either.

I then Installed the new v8 drivers which also installed without error. But still, there seems to be no connection to the scope hardware.

I also noticed that the sticker in the back says windows 2000 pro embedded. But I installed a non embedded win xp version. Does this matter?

Did I miss a step?
Is there a way to test the pci hardware?

EDIT: It works now. I installed the 6.x drivers once more. Now it shows the serial number, the correct option keys and the traces. Not sure if 8.x is worth it to me to try again by installing the new version.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:29:16 pm by sixtimesseven »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #565 on: December 08, 2019, 12:16:46 pm »
good question about replacing the embedded os with non embedded XP? I do have this question myself?

if you start with V6.8 it really should work, it did for me but my system had winxp on it to begin with...did you transfer the D: drive to the new drive? it's only cal data as I understand but maybe there is something else there that the scope needs? I never tried without copying that drive first.

still I would try to make an image/clone of the original hdd and see if it works...

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #566 on: December 08, 2019, 12:30:42 pm »
good question about replacing the embedded os with non embedded XP? I do have this question myself?

if you start with V6.8 it really should work, it did for me but my system had winxp on it to begin with...did you transfer the D: drive to the new drive? it's only cal data as I understand but maybe there is something else there that the scope needs? I never tried without copying that drive first.

still I would try to make an image/clone of the original hdd and see if it works...

It does now work with 6.x, I just installed that one again. Not sure how awake I was yesterday.

My original HD failed so cloning is not an option really...

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #567 on: December 08, 2019, 01:40:01 pm »

It does now work with 6.x, I just installed that one again. Not sure how awake I was yesterday.

Great  :D

can you please post your full procedure step by step? did you start from scratch again?
i did it long time ago and now i dont remember the details and never took notes  :palm:
i have used cloning on another unit after that but i don't remember the details of fresh installing which i did long ago...

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #568 on: December 08, 2019, 01:45:59 pm »

Thanks, I don't know how I never noticed that link before.

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #569 on: December 08, 2019, 03:06:49 pm »

Great  :D

can you please post your full procedure step by step? did you start from scratch again?
i did it long time ago and now i dont remember the details and never took notes  :palm:
i have used cloning on another unit after that but i don't remember the details of fresh installing which i did long ago...

I'll put together a packet with all the software here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gz5pbn4d98d980q/AAC1mgv4QijNTqCK_MtC9WZaa?dl=0

I did the following:

1. Install Win XP Pro 32bit via installation disc (I tried via USB for a long time without luck)
2. Install the Chipset Drivers
3. Install XStream, I first installed XStream, then the v6 Drivers which contain the Aladdin drivers, then the v8 drivers
4  Install the TouchDrivers. Set to: SC4 Serial, set com port *
5. Open the TouchDriver calibration and calibrate the screen

6. Split the disk into C: and D:  for the calibration files by adding a new partition on a Win10 system named "USERDATA", changing drive letter in XP to "D"
7. In XStreamDSO go to Utilities-> UtilitiesSetup -> Service and type in "9472" then click on the "Service" folder, "Aladin Aqu..." folder, "AutoCal", select all options and run auto cal. This should restore cal data and get rid of the no cal data error

* Lecroy hides the com port. To find it you have to:
Click Start>Run
Type cmd.exe in the textbox and click OK
Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and hit ENTER
Type cd\windows\system32 and hit ENTER
Type start devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER
When the device manager opens, click the View menu
Click Show Hidden Devices

I'm tempted to just share my cloned backup but with the windows license and everything I'm not sure the mods would be thrilled about that link :(
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:19:57 am by sixtimesseven »

The following users thanked this post: eliocor, analogRF

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #570 on: December 08, 2019, 03:23:22 pm »
It turns out the factory calibration is also in the EEPROMs on the acquisition board so you don't need to save the files. A self calibration from the service menu does the rest to restore all the calibration data.
if original owner did a calibration process later during the life of the scope in service, will it saved in eeprom too?
You'd have to ask Lecroy. I'd assume if you send it to Lecroy then they might update the EEPROM values if necessary.
It seems the self calibration data is saved in different files. The data which is in the EEPROMs is read once if the file is missing on the disk.

Could someone clarify this point for me?
I have a D: named Userdata and XStream created a bunch of folders on the next startup, however no cal files and I do not see where to initiate a selfCal?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #571 on: December 08, 2019, 03:33:39 pm »
You don't need the D drive at all. And you don't need to backup anything. The factory cal data is stored on the acquisition board itself en copied onto the hard drive automatically. The missing cal data is automatically created from the data gathered at the first time the oscilloscope is started.

A self calibration can be started from the service menu. Service center access is probably enough.

9472 Service Center
19641 Production Access
11011969 Kernel Access
22872201 Developer Access

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, sixtimesseven, dgo_42

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #572 on: December 08, 2019, 04:45:06 pm »
But its a good practise to have D: storing user's data. If you crash C, you dont have to think to recover the files, you simply recover using backup utils, format or clean install etc. My probe deskew calibration fixture is on its way, reading the manual, once we make calibration, the files will be stored somewhere in hdd, i think its wiser in D, so after recovery we dont have to recalibrate. How valid is this idea i'm not sure until it arrived, but its still good to have D for whatever reason imho.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #573 on: December 08, 2019, 04:50:53 pm »
A self calibration can be started from the service menu. Service center access is probably enough.

9472 Service Center
19641 Production Access
11011969 Kernel Access
22872201 Developer Access
i never try this, but do we need to have extra equipments or fixtures to do self calibration? Maybe i want to do on my dda3000 since it lost its calibration data in hdd, now its using reconstructed data from factory/eeprom i guess. but i'm afraid if original factory calibrarion data is destroyed and i've done invalid procedure during self calibration.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #574 on: December 08, 2019, 06:07:33 pm »
My Touch Driver seems to fail intermittently  >:( Auto detect in the UPDD settings worked fine before. But now I get nothing.

I removed the UPDD settings and tried to listen to the only available port (com1) with putty but there is nothing.
Is there a way to test that in the Service Menu?

Edit: Stupid me. Lecroy hides the com port. To see which one it is:

Click Start>Run
Type cmd.exe in the textbox and click OK
Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and hit ENTER
Type cd\windows\system32 and hit ENTER
Type start devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER
When the device manager opens, click the View menu
Click Show Hidden Devices

For me it was com3
Now it works
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:41:26 pm by sixtimesseven »

Share me