Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3090757 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #6125 on: November 15, 2016, 03:18:04 am »
Can we keep this one on-topic please, this is a highly watched thread.

The following users thanked this post: digsys, StuUK, Frank, Kean, ccs46, RogerRowland, Marcel_X

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6126 on: November 15, 2016, 04:43:54 am »
The power management systems on electric and hybrid vehicles make the efforts of the Batteroo sleeve look like a pile of rocks sitting next to the pyramids - but there is no surprise in this.  Batteroo's big claim to fame is not function - but size.

However, Batteroo has distinguished itself with being the quintessential embodiment of vapourware.

We had people hanging out for them for Christmas - last year - and we are still waiting.  Anyone game enough to bet that Batteroo sleeves will be available for Christmas 2017?

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6127 on: November 15, 2016, 02:22:30 pm »
The power management systems on electric and hybrid vehicles make the efforts of the Batteroo sleeve look like a pile of rocks sitting next to the pyramids - but there is no surprise in this.  Batteroo's big claim to fame is not function - but size.

However, Batteroo has distinguished itself with being the quintessential embodiment of vapourware.

We had people hanging out for them for Christmas - last year - and we are still waiting.  Anyone game enough to bet that Batteroo sleeves will be available for Christmas 2017?
I'm going to bet that something will come up again and delay them and give them a few more months...  :horse: Like I said... They obviously haven't run out of excuses nor delays. I hear the maritime piracy rate is up... The container ship is looking like a more probably answer every day...  :-DD

Also in other news, has this post become the longest post in EEVBlog history?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:24:13 pm by ccs46 »
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline Marcel_X

• Contributor
« Reply #6128 on: November 15, 2016, 03:11:20 pm »
On IGG there is another one claiming to have received the Batteroorisers :-) Could be another joke.
If it weren't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL, and OBOL

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6129 on: November 15, 2016, 03:18:27 pm »
Anyone game enough to bet that Batteroo sleeves will be available for Christmas 2017?

:-DD

Does anybody seriously believe they're manufacturing anything?

(other than lies)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6130 on: November 15, 2016, 04:35:08 pm »
On IGG there is another one claiming to have received the Batteroorisers :-) Could be another joke.

Maybe, but Myle Home Automation seem to have a use for it in their CulCharge. In French, my OH tells me this translates literally to Butt Load, just so you know where those Batterisers are going.

Oh, looky here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/culcharge-the-smallest-wearable-3-in-1-powerbank

From the well-known Hong Kong enclave of Bratislava, the last update was 8 months ago, when shipping started, apparently. And yet there seem to be lots of folks who've received bugger all. There's a pattern forming here.

Offline Sonny_Jim

• Supporter
« Reply #6131 on: November 15, 2016, 05:03:40 pm »
How long will this post last?

That entire post, including Alex Maleks original comment has now disappeared, along with a lot of other comments.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:13:51 pm by Sonny_Jim »

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6132 on: November 15, 2016, 05:21:55 pm »
Do you think the Rooparvarisers actually, really, honestly, believe that getting their paid friends and coworkers to post on facebook and indiegogo saying they have received them will work in pumping up interest?

It has been proven time and again that the public are not that stupid and you will get caught.  So many startups and crowdfunded projects have fallen victim to their own stupidity in this way.

Considering not a SINGLE person has posted photos of what they have supposedly received.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6133 on: November 15, 2016, 05:59:01 pm »

Does anybody seriously believe they're manufacturing anything?

(other than lies)

I seriously believe they have NOT done anything since the campaign ended.

Somehow I have a feeling they never wanted to do a crowdfunding campaign, but they had to to close the deal with the big investors (SKTA). And I think they are now in some kind of a deadlock with SKTA:
- They just want/need SKTA's money before producing and shipping any batteriser.
- SKTA's demands results from the project before clearing the money.

Their last lie about having shipped something was IMO just a desperate last attempt to please some important people.

If you ask me this saga is nearing it's final chapter, and it will end without anyone ever getting a batteriser.

It's all a bit like a snail in a well, they are climbing up 4m at daytime, but then slide back 5m at night.  :box:

The following users thanked this post: WattSekunde

Offline Sonny_Jim

• Supporter
« Reply #6134 on: November 15, 2016, 07:41:58 pm »
aaand now I'm unable to post on the Batteroo Facebook page.  Ho hum. 

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6135 on: November 15, 2016, 08:06:21 pm »
Hi,

Here is the latest from the IGG site. It is Bob encouraging people to post photos !!!

Why doesn't he post some photos?

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline lpickup

• Regular Contributor
  • Uncle Bobby Dazzler
« Reply #6136 on: November 15, 2016, 08:24:29 pm »
Really?  SEVERAL times?

While I suppose there is no upper limit to what "several" may mean, to me it generally means less than 10.  For this kind of product I would expect him to say HUNDREDS of times...

The following users thanked this post: digsys

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6137 on: November 15, 2016, 08:52:56 pm »
Here is the latest from the IGG site. It is Bob encouraging people to post photos !!!

Bob better hurry with his 'automated review solution'...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6138 on: November 15, 2016, 08:54:37 pm »
While I suppose there is no upper limit to what "several" may mean, to me it generally means less than 10.  For this kind of product I would expect him to say HUNDREDS of times...
Perhaps the metal sleeve is ultra thin and metal fatigue is easy when removing batteries all the time.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #6139 on: November 15, 2016, 09:02:18 pm »
Hi,

Why doesn't he post some photos?
Is it possible people are cutting themselves so badly they cannot take pictures?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: lpickup

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #6140 on: November 15, 2016, 09:07:23 pm »
Really?  SEVERAL times?

Yep, question and answer seem totally absurd. Like asking how many times I could refill my car's fuel tank.

The following users thanked this post: WattSekunde

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6141 on: November 15, 2016, 09:09:27 pm »
Really?  SEVERAL times?

Yup.
Translation - To make it fit into stuff it has to be so thin as to render it impractical for continued reuse, making it an almost disposable product. We wanted to save the world, but ended up just polluting more.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6142 on: November 15, 2016, 09:10:50 pm »

It's very interesting that Bob is both replying to Bob Lucas Jr's post whilst deleting his other ones.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6143 on: November 15, 2016, 09:12:53 pm »
Once again they claim they are shipping.
Has anyone received an actual tracking number? let alone the product of course

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #6144 on: November 15, 2016, 09:45:11 pm »
The several times usage more than likely refers to the fact that the user will initially place the sleeves on flat batteries in a device then realise that there is no major gain or benefit to be had, they will then try the sleeves in a different device to confirm their findings only to again verify that they got shafted and led astray, the pissed off user will then simply place the sleeves in a drawer and go on the internet to broadcast how ridiculous these products really are only to be convinced by some internet cookie to try them again one last time in a particular manner before finally spitting the dummy and placing them in the recycle bin.

Several times probably means the same as the three strikes and you’re out rule.   :-- :-- :--

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6145 on: November 15, 2016, 10:31:14 pm »
Having the product only last "several times " is a pretty good business move as that will mean customers will have to buy these products repeatedly.* They no longer will be just one time customers.

* Assuming these things actually work and get shipped in the first place.  >:D

Offline johndoe123

• Contributor
« Reply #6146 on: November 15, 2016, 11:51:26 pm »
Really?  SEVERAL times?

only if handled with care!

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6147 on: November 16, 2016, 01:25:27 am »
 But hey, 8x more battery life means you dump 1 battery plus 1 Batteroo in the trash as opposed to 8 batteries - should be a net gain, right?  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6148 on: November 16, 2016, 05:06:04 am »
Really?  SEVERAL times?

That jumped out at me also.

As a piece of electronic hardware, it should have a MTBF of several thousands of hours ... but are they being cautious because of the mechanical handling risk?

Or are they just lowering expectations?

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6149 on: November 16, 2016, 05:41:56 am »
Hi,

More from the IGG campaign, in case it gets deleted, Bob Lucas Jr. is asking Bob to show some pictures:

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf