-
OT:Favourite computer games
Posted by
djsb
on 04 Jan, 2014 21:51
-
I've Just started playing computer games for the first time in my life. I'm 53 and I've not really had any interest up to now and I've always considered games as a waste of time. Spent my time messing with electronics as a teenager and computers where in their infancy so no games around.That is until I gave Portal a chance 2 weeks ago. I must say I'm enjoying the challenge and am surprised how enjoyable the game is. After I've finished portal I'll be going onto Portal 2 and trying to figure out Antichamber.
Just wondering what your favourite game is and what benefits do you get from playing it?
David.
PS I have found that this game also help to improve problem solving skills which are important when trying to solve technical problems. So it's not entirely off topic in my opinion.
-
-
I'm currently hooked on Kerbal Space Program. Build your own rocket and try to land it on the Mun or even another planet. It's actually quite educational. The game did take some shortcuts with the orbital physics, buy overall it's reasonably close to how it actually works in real life.
Scott Manley makes lots of videos of the game:
-
-
been a long time sine i played it but id's Doom (PC) is right up there on my list along with Elite (Spectrum or Atari ST). Doom lead to Quake where i spent too many hours playing QuakeWorld online with my 28.8 modem!
as for modern games, i love Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto series on the playstation
-
#3 Reply
Posted by
Rerouter
on 04 Jan, 2014 23:19
-
My favorite all-time was "Starlancer" but i still have never managed to get the thing to not crash after a certain point on every computer i've owned from the 1990's to now, which means i still haven't been able to play more than half way through it!

next up was defiantly portal 1, brilliant game made better by the minimalistic approach taken to keep the game under a certain size, (no music or advanced textures)
after that, would be halo 1, i love the mission "assault on the control room" and as a kid would almost play it in a loop, creating my own challenges, like getting past a stage without alerting any enemies, or even time trialing myself, and the best bit ever, finding big shortcuts.like hijacking a banshee or walking up the spire to the control room door.
-
#4 Reply
Posted by
TheBorg
on 04 Jan, 2014 23:26
-
Encompassing computer and phone... I don't have many favorite games.. I'm not a gamer. If I only had the time...
Jet Car Stunts (phone -probably my all time favorite- with a brand new sequel!)
JCS2
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
X-Plane (yes, I'm a nerd, but aren't we all here?)
Telnet Zork. Need to get this finished soon. Too addicting, and I was born wayyy after the game to enjoy it then.
-
#5 Reply
Posted by
Neilm
on 04 Jan, 2014 23:28
-
I think the Civilisation series would have to go down as some of the best. You start off in 4000BC with no technology and have to either conquer the world or reach Alpha Century before 2100AD.
For shooting games, the Deus Ex series. Full of investigations, little side missions and enough conspiracy theories to keep anyone confused.
-
#6 Reply
Posted by
ixfd64
on 04 Jan, 2014 23:46
-
I really like the classic first-person shooters (such as Doom and Duke Nukem 3D), although I also enjoy RPGs. I'm playing Blades of Exile right now.
-
#7 Reply
Posted by
Lightages
on 05 Jan, 2014 00:13
-
It is hard to beat Half Life and all the subsequent series for entertainment. I also was involved in playing Counter Strike in gaming leagues but online gaming lost its attraction with the influx of 12 year old snot nosed brats doing anything they could to piss off every other player on the server. Quake 3 Arena is also fun for some mindless run and gun.
-
#8 Reply
Posted by
manzini
on 05 Jan, 2014 01:14
-
take a look:
- Minecraft: a c. XXI Lego.
- Total anhiliation thru free spring RTS engine
http://springrts.com.
- Terraria: maze & maze & maze
- Civilization saga
- Supreme commander: RTS (fast & furious)
and.... coming soon, now on open beta UPDATE!!!! UBI SOFT CANCELLED, THEN..... EVE ONLINE AND GOODBYE UBI SOFT:
- Silent Hunter online
http://www.silenthunteronline.com/
-
#9 Reply
Posted by
Hydrawerk
on 05 Jan, 2014 02:11
-
-
#10 Reply
Posted by
GreyWoolfe
on 05 Jan, 2014 03:48
-
DOOM, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Castle Wolfenstein. I would love to get my hands on a copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
-
#11 Reply
Posted by
Vgkid
on 05 Jan, 2014 03:50
-
Age of Empires 2, Battlefield 1942/ Vietnam. Those were also the last major computer gaming that i have done.
-
-
- Total anhiliation thru free spring RTS engine http://springrts.com.
I loved TA, best RTS imho
- Supreme commander: RTS (fast & furious)
When people said this game was the spiritual successor, I gave it a whirl and quite frankly hated it, no idea why.
-
#13 Reply
Posted by
GeoffS
on 05 Jan, 2014 04:16
-
A job I had in the early 70's was repairing arcade games. Hours of having to play games to test them rather put me off later computer games.
Also the fast moving ones tend to induce nausea, I think it's a form of motion sickness which is strange seeing I have no problems travelling by air or in boats.
-
-
I am a massive fan of military strategy games. I really like wargame airland battle and Rome 2 total war. Wargame is a historical game based on the standoff in the cold war. It is what would have happened if a land war got out of control. It's very realistic and modern. I usually play as west germany, I just love the leopard 2 tank soo much. Their aircraft suck though

I am a much better player on rome2 though. Its another historical game... I was rank 522 in the world a couple months ago. I have stopped playing it for the moment because school ramped up...
-
-
take a look:
- Minecraft: a c. XXI Lego.
- Total anhiliation thru free spring RTS engine http://springrts.com.
- Terraria: maze & maze & maze
- Civilization saga
- Supreme commander: RTS (fast & furious)
and.... coming soon, now on open beta:
- Silent Hunter online http://www.silenthunteronline.com/
supreme commander has a economy system that I really love. the concept of mass and energy storage is really interesting. It really you look at purchases in terms of the first derivative as you build them.
-
#16 Reply
Posted by
Stonent
on 05 Jan, 2014 06:15
-
I've Just started playing computer games for the first time in my life. I'm 53 and I've not really had any interest up to now and I've always considered games as a waste of time. Spent my time messing with electronics as a teenager and computers where in their infancy so no games around.That is until I gave Portal a chance 2 weeks ago. I must say I'm enjoying the challenge and am surprised how enjoyable the game is. After I've finished portal I'll be going onto Portal 2 and trying to figure out Antichamber.
Just wondering what your favourite game is and what benefits do you get from playing it?
David.
PS I have found that this game also help to improve problem solving skills which are important when trying to solve technical problems. So it's not entirely off topic in my opinion.
There's also Portal Prelude which I think is a free download for Portal users.
-
#17 Reply
Posted by
Rerouter
on 05 Jan, 2014 07:49
-
There's also Portal Prelude which I think is a free download for Portal users.
Thank you !
-
#18 Reply
Posted by
james_s
on 13 Feb, 2017 07:30
-
I haven't played many computer games in a long time but I always really liked Warcraft II and Age of Empires II, especially playing multiplayer with some friends over a network. I played quite a bit of Doom, Quake, Duke Nuken 3D back in the day too. There are high res 3D accelerated engines for the latter two now. If you like puzzle games, The 7th Guest was one of my favorites, it's ancient by current standards but the puzzles are still fun. That game was the "killer app" that sold a lot of CD-ROM drives back when those were a new thing.
-
#19 Reply
Posted by
Halcyon
on 13 Feb, 2017 07:45
-
Sim City 2000 hands down my favourite game of all time.
-
#20 Reply
Posted by
GK
on 13 Feb, 2017 08:51
-
Massive waste of time

I still have an Amiga 600, C64, Beeb, Sega Megadrive and Saturn, along with a poop load of games, stashed in the closet. In the last 15 years I wouldn't have spent more than five hours in total playing video games. If I pull a games machine out of the closet now out of a rare pang of nostalgia after half an hour or so of staring at the screen I'm typically already feeling quite comatose; even quicker in general than when reading through forum threads or internet dating site profiles, which is something I found slightly disturbing, considering just how much time I spent playing computer games throughout my high school years. Guess I've grown up.
-
-
War Thunder is a free to play MMP (32 players max) WWII flight and tank simulator.
I have a few 'net' friends with whom I regularly squad up with for a game and a bit of banter. Sure beats TV.
Kerbal sure taught me a lot about space travel( from a low base) but haven't played it for a while.
-
#22 Reply
Posted by
rrinker
on 13 Feb, 2017 12:58
-
Always love The Incredible machine series. There is a Rube Goldberg app for IOS and Android, but it was disappointingly short. Nicely based on actual Goldberg cartoons, but not very many - I completed it on a single plane flight.
The last serious playing I did was back with Return to Castle Wolfenstein and the original Call of Duty. You know, back when instead of relying on the game company's servers, you ran your own. And they had scripting code so you could make mods to the games. I played with an online group where we were all fans of using the sniper rifles. In general online play we were often called cheaters because of our accuracy, so we made our own server and our own maps specially designed for a sniper v sniper gameplay - in cases where other weapons could be found, they actually did no damage. It was fun to find some disgruntled wannabe spawn with a machine gun and you could just stand there while they unloaded and nothing would happen to you. In CoD we had an option as mods to turn someone into a flaming cow. Literally, a cow on fire would be running around/ The worst possible thing would be to be killed by someone who was turned into the cow - they had about 30 seconds of life but they could still shoot you.
I've been on the Kerbal thing since it was first offered in beta, but I haven't played much lately. I also got heavily into World of Tanks, WWII era tank combat, but haven't played that for a while either.
-
-
I am more into XBOX but one series of games you can get on PC that are absolutely amazing are the Batman Arkham games (Asylum, City, Knight). They are in my top 10 or maybe 5 list for sure. Then there is Red Dead redemption and a whole lot from Rockstar... the early Assassins creed games (prior to 3)... oh boy know I wanna play.
-
#24 Reply
Posted by
NottheDan
on 13 Feb, 2017 13:48
-
I am too old to play computer games today.
You are not too old.
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/NgiJvAs for my own favourites - the Civilization series, Morrowind, Minecraft and the Fallout series.