Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2302850 times)

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1500 on: October 24, 2015, 08:52:39 pm »

Still have the scrapped halon ones.
Me too, I have 3 or 4 empty halon extinguisher but can not get them filled.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #1501 on: October 24, 2015, 09:16:13 pm »
Halon was just as good at killing people as it was at saving property. Right? Seems nice that the priority is on saving people.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #1502 on: October 24, 2015, 09:44:09 pm »

On the wall;
Electronics reference poster (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/beautifully-made-electronics-reference-poster/) and Lots of assorted probes, leads and adapters on the breaker box with magnetic hooks. I have some more leads and adapters on the wall just under the shelf in the next picture too (you can barely see it under the lower shelf).

Where did you get that poster from and how much was it ?
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1503 on: October 24, 2015, 10:30:54 pm »

Still have the scrapped halon ones.
Me too, I have 3 or 4 empty halon extinguisher but can not get them filled.

I have a halon extinguisher i bought about a year ago. I believe they are still sold here in the US. There are several on Amazon.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1504 on: October 24, 2015, 11:05:16 pm »
plastic ammo cans

Are those Plano brand? I just got one myself the other day, fantastic for storing tools!

Offline inteljoe

• Contributor
« Reply #1505 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:20 pm »
No shame in what you got there. That is a nice bench!  :-+

Thank you. It's very much a work in progress and is constantly changing as I organize, clean, buy new parts & equipment, and just generally evolve as a hobby.

Where did you get that poster from and how much was it ?

Check this link: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/beautifully-made-electronics-reference-poster

It was from a KickStarter type campaign on Indiegogo and I was one of the contributors. But I think he is now selling the posters and other stuff from his website, which you can find here @ http://josericafort.com/store/

It's a great poster and printed on quality heavy paper. I chose to buy a frame for mine. It goes well above any EE bench.

Are those Plano brand? I just got one myself the other day, fantastic for storing tools!

Yes they are. I've had them for a few years now and I've used them to hold lots of different things. They hold pretty well too. 

They were originally used for holding ammo (their intended purpose), but I've since consolidated my ammo into larger metal .50cal ammo cans. These Plano boxes are more along the line of, in terms of size, .30cal ammo cans.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1506 on: October 26, 2015, 08:35:22 pm »
Those ammo cans look handy and they aren't very expensive either. Just wondering whether customs would raise some red flags since owning a gun without license is a big no-go over here.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #1507 on: October 27, 2015, 12:56:00 am »
That looks like a crammed bench.
What I notice in general is that people try to cram all their test equipment and PC(s) in a very small space. In most cases you don't need all the test equipment together. Most of my test equipment is stored on a shelve or a cabinet and I only put the equipment I need on my bench. This also makes it easy to have 2 or 3 work areas with seperate projects and their specific equipment needs.

It is definitely crammed, but I use all the pieces every day. Plus those PSU's, DC load, scope, etc. are VERY big and heavy. They are all GPIB connected. Moving the pieces around is a massive pain. All the extra gear is on a shelf - what you see is the minimum daily requirement. ...

+1
My bench is also crammed with gear, but is also the gear that I use during particular project. I also have some of those Chroma and Kikusui DC loads and power supplies and some of them are on purposely build racks but some on the bench, connected to PC, and they do weigh 25-40kg each, moving them is a BIG pain.

I guess the main problem is that when you have a workshop at home, you might be limited on available space, that's why you see so many examples of benches with mountains of gear on them. Even simple things like being able to access the bench at the back (accessing the rear panels of the instruments) is a problem as most probably the bench is next to a wall.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1508 on: October 27, 2015, 01:50:43 am »
Even simple things like being able to access the bench at the back (accessing the rear panels of the instruments) is a problem as most probably the bench is next to a wall.

I agree.  I have a rather large bench that weighs over 1000 lbs (the bench itself is about 500 lbs), so sliding it out from the wall unassisted is impossible (at least for me).  If I need to get behind the bench, I lift it up with a car jack and slide furniture dollies under each of the legs.  I can then pull the bench out, though it still takes quite a bit of effort.  The whole process takes about 15 minutes, and maybe another 10 minutes to get it back in place after I'm done crawling around behind it. 

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1509 on: October 27, 2015, 03:01:12 am »
I REALLY look forward to having access to the rear of the bench! Right now I am crammed into 10x15 foot space that is packed full. My pick and place machine is in my garage surrounded by rolling shelves with parts, shipping, etc. Hopefully, I am only a couple of months from gaining 400ft2 which will make it much more workable.

Can't wait to upload those pics......I feel like a sardine every day.

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1510 on: October 27, 2015, 04:03:21 am »
For eqpt that have BNC jacks at the back, (like my 8903B), I made a patch panel and route some BNC patch cables to the rear of the equipment.

I also have some equipment on a rolling rack where I need to patch XLR cables often. Plus, I also left some open space so I can reach in with my arms to unplug/plug jacks.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1511 on: October 27, 2015, 04:16:41 am »
That is an excellent patch panel, fivefish. A good idea for all sorts of rear-panel connections. I assume that's a rack spacer/blank that you mounted the BNCs into.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1512 on: October 27, 2015, 04:26:26 am »
That is a good idea Fifefish.
Looks Good
Sue AF6LJ

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1513 on: October 27, 2015, 04:28:43 am »
Yeah, just your standard 19" metal plate/panel/spacer, drilled holes, and mounted pass-through BNC jacks.

That's also a 4u height set of mounting rack, screwed/installed in a 1/2" thick plywood box.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1514 on: October 27, 2015, 04:41:23 am »
Fantastic fivefish, neat and very elegant!  :-+

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1515 on: October 27, 2015, 04:47:30 am »
Halon was just as good at killing people as it was at saving property. Right? Seems nice that the priority is on saving people.
It seems halon wasn't all that reliable at saving property. In the 80s the company I worked for changed insurers. One of the requirements from the new insurer was to rip out all the halon extinguishers in the computers rooms, and replace them with water sprinklers. The stated reason was the poor track record of halon systems activating properly in real fires. Lots of people thought that was a terrible idea, as the  machines would be damaged in the event of a fire. Thry seemed to ignore that there would be a fire, and stuff would be damaged anyway.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1516 on: October 27, 2015, 05:18:05 am »
I guess because Halon was so good a killing people, the trigger systems practically needed an order from the president of the United States to go off. I was a contractor on a job that was upgrading the halon control system (I had nothing to do with halon system, just there as an observer). The system required many triggers and then there was a substantial delay to allow all the people to escape first. I always though to myself  that it would take a full inferno to actually trigger the system, and then it was programmed to wait on top of that. Nuts.

Offline inteljoe

• Contributor
« Reply #1517 on: October 27, 2015, 10:21:58 pm »
Those ammo cans look handy and they aren't very expensive either. Just wondering whether customs would raise some red flags since owning a gun without license is a big no-go over here.

Yeah. I don't know that. That is unfortunately between you and your government.
But I don't see how a plastic container could be considered illegal.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1518 on: October 28, 2015, 01:03:31 am »
I guess because Halon was so good a killing people...

Actually, it wasn't/isn't.  It causes "slight giddiness".

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1519 on: October 28, 2015, 04:33:32 am »
I thought that it displaced oxygen fast enough to cause problems - like passing out while the fire rages around you. That is not an informed thought, just what I was guessing. Is that far off?

The technicians that I spoke with were quite serious about ensuring the room was clear before a deployment during an emergency.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1520 on: October 28, 2015, 04:48:12 am »
I thought that it displaced oxygen fast enough to cause problems - like passing out while the fire rages around you. That is not an informed thought, just what I was guessing. Is that far off?

The whole reason to use Halon, instead of much cheaper CO2, is that it is effective at suppressing fires, in non-lethal concentrations.  Amazing stuff.

The technicians that I spoke with were quite serious about ensuring the room was clear before a deployment during an emergency.

It's better not to breathe it if you don't have to, and there's always the chance that someone miscalculated the system size.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1521 on: October 28, 2015, 06:17:03 am »
I was under the impression that the issue with Halon is that it's a chlorofluorocarbon (blamed for ozone depletion), and that it is in fact an excellent fire extinguishing substance with relatively low toxicity.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1522 on: October 28, 2015, 08:06:28 am »
I was under the impression that the issue with Halon is that it's a chlorofluorocarbon (blamed for ozone depletion), and that it is in fact an excellent fire extinguishing substance with relatively low toxicity.
-Pat
More than one Halon is used in fire extinguishers, and its hard to tell how toxic they are, because of conflicting information. For example, Halon 1301 (BTM) is said to be a very low toxicity substance in many places, yet its Wikipedia page says "Human exposure to Halon 1301 can be toxic, affecting the central nervous system and other bodily functions.". It certainly damages the ozone layer, so it is being displaced for that reason.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1523 on: October 28, 2015, 10:13:44 pm »
It's been a few years since I last spec'd out a comms room, but we were pushed to nitrogen instead of halon for the machine rooms I last put together. The point was that it was an oxygen displacer. Pp, there was a cat flap-like arrangement in the wall for the purpose. There was still a few seconds programmed in to get out, but you had to tell it you were inside to benefit from that, or maybe that was an override, it's been a few years. Apparently you'd definitely know about it when it went off.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1524 on: October 28, 2015, 10:39:20 pm »
Nitrogen could be quite nasty to humans as you can't detect the lack of oxygen until you pass out, CO2 is quite " nice" as you can detect it quite easily so you get out of there, I don't know about the halons.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf