. I've used them as clock source, testing counter IC's, testing amplifier bandwidth, testing dynamic range (clipping), measuring capacitance/inductance, injecting signals in circuits and much more.
. I haven't seen many good portable function generators, but I haven't searched either. Most are bench style, so unless you have a specific need for portable, you should probably get a bench one. I'm not a fan of portable instruments for lab use. With bench instruments, I don't have to change batteries, I can just stack them, they often have better controls and displays, and they just stay in their place (unlike the DMM stand issue that Dave just published).

I bought a BK 3010 off ebay for $20 shipped. It's pretty old but it can output up to 1MHz. So cheap


I have a TEK FG504 and AFG5101. Both are TM500 modules. The FG is an analog unit that gores up to 40 MHz and 30 volts and the AFG is programmable and all digital, but only hits 12 MHZ. You can fine these on ebay, sometimes for reasonable prices.
As stated, for distortion or higher frequencies you will need something other than a function generator. The digital products generally have excellent frequency and amplitude stability. Square waves are generally limited in rise time, so be aware. Triangle is cute, but rarely used for most testing.
I would advise looking on ebay, and stick with known, big name brands. You can get a lot of instrument very cheap.
I have dealt with: http://www.users.uswest.net/~jbau/tstequip.htm He has very nice stuff at reasonable prices.
Paul
http://www.tequipment.net/InstekSFG-1003.html
Just be aware many old analog FG are RLC based, so older one's risk being much off spec. They could also be subtly damaged if, in its lifetime, its outputs were subjected to high inputs during prototyping.
Any digital FC is superior, smaller, more reliable than old analog counters you can find on eBay.
Thank You, now I know what to look for now.... 1MHz - 20MHz @ 20Vpp w/ BK, ect.
. 1mHz might be nice but rarely needed, 1Hz sounds about right.


Any digital FC is superior, smaller, more reliable than old analog counters you can find on eBay.I consider a counter to be an inherently digital instrument, apart from the analog signal conditioning and triggering. How would you design an analog counter, charging a capacitor with pulses and measuring the voltage after the gate time, like a reverse integrating ADC? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Even those really old counters with nixie tubes are digital, although the gates might be designed with tubes.
Some useful features in counters are selectable trigger levels, multiple channels (and features like A/B and A->B) and a stable internal reference.
I meant the upper range of frequency, 1Hz - 10MHz or 20MHz.
When you mean it's easier to fix analog generators; what does a analog not have vs. a good digital generator? Also is it better to purchase rather than a DIY kit like Dave always talks about in his oscilloscope forum.
When you mean it's easier to fix analog generators; what does a analog not have vs. a good digital generator? Also is it better to purchase rather than a DIY kit like Dave always talks about in his oscilloscope forum.
http://www.tequipment.net/InstekSFG-1003.htmlThose appears to be really good specs for the price, I don't think a new analog function generator in that range is much cheaper. It would be nice to find someone with real-world experiences to see if there are any issues that are not apparent from the datasheet (as some Chinese products tend to be: good specs, but bad for real-world use, like the Rigol AFG).
Given the choice between old high quality equipment or new cheap stuff, I would usually choose the former. But a new technique like DDS might just be enough to make me swing to the other side (not that I need another FG).

Just be aware many old analog FG are RLC based, so older one's risk being much off spec. They could also be subtly damaged if, in its lifetime, its outputs were subjected to high inputs during prototyping.On the other hands, those specs are usually pretty broad to begin with, a function generator, especially an analog one, isn't exactly a precision instrument, so I normally wouldn't worry much about calibration (easy to test with a scope). But it might not be a good idea to buy one as-is, try to make sure it outputs at least some signal. The low-spec analog ones are probably not too hard to repair.
Sine waves from a DDS generator have much less distortion ..<snip>
Same with analog and digital scopes: except for the power supply, most digital scopes are essentially unrepairable, and there's rarely a schematic available. Analog scopes often have full schematics available, and in some cases (eg. Tektronix) excellent service manuals, and repair is much easier. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy anything made in the last twenty years or so, but I would be more hesitant to buy one with known defects or in unknown condition. But even modern highly-integrated stuff can have simple defects like electrolytic capacitors or tantalum capacitors (usually not that modern). I recently had a DDS function generator with a dead bridge rectifier (€0.25 part).
The gap between DIY/kit function generators and commercial function generators is much less than the gap between a DIY and commercial scope, so I wouldn't dismiss DIY/kit designs.<snip>
@saturation:
Thanks for the info! I never really considered how they measured frequency before they could build digital circuits (from whatever components) fast enough, although I did know about the grid dip meter.
I was going to ask a question, but I found the answer, so I'll post it in case someone finds it useful.
Looking at the specs of the GW Instek SFG-1003:
Sine Harmonic Distortion =
-55dBc, 0.1Hz~200kHz
-40dBc, 0.2MHz~4MHz
-30dBc, 4MHz~10MHz
(Specification applied from MAX. to 1/10 level)
Much of the audio world measures harmonic distortion as %THD. It's a straightforward logarithmic conversion, but I'm big time mathtarded.
This is where the 'in your head' calculation Dave talks about with dB comes in handy, if I could ever master it.
There's a website here which has a calculator that does exactly this.
Therefore the results for this machine =
0.18% 0.1Hz~200kHz
1.00% 0.2MHz~4MHz
3.17% 4MHz~10MHz
Hope that helps someone.
I'm not sure which spec sheet you read the other ranges from . . .
| Instek 1003 Shipped from Instek USA Detailed calibration certificate, traceable to CNAL, China's ~ NIST, with a strong emphasis on ISO 9001 compliance Paperwork in card stock, colored, clearly designed The unit was double boxed with stiffer cardboard Sealed cleanly with packing tape The outer box had some scarring, but was in almost as good shape as the inner box Paperwork sealed in heat fused plastic bags | Rigol 1052E Shipped from tequipment.net in NJ Calibration certificate traceable to a Fluke 9500B, we presume is NIST traceable Paperwork in laserprint paper Double boxed with softer cardboard Haphazardly sealed with Rigol labeled packing tape, many bubbles and folds, it wasn't aligned straight The outer box had much scarring, had streaks of black paint, and small holes paperwork sealed in ziplock bags |
I'm not sure which spec sheet you read the other ranges from . . .
I wasn't paying close enough attention. I copied the numbers straight off of tequipment's site, and I guess the specs in the table were from another model in the family.
I updated the numbers in the original post with data from the pdf datasheet on tequipment's servers, which agrees with the specs on Instek's site.
I'm glad someone caught it, there's egg on my face this time.
I have one. A new analog, or even another brand DDS, didn't come cheaper during my search ... the linked item was $153 delivered, in the USA. I ordered it from there and it was shipped from CA, I recall likely from Instek directly.
[...]
I haven't had time to actually quantitatively check the published specs over what I can measure, given my purpose solid stability isn't necessary, but DDS based FGs do raise the bar on price-performance. DDS is a key reason to consider a new FG over a good used analog FG, if one is in the market for an FG.
. The software issue with the Rigol AFG is such an issue, although a function generator without arbitrary waveform capability doesn't really need software.

I have one. A new analog, or even another brand DDS, didn't come cheaper during my search ... the linked item was $153 delivered, in the USA. I ordered it from there and it was shipped from CA, I recall likely from Instek directly.
[...]
I haven't had time to actually quantitatively check the published specs over what I can measure, given my purpose solid stability isn't necessary, but DDS based FGs do raise the bar on price-performance. DDS is a key reason to consider a new FG over a good used analog FG, if one is in the market for an FG.
I wasn't really talking about not meeting specs (Instek is a fairly reputable brand, so they probably got that one right), but other issues that can kill usability. Eg. loud fans, annoying user interface quirks, stupid control layout, unreadable display, bad documentation, that kind of stuff. The stuff Dave usually spends 90% of a review on. The software issue with the Rigol AFG is such an issue, although a function generator without arbitrary waveform capability doesn't really need software.
About testing audio amplifiers, if you really focus on that, a dedicated audio sine wave oscillator (eg. Tek SG502 or SG505) will probably have an even lower distortion and should be available for about the same price. Of course there's nothing wrong with using the equipment you have for multiple purposes, but I probably wouldn't buy a function generator specifically for distortion testing.
I agree with Alm. If you will be doing mostly audio work, an SG505 (0.008% distortion) or an SG502 (0.1% distortion) is a very good choice.. FGs are nice, but usually can not meet a 0.1% number over the frequency range.
Paul