Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 747508 times)

Offline Joao Carvalho

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #1425 on: June 14, 2020, 12:47:25 am »
Hello,

Following the advice of the members I created a new thread for the discussions that I have being making about the Siglent SDS2104-X Plus and called it a more generic name to pass the message that it could be also useful to other scopes models and brands:

Topic: Oscilloscope frequency response correction program
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscilloscope-frequency-response-correction-program/

I put it under Test Equipment.

Two posts had there sequence changed in the interest of a more easy and logical understanding of what I’m suggesting.

The following post is new:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscilloscope-frequency-response-correction-program/msg3095747/#msg3095747

Best regards,
João Carvalho

The following users thanked this post: tv84, 2N3055, Martin72

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1426 on: June 14, 2020, 04:44:38 am »
I'd only call it border line off topic because its still relevant with hardly any of us have a 5k usd rf generator to qualify probes and hardware we are tinkering with..
Yet some of us do.  :P
Mine goes to 3.2 GHz and I guess Performa01 that did these has something similar:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/msg1434665/#msg1434665
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Joao Carvalho

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1427 on: June 14, 2020, 08:31:38 am »
Following the advice of the members I created a new thread for the discussions that I have being making about the Siglent SDS2104-X Plus and called it a more generic name to pass the message that it could be also useful to other scopes models and brands:

Nicely done!  Now you can remove those msgs from this thread.

The following users thanked this post: Joao Carvalho

Offline Joao Carvalho

• Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: June 14, 2020, 09:29:42 am »
TV84, done.

The following users thanked this post: tv84, 2N3055, Martin72

Online DL2XY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1429 on: June 14, 2020, 06:37:49 pm »
Hello DL2XY,
Depending on the price and if the cables can be a little longer without degrading to much the specs, I’m very interested.
Thank you,
Best regards,
João Carvalho

Hello Joáu,
thank you asking for wire length, it realy brought me a step further.

I did severe testing on long wires and run indeed in some weird effects as resonancies at unexpected (lower) frequenzies / higher pulslengths.
So i did some simulations and tracked down the problems to be unlimited bandwith due to full compensation und ringing of the wires due to impedance mismatch.
So i added a damping element which can be optimized to to the desired wire length so the overshoot/ringing can be reduced to <5% .

Input impedance is still 100k \$\Omega\$|2pF, but bandwidth will be degraded in relation to required wirelength.

I first calculated a solution for 80cm and tested with 85cm clamp wires. I works perfectly with no crosstalk or inter-symbol glitches. Bandwith is 125Mhz sine, minimum detectable pulswidth is about 8ns. Wires are still bound together as delivered as ribbon-cable, so very close together wich should be worst case.

I expect the lenght / bandwidth relationship as follows:

Length   BW           MDP
------------------------------
1m         100Mhz    10ns
0.5m      200Mhz      5ns
0.25m    400Mhz    2.5ns

These values may differ slightly since optimation proccess is quite complex. You cannot use an analog probe to meausure damping, it´s input capacitance is way too high.
So you have to try a value, check the effect at various frequencies and levels via threshold variation and iterate to a solution.

Keep in mind that digital samplerate is only 500MS/s, so edge jitter is 2ns and pulswidth jitter is 4ns peak-peak anyway. 

Regards,

Walter

The following users thanked this post: Joao Carvalho, doppelgrau

Offline Joao Carvalho

• Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: June 16, 2020, 01:50:56 am »
Hello,
I made a Python program to extract the amplitude attenuation data from the FFT scope screenshot posted by Performa 01 from 0 Hz to 1 GHz.

See the following post for details:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscilloscope-frequency-response-correction-program/msg3097328/#msg3097328

It uses interpolation to get the “Inter-pixel” point value and I extracted 3 table CSV files.
-Attenuation data extracted directly from the image with the range 0 Hz to 1 GHz (no interpolation).
-Attenuation data interpolated from 0 Hz to 1 GHz in steps of 10 MHz.
-Attenuation data interpolated from 0 Hz to 1 GHz in steps of 1MHz.

The github project page is this
https://github.com/joaocarvalhoopen/Oscilloscope_frequency_response_correction_program

Best regards,
João Nuno Carvalho

Offline Joao Carvalho

• Contributor
« Reply #1431 on: June 16, 2020, 02:02:26 am »
I think I have found a little bug in the firmware of the scope, it’s just a simple thing, the drawing of the left Y axis of the FFT mode that it is doesn’t make a straight vertical line, the X pixel point at the bottom is correct but at upper part is one pixel to the right.

Note: From my measurements, I don’t think that this affects the plotted graph, as my measurements are spot on  :) with the scope buffer markers data and I extracted the data from the  graph as if the Y axis as no bias and like it was a straight line. 

I used here as an example of the zoomed image that I have been studying in the last days from EEVBlog member Performa01.

You can easylly see that it isn't a straight vertical line, it is one pixel desaligned  :)

The original image was posted here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg2787168/#msg2787168

Best regards,
João Nuno Carvalho
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:09:09 pm by Joao Carvalho »

Offline greasemonkey

• Contributor
« Reply #1432 on: June 16, 2020, 07:21:21 pm »
Hi all,

First post here.
I just got my SDS2000X Plus. Since my previous oscilloscope was the venerable RIGOL DS1052E I am still numb from how fast this thing is. :o

Here's a short video of the scope in XY mode:

My moderately uninteresting blog: https://btbm.ch

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Joao Carvalho, Elasia, Martin72

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1433 on: June 16, 2020, 11:54:12 pm »
Martin any news on the deskew?

Wait….look for the Status....

No..nothing new... :--

Mine will be here Thursday along with siglent sma calls for my sva ^^  just got shipping notice from ups

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1434 on: June 18, 2020, 07:14:16 pm »
Siglent deskew fixure :

Still the delivery status is on "Paid"....after 11days I´ve payed directly for this.
Siglent.eu ? Never more...

Status changed, wo-hoo..

They kidding me.... >:(
Still nothing in my hands, very annoying.  :--

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: June 18, 2020, 09:10:32 pm »
Siglent deskew fixure :

Still the delivery status is on "Paid"....after 11days I´ve payed directly for this.
Siglent.eu ? Never more...

Status changed, wo-hoo..

They kidding me.... >:(
Still nothing in my hands, very annoying.  :--

wow they suck...

Mine came in a few hours ago, its a multi layer board

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1436 on: June 18, 2020, 09:14:45 pm »
You ordered it later and got it earlier….Thank you siglent.eu.... :(

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: June 18, 2020, 09:18:24 pm »
the chips are 427H-LM555CM & 0402-BE7612

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1438 on: June 18, 2020, 09:20:34 pm »

Does this mean a review is comming soon  :P

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: June 18, 2020, 09:21:28 pm »
You ordered it later and got it earlier….Thank you siglent.eu.... :(

Yeah you got the shaft from the euros.. could probly had it faster it you just had me order it from siglent na hq and then ship it to you the next day lol

You should file a formal complaint

Does this mean a review is comming soon  :P

Not from me.. i dont even have time to fuss with it sadly atm

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1440 on: June 18, 2020, 09:21:50 pm »
LM555CM

The good old timer... ;D

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1441 on: June 18, 2020, 09:24:24 pm »
Not from me.. i dont even have time to fuss with it sadly atm

I would do, if I at last could do it... :( ::)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1442 on: June 18, 2020, 09:27:12 pm »
LM555CM

The good old timer... ;D

Yeah i just chuckled as soon as i saw the triple 5 in there

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1443 on: June 18, 2020, 10:40:43 pm »
So you have risetime of circa 100ns on voltage output?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1444 on: June 20, 2020, 10:12:09 pm »
I still wonder about the timebase accuracy of the sds2k+.
1ppm and 3.5 ppm aging over 10yrs.
Just líke the sds5k, what got the lecroy ws4000 ? 2.5ppm.., the ws3kz 10ppm, our hdo6K 2.5ppm...our wr9k 1.5 ppm....

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1445 on: June 20, 2020, 10:32:03 pm »
I still wonder about the timebase accuracy of the sds2k+.
1ppm and 3.5 ppm aging over 10yrs.
Just líke the sds5k, what got the lecroy ws4000 ? 2.5ppm.., the ws3kz 10ppm, our hdo6K 2.5ppm...our wr9k 1.5 ppm....
You think they are "overly optimistic"??  It's not that hard, my TTi TF930 counter is better than that.
I was always wondering why nowadays scopes have such a bad stability. Very nice TCXOs are very inexpensive today..

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1446 on: June 20, 2020, 10:38:32 pm »
The only thing which is explainable to me is, that the timebase accuracy is not a serious point for oscilloscopes.

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1447 on: June 20, 2020, 10:50:16 pm »
The only thing which is explainable to me is, that the timebase accuracy is not a serious point for oscilloscopes.
That is true. In the end an oscilloscope measures between waveforms and the noise from the acquisition system swamps that of the timebase.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1448 on: June 20, 2020, 11:51:54 pm »
You think they are "overly optimistic"??  It's not that hard, my TTi TF930 counter is better than that.
Not really. It has a calibration/correction mechanism and is configured at the factory to be within 0,2ppm but it still has a temperature variation of +/-1ppm and ages 1ppm in the first year. They don't even specify anything beyond that. Now it's easy to implement a calibration in a counter, as it's most probably just a correction factor in the software, i.e. you don't actually need a digitally trimmed TCXO unless there is a timebase output - which isn't the case for the TTi TF930 though.
For a scope, such a cheap correction implementation wouldn't work as long as you have a trigger output which is a basic feature that nearly every scope has. So you'd need a (digitally) trimmable time base and I'm not aware that any scope even in the 20k€ range would have this.
Anyway, the time base spec of the SDS2000X+ and SDS5000X is really top notch compared to most competitors. Actually., most scopes <10k€ have a worse spec.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:53:29 pm by 0xdeadbeef »
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1449 on: June 21, 2020, 07:53:56 am »
Not really. It has a calibration/correction mechanism and is configured at the factory to be within 0,2ppm but it still has a temperature variation of +/-1ppm and ages 1ppm in the first year. They don't even specify anything beyond that. Now it's easy to implement a calibration in a counter, as it's most probably just a correction factor in the software, i.e. you don't actually need a digitally trimmed TCXO unless there is a timebase output - which isn't the case for the TTi TF930 though.
For a scope, such a cheap correction implementation wouldn't work as long as you have a trigger output which is a basic feature that nearly every scope has. So you'd need a (digitally) trimmable time base and I'm not aware that any scope even in the 20k€ range would have this.
Anyway, the time base spec of the SDS2000X+ and SDS5000X is really top notch compared to most competitors. Actually., most scopes <10k€ have a worse spec.

While technically correct, you are nitpicking a bit... ^-^

I'm talking about order of magnitude.

Keysight MSOX 4000 series (a 20000 USD scope) has: Time base accuracy: ± 10 ppm (Denotes warranted specifications, all others are typical. Specifications are valid after a 30-minute warm-up period and ± 10 °C from firmware calibration).
It is much worse than TF930 (from guaranteed spec, mine is still less than 2ppm from ideal after 5 years, compared to GPSDO at my friends labs few months ago). Also TF930/960 is specified ±1 ppm over full temperature range, not ±10 °C from firmware calibration. And it has digitally trimmable TCXO.
Funny thing, cheaper MSOX3000T series is much better (and more detailed specification):  Time base accuracy 1 ±1.6 ppm + aging factor (1st year: ±0.5 ppm, 2nd year: ±0.7 ppm, 5 years: ±1.5 ppm, 10 years: ±2.0 ppm)  (Denotes warranted specifications, all others are typical. Specifications are valid after a 30-minute warm-up period and ± 10 °C from firmware calibration).
Speaking with some people who should know, it was hinted that is because 4000 has 10 MHz ref in, you can connect outside reference if needed (and you can use it without when not critical), and 3000T doesn't have ref input so they put in tighter oscillator, so they can say, "not ref in input, but hey, it is darn accurate anyways so not really need for it", and also they are marketing built in counter a lot, so they wanted it to be reasonable accuracy...

Reason for this is, like Martin and  Nico say, that scopes timebase is not usually important to be that accurate, in low ppm range. Stability is important, but absolute accuracy not so much.
Even those scopes that have External Ref IN, have not so much for absolute accuracy, but for synchronizing separate instruments for time correlation...

Or should I say, for scopes with short memory is not that critical, because of their timing resolution.
With very long memory, it becomes more critical, with sample times that are long enough for problems to show. So for Siglents with 200-250 MPoints of memory, both stability, phase noise and corresponding jitter,  and all that crap for timebase, will be more visible than for Keysight with 4 MPoints.
If I was speculating, that is the reason why Siglent put in better oscillator than average.
And on SDS5000X they also wanted to have very good jitter specifications, to enable some measurements and have very good trigger stability.
But really, all of them could (and should) put them in, not because we really need it, but because it is easy and cheap.

Good job Siglent.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:00:09 am by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: Joao Carvalho, Sighound36

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf