Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15537129 times)

gilmod714 and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47050 on: January 14, 2020, 08:04:03 pm »
@Cerebus: ROFLCYCIH!

@Cubdriver: Better all that TEA than THIS:   

mnem
"Honey, come move this transmission so I can take a bath... " ~ True Story. :o

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:05:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47051 on: January 14, 2020, 08:16:14 pm »

Yes, as with most things that men do... our hobby is expensive. Limiting the available funds is part of how we keep ourselves from doing the REALLY stupid shit we would do if we had unlimited funds, free time, and no adult/female supervision.  :-DD

I WISH that the first two were true, but can definitely relate to the issues that result when the latter is...

TEA sans supervision/moderation by the fairer sex:

-Pat

Whatever you do don't bring a woman home. She will think you are a loser or serial killer and run in the other direction.  :-DD :-DD

Tell them they are worth a lot of shoes and business sorted.  8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47052 on: January 14, 2020, 08:38:07 pm »
Tell them they are worth a lot of shoes and business sorted.  8)

Just don't look them up and down like you're assessing a side of leather while you're saying that. "A lot of shoes, a lot... Do you like Chianti?"
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47053 on: January 14, 2020, 08:38:49 pm »

... I recapped the PSU and everything was within budget until the CRT decided to shit the bed...

I’m from New Hampshire and a friend of mine from Massachusetts and I were talking about expressions that were regional, that people from other parts of the country just wouldn’t understand. He had been an instructor for a large company and had to travel around the U.S. giving talks to sales managers on the company’s new products.

What he found was once he was outside of New England he would get really puzzling looks whenever he said something had ‘shit the bed’ because no one had any idea what he was talking about. It then became like the joke you have to explain because no one gets the punch line. By the time you're through explaining, everything is still muddied and everyone is still looking puzzled. With the EEVBlogs being international there are a lot of expressions that lose something in the translation but I’m surprised at how ingenious others are at conveying an abstract concept like a joke. ‘Shit the bed’ may be one expression that is very hard to explain. 

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #47054 on: January 14, 2020, 08:42:26 pm »
Pat what`s up with the 575?

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #47055 on: January 14, 2020, 08:43:53 pm »

Yes, as with most things that men do... our hobby is expensive. Limiting the available funds is part of how we keep ourselves from doing the REALLY stupid shit we would do if we had unlimited funds, free time, and no adult/female supervision.  :-DD

I WISH that the first two were true, but can definitely relate to the issues that result when the latter is...

-Pat

Pat,  need to get all that gear working and setup where it can be used.  Thats the fun part.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47056 on: January 14, 2020, 08:49:48 pm »
What he found was once he was outside of New England he would get really puzzling looks whenever he said something had ‘shit the bed’ because no one had any idea what he was talking about.

I find that odd. Everybody understands 'shit', everybody understands 'bed' and at sometime in their early youth everybody has done it. The meaning seems quite innately clear and a little bit of context makes it crystal clear.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47057 on: January 14, 2020, 08:51:44 pm »
Now that's scary...  I had to do a double take on the 575 on the cart to make sure that wasn't my lab!!!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47058 on: January 14, 2020, 08:54:08 pm »

... I recapped the PSU and everything was within budget until the CRT decided to shit the bed...

I’m from New Hampshire and a friend of mine from Massachusetts and I were talking about expressions that were regional, that people from other parts of the country just wouldn’t understand. He had been an instructor for a large company and had to travel around the U.S. giving talks to sales managers on the company’s new products.

What he found was once he was outside of New England he would get really puzzling looks whenever he said something had ‘shit the bed’ because no one had any idea what he was talking about. It then became like the joke you have to explain because no one gets the punch line. By the time you're through explaining, everything is still muddied and everyone is still looking puzzled. With the EEVBlogs being international there are a lot of expressions that lose something in the translation but I’m surprised at how ingenious others are at conveying an abstract concept like a joke. ‘Shit the bed’ may be one expression that is very hard to explain.

One expression from New England that will truly confuse everyone, including this New Yorker the first time he heard it, was "dooryard".

That's any area outside the front door. First time I heard it is was  :wtf:  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47059 on: January 14, 2020, 08:55:02 pm »
What he found was once he was outside of New England he would get really puzzling looks whenever he said something had ‘shit the bed’ because no one had any idea what he was talking about.

I find that odd. Everybody understands 'shit', everybody understands 'bed' and at sometime in their early youth everybody has done it. The meaning seems quite innately clear and a little bit of context makes it crystal clear.

Agreed.  :-+ :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #47060 on: January 14, 2020, 08:59:34 pm »
The connotative value here is that the thing in question has died or, as you on the other side of the pond might say, "gone tits up".

That's not exactly obvious in a literal sense from the saying; though may or may not be apparent from individual context. Even from your dissection of the term my first assumption would be that the thing or person had done "something very embarrassing, but that has happened to almost every one of us"...

mnem
Etymology is not "the study of insects".
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47061 on: January 14, 2020, 09:04:13 pm »

Speak for yourself  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47062 on: January 14, 2020, 09:06:24 pm »

:wtf: I thought that was an old man's problem only   >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47063 on: January 14, 2020, 09:10:02 pm »

:wtf: I thought that was an old man's problem only   >:D

Well as the comedian George Carlin once said "Once you reach a certain old age you can shit your pants and nobody cares"  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #47064 on: January 14, 2020, 09:25:11 pm »
Pat what`s up with the 575?

Hi Martin -

It's a mod C that I got with cart as 'local' pickup (read that as somewhere north of Worcester, MA, about 2.5 hrs away) a few years ago from the bay of turpitude.  It's working, just needs a good cleaning to pretty it up.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #47065 on: January 14, 2020, 09:30:30 pm »

-Pat

Pat,  need to get all that gear working and setup where it can be used.  Thats the fun part.

LOL - that's the plan!  (In my 'spare' time, so called because I have so little of it!)  (It would be prudent to stay OFF of ebay so as not to continue adding to the piles, but, well, I'm here in this thread, aren't I?  'nuff said...)  In the meantime, the cats enjoy climbing on it.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47066 on: January 14, 2020, 09:32:17 pm »
The connotative value here is that the thing in question has died or, as you on the other side of the pond might say, "gone tits up".

That's not exactly obvious in a literal sense from the saying; though may or may not be apparent from individual context. Even from your dissection of the term my first assumption would be that the thing or person had done "something very embarrassing, but that has happened to almost every one of us"...

mnem
Etymology is not "the study of insects".

The proper etymology is that it has 'shit the bed' because it has died, its sphincter muscles have relaxed and the natural has followed. But I was arriving at it from the point of view of a listener who'd never heard it before and had to second guess the meaning from the innate notion implied in the words of "it failed to perform properly and messed up" and with a little bit of context, say "the piston rod shit the bed", and you arrive at the correct meaning from the wrong reasoning. It's not right, but it's enough to understand what someone meant. I'd gleaned the meaning of the phrase well before I knew the proper derivation.

I've always taken the phrase to imply that the item in question didn't simply die, but that it made an unpleasant mess of other things in doing do.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47067 on: January 14, 2020, 09:50:13 pm »
@Cerebus: ROFLCYCIH!

@Cubdriver: Better all that TEA than THIS:    (Attachment Link)

mnem
"Honey, come move this transmission so I can take a bath... " ~ True Story. :o

Typical Redneck
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #47068 on: January 14, 2020, 10:01:49 pm »

Or become "US" (unservicable), according to legend invented during WW2 to annoy the friendly invaders :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47069 on: January 14, 2020, 10:10:02 pm »
Today my Fluke / Philips PM6681 arrived. Including a nice ring file with the owner's manual and the programmer's manual.

I've powered it on first before I turned it apart. The  vent is a bit loud, perhaps it has some issues with the  bearing.

Front side, feeded in 10MHz from my RTB 2004:

Back side, lots of dust but no bugs:

There was this mysterious plastic thing on the frontside. Turns out: this is a cable holder!
It sits directly on the spare hole for the C-input (prescaler 3GHz for example)

Case opened, top view.

Replaced CR2032 battery:

The old CR2032 had only 3V left, I've measured the new one with 3.3V

Mains input with mains rectifier. No RIFA madness in sight.

The shielded inputs A and B and a high sophisticated delay line.

This is a funny bodge, no idea if this was done by Fluke or the previous owner.

Some multipliers next to this bodged oscillator:

This is the 10MHz oscillator:

And next to it sits the 100MHz multiplier:

This is the bottom side, upper part:

lower part with PSU:

Lots of wiggly lines:

Manuals:
Operators manual:

Programming manual:

Next step is cleaning this buddy and checking the electrolytics with my incoming DER EE 5000 (should arrive by end of the month)

And then I'll add a 3GHz prescaler and a 10MHz OCXO to improve stability.

Edit:
Added the read-outs of the two AM27C010-70 EEPROMs.
V. 1.05 - Rev. 14

Edit 2:
Somebody found the Calver81 software which is needed to calibrate this counter:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/philips-fluke-pm6680-cnt-81-frequency-counter-firmware-and-cal-constants/msg3570350/#msg3570350

Hope you've enjoyed this little teardown.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 04:09:05 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: jadew, edavid, bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, URI, FransW, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47070 on: January 14, 2020, 10:15:07 pm »

Or become "US" (unservicable), according to legend invented during WW2 to annoy the friendly invaders :)

Say what you want we stole your women.  :P :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47071 on: January 14, 2020, 10:24:16 pm »

Those weren't women, those were dockers in dresses. How many women do you see with lush beards and hands so rough you could sandpaper with them (outside Arkansas, obviously)?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47072 on: January 14, 2020, 10:37:13 pm »

Those weren't women, those were dockers in dresses. How many women do you see with lush beards and hands so rough you could sandpaper with them (outside Arkansas, obviously)?

Don't look like dockers in dresses to me.  :-//   (Could only find the scene dubbed in French. Somehow I can't imagine Lee Marvin speaking french.  :-DD)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47073 on: January 14, 2020, 11:04:14 pm »
Er Med, you do realize that those are actors don't you?  :)

We definitely only let the Yanks near the Dockland Drag Queens - War ministry edict - all the actual tottie was needed for the Brylcreem boys in the RAF.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:08:20 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47074 on: January 14, 2020, 11:14:04 pm »
Er Med, you do realize that those are actors don't you?  :)

We definitely only let the Yanks near the Dockland Drag Queens - War ministry edict - all the actual tottie was needed for the Brylcreem boys in the RAF.

It would be wise for you to pull up the Urban Dictionary and check out all the meanings for "tottie"   >:D :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf