Author Topic: Mµ Thermal Imager - real or fake?  (Read 487133 times)

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Re: Mµ Thermal Imager - real or fake?
« Reply #950 on: May 09, 2014, 03:40:13 am »
Hi,
It seems that they have given up on the comments section of the Indiegogo campaign. I surprised that this comment has not been pulled.

*** Viewer discretion ***
This extract from the Mu Optics Indiegogo comments page may offend some of the more sensitive members of the forum.

It suggests to me that they are not even reading the comments.

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #951 on: May 09, 2014, 03:45:29 am »
Well, see that from a positive perspective if that really happened  :o, it will be a really good base materials for writing a book on "How crow funding ruined my life & pride ..."  >:D :-DD

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #952 on: May 09, 2014, 04:16:32 am »
The number of times Mu Optics has been unwilling to respond to irate backers is simply staggering. And when they do "come clean" and admit their mistakes and lack of updates etc, they still don't address any of the concerns. You've got to hand it to them, that takes incredible fortitude to seemingly have no regard for your reputation like that :clap:
They do read the comments because it's been documented that they have been deleting some, and have replied a few times I believe.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #953 on: May 09, 2014, 08:56:20 am »
They are just laughing at the backers comments. Something like

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #954 on: May 09, 2014, 09:34:04 am »
I find the whole thing fascinating.  I can't imagine what Mu's endgame is.

I still think they likely started off with good intentions, but they are responsible for being scammy due to the fact that they were hopelessly incapable of ever pulling off the feat their claimed to be able to.

I think they've spent the last year thinking "Oh shit oh shit oh shit!" and are in denial about their ability to actually make this happen.

It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #955 on: May 09, 2014, 10:03:06 am »

That's what makes this whole thing so fascinating, it's like the Truman Show's "How will It End?"

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #956 on: May 09, 2014, 01:16:53 pm »

You alreade have seen the end game. There wont be any more updates.
Well, maybe one if someone decideds to sue them - they are a VFX agency doing commercials, they can always claim it was a publicity stunt/viral marketing campain.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #957 on: May 09, 2014, 02:28:10 pm »

You alreade have seen the end game. There wont be any more updates.
Well, maybe one if someone decideds to sue them - they are a VFX agency doing commercials, they can always claim it was a publicity stunt/viral marketing campain.
Why won't there be anymore updates? I haven't seen that from their updates.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline CanadianAvenger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #958 on: May 09, 2014, 03:18:49 pm »
they are a VFX agency doing commercials, they can always claim it was a publicity stunt/viral marketing campain.

That excuse would never fly... marketing campaigns don't bilk people of over a quarter of a million dollars.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #959 on: May 09, 2014, 03:27:02 pm »
they are a VFX agency doing commercials, they can always claim it was a publicity stunt/viral marketing campain.

That excuse would never fly... marketing campaigns don't bilk people of over a quarter of a million dollars.

Of course it would, can you afford good lawyers? They can :)
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #960 on: May 13, 2014, 02:16:52 am »
Can't wait for the next update, it'll probably go something like this.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know about the latest in my manufacturing scheme. See, in order to get one sensor for development without paying $1000, I had to sell my soul to Satan. But hey, the one remaining person that forgot about the project and didn't ask for a refund will be getting his thermal camera! (In a few (mu)months, just need to get the case 3D printer working in this heat. Lucifer, it sure is hot down here.) Keep on Mu(oo)ing
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:22:12 am by scientist »

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #961 on: May 17, 2014, 03:22:25 pm »
Next update:

<NO UPDATE>

You can't lose if you don't play.  8)

Offline Recyclojunk64Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #962 on: May 23, 2014, 03:16:41 am »
Another update for you to enjoy. Though there is actually a picture of something this time round.

Hello All,

The team has begun to pull images from the pre-production boards and are presently in calibration and refinement mode, prior to entering initial production.

We have also ordered the internal plastic injection and metal tooling and have actually received critical first article parts, which have tested with flying colors.

The housing tools will be kicked-off in the next week or so and we anticipate first article parts within 30 days, upon which we will begin alpha production.

The iOS and Android apps are finished and tested as well.

Cheers,

MuOptics

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #963 on: May 23, 2014, 03:36:53 am »
They must have another iphone around, why not take video where they show waving soldering iron in front of the sensor.

I suppose they are using that large aluminium lump around the lens to stabilize the temperature around the sensor and lens? I recall seeing something similar on mike tearing down his Flir E4. Last picture they had https://images.indiegogo.com/medias/922071/pictures/full/20130710142155-photo-2.JPG?1373491459 showed some maybe 3d printed plastic holder, I guess they were having problems with that? That is why they havent been able to post any pictures.

Maybe they realized Flir actually knows what they are doing and they just copy that and be ok instead of trying to do their own thing. So they need real lens, and real calibration shutter. Flir didn't put those in their own version for fun.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:41:02 am by Legit-Design »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #964 on: May 23, 2014, 03:41:43 am »
Holy crap batman, who expected to see some actual hardware?  :o
Was that so hard?  :palm:
Of course, no actual video of it working, and no thermal images apart from the one on the screen.
Once again, if it's all working fine, WTF wouldn't they have have shown video of it? And it still doesn't explain why they have never shown a single thermal up until (presumably) this point.
What's with the big cast aluminium block? That's a hunk-a-chunka heatsink, doesn't looks like it's going to fit into the new 3D rendered case as shown?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #965 on: May 23, 2014, 03:54:27 am »
Translation:

The team has begun to pull images from the pre-production boards and are presently in calibration and refinement mode, prior to entering initial production.

The pre-production boards will need a re-spin. Likely requiring another pre-production run, because we don't have real experience manufacturing hardware.

We have also ordered the internal plastic injection and metal tooling and have actually received critical first article parts, which have tested with flying colors.

But we aren't going to show you, because well, we don't do that sort of thing.

The housing tools will be kicked-off in the next week or so and we anticipate first article parts within 30 days, upon which we will begin alpha production.

We aren't really close to actual production units. Probably 3-4 months at a minimum unless something goes wrong or we change something again.

The iOS and Android apps are finished and tested as well.

We'd love to show you video of a real test, but, you know, we don't do that sort of thing.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #966 on: May 23, 2014, 09:22:13 am »
Looking at the size of connectors,in particular what looks like a power connector and single pole DIP switch next to it at the far corner,  and the aluminium lump, I suspect that board might actually  be a sensor manufacturer's devboard.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #967 on: May 23, 2014, 09:49:57 am »
Faker than a very fake thing.

Even if it (the board or the rendered body) were real, and it's not, but even if it were, no way are they fitting that into that body.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #968 on: May 23, 2014, 09:58:42 am »
Looking at the size of connectors,in particular what looks like a power connector and single pole DIP switch next to it at the far corner,  and the aluminium lump, I suspect that board might actually  be a sensor manufacturer's devboard.

That power connector is a rather big through hole beast. And given that battery has got to be on the other side (and very flat if it's to squeeze in what space might be left given the render), you do have to wonder what's going on here...

Offline London Lad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #969 on: May 23, 2014, 10:01:22 am »
It looks to me that if you aligned the lens on the board with the aperture on the rendered case (taking into account the scale of the phone) it wouldn't fit anyway. The whole thing is just a scam now IMHO

Offline mvdswaluw

• Contributor
« Reply #970 on: May 23, 2014, 10:08:41 am »
That picture: Is it a soldering iron tip, hot air soldering tip, candle flame or something else? And why is the background of the picture sharp and not the entire picture? Focus problem, or photoshopped picture onto the iphone?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #971 on: May 23, 2014, 10:19:15 am »
Some idle speculation...

Looking at the Mu Image, assuming the header is 0.1" pitch then I make the device to be about 75mmx45mm and about 30mm thick maybe.

This infrared camera from Avio has somewhat compatible looking dimensions, lens placement, and an outward appearance that looks about what I'd expect.

http://www.infrared.avio.co.jp/en/products/ir-thermo/pdf/catalog-s30-e.pdf

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #972 on: May 23, 2014, 10:38:17 am »
Some idle speculation...
Looking at the Mu Image, assuming the header is 0.1" pitch then I make the device to be about 75mmx45mm and about 30mm thick maybe.
This infrared camera from Avio has somewhat compatible looking dimensions, lens placement, and an outward appearance that looks about what I'd expect.

Not the same lens. The Mu one has some writing on it.
And it's not Wifi.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #973 on: May 23, 2014, 11:00:01 am »
I suspect that board might actually  be a sensor manufacturer's devboard.

I doubt it. It seems to use the same Redpine(?) wifi module as the older board, so appears to be some sort of revision to that board.
Also, I suspect someone would have found it by now if it was just a off-the-shelf dev board.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #974 on: May 23, 2014, 11:33:00 am »
Some rough measurements as measured on the image sized so that the pin header base is 25.4mm long.  Because of the perspective, the measurements further from the front will be considerably more inaccurate I expect.  Pretty sure the 3 crosses I have placed indicate screw holes in the heat sink.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:37:26 am by sleemanj »
~~~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf