plain ole wd40 is all you need
plain ole wd40 is all you need
Careful, there are lots of WD40 products, you need to specify which one, eg the WD40 cleaner, the Water Displacer, etc. People have fallen foul of this before on the forum. You don't want to end up with an oily residue.
I find ordinary Meths (Methylated spirits
*) and a piece of kitchen towel a very effective cable cleaner for standard PVC insulated cables of the type the OP mentioned.
* https://www.simplesolvents.com/simple-solvents-blog/methylated-spirits
there are lots of WD40 products,
im sure there never used to be,i'm on about the original,bog standard ,wd40.
IPA, paper towel or microfiber cloth, and elbow grease.
I use naptha to clean lots of things. Works as well as IPA, less volatile (doesn't evaporate as quickly) and doesn't seem to hurt any of the materials I've used it on.
But there are lots of solvents that will work.
I start with Windex. Then 70% IPA for stubborn stuff.
Most glass cleaners include some percent IPA.
there are lots of WD40 products,
im sure there never used to be,i'm on about the original,bog standard ,wd40.
That's what happens when you're stupid enough to give your company the same name as your first product
* 
As I mentioned, there have been several previous 'discussions' along the lines of "spray your sensitive switch with WD40"... "don't be a moron!" when it turns out that the poor first poster was actually referring to WD40 switch cleaner (which appears more common in the US). I notice that the OP has posted an image of WD40 Silicone spray (which might be more common in Australia).
Personally I avoid the traditional WD40 because it is designed to leave a rust repellant film on surfaces, (and having Silicone spray around will contaminate your work area, switch contacts etc).
One of the other concoctions containing
IPA Ethanol is safest. I use meths because it is cheaper and more easily available (diy store) - I keep my good IPA for more critical tasks.
* https://www.wd40.com/[Accidental double quote of themadhippy's post rempved]
Don't forget good old soap and water and a bit of scrubbing. It's usually better than mild organic solvents like IPA and WD-40 for general cleaning of anything that won't be damaged by it.
Use whatever detergent, degreaser, solvent that is nonreactive with insulation. Then use a dilute detergent to rinse residue and lastly clean a few times with water, preferably distilled.
First cleans, second removes cleaner residue, third removes detergent. This is the way.
Most cables are PVC insulated, which is perfectly fine with IPA and ordinary household surface cleaners (Fantastik, 409, Cilit Bang, whatever’s common where you live). But yeah, soap and water accomplish a lot, too! There’s certainly no need for anything exotic!
Those soapy wipes (the ones that clog sewers) work well for easy cleaning. Again though I'd use a damp cloth to wipe it afterwards.
there are lots of WD40 products,
im sure there never used to be,i'm on about the original,bog standard ,wd40.
You are correct. There was the original product, simply known as WD-40, but it is now being used as a brand, under which there are
many products.
That's what happens when you're stupid enough to give your company the same name as your first product*
Yeah. Someone obviously wanted to make the most of the reputation the original product had built - but it was a really short-sighted move.
I notice that the OP has posted an image of WD40 Silicone spray (which might be more common in Australia).
Nope. While these other products are available if you look, the general perception in Australia is that mention of "WD-40" refers to the original product (with the oily residue). People need to be educated that it is now a
brand, with several products
under that brand.
Most cables are PVC insulated, which is perfectly fine with IPA and ordinary household surface cleaners (Fantastik, 409, Cilit Bang, whatever’s common where you live). But yeah, soap and water accomplish a lot, too! There’s certainly no need for anything exotic!
Now, its no something I've studied, just observed and adjusted my cleaning to suit, but it appears that PVC is prone to a couple of different kinds of 'soiling' that don't always lift with a single solvent. There's definately the usual day-to-day grime of oils and dust combined which clears easily with soapy water; but also seems that rubberised PVC has a tendency to develop a much more tenacious grime even when simply left in storage in anything other than totally benign clean dry air... dunno if that's something anybody can shed any light on towards finding the ideal combo of solvents?
If I have a can of Servisol anti-staic foam cleaner nearby, I use that in first instance, it seems to get most things. Would probably follow up with soapy water, IPA or naptha, depenging on its proximity to hand. I was glad to see the suggestion of naptha, seems to be an underapprechiated solvent.
PVC is made flexible by the addition of a plasticiser. Avoid anything which will leave an oily residue on the cable, because the plasticiser can leach out into the oil, causing the cable to become brittle. Alcohol based solvents are generally safer to use with PVC, than oil based ones.
cables can come with all sorts of sheathing material, this especially when you leave the home/commercial world for the world of industrial cables. Some of these materials will be sensitive to various chemicals but more likely they are designed to resist the common exposures they receive in the industrial world.
the problem with cables, outside the industrial world, is that the common PVC insulation used widely is degraded by oils and probably some solvents. As such I'd avoid anything with petroleum based cleaning agents and use soap and water. PVC insulation will actually become brittle when exposed to hydraulic oil for example.