The stay late at work was playing Age of Empires. One of us would go downstairs so we couldn't cheat by looking over at the other person's screen.
We did play Quake during lunch at another job. Then a few other people wanted to join in but they got motion sick from 3D games so we started shooting rounds of golf in Links.
I've enjoyed some of the later Bethesda offerings like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein Old Blood & New Order...
If you like a slower paced game, take a look at World of Warships. It's a multiplayer online WW2 era ship "simulator". Take the term simulator very loosely, for gameplay reasons they took some liberties to make it a bit more playable. Mind you, a battleship still feels really slow, but it's not quite "20 minutes to turn 360 degrees" slow. It's just when you look at the distance markers to other players you'll see that an average cruiser in this game does about 170 miles per hour

The controls are similar to any 3th person shooter, shouldn't take long to get used to it.
https://worldofwarships.com/The game is free to play. Their business model is very acceptable, you are not really at a disadvantage when you don't have a premium account, it will take longer to unlock upgrades though.
Last month I finally got to play the new Doom. Liked it very much, good music, straight forward action. Nice

Currently I'm playing The Witcher, wild hunt again. Addictivity over 9000.
[edit] Ah an yeah, Kerbal space program of course.
Once did actual calculations to get a stable orbit around the mun. My girlfriend called me nuts, to do calculations for a computer game. Told her to watch. Prepared for launch, launched....Solid booster flew away, spaceship fell over. Forgot to set up the staging. She laughed at me the whole evening
Hmm, I've started a long time ago, before PC's, later played various games, from Tetris to Q3. 15 years ago (how time flies) my son was a top 16 Q3 player in the world, so I had to play Q3 quite a bit. Now I am playing some old DOS games occasionally - Blockout, Digger, however mostly when I have few free minutes I play Blitz and Bullet (1 min a side) Chess online... .
Cheers
Alex
The Myst series
The Neverhood
Just started playing this cool little iPhone game yesterday called Digby Forever, imo it's very reminiscent of DigDug and a lot of fun. It's by local Melbourne game dev house 3 Sprockets (I know one of the devs).
https://appsto.re/au/P84keb.i
SKYRIM
...mic drop, discussion closed.
I've recently purchased Battlefield 1 in order to unveil all of its marvelous features, turns out that it wears out quickly. CSGO on the other hand is a passion of mine, I really need to dose how much I play it as I normally spend hours and hours playing competitive mode. Dota 2 once in a while.
Rollercoaster Tycoon 31&2
These games are pure evil. Before you know it, it's 3 days later, haven't slept and wonder why you're smelling so bad.
I'm also a big fan of the Monkey Island series:

Look, a three headed monkey!!!!!!
Best game ever

Too bad the copyrights went to the wrong people.....
I've been playing games for 25 years. Some of the ones I've spent the most time playing mixed in with some I think are among the best:
Quake
Doom and Doom II
Kerbal Space Program
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Lord of the Rings Online
SimCity (up to but not including 4)
Dishonored
Tomb Raider 2013
World of Warcraft and WoW: The Burning Crusade.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
Red Alert, Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge.
Counter-Strike (not Source)
Batman: Arkham Asylum; Arkham Knight.
Mass Effect.
GTA 3, 4 and 5.
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
Streets of Rage.
Maybe I'm getting old, but I like chess, especially the Atomic variant on
http://lichess.org And sometimes I play League of Legends, well, at least the cooperate games against the computer, I'm too bad for the normal game, but still fun to troll sometimes

Another nice game if I want to relax:
http://agar.io
I could never focus on computer chess for some reason, I need a physical chess board with real pieces in front of me to really play.
I've Just started playing computer games for the first time in my life. I'm 53 and I've not really had any interest up to now and I've always considered games as a waste of time. Spent my time messing with electronics as a teenager and computers where in their infancy so no games around.That is until I gave Portal a chance 2 weeks ago. I must say I'm enjoying the challenge and am surprised how enjoyable the game is. After I've finished portal I'll be going onto Portal 2 and trying to figure out Antichamber.
Just wondering what your favourite game is and what benefits do you get from playing it?
Time for some catching up

you missed out (a lot)!
Beside
ncsnipes on a Novell Network of course the (Network Multi Player), (anyone?)
John Carmack is da man!Old time favourite,
Quake! Quake world, Quake 3A.
Now-a-days: Destiny, GTA, BF.
Basically, anything which has a 'trigger' on a PS4
IMHO: Gaming is the perfect way to just kick back and relax.
Anyone interested in classic old games should check out The Internet Archive. In their software section they've got literally thousands of games - demos, play in your browser via an emulator, or download and install.
https://archive.org/details/software
I could never focus on computer chess for some reason, I need a physical chess board with real pieces in front of me to really play.
This would be difficult for Atomic:
What I really like about Atomic is that it is more strategic and faster, you don't need to think as many moves in advances. My rating for this variant is about 1800. Of course, there are players with +2500 ratings, which I guess do think lots of moves in advance.
The "Horde" variant is fun, too, but I'm not good at it.
I'm just the opposite with chess. I guess I am too self-conscious of making bad moves. I'll play against the computer (learned with one of those old electronic units that had an actual board and pieces, just press your piece when moving), but I have never played against another person.
Ah, ncsnipe - now that was a classic.
Question to the gamers! Nephew wants to buy a game console atom Z8700 Tablet PC
GPD-X7 .... maybe someone had experience with this console. What are your impressions from the use.
Multi user TANK under RSX11m, nothing to beat the adrenalin of shooting at a bunch of other engineers, all hammering away at their VT100 keyboards... especially when someone fired too long a volley and things started slowing down just as you tried to run for cover. Amazing what you could do with the ascii character set.
Multi user TANK under RSX11m, nothing to beat the adrenalin of shooting at a bunch of other engineers, all hammering away at their VT100 keyboards... especially when someone fired too long a volley and things started slowing down just as you tried to run for cover. Amazing what you could do with the ascii character set. 
I wonder if someone has that in an emulator. I had no idea such a thing existed back when I had a PDP 11 with RSX11 on it at my disposal.