Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1445742 times)

Offline Wh1sper

• Regular Contributor
    • Zockertown
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1125 on: July 10, 2013, 11:05:33 am »
Hi, I'm an old man from Germany who has rediscovered the wonderful :bullshit: world of solder smoke.
Special interests are Measurements PIC, Raspberry, Nixie, Motorbike accessory and such alike.

--Bernd

Offline adlerweb

« Reply #1126 on: July 11, 2013, 09:56:20 am »
Add another german viewer. I'm Florian and do work in the IT-area as networking/server guy (but in the end i do also programming and other stuff that "needs to be finished by the way". Since i am lazy and was already taking apart devices as a kid (my father is an electrician) i started attaching my home devices like lights to my PC which finally got me into developing AVR-based boards as a hobby to get my personal "internet of things" working. I started watching EEVBlog years ago (guess something arround #30) but hadn't activly commented or used the forum.
Florian // adlerweb
Blog (de) - YouTube (de) - Tritter (de)

Offline NerdCore

• Contributor
« Reply #1127 on: July 11, 2013, 01:36:06 pm »
HI all,
I'm Nikola K. from Cleveland, Ohio, USA. Been watching the videos for a few years now. Decided to join the forum after leaving a comment on a blog post. Currently I am a student (Computer Science & Electrical Engineering) and work full time in IT. In my spare time (what little I have) I mess with my hackintosh and Arduino.

Offline cosmos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1128 on: July 11, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »
I am designing (mostly a wide variety of industrial) electronic systems for a living, getting involved in most issues from top level architecture, via analogue and digital designs and layout to fixing production problems with some programming and FPGA design thrown in. I have been around just long enough to have repaired (as a job) non transistorised TVs, and have tinkered with electronics since I was 12.

Offline va3nth

« Reply #1129 on: July 12, 2013, 02:37:17 pm »
Hello.  Name here is Christopher.  I have been interested and playing with electronics since I was a kid in the early '70's.  I play with micro's of all sorts for fun.  I am a ham radio operator here in Canada and just wanted to say hello and thank Dave for all of the hard work.

I also really enjoy the theory segment on Fridays.  It is amazing that after all these years I seem to have forgotten some of the fundamentals behing WHY I put things together the way I do (op amps for instance) and now am re-thinking some of my designs with inspirition and enlightenment.

Love it.

Christopher
va3nth

Offline crt

• Regular Contributor
  • LLLLLLL-RGDSLLL-DSARLLL-LLLLLLL
« Reply #1130 on: July 13, 2013, 03:49:14 pm »
Hallo
I'm La Ode Torega, from Surabaya, Indonesia
Nice to meet you all  :)

Offline jim_griff

• Regular Contributor
  • Personal Text goes here.
    • Principal Audio
« Reply #1131 on: July 13, 2013, 07:22:09 pm »
Hi everyone.

I was previously registered on the forum, but had to leave back then due to some personal reasons. I'm an Audio Engineer working in England who mixes/masters music for bands and also makes a little bit of music myself. My music isn't so good, but surprisingly some of it has been used on a random Japanese TV station a couple of weeks ago! I hope they don't laugh at the crap music haha.

I was originally interested in RF electronics, but the "RF Voodoo" started making me ill, so I have since started to work with lower frequency energy in the audio spectrum. I hope that one day (before 40) I will be building either analog or digital audio equipment that professionals can use to enhance their audio mixing/mastering. I'm a serious EENoob, but learning rather quickly. The formulas keep me awake at night while I sleep with my calculator and Kindle with datasheets on!

Thanks to Dave for creating the forum and the YouTube videos. I will continue to donate each year to help keep you up and running.

P.S. If anyone has any questions to do with Audio Engineering, Mixing, Mastering, etc, then please don't hesitate to either PM me a question or make a new post and PM the post at the same time. I'll be happy to answer any questions and provide as much information as is needed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:37:22 pm by jim_griff »

Offline Spunky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1132 on: July 15, 2013, 11:32:39 pm »
Hello folks. I'm a designer and engineer of pump systems, working with purpose built pic based products, and also electrical panels and motor controls/protection. So reasonable electronic/programming abilities, good with industrial electrics, excellent with water pumps, and pump system design/troubleshooting. Currently here to develop my ability to make new products.

In a previous life I was an IT technician (and any other electronic stuff people walked in with), and in another previous life I was a QS, which is almost as dull as being an accountant.

From a quiet corner of wales where it's probably raining.

Offline Terabyte2007

• Frequent Contributor
  • It is purpose that created us... That defines us..
« Reply #1133 on: July 20, 2013, 04:54:20 pm »
Hello,

I am Eric from Akron, OH. I have an EE from Akron University, Work as a Programmer for AVI-SPL and have been in the electronics field since 1988. For anyone interested, here is my Linkedin Profile. http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=14844644&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile

I am glad to find this Forum to share my passion for electronics and engineering. I also do tear downs and salvage parts for my projects. I have thousands of parts, ugh!

Anyhow, I love the videos and the website and look forward to chatting with some of you in the future.
Eric Haney, MCSE, EE, DMC-D
Electronics Designer, Prototype Builder

Offline resistance

« Reply #1134 on: July 22, 2013, 08:21:44 am »
Hello chaps!

Been a long time lurker here, so I guess time has come to surface out  :blah:

My name is Chris and I live in Athens,Greece.
I catch the electron-microbe quite young, about the age of ten, and I've been a hobbyist ever since.

I am a UNIX/RDBMS admin by profession, currently employed in a small ISP here in Greece.

I guess that's  about it, the rest will come along.

Cheers.

Offline shailesh3t

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1135 on: July 22, 2013, 08:49:31 am »
Hi am shailesh from Mauritius Island,
always wanted to know how electrical/ electronics/ mechanics systems works so end up in technical side doing instrumentation and control else its nice to have the forum n Jones is a nice teacher, n nice to meet u here Guys
regards
shailesh

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1136 on: July 25, 2013, 02:55:00 pm »
Hey,

I'm Daniel, from NYC (originally from Hungary, Eastern Europe). I'm a software engineer, but I've always been interested in hardware, and I think I decided to finally take the plunge and do some projects.

Among other things my main interests are audio, retro computing (like newly designed c64 peripherals), and the junction of the two. :) I'm still in the early stage of re-learning hardware though, and have huge blank areas.

Offline Priestblood

• Contributor
« Reply #1137 on: July 27, 2013, 03:22:35 pm »
Hi everybody
My name is priestblood a.k.a. Wayne and Have viewed  the blog on YouTube for a long time and have been a guest for a while so I thought It would be time to register
Am 40 and live in Wirral merseyside,I have been interested in electronic since early teens and I am a sheet metal worker and married with two grown up daughters .i would say my electronic skills is basic
Fault finding and repairing things from washing machines to tv's ,but am always trying to learn more and big thanks to Dave for the blogg I have watched every video made by Dave on XBMC and will continue
Regards
  Priestblood

(Username I have had since the Medal of Honor spearhead days in the 90's and I've been using the same name for all my online gaming I have played everything from Warcraft to bf3 to world of tanks over the years)

Offline Herr R aus B

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #1138 on: July 28, 2013, 09:56:46 am »
Hello!

I am not that new here, but I just found this thread right now. So - time to introduce myself finally :-) Being a software scientist with emphasis on software developing and project leading I don't have any EE background. Being almost 50 years now I finally understand, what I didnt't get during my mandatory and incredibly boring EE classes back at university during my undergraduate days.

Thanks to the internet, YouTube and guys like Dave, M J Lorton, Mike from Mike's Electric Stuff, the ppl at adafruit and many more I eventually will manage to keep up with what I couldn't keep up with back in the day. Even though I am more into phptography and music in my spare time, I started setting up little circuits, doing arduino stuff (very great entry for software guys!) and finally understand how electrons do what electrons have to do.

Actually I set up an arduino based AIS station supporting www.marinetraffic.com with local ship tracking data, working on a weather station, solarifying my balcony, working on a schmitt trigger inverter oscillator based water level sensor that incorporates a capacitor made of copper tape, some pvc tubing, and an attiny45 as frequency counter and controller of a 433MHz transmitter, and setting up a solar powered balcony watering system - all to be explained in this blog, once I manage to get my big but moved and write some articles...

So - anyways - thanks to Dave and this community for being extremely helpful :-)

Cheers, regards, whatsoevers

Axel
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:14:49 am by Herr R aus B »

Offline FreeLectron

« Reply #1139 on: July 28, 2013, 11:33:49 pm »
 :)
Good day!

I'm Pierre from Canada, a long time fan of EEV blog and super Dave the Crazy Aussie from down under. 
Beeing myself an old EE with lot's a trick, I look forward to share some great stuff with my buddies from all over the Poincaré sphere.

Cheers,

Offline MrAureliusR

• Supporter
« Reply #1140 on: July 30, 2013, 03:12:30 am »
Hey, my name is Max, I'm a student of electrical engineering at Algonquin College in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada... or rather, I'll be starting in the next month or so.

@FreeLectron people might get your nickname confused, as there's a very frequent and well-known contributor by the name of 'free_electron' on the forums already. Just letting you know in advance!
--------------------------------------
Canadian hacker

Offline talvor

• Contributor
« Reply #1141 on: July 31, 2013, 11:59:42 pm »
Hi all,

I'm Phillip and I live is Sydney.  I actually worked in Baulkham Hills for a while, which I think is pretty close to where Dave's lab is....

Anyway I am a software engineer, been doing it for around 20 years.  I was into electronics at a younger age for a couple of years and then fell out of it (I really didn't understand what I was doing, just brought kits, built them and said cool..)

I am getting back into it after playing with the Arduino which peaked my interest.  Am currently looking to find a good way to learn the theory and put it into practice.  So if someone has any tips, that would be appreciated.

I look forward to being a member of this community.

Cheers -
Phillip

PS. I love TheAmpHour although alot of the stuff discussed goes way over my head, but Chris and Dave are very entertaining.  It makes the train journey to work every day bearable.

Offline ben7

• Contributor
« Reply #1142 on: August 01, 2013, 03:37:42 pm »
Hello folks!

My name is Benjamin - and I am 16 years old :D

Since around nine years of age I have been interested in electrical engineering stuff. My first ever project was a portable cooling fan made from a battery, switch, and a computer fan :). Since then I have done a lot. I have a workbench of my own, an oscilloscope, and plenty of electronics parts. I am a master at soldering, and 'figuring things out'. I.E. if someone can't figure something out, I usually take a quick look and then determine what it is or what it does ... LOL

I am a member of various other great forums on the web, and I decided I would join this one also.

I have done repairs of things too, including a plasma TV (bad capacitors), an apple power adapter (IMHO, the strain reliefs are crappy), multiple desktop computers (bad capacitors), an old heathkit power amplifier/stereo which belongs to an EE friend of mine (faulty transistor, capacitors in poor condition, and oxidized connectors), a subwoofer (the plastic plug socket broke and shorted out), two chinese radios (one with a failed pushbutton, and the other with burnt out backlight bulbs), my own technics stereo from the 80's (it has its original UK style plug! :D the dialight bulbs were burnt out), a bathroom heater fan unit (got clogged with dust and the thermal fuse blew-I cleaned it out and replaced the fuse and all is good), and a number of other things... :)

I am also a member of the www.badcaps.net/forum forum.

Oh, and I am from NJ, USA.

Cheers,
-Ben

Offline The_PCB_Guy

• Regular Contributor
  • PCB Enthusiast
« Reply #1143 on: August 02, 2013, 01:17:52 am »
Hi ben, did I know you were a member here?

I go by "derstrom8" on a few other forums you're on, assuming you're the same "ben7".

Sounds like you got an early start with electronics. That's great! My first "project" was when I was about 6 years old--I took apart one of my sister's toys to try to figure out why it wasn't working. I don't remember this clearly, but my parents told me the story several times  ;)

Keep up the good work!
Regards,
Matt
The_PCB_Guy

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1144 on: August 02, 2013, 01:49:26 am »
Hi all,

I'm Phillip and I live is Sydney.  I actually worked in Baulkham Hills for a while, which I think is pretty close to where Dave's lab is....

Anyway I am a software engineer, been doing it for around 20 years.  I was into electronics at a younger age for a couple of years and then fell out of it (I really didn't understand what I was doing, just brought kits, built them and said cool..)

I am getting back into it after playing with the Arduino which peaked my interest.  Am currently looking to find a good way to learn the theory and put it into practice.  So if someone has any tips, that would be appreciated.

I look forward to being a member of this community.

Cheers -
Phillip

PS. I love TheAmpHour although alot of the stuff discussed goes way over my head, but Chris and Dave are very entertaining.  It makes the train journey to work every day bearable.

Dave had said something about doing monthly meetups with forum members in Sydney, you might get to meet him in person.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #1145 on: August 02, 2013, 06:34:28 am »
Hi all - My name is Matt. I am an EE that graduated Georgia Tech and worked as an EE for a few years before moving into software. I now work at Microsoft (Bing), but am getting back into electronics as a side project. I am also trying to teach my two sons some basic programming and electronics as a fun activity to spend more time with them.

I found this site by accident, but I really like it - especially the videos.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #1146 on: August 04, 2013, 03:36:49 am »
Hi, I'm Eric, and currently a 9th grade student in High School wanting to study EE. I have watched this blog since 6th grade and supported it since. My dad originally came to the US from China 20 years ago and has a degree in EE and Nuclear Design. I am mainly interested in digital projects and test equipment.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Claus H

• Analog designer, old world stuff
« Reply #1147 on: August 05, 2013, 09:18:55 pm »
Hi from old Denmark, land of free, snow, rain and some sunshine :)
Old world tech is my forte, working part time as a designer of audio analog circuits, for a Danish company, part time on my own.. Love Germanium, hate 'FETs, don't do much in µcontroller.
Life is good :)

Looking forward to hanging out here... 

Offline open loop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1148 on: August 05, 2013, 09:30:50 pm »
Hi there,

My name is David and I work for an engineering company as a tech support engineer (service) and have been lucky enough to do quite a bit of travel with the job over the past 14 years or so.

First got interested in electronics when I was 8 years old, Tinkered with it until i went to university (in my 20's!) as I had a variety of Jobs one of which was  video production/ filming in the late 80's.

Have built a Nixie clock based on an Arduino and am working on some other projects, I have an idea of building an Orac replica (Google Orac Blakes 7) but that is some time away.

Anyway looking forward to being part of this community.

Offline MBisFrenchy

« Reply #1149 on: August 06, 2013, 04:24:07 pm »
Hi, I am Julian (17) from NY, I am currently a freshman at Baruch, but am still stuck between Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering and International Business. I am interested in hardware, I have a great time tearing down various electronics.

Since I was about 10 I had a interest in computers and how they were assembled. I eventually started by repairing a DS Lite and from that I kept moving on to newer and more complicated game consoles. I also got into cellphone repair. Eventually I was able to turn it into a little business.

When I always worked on various things from phones to game consoles to PC's I wanted to know the chips which made them up. I then stumbled upon the EEVblog and was hooked. A lot is above my head, but the tear downs are most interesting to me with his repairs.

Because of the EEVblog I just invested in a HAKKO FX888D like Dave suggested. I plan to learn how to solder. I was also looking into getting a ATTEN 858D but unfortuantely it is not available in 110V configurations. The only one is the W.E.P. rebrand which is of lower quality. The safety warning is what is keeping me away unless I find a video for how to check for the defects and how to correct them. 

I work on PS3's mostly and have a great time doing so. I have torn down every PS3 revision from CechA01 (60GB) to the newest Cech-4001, B/C (500GB Super Slim). All nintendo Gameboy Hand helds Original to Micro. If you need PS3 stuff or just want some advice on what to do, feel free to contact me I am happy to help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf