He specifically wants a comparison between classic analog CRT (direct writing of CRT with analog X/Y beam deflection) and modern real time DSO as a replacement.
He specifically wants a comparison between classic analog CRT (direct writing of CRT with analog X/Y beam deflection) and modern real time DSO as a replacement.no. from later explanations, what he want to hear is justifiable excuse why analog is still applicable today. he doesnt care if digital is better, he only want to know why analog is better! so maybe he can scour some tek analog scope with sampling head that are still in ebay while they are still there... btw x-y art is just for kids who have nothing better to do imho, no offense... https://hackaday.com/tag/oscilloscope-art/
He specifically wants a comparison between classic analog CRT (direct writing of CRT with analog X/Y beam deflection) and modern real time DSO as a replacement.no. from later explanations, what he want to hear is justifiable excuse why analog is still applicable today. he doesnt care if digital is better, he only want to know why analog is better! so maybe he can scour some tek analog scope with sampling head that are still in ebay while they are still there... btw x-y art is just for kids who have nothing better to do imho, no offense... https://hackaday.com/tag/oscilloscope-art/
I said truth, only thing CRT scope does better is X-Y, but difference is only visible with scope art. I have no use for scope art, but i don't judge.
If someone likes it, good for them.
It might not be long before Curve Tracers become another DSO feature...

He specifically wants a comparison between classic analog CRT (direct writing of CRT with analog X/Y beam deflection) and modern real time DSO as a replacement.no. from later explanations, what he want to hear is justifiable excuse why analog is still applicable today. he doesnt care if digital is better, he only want to know why analog is better! so maybe he can scour some tek analog scope with sampling head that are still in ebay while they are still there... btw x-y art is just for kids who have nothing better to do imho, no offense... https://hackaday.com/tag/oscilloscope-art/
I said truth, only thing CRT scope does better is X-Y, but difference is only visible with scope art. I have no use for scope art, but i don't judge.
If someone likes it, good for them.
X-Y is also good for curve tracing of non-linear devices.
Occasionally, one might need a Lissajous figure display for other than Christmas decoration.
Will your DSOs update fast enough to adjust one oscillator to syntonize with another?
Will your DSOs update fast enough to adjust one oscillator to syntonize with another?
He specifically wants a comparison between classic analog CRT (direct writing of CRT with analog X/Y beam deflection) and modern real time DSO as a replacement.no. from later explanations, what he want to hear is justifiable excuse why analog is still applicable today. he doesnt care if digital is better, he only want to know why analog is better! so maybe he can scour some tek analog scope with sampling head that are still in ebay while they are still there... btw x-y art is just for kids who have nothing better to do imho, no offense... https://hackaday.com/tag/oscilloscope-art/
I said truth, only thing CRT scope does better is X-Y, but difference is only visible with scope art. I have no use for scope art, but i don't judge.
If someone likes it, good for them.
X-Y is also good for curve tracing of non-linear devices.
Occasionally, one might need a Lissajous figure display for other than Christmas decoration.
All of my scopes will do that just fine... It's really fast dynamic updates (like analog video on CRT scope) that you cannot do or only partially....



The Analog video failing seemed to bedevil DSOs for many years, especially the cheap ones, as witness many horrific displays of video waveforms appearing on the Internet.
I said truth, only thing CRT scope does better is X-Y, but difference is only visible with scope art. I have no use for scope art, but i don't judge.
If someone likes it, good for them.
I said truth, only thing CRT scope does better is X-Y, but difference is only visible with scope art. I have no use for scope art, but i don't judge.
If someone likes it, good for them.
I use my analog scope when working on vector arcade game boards. No DSO that I've tried could even display a recognizable image.
I said truth, only thing CRT scope does better is X-Y, but difference is only visible with scope art. I have no use for scope art, but i don't judge.
If someone likes it, good for them.
I use my analog scope when working on vector arcade game boards. No DSO that I've tried could even display a recognizable image.
I said truth, only thing CRT scope does better is X-Y, but difference is only visible with scope art. I have no use for scope art, but i don't judge.
If someone likes it, good for them.
I use my analog scope when working on vector arcade game boards. No DSO that I've tried could even display a recognizable image.Screenshot please.
i can see a few places where a CRT/analog oscilloscope is a preferable solution:
1. where there are tight cost and resource constraints. ie, poor people who can only afford a 2nd hand CRT scope, perhaps living in a place where new equipment is not available. think of the slums in places like india.
2. in locations where radiation hardening is necessary. for instance, off-planet. there may be such situations where semiconductors can not be depended upon, and fully-valved equipment needs to be used.
3. in situations where the displayed trace is safety-critical, and a digital solution introduces the possibility of failure modes that are not acceptable. for instance, displaying the sine wave output from a generation plant, where a DSO could fail with a frozen display. basically a CRT/analog oscilloscope provides an extremely simply display where any failure within the instrument is guaranteed to remove the trace on the screen; a DSO can lock up with a 'good' image on the display even if there is a 'bad' input signal.
the above are all extreme examples, but non-the-less could still exist in the real world.
4. it is also important that we preserve "old technology" so that if some global mishap knocks back society, we can pick up at a level of technology that is still achievable within any 'new world order' without having to go back to the stone age. for instance, if a massive solar flare knocked out all of our existing semiconductor electronics infrastructure, it would be nice for human society to be able to pick up at the level of 1920's valve technology and rebuild from there.
cheers,
rob :-)
My Siglent will lock up sometimes due to bugs and must be repowered, often losing several precisely set parameters, no analog scope will, can, fall victim to that.
My Siglent will lock up sometimes due to bugs and must be repowered, often losing several precisely set parameters, no analog scope will, can, fall victim to that.
If you said so earlier I missed it, but what model Siglent are you referring to?
What's so special about the diff amp plugin that differential probes can't do ?
I'd really like to know.
Seems like a good product/function to implement for modern DSO use, maybe in an external Differential Probe type![]()