Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3085541 times)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #2200 on: September 14, 2015, 08:33:38 am »
...they still sell squillions of them.
Every tech blog on the planet could say it's useless, and that message would still only reach 1% of the potential market.
But some investors and distributors could be influenced by those blogs. I hope so.
Or corporations like Sony, Samsung, Philips could inform those distributors about dangers and incompatibilities.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:35:38 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2201 on: September 14, 2015, 08:45:59 am »
I guess I will never be able to understand how people can be that ignorant, like this syyenergy7
Is it only that guy, or is a whole area in that country speaking with that accent?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2202 on: September 14, 2015, 08:57:22 am »
I have some more data!

It's hilarious how the one with the boost converters (simulating batterisers) gets the shortest time.  That's using inductors that wouldn't fit into the batteriser.  If they don't put some disclaimers in their instructions manual that says "only use batteriser AFTER your product stops working, else you'll get reduced battery life.", I would be very surprised.

I'm also testing rechargable 2500 mAh nimh batteries at the moment, but couldn't wait until it's finished to put the other results into a combined graph.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, to keep the lines "thinner", I added a pretty aggressive weighted rolling average so you can tell the lines apart better.  The "noise" made the lines appear really thick, which made it hard to tell apart when they're near each other.

Link to full resolution image:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:02:14 am by 5ky »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2203 on: September 14, 2015, 09:01:37 am »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

How did they manage to get only 2 hours? :P :P :P

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2204 on: September 14, 2015, 09:02:31 am »

Alexander.

By being blatant liars  :popcorn:

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2205 on: September 14, 2015, 09:10:05 am »

We can't say for sure, but...

a) We know they stopped the test where the blue line jumps upwards on that graph (claiming the batteries are dead there when they aren't)
b) We can see they have a cheap current measuring device attached to it, burden voltage unknown.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2206 on: September 14, 2015, 09:10:22 am »
It's hilarious how the one with the boost converters (simulating batterisers) gets the shortest time. 
That was predicted (p)ages ago.
Terrific work by the way.

What's the OFF or standby consumption with/without batterisersimulator?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2207 on: September 14, 2015, 09:11:29 am »
It's hilarious how the one with the boost converters (simulating batterisers) gets the shortest time.

Hilarious ... but not really surprising.

PS: Great graph!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:18:05 am by Fungus »

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2208 on: September 14, 2015, 09:11:43 am »
Great Results !!

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2209 on: September 14, 2015, 09:18:31 am »
That was predicted (p)ages ago.
Terrific work by the way.

What's the OFF or standby consumption with/without batterisersimulator?

I'm too sleepy to test this now--going to bed.  I'll test when I get up and let you know.  (assuming the nimh test is finished by then)

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2210 on: September 14, 2015, 09:20:47 am »
I have some more data!...

Wow, excellent job!

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #2211 on: September 14, 2015, 09:28:02 am »
Thanks 5Ky for this nice graph :)

The lithium battery are really impressive! 20Hr wow  :clap: (and alkalines with the dimmed backlight are not that far away, you get only 3hr more with the lithium! (For a price much higher, and as it's an outdoor product, the backlight is not that important)

It have nothing to do with our current problem, but I wonder how long on alkalines vs lithum the device will work without the backlight at all, I'm sure it would be impressive as just dimming it add 6 hour of run time for the alkaline battery)
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #2212 on: September 14, 2015, 09:34:57 am »
I have some more data!

It's hilarious how the one with the boost converters (simulating batterisers) gets the shortest time.  That's using inductors that wouldn't fit into the batteriser.

[...]

Link to full resolution image:

How did you measure the boosted battery voltage? I guess you had to measure both batteries individually or so as there was a boost converter in between them?

Probably Batteroo's next defense will be that Batterisers are meant to work with Lithium cells. Remember where you read it first  8)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2213 on: September 14, 2015, 09:37:51 am »
Great Results !!

Jay_Diddy_B
nb. It also busts their "current spikes" theory. There's plenty of current spikes on there but it didn't seem to bother the GPS.

Offline onlooker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2214 on: September 14, 2015, 12:07:24 pm »
only use batteriser AFTER your product stops working,
The point about  using boost converter on exhausted batterie is an interesting thing to put to test now.  A percentage number in time gained should indicate what batteriser can do in a best case scenario (for such GPS). I hope you still have those dead batteries.

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #2215 on: September 14, 2015, 12:43:31 pm »
The point about  using boost converter on exhausted batterie is an interesting thing to put to test now.  A percentage number in time gained should indicate what batteriser can do in a best case scenario (for such GPS). I hope you still have those dead batteries.
You would have to allow the non-converterised setup to recover equally long as the batteries that you "recycle" using a converter and see how long both will run. All graphs clearly show the batteries recover after the GPS as powered off.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2216 on: September 14, 2015, 01:17:43 pm »

That could very well be dependent upon how long you let the batteries recover.
Not that they regain any extra energy of course, but the dynamic ionic ESR can play a role here.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2217 on: September 14, 2015, 01:20:45 pm »
nb. It also busts their "current spikes" theory. There's plenty of current spikes on there but it didn't seem to bother the GPS.

And that was the entire premise of their "technical" video  :palm:
Of course, it might have some merit on a few (poorly designed) products, but busted on their own carefully selected product, the GPS!  :-DD

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2218 on: September 14, 2015, 01:20:56 pm »
Haven't you seen the video? It instantly goes from 2% to 100%!

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #2219 on: September 14, 2015, 01:27:34 pm »
So true...

I'll buy 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 of them! Please please please!!!

Imagine a Batteriser used after a solar panel or a wind turbine you will be able to go to Pluto with that!
I can't even imagine a 800% more energy from a nuclear power plant.... That would be more than just awesome.....  :scared:

:popcorn:
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline rt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2220 on: September 14, 2015, 01:31:24 pm »
I know the Aussie media will be more concerned with matters in Canberra today but any sign of publications from Fairfax concerning a certain Sydney-side rabble rouser?!

I presume they wouldn't be up for including 5ky's graph above (nice work) as part of the fair and balanced coverage.

rt
Until proven otherwise, all TED talk presenters should be considered as charismatic charlatans.

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #2221 on: September 14, 2015, 01:51:57 pm »
So true...

I'll buy 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 of them! Please please please!!!

Imagine a Batteriser used after a solar panel or a wind turbine you will be able to go to Pluto with that!
I can't even imagine a 800% more energy from a nuclear power plant.... That would be more than just awesome.....  :scared:

:popcorn:
Why go through all the trouble if you can fit a batteriser over a batteriser over an AA cel? As you may know batterisers come in 4-packs ... clip one on the other and you have 4096 times more energy from a single AA cell.

With all the batterisers ordered so far, you can actually solve the worlds energy problems if you only connected them all together.  ::) I bet Big Batteriser didn't mention this because they want to sell as many batterisers as possible, thus they will probably advise against using them in this way.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:57:08 pm by jippie »

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #2222 on: September 14, 2015, 01:59:42 pm »
It's not 4096!

It's 6561 times more! ( 9^4, 800% more of i => 9*i )
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #2223 on: September 14, 2015, 02:24:45 pm »
How did they manage to get only 2 hours?

By being blatant liars

Yeah, pretty much...  They know what they're doing.  They're playing "confuse and confound" with the general public (who they know full well can't be expected to understand the details of the engineering that goes into something like this) to obfuscate the truth.  That's why they haven't published a single piece of actual test data.  It would either have to be completely fudged data or some kind of misleading edge case, otherwise it's going to show exactly what we already knew from the outset.  :palm:

It's those pesky laws of physics getting in the way again...  :)

a) We know they stopped the test where the blue line jumps upwards on that graph (claiming the batteries are dead there when they aren't)
b) We can see they have a cheap current measuring device attached to it, burden voltage unknown.

Yes, precisely.

a) For one thing, it seems that they're saying when the GPS informs you that it's activating it's Alkaline power saver feature to give you maximum battery life that this is the "product failing, shutting off".  This is completely untrue.

b) Obviously, either the batteries were not new with full capacity (unlikely) or all the added resistance of their goofy and horrible test setup is sapping extra power AND making the battery voltage seen at the GPS significantly lower than the actual battery terminal voltage.  This goes back to the original video debacle with the monkey where they claim the test setup needs to be correct, etc. and then blatently do it incorrectly over and over, again and again in various hilarious ways.  :palm:

How did you measure the boosted battery voltage? I guess you had to measure both batteries individually or so as there was a boost converter in between them?

5ky is using a single boost converter around the pair of batteries.  Contrary to what Batteroo claims (that we must use their super-duper-extra-funky Batterizer brand boost converter which has magic-like efficiency,) this actually gives Batterizer the benefit of the doubt with regard to converter efficiency as it is very likely that even if they have a more efficient single converter than 5ky has tested here, once you put two of them (or 4,6,8 of them) in series you're likely going to waste significantly more power total in those multiple converter stages even though each one is doing a smaller "boost" in voltage.  (Each one still has to do the full current, though, of course...)  :palm:

edit: I was incorrect.  5ky is using two converters, see post #2248 below.  It is still likely that you would lose efficiency in the total system as you put more and more converters in series, though, I would expect, so I've not removed the preceding paragraph.

The point about using boost converter on exhausted batterie is an interesting thing to put to test now.

You would have to allow the non-converterised setup to recover equally long as the batteries that you "recycle" using a converter and see how long both will run.

This would be a valid best-case-scenario test and similar to someone going to the junk drawer and pulling out a couple of "dead" batteries (which Batterizer essentially claims will work tickety-boo).  This eliminates the converter losses during the actual real life of the battery. 

The problem is there is no significant energy actually left in the battery so using the GPS example, you're only going to get a few more minutes of runtime after letting the batteries "recover" whether you're using an extra boost converter or just the one already built into the GPS.  It should generally be slightly shorter with an extra boost converter added due to the additional losses but will again depend on the cutout voltages of each converter and the actual chemical capacity left in the cell.  Recharging a standard alkaline (which will never get you anywhere close to full capacity again but will reverse the chemical reaction and put some power back into the cell) will net you far more total use time from the cell than any Batterizer ever could...

All graphs clearly show the batteries recover after the GPS as powered off.

The open circuit, unloaded terminal voltage will recover somewhat but the battery itself is still essentially chemically depleted and only a small amount of extra energy will be able to be extracted due to the chemistry having a chance to settle and the maximum amount of anode and cathode exposed to electrolyte, etc.  As has been explained and demonstrated repeatedly, the unloaded voltage doesn't really tell you anything about the capacity remaining in a battery of any chemistry type.  (Well, I suppose if you measure 0.125 volts on a cell that should be more like 1.56v new, you can deduce that you're not looking at a battery with any significant capacity left.  :) )  As Dave showed and explained in his videos, just because it measures 1.5v doesn't mean it has any usable energy left at all.

In high-drain, long-term loads where there is actually significant physical heating of the cell this effect will be amplified because the cell will have a chance to cool, the resistance of elements will drop, etc. so you will be able to extract a bit more total energy compared to a low-drain device but it's still going to be a pretty small fraction of the total battery capacity.

800%, even 80%, my arse!  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:35:57 pm by drussell »

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #2224 on: September 14, 2015, 02:40:53 pm »
If they don't put some disclaimers in their instructions manual that says "only use batteriser AFTER your product stops working, else you'll get reduced battery life.", I would be very surprised.

They can't really do that either because then you lose that "power of suggestion" effect.  If people only put the Batterizer on cells when they're already dead, they will soon realize that they're only getting a small fraction of additional power when the thing dies shortly thereafter and they have to install fresh batteries.  Batteroo are relying on the fact that the average consumer isn't going to actually critically analyze the length of time the batteries last and may be fooled into thinking they're getting longer battery life (when in fact it will probably actually be shorter in almost every use case.)

edit: The only way to partially get around this would be for the Batterizer to be bypassing the boost converter until voltage drops to some setpoint and then activating it but then what do you set your cut-in threshold to in order to work with all devices? etc. etc.  Set it too high and you waste too much power.  Set it too low and you won't get those huge gains on the one-off oddball, poorly/erroneously designed or faulty product that could actually benefit from the boost because you'll hit the product's cutoff voltage first....  :palm:  fail, Fail, FAIL...

Great work on the measurements, by the way, 5ky!  :)  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:57:00 pm by drussell »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf