Author Topic: Solar Freakin' floating panels  (Read 1724 times)

Offline oxcartTopic starter

• Contributor
Solar Freakin' floating panels
« on: May 08, 2024, 08:10:42 pm »
Someone forward this to Dave.. :D :D :D

How it started:

How it is going:
https://t.me/intelslava/59387

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: Solar Freakin' floating panels
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 08:14:56 pm »
At least there was no fire  :-DD
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 09:02:29 pm »
Nobody loses. ;D

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 09:15:03 am »
Not the same plant though, India != Indonesia.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 11:21:10 am »
Not enough strength to handle the loads and someone clearly screwed up the anchoring. If they made it more light weight and kept it below the surface I doubt it would happen.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 11:24:22 am by Marco »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 11:38:25 am »
Not enough strength to handle the loads and someone clearly screwed up the anchoring. If they made it more light weight and kept it below the surface I doubt it would happen.
Makes no sense whatsoever. Ho being more lightweight is supposed to help? Not to say keep below the surface?:o

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 12:59:59 pm »
If it's flat on the water, it's only the oscillating momentum of the waves which causes forces.

All that structure above the water creating windload just amplifies the required amount of material
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 01:07:33 pm by Marco »

Offline oxcartTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2024, 02:25:11 pm »
Not the same plant though, India != Indonesia.
I'm aware of that, for  what i could find i think there's some country mixup, because the only solar freakin' floatin' plant by Masdar is in Indonesia https://masdar.ae/en/renewables/our-projects?&technology=Floating%20Solar%20PV

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2024, 02:30:33 pm »
If it's flat on the water, it's only the oscillating momentum of the waves which causes forces.

All that structure above the water creating windload just amplifies the required amount of material
So how  this has anything to do with weight, not to say more weight = more inertia = it does not move as much. As of below the water, if you want something that produces way less electricity and also overgrows with algae, sure.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2024, 03:17:57 pm »
i think there's some country mixup, because the only solar freakin' floatin' plant by Masdar is in Indonesia https://masdar.ae/en/renewables/our-projects?&technology=Floating%20Solar%20PV

Indeed, the Masdar plant is in Indonesia, as exlained in the video you shared. In contrast, the world's largest floating solar plant was built (presumably by some other company) in Madhya Pradesh, India, and was badly damaged in a storm in April. The mixup is on your end.

Maybe they should build some wind turbines instead, since they do seem to have wind in Madhya Pradesh after all... 

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2024, 03:01:10 pm »
I wonder could that attract animals to loiter on them and use them as a crossing.

At least there was no fire  :-DD
Joke: It'd be put out by the water and with the kangroo's turning up in India they could go hopping over them to reach the other side.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 03:11:37 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2024, 03:35:04 pm »
The idea with PV on water is not so bad, if they have the right places. In some areas land is scare and the solar installation can reduce the evaporation from reservours. On the water the cells are also relatively cool and thus can give good efficiency. It is still not without problems: the wave action is additional stress and birds find nice resting places, so that the panels get dirty in some areas.
I don't see animals using them for crossing the water (usually they are more something for small to medium size lakes, not rivers). The shade may effect the water life, not necessary bad, but a change.

Wind can be a problem on rather large water areas, less with smaller ones.

Having occasionally strong storms does not mean that they get good wind for wind power. Peak wind and average wind not always come together, though exposed places amplify both.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, MrMobodies

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 12:55:36 pm »
Solar panels benefit from being cooled so placing them on water seems beneficial. I don't know how they would deal with the waves, because, unless the panels are infinitely stiff, there will be flex and possible stress fractures.
But then again people put panels on rooftops where they get beat by rain and wind and sometimes micrometeorites.

Slowing down evaporation would drive up the water temperature, so aquatic life would have to either adapt or die off. But that's assuming the installation is big enough to cause enough change.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2024, 04:23:41 pm »
The position on the water is different from installation on a roof or similar. Especially where land is scare or with additional benefit to the lake it can still make sense. An example for this is in singapore.
It may not be the best solution and not a real game changer, but it could still make sense. Way better than solar road ways and similar.
https://www.pub.gov.sg/Public/WaterLoop/Sustainability/Solar/Floating

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2024, 09:09:33 pm »
We need even more of these projects for sure. :-DD

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2024, 10:16:50 am »
The position on the water is different from installation on a roof or similar. Especially where land is scare or with additional benefit to the lake it can still make sense. An example for this is in singapore.
It may not be the best solution and not a real game changer, but it could still make sense. Way better than solar road ways and similar.
https://www.pub.gov.sg/Public/WaterLoop/Sustainability/Solar/Floating

There is nothing worse than solar freaking roadways  :-DD
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf