Also make-up pads may be treated with who knows what.

I explicitly recommend Andreas design, especially the additional capacitors in parallel to each base-emitter diodes of the LTZ1000s transistors, that's C11 and C12 in his schematic.
It's definitely not true, that these capacitors affect the stability of the circuit, the opposite is correct.
I have added these two capacitors to my original prototype design from 2009 (it's in principle the datasheet circuit).
That greatly improved the EMI suppression, and the circuit shows no longer such spikes, even when a switch mode P.S.U. is present directly near the box.
Before that, the RF shifted the ovens set point and in turn the reference voltage (reversible change)
I don't think the rather small current noise and even the current peaks at the input of an AZ OP would be a problem for the LTZ1000 chip. These are just minute changes and thus should not be enough to really disturb the silicon. I won't be too much concerned about the silicon itself.
I think I might have been misunderstood and didn't explain very well - apologies: When I mentioned that caps can disturb the stability of the circuit, I should have said "degrades the stability of the LTZ die".
So: If you're going to run the LTZ circuit exposed to noise: on a bare exposed PCB without of a proper shielded enclosure - in a way that it was never intended - I can see that the extra caps on the LTZ pins would be a band-aid type of fix to hide some of those noise glitches. The problem with that is that it can increase the magnitude of current noise -across the LTZ die. The concern is the extra caps have provided a low-impedance reservoir of charge to allow higher LTZ peak noise current flow in response to external noise energy. Excess LTZ noise current is a direct contributor to degrading long term (> 5yr) stability of the LTZ die substrate, or cause the die to never quite achieve it's most relaxed, lowest energy crystalline state. The LTZ zener makes it's own noise for sure, but you -really- don't want to do anything to add to that.
If you're running a switcher power supply next to the LTZ circuit and those caps made the glitches disappear - you've certainly hidden the voltage glitches, but the LTZ die still is exposed to the current noise, which is not recommended. This is the same reason LT explicitly does not recommend a '2057 current driver with it's very high input current spikes injected onto the LTZ die if you're not careful.
Before Andreas complains, I know: The circuit will still work with AZ amp and extra caps of course - but if you want best long term stability for decades adding caps and/or AZ amps is not the recommended best practice. If you've tried every other way and the caps are the only solution for your application, then that's what you have to do...But there is probably something else wrong, like inadequate shielded enclosure or too much noise nearby in the lab. We would never, ever run a switcher power supply next a sensitive circuit during a measure, we always go to battery power for serious measures - Period. But that's how we have to do it for many more reasons than operating an LTZ.
Again - I've built several hundred compact boards, no slots or crop circles, and they go into well shielded enclosures, LTZ-A version soldered directly down onto the board, air-draft covered, and no real stability issues for decades. A working LTZ circuit will not generate random large output spikes on it's own. The circuit -itself- should NOT need those extra caps if you build it correctly, as per LT recommendations. They are the manufacturer and have a good source of long-term feedback data working with every major test equipment manufacturer - so I rely on their experience along with what I've witnessed for decades. That's all I can offer.
If you find the extra caps are required for your application, then you do what is required. For me I'd find the root cause of the noise first and deal with it at that level - remove the noise source or increase LTZ circuit shielding as required, quit making the board too big with long antenna traces, etc, etc, etc. That way you know you're protecting the LTZ die as much as possible from injected noise energy. You -never- want to throw caps at something like an LTZ to try to hide a voltage glitch that shouldn't be there if a better method is available. The "let's throw capacitors at the circuit until the output noise goes way" approach should be last line of defense for LTZ circuits, and usually indicates a bigger problem with the board design or enclosure - or lack of enclosure.
For sure, do what you need to that best works for your application - everyone has different needs.
Dr. Frank,
Thanks for sharing. I originally tried for that form factor but I wanted it to fit in an extruded enclosure which resulted in much less space along the two edges that fit in the slots. I agree with the dual resistor option for whatever parts are available.
I look forward to your build and testing of the multiple references.
You are probably correct on the high initial drift of my reference. There could have been excessive heat applied at soldering. I hope this one isn't a wash but it certainly won't stop me from building more. I sense my Ultrohm Plus resistors are not far from being finished and I would like to be ready with the next version. All options will be considered and I will add places for the extra film caps but I won't initially install them. They will at least be optional and won't need to be bodged into the board.


@ dr Frank,
I really interested about double shielding / guarding, like in Flukes calibrators but I have doubt about what exactly You talking about, can you tell / show a little bit about it.

The smart things are:
- single sided, so that all thermal junctions are on one side, and virtually at the same temperature.
- The layout is optimized for thermal symmetry, and all reference resistors and supplies are strung rigorously towards the two star points, -Ref and +Ref.
....
wouldn't guard traces be important to the uA level traces ? and since traces have no mask? or it doesnt matter as long it is cleaned and sealed?
The smart things are:
- single sided, so that all thermal junctions are on one side, and virtually at the same temperature.
- The layout is optimized for thermal symmetry, and all reference resistors and supplies are strung rigorously towards the two star points, -Ref and +Ref.
wouldnt guard traces be important to the uA level traces ? and since traces have no mask? or it doesnt matter as long it is cleaned and sealed?
For sure, do what you need to that best works for your application - everyone has different needs.
This is an area where theory ends and and reality begins.
At least the simulations show that adding capacitance at the transistors (base to emitter) reduces the phase margin. Together with capacitive loading this could go all the way to oscillation.
You need something of much more substantial thickness than a candy tin.
would 3mm be considered thick in your lab?
I am planning on adding a 3D printed cover for the board. Is there any benefit with using a conductive coating on it similar to how Keithley did their 2001/2002 design? MG Super Shield comes to mind but I wouldn't use it unless it is worth the investment.
For sure, do what you need to that best works for your application - everyone has different needs.
Hello,
these are true words.
But it is an illusion that you can keep out all EMI-sources even with the best metal housings
if you have a wide open door i.e. the reference negative line.
(it makes no difference if the positive reference line is buffered or not).
The best chokes have around 10 dB EMI reduction. (perhaps up to 20 dB if you have luck and the right frequency).
A capacitor easyly dampens > 20 dB if the wires are kept short.
So If you can switch off all EMI-sources during a measurement, can use shielded transformers which are hard to get in single quantities then its the best solution for you. But I fear most hobby volt-nuts do not have a shielded EMI-cabinet with multiple stage filters for the power supply.
So my needs are clear:
- I do not want to have different output values in my "lab" independent of the gear that I or my neighbour is using.
- I also do not want to have different readings when I take my references into a unknown environment e.g. for calibration.This is an area where theory ends and and reality begins.
So what do we have:
- no official documents from LT (no application note, no design note)
- no official published paper
- no measurement values nor a test setup to verify the story
On the other side:
I have recorded the ageing from my first 2 references over more than 6 years
there is only unusual ageing against other published papers of LTZ1000
if I short the output of the unbuffered reference.
-> Shi(f)t happens if you are working.
So what you describe (if it really exists) can only be a 2nd order effect.
with best regards
Andreas
Over n' Out. Have fun folks! Sorry if I've offended anyone here with advice & tips that has kept our equipment running to spec for some 30+ years, including LTZ's.