), at least for embedded/hobby stuff. Why put Linux on these chips? Its nice for routers/IoT i guess. I will tell more once i get the actual chips. I am also planning to port my OS to it.Linux is a big and long pole in the ass, everybody (including the big pig Banzi in Arduino) can jabber on bullshit about opensource, freedom![]()
![]()
![]()
It's always this kind of shit from those who want to sell you something, but what matters is all the shitty code in linux is a big a long pole in the ass when *YOU* have to provide assistance.
Because you will not be paid enough for the effort you need to continuously-endlessly-incessantly-unceasingly-ceaselessly invest.![]()
![]()
The code changes and it changes faster than you can metabolize, you need to stay "on the tree" more than the trains have to stay on rails.
If you don't, you derail, like when you have deal a kernel module written for kernel version A, which needs to be moved to kernel version B, and everything starts to break, and you have a deadline.
snip long story....
I'm I being hopeful to think that there might be a ready to go linux port for the dev boards?
This already exists in the form of the Xilinx Zynq. The development tools are much more mature.
Once you couple to an FPGA for vision, you have left the $5 Market. There are already $50 to $5000 FPGAs with embedded ARM chips that solve the problem.
As for the QFP.... That ship has sailed. Other than the Adafruit hobby market (who don't count in terms of sales), no one who does real work cares it is a BGA.
Microchip Direct is showing that there are dev board systems avaialble for immediate purchase.
Microchip Direct is showing that there are dev board systems avaialble for immediate purchase.
...with the internal RAM?
that one linked above has external DRAM. (and costs $140 for a dev board!!! that's a bit steeper than a beaglebone black wireless or a beaglebone blue, which are basically dev boards for the octavo systems part)
...with the internal RAM?
Microchip Direct is showing that there are dev board systems avaialble for immediate purchase.
...with the internal RAM?
that one linked above has external DRAM. (and costs $140 for a dev board!!! that's a bit steeper than a beaglebone black wireless or a beaglebone blue, which are basically dev boards for the octavo systems part)
That's why i'm waiting for olimex' board
Microchip Direct is showing that there are dev board systems avaialble for immediate purchase.
...with the internal RAM?
that one linked above has external DRAM. (and costs $140 for a dev board!!! that's a bit steeper than a beaglebone black wireless or a beaglebone blue, which are basically dev boards for the octavo systems part)
That's why i'm waiting for olimex' board
The problem with dev boards is that they're pretty useless without a vendor supported board support package. So while the Microchip dev boards might not seem cheap, at least you won't spend days pissing about trying to make a non-standard board blink an LED.
OK, I'm being a tad dramatic, but I'm sure you get my point!
(But of course, you will get to spend weeks and months pissing about with Harmony instead)
The problem with dev boards is that they're pretty useless without a vendor supported board support package. So while the Microchip dev boards might not seem cheap, at least you won't spend days pissing about trying to make a non-standard board blink an LED.
OK, I'm being a tad dramatic, but I'm sure you get my point!
(But of course, you will get to spend weeks and months pissing about with Harmony instead)
Hi Andrew,
While the PIC32MZDA chips are starting to enter the wild officially today [1], Microchip is currently not officially supporting Linux on these processors (not to be confused with the processors technically supporting Linux). It is likely that community support will get energized to continue to support a Linux ecosystem on these processors, but this has yet to materialize. I am closely monitoring and am personally interested in such a situation.
I would encourage you to take a look at the SAM9x5/SAMA5 ARM parts that Microchip does officially support Linux on [2,3]. Linux support for these parts is very mature, they have more horsepower than PIC32MZDA while still being very low power, and inevitably there will be a bright, reinforced future for these lines of processors. This is where all of our Linux focus is right now.
[1] https://www.microchip.com/pressreleasepage/microchip-introduces-PIC32MZDA
[2] http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM
[3] http://www.microchip.com/design-centers/32-bit-mpus
Josh
From:
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:14 PM
To: Joshua Henderson - C16205
Subject: PIC32MZDA Linux.
Hi Joshua,
I found your repo https://github.com/joshua-henderson/linux-pic32 Now that the DA chips are available and the Dev Boards are as well, could you tell me what the status of Linux on these things is? I see that the git repo’s when quiet about a year ago.. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Heres a copy of the email i had from someone at MicrochipQuote
Hi Andrew,
While the PIC32MZDA chips are starting to enter the wild officially today [1], Microchip is currently not officially supporting Linux on these processors (not to be confused with the processors technically supporting Linux). It is likely that community support will get energized to continue to support a Linux ecosystem on these processors, but this has yet to materialize. I am closely monitoring and am personally interested in such a situation.
I would encourage you to take a look at the SAM9x5/SAMA5 ARM parts that Microchip does officially support Linux on [2,3]. Linux support for these parts is very mature, they have more horsepower than PIC32MZDA while still being very low power, and inevitably there will be a bright, reinforced future for these lines of processors. This is where all of our Linux focus is right now.
[1] https://www.microchip.com/pressreleasepage/microchip-introduces-PIC32MZDA
[2] http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM
[3] http://www.microchip.com/design-centers/32-bit-mpus
Josh
From:
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:14 PM
To: Joshua Henderson - C16205
Subject: PIC32MZDA Linux.
Hi Joshua,
I found your repo https://github.com/joshua-henderson/linux-pic32 Now that the DA chips are available and the Dev Boards are as well, could you tell me what the status of Linux on these things is? I see that the git repo’s when quiet about a year ago.. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
The big advantage of the DA with the embedded memory is that its largely all contained.. Add a clock, power, I/O, ethernet or usb if you need, and your done. The Arm based processors need DRAM attached on the side and that does complicate things and size..
The big advantage of the DA with the embedded memory is that its largely all contained.. Add a clock, power, I/O, ethernet or usb if you need, and your done. The Arm based processors need DRAM attached on the side and that does complicate things and size..
People like to whine about Harmony. They also like to whine about MPLAB X and the XC compilers, and well, everything else. For me, I don't see what the big problem is. There's been a few bugs, but no show stoppers in recent harmony versions. If you're trying to use harmony to build some 'next to the hardware' application or something which requires medical grade reliability, then harmony isn't for you. If instead, you're looking for a decent TCP/IP and USB stack engineered for a resource constrained system, it really isn't that bad. Use harmony for what it's good at and write your own code for what it isn't.
I totally get why Linux is attractive though. I just don't feel that this part was designed for that application in mind.
...with the internal RAM?
http://www.microchip.com/Developmenttools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=DM320010 $130 and lots in stock.
...with the internal RAM?
http://www.microchip.com/Developmenttools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=DM320010 $130 and lots in stock.
Ordered two yesterday, and they just arrived on my desk!