Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15543170 times)

EggertEnjoyer123 and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #96975 on: August 09, 2021, 07:41:08 pm »
Cheap boxed HP 10544A OCXO on ebay UK for any budding time nut or as counter upgrade
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224566128610
£25 inc post BIN and looks well made.

OK, which of you bastards had that out from under my nose?  :)

My mouse was moving to the "Buy It Now" button when the listing changed to "finished" in front of my eyes.

Sorry  :-DD

I'll share it with you. You can have it alternative weekends if you pay child support :)

Now proceeding with pointless rearrangement of my corner...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #96976 on: August 09, 2021, 07:52:04 pm »
Cheap boxed HP 10544A OCXO on ebay UK for any budding time nut or as counter upgrade

My mouse was moving to the "Buy It Now" button when the listing changed to "finished" in front of my eyes.

Edit: Ha! Now I know.

"Darling, I've got to go out for a bit." 
"Twickenham."
"What clanking sound?"
"Yes, I do need to take the last two rolls of gaffa tape with me."

Remember to also take a carpet.
You are not in Naples, you do not have a volcano nearby to dispose of organic matter ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #96977 on: August 09, 2021, 07:53:16 pm »
It were almost me; 60 bux delivered was tempting AF. But then I realized I don't have a address to send it to yet, and I hesitated...

Fuck you, bd.  >:D

mnem
cordially, as always. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96978 on: August 09, 2021, 07:55:09 pm »

https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com

Huh... just stumbled across this during a random trawl. I wonder if anyone has done the same with Maplin and/or Dick Smith...?

mnem
*nibbling on a celery*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 07:59:03 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96979 on: August 09, 2021, 07:56:00 pm »
You are not in Naples, you do not have a volcano nearby to dispose of organic matter ...

We have the Thames over here  8).

Actually fuck, why am I giving him ideas?  :-DD

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #96980 on: August 09, 2021, 07:59:00 pm »
Its gone but the 10811As are better anyway.
The SC cut ones age upwards so after some decades it can happen that the tuning cannot get them down to exactly 10MHz. Stay away from seller silosurplus (sent two broken units but claims everything is tested).

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96981 on: August 09, 2021, 08:02:06 pm »

I'll share it with you. You can have it alternative weekends if you pay child support :)

Two words and a two word phrase come to mind: "Teenagers", "Stomach" and "Bottomless pit".

I'll pass ...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96982 on: August 09, 2021, 08:05:17 pm »
The SC cut ones age upwards so after some decades it can happen that the tuning cannot get them down to exactly 10MHz. Stay away from seller silosurplus (sent two broken units but claims everything is tested).

Yeah always a risk.

I've been after a combination of a 5334B + retrofit OCXO + retrofit 1.3GHz option for some stuff and this does the job well enough for that as it is a slot in option. 1 Hz is fine. Just the build in xtal ref on those are absolute drifty shit.

here's one I did a couple of years back...

Two words and a two word phrase come to mind: "Teenagers", "Stomach" and "Bottomless pit".

I'll pass ...

I've got three of them. Do you want a couple? Free of charge!

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96983 on: August 09, 2021, 08:08:41 pm »

I wanted it to keep my 10811-60260 company.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96984 on: August 09, 2021, 08:10:41 pm »

Yeah always a risk.

I've been after a combination of a 5334B + retrofit OCXO + retrofit 1.3GHz option for some stuff and this does the job well enough for that as it is a slot in option. 1 Hz is fine. Just the build in xtal ref on those are absolute drifty shit.

here's one I did a couple of years back...

I'll pass ...

Fried or boiled?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96985 on: August 09, 2021, 08:12:36 pm »

Two words and a two word phrase come to mind: "Teenagers", "Stomach" and "Bottomless pit".   I'll pass ...

I think he was alluding to the notion of having to feed yours, knowing scant few years had gone since his own were out of the house...  :-DD

mnem
nope, still no popcorn; I a good widdle dwagon. >:D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96986 on: August 09, 2021, 08:16:23 pm »

I'll pass ...

Fried or boiled?

Judging by the smell in here, mostly pickled.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #96987 on: August 09, 2021, 08:18:59 pm »
Some TE listed today here in Germany (NAWTS, sorry, seller will not deliver to the UK)

Agilent 6644A PSU 0-60V, 3.5A
https://www.ebay.de/itm/133843563641

HP 3456A
https://www.ebay.de/itm/403057097306

HP 33120A function generator
https://www.ebay.de/itm/403057053023

Keysight N3300A, DC Electronic Load with N3306A
https://www.ebay.de/itm/133842956446

Keithley 7002 Switch System, comes with:
1 x 7011-C, Quad 1x10 Multiplexer
2 x 7012-C, 4x10 Matrix
2 x 7013-C, 20-Ch. Relais Switch
https://www.ebay.de/itm/133842918344

Keithley 7002 Switch System, comes with:
1 x 7011-C, Quad 1x10 Multiplexer
2 x 7012-C, 4x10 Matrix
2 x 7013-C, 20-Ch. Relais Switch
https://www.ebay.de/itm/403054855932

Yes, there are two of those Keithleys.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96988 on: August 09, 2021, 08:24:44 pm »
Oh this has pissed me off this has.

About 10 years ago I bought a nice Blundell Harling acrylic ruler here for general use. It eventually wore out i.e. all the markings started coming off. So I ordered a replacement a few weeks back. I stuffed it next to my new one and the markings are slightly out. Finally found my metal ruler to compare. Looks like I've been using a quite frankly incorrect ruler for the last 10 years. This might explain a few problems!  >:(

Order top to bottom: New BH, Old BH, cheap chinese metal ruler.

Another "quality British product". Needs to be a turd emoji on this forum.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96989 on: August 09, 2021, 08:33:18 pm »

Tektronix Probe Tip Extractor and 10 Probe Tips for P6202A /P6420 NEW Original

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313535595413

Stumbled across this on a random ebay trawl. I'm sure there is someone in here who just effing needs this little bundle. ;)

mnem

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 08:35:04 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96990 on: August 09, 2021, 08:36:42 pm »

About 10 years ago I bought a nice Blundell Harling acrylic ruler here for general use. It eventually wore out i.e. all the markings started coming off. So I ordered a replacement a few weeks back. I stuffed it next to my new one and the markings are slightly out. Finally found my metal ruler to compare. Looks like I've been using a quite frankly incorrect ruler for the last 10 years. This might explain a few problems!  >:(

One can't expect a printed plastic ruler to be accurate. The markings are likely printed with either flexography  (I think the name gives away the potential issues here)  or screen printed  -again innately involving  the screen being elastically deformed during the printing process. Getting better than say 1/2 a mm in 300mm would be a tall order.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, ch_scr, syau

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96991 on: August 09, 2021, 08:37:44 pm »

We have the Thames over here  8).

Actually fuck, why am I giving him ideas?  :-DD
Nah, your OK there was zero mention of his ceremonial cutlery being cleaned or prepared   >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96992 on: August 09, 2021, 08:42:56 pm »

Here you go buddy:  💩

mnem
finally... something Android is good for. :o
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 08:44:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #96993 on: August 09, 2021, 08:46:53 pm »
The NYC subway system plus 3rd rail operations into Grand Central Terminal are 600VDC. Not sure about other cities like Boston but wouldn't surprise me if they were DC too.

Most streetcars, light rail and underground is low voltage[0] DC, in Europe too. Until not too long ago, it was implemented with rotary converters.

In Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Norway and Sweden (and possibly a few more, but those I'm certain of) catenary voltage for normal trains is 15KV 16 2/3 Hz single phase. (Three-phase was experimented with, and a test track was built in Germany, where an AEG electric engine set a world speed record that took some time to beat.) It was chosen for its good match with the rpms convenient with the large motors of the time, and being 1/3 of 50Hz. For some railways in Sweden, like the "Malmbanan" (="ore railway") Luleå-Kiruna-Narvik, a special power station was built (in Porjus for the Malmbanan) that did generate the correct frequency in a single-phase system, but for most of the remainder of the country, there were rotary conversion systems fed from the 50Hz 3ph grid, the last such system delivered in 1978. They frequently were built moveable on railway cars, which normally were parked in bunkers adjacent to the line. (We sure like to put things we care about underground, we do.)

In the 80's, high voltage/power semiconductors for power modulation became good enough to permit conversion from 50Hz to 16 2/3Hz to be done in silicon, and that's been the norm ever since.

• In Sweden, "low voltage" is defined to be between 50 and 1000 volts. High voltage is above, and SELV is below.

A catenary designed today typically is at normal line frequency, and slightly higher in voltage, because that would be cheaper in the supply side.  The engines make DC of it as soon as it leaves the HV transformer anyway, to make 3-phase variable frequency for the drive motors.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96994 on: August 09, 2021, 08:52:08 pm »
Remember to also take a carpet.   You are not in Naples, you do not have a volcano nearby to dispose of organic matter ...
We have the Thames over here  8).   Actually fuck, why am I giving him ideas?  :-DD
Nah, you're OK; there was zero mention of his ceremonial cutlery being cleaned or prepared   >:D
That would've been "What clanking sound?" immediately after "Twickenham." ;)

mnem
lord 'elp me... I think I understood that exchange.  :scared:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 08:57:50 pm by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #96995 on: August 09, 2021, 08:52:29 pm »
Considering a matching low ball bid on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114903265366 now as well  :-DD

I've bought from that seller -- Clansman gear of course. Worked well, and did arrive in good condition.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96996 on: August 09, 2021, 09:01:44 pm »

One can't expect a printed plastic ruler to be accurate. The markings are likely printed with either flexography  (I think the name gives away the potential issues here)  or screen printed  -again innately involving  the screen being elastically deformed during the printing process. Getting better than say 1/2 a mm in 300mm would be a tall order.

Until you check them all agin' yer cheap Chinese digital calipers, you'll never know which is right...  >:D

mnem
*unruly*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96997 on: August 09, 2021, 09:07:10 pm »
Considering a matching low ball bid on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114903265366 now as well  :-DD

I've bought from that seller -- Clansman gear of course. Worked well, and did arrive in good condition.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. It has been up there a couple of weeks. I'll jump on it in a couple of days probably.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96998 on: August 09, 2021, 09:27:17 pm »
@Specmaster
You got the £100 Tek 720 then  :-+

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96999 on: August 09, 2021, 09:28:05 pm »
lord 'elp me... I think I understood that exchange.  :scared:

Simple, you have a wife and therefore understand the predictive compression algorithm that I used.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf