I believe the Prologix developer spent quite a lot of time getting his adapter to work with various kinds of instruments, your work may be simpler if you just want to support a limited set of instruments. Not supporting standard APIs like VISA means you won't be able to use any off the shelf software. Probably not a big deal for a piece of 1980s equipment with only software for the HP85, though it might be nice to be able to use the Agilent Intuilink software for the 33120A.
But good luck on your project, it would be good to have a cheap option (outside that useless Softmark thing) for hobbyists.
There are some GPIB implementations on AVR out there, like this and this. No idea how functional they are.
I am extremely happy if I do not need API's and Drivers. I just want to send a command and get a reply back.
I would have purchased one of the Softmark interfaces if they just made it more open. I do not want to have to use their rather lame software.
To me Visa drivers and Labview are two of the worse things to have happened to instrumentation. It was done with the best intentions, but the results are a mess. The Visa drivers tend to be the most over-bloated problematic and poorly designed pieces of software around, and until there is an Opensource Labview equivalent, I do not want to touch it. I am more then happy to replace 500MBytes+ of dodgy software which will only run on specific platforms with a 20 byte text string that I work out from the manual that can be sent from anything. (If you don't believe me, just try and install the Agilent and NI Visa drivers on the same PC). With a telnet-compatible driverless Ethernet GPIB converter, I could even control the instruments from my mobile phone! I can get Python and Lua sricpting for my phone so the phone could grab the data and make a CVS. That is real power.
I would have purchased one of the Softmark interfaces if they just made it more open. I do not want to have to use their rather lame software.
and I never want the phrase "Visa Drivers" mentioned even in jest ... I am extremely happy if I do not need API's and Drivers
serial command in arduino IDE is generic one (you can do anything with it) but with slow and unautomated manned (manual typing the command) operation.i never do the GPIB, but the way i see, command to specific device is not that important, its a matter of getting it from the device documentation. the most important thing is the converter, ie to make pin compatible from USB to GPIB, translation will be done in mcu (arduino) should not be hard to do once the GPIB protocol and pin arrangement is understood (me not yet).
but any devices/chip that are going to be connected to an OS will need a driver and API/SDK. even arduino are going to need FTDI API dll (or that not so my flavored serial port command in the IDE), i only never heard a device without a driver/api, except serial and parallel port (whose drivers are actually embedded in the OS).
Quoteand I never want the phrase "Visa Drivers" mentioned even in jest ... I am extremely happy if I do not need API's and Drivers
and the software/GUI is another story, thats a higher level of abstraction, others have made their opinion on that. in my word, you got to diy if you dont like off-d-shelfserial command in arduino IDE is generic one (you can do anything with it) but with slow and unautomated manned (manual typing the command) operation.
I seem to remember that Windows 7 recognized it without loading any driver
I want both the manual command option in a terminal window, and also the ability to embed the commands in scripts which will probably run as fast as I need. Both should be straightforward.
To me Visa drivers and Labview are two of the worse things to have happened to instrumentation. It was done with the best intentions, but the results are a mess. The Visa drivers tend to be the most over-bloated problematic and poorly designed pieces of software around, and until there is
I don't like labview, or most vendor instrument "drivers", but I quite like VISA, bloated as it is. It has some issues -- some of which are problems with VISA and some are problems with vendor implementations, but in the end it basically delivers. I can write an application in python, matlab, labview, or most anything else and it can transparently talk to devices over GPIB, RS232, USB, ethernet, or devices connected to a remote host by any of those protocols simply by changing the device string. A GPIB adapter that isn't VISA compatible would be a deal breaker for me.
You also need open collectors for most lines.
Then some magic happened. GPIB became professional, became really expensive and suddenly requires interface gear more expensive then several home computers in the good old days.
If they had a micro at all. Some of the early GPIB devices were built from just discrete logic.
Could it be the reset pin? When I connect the terminal program to the serial port, the FT232RL resets the Arduino on the Duemilanove board! Ouch!
A day later and I am still nowhere.


But USB to GPIB converters in general are bad news - the port changes every time you plug it into a different USB connector on the PC
I have been wanting to drive some GPIB meters, function generators, etc for ages, but I don't want to pay for the excellent Prologic converters. One converter costs more that I paid for any of my GPIB instruments (except for the HP33120A), and for the money, you still only get one converter. I want something cheap enough so that if you want to run instruments in different locations, you can afford to have as many converters as you need.
Also I want something that can be run from any computer, and I never want the phrase "Visa Drivers" mentioned even in jest.
Should be able to put together a GPIB Server to USB for well under $20 providing you have an old GPIB cable you can murder. The Ethernet version will add a big $24 to the cost.
Actually I want two converters - a GPIB to USB and a GPIB to Ethernet. I really think Ethernet is the way to go. I have a pair of Ethernet over the Power line transceivers, so I would be able to have the instruments running anywhere I have a powerpoint, and control it from any other computer on my home network.
Since one of those days my trusty old parport machine is going to go *urgle* AND since I just had a new addition to the GPIB collection AND since there will probably be another addition in the foreseable future maybe now is the time to DIY a somewhat nicer solution. Oh and for the free_electron's amongst us, that 2002 DIY solution does service SRQ's and does binary transfers. I even used perl, and for the new solution I will use python for my scripting. So there. 
The goal is to make something good enough to be able to send a string command to an instrument, and to read back a string response. That is enough to be able to set up a function generator or DMM, and to be able to automate readings from a DMM. Any scripting language that can talk to a RS232 port or an Ethernet port will be all that is needed, so I could even run a macro from a spreadsheet and have the spreadsheet dump process the data as it comes in. LibreOffice (OpenOffce) gives a choice of Basic, Javascript, Python or Java Beanshell for macro languages. Alternatively a simple standalone script can dump readings into a CSV file.