Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2302892 times)

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #3800 on: October 09, 2018, 06:21:38 pm »
TiN you are in need of a Tek Type 200

this is the cart to roll the test client and some PSU  in front of the test wall  ^-^
higher numbers then 200 are scope carts and not useful.
There are always two ways:
* the testgear rolls to the client
* the client rolls to the test wall.

greetings
Martin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 06:28:17 pm by Martin.M »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3801 on: October 09, 2018, 09:11:55 pm »
Built a 2 x 16U rackmount chassis for the lab - mahogany w/walnut inlays.  Initially fitted with drawers and placed near the bench.  As required, the drawers will be replaced with remotely-controlled test equipment.

Wow! That's a beauty. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: jhenderson0107

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #3802 on: October 10, 2018, 11:25:18 am »
j-h0107. Lovely work!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: jhenderson0107

Offline Jackson

• Contributor
« Reply #3803 on: October 10, 2018, 10:08:03 pm »
My small work area in the basement of the apartment. There is another folding table behind the camera that my wife uses for fabric cutting and I use as a surface for disassembly. So far I've only taken over half of the storage shelf next to the table. Lighting isn't that great, but at least it is spacious.

Offline hscade

• Contributor
« Reply #3804 on: October 10, 2018, 10:25:47 pm »
My small work area in the basement of the apartment. There is another folding table behind the camera that my wife uses for fabric cutting and I use as a surface for disassembly. So far I've only taken over half of the storage shelf next to the table. Lighting isn't that great, but at least it is spacious.

The cooling box is your chair I assume? Well that idea is good as long as the beer stays cold!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3805 on: October 10, 2018, 10:56:04 pm »
As it's a basement, I get the washer & dryer.

But it's the toilet that makes it funny for me.  :o Certainly convenient if you really need to go. :-DD

Seriously though, nice setup. You really don't require tons of gear for a nice general purpose lab IME. :) Now once you get into voltnuttery realm OTOH for example, that's a totally different matter.  >:D

Offline Jackson

• Contributor
« Reply #3806 on: October 10, 2018, 11:10:48 pm »

The cooling box is your chair I assume? Well that idea is good as long as the beer stays cold!

It's a Milwaukee toolbox technically - has some hammers and screw drivers stored in it. I think you may be on to something though... I might need to get a second "chair."

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-13-in-Jobsite-Work-Tool-Box-MTB1400/205026948

But it's the toilet that makes it funny for me.  :o Certainly convenient if you really need to go. :-DD

Seriously though, nice setup. You really don't require tons of gear for a nice general purpose lab IME. :) Now once you get into voltnuttery realm OTOH for example, that's a totally different matter.  >:D

Yeah. That is the strangest part of the whole apartment. I've never used it - there is something a little strange about sitting there in a wide open concrete room with a bunch of little hopper windows - but I guess its good for emergencies.

Have a DMM check plus on order. After that, my next standard will probably be a GPSDO for playing around with my 5370B. Then maybe I'll move on to something more precise for voltage.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3807 on: October 10, 2018, 11:19:41 pm »
Have a DMM check plus on order. After that, my next standard will probably be a GPSDO for playing around with my 5370B. Then maybe I'll move on to something more precise for voltage.
Oh crap. You're looking to start down the rabbit hole from hell. :wtf: And unfortunately, it tends to be expensive as well. |O

So I suggest you seek addiction help similar to that of say a heroine addict before it's too late.  >:D  :-DD

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3808 on: October 11, 2018, 03:16:15 am »

It's a Milwaukee toolbox technically - has some hammers and screw drivers stored in it. I think you may be on to something though... I might need to get a second "chair."

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-13-in-Jobsite-Work-Tool-Box-MTB1400/205026948

Yeah. That is the strangest part of the whole apartment. I've never used it - there is something a little strange about sitting there in a wide open concrete room with a bunch of little hopper windows - but I guess its good for emergencies.

Are you in Pittsburgh, by chance?

The following users thanked this post: Atomillo

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3809 on: October 11, 2018, 03:58:09 am »
Here's some of the wiring before I cleaned it up.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #3810 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:08 am »

Daat toilet :D

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #3811 on: October 11, 2018, 12:36:23 pm »
toilet :D

By moving the table you can have a shit and a soldering session at the same time.  :-+
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:47:10 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3812 on: October 11, 2018, 12:50:01 pm »
Careful with the solder blims  :-DD

Offline Jackson

• Contributor
« Reply #3813 on: October 11, 2018, 01:06:04 pm »

Are you in Pittsburgh, by chance?

I am not, but that is an interesting bit of history. I suppose it could be useful in case of tornadoes here in the midwest.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3814 on: October 11, 2018, 04:53:29 pm »
At least your lab is prepared for shit literally going down. Few of us can claim that level of preparedness.

The following users thanked this post: abraxa, bd139

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3815 on: October 12, 2018, 04:09:11 am »
toilet :D

By moving the table you can have a shit and a soldering session at the same time.  :-+

It seems to work for Gregory Kovacs (from Jim W's Art and Science of Analog Design and with apologies)
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3816 on: October 12, 2018, 06:34:25 am »
Back when I was at university studying Electrical Engineering we had a Professor who was very sociable, every weekend he would invite two or three of his students to tea at his home and his wife would bake a cake.

Well, it came to my turn. I sat there drinking his tea and eating the cake, then drinking more tea. Eventually a toilet break was needed. As I stood there I noticed that there were two rolls of toilet paper, one roll of soft and another one of the hard stuff like tracing paper that you used to see in public toilets.

The two rolls were a mystery that bugged me all afternoon and eventually my curiosity got the better of me so I asked the lady of the house about the arrangements. "Oh, that's easy" she replied, "The soft paper is for normal use and the hard paper is for William to write on if he gets a good idea whilst sitting there".  :-DD
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, ferdieCX

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3817 on: October 12, 2018, 07:35:12 am »
Back when I was at university studying Electrical Engineering we had a Professor who was very sociable, every weekend he would invite two or three of his students to tea at his home and his wife would bake a cake.

Well, it came to my turn. I sat there drinking his tea and eating the cake, then drinking more tea. Eventually a toilet break was needed. As I stood there I noticed that there were two rolls of toilet paper, one roll of soft and another one of the hard stuff like tracing paper that you used to see in public toilets.

The two rolls were a mystery that bugged me all afternoon and eventually my curiosity got the better of me so I asked the lady of the house about the arrangements. "Oh, that's easy" she replied, "The soft paper is for normal use and the hard paper is for William to write on if he gets a good idea whilst sitting there".  :-DD

LOL  ;D

I was always told "don't hold your farts in because it'll just give you shitty ideas"....
                                                                                                                         I always thought that was just a "funny" but there may be some truth in it after all!

Who knows?  :palm:
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #3818 on: October 12, 2018, 11:36:22 pm »

In the software world, that's referred to as "Agile"

The following users thanked this post: Atomillo

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3819 on: October 12, 2018, 11:57:44 pm »
My current workshop is so agile you wouldn't believe.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, abraxa, Atomillo

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3820 on: October 13, 2018, 10:12:26 am »
As a software person that made me snigger a bit too hard :)

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3821 on: October 13, 2018, 02:37:00 pm »
My current workshop is so agile you wouldn't believe.
LOL
So truly relatable.

Offline loxodes

• Contributor
« Reply #3822 on: October 13, 2018, 09:56:26 pm »
I ran out of space for test equipment so I bought wire shelving from Costco..

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3823 on: October 14, 2018, 02:53:15 pm »
That is not running out of space the entire right wall is still virgin, you just started  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #3824 on: October 15, 2018, 01:54:36 am »
That is not running out of space the entire right wall is still virgin, you just started  ;)

A few maxed out credit cards and many hours on eBay should solve that -  :-DD
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf